Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
From the people who brought you... 11:47 - Jun 27 with 3568 viewsBlueBadger

...the highest covid-19 death rate in Europe
...the ferry company with no ferries
...a million quid for an upside-down union flag on a plane
and..
..the £108M contract for PPE to a few blokes selling weed killer

Now bring you 'we've bought the wrong satellites'
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jun/26/satellite-experts-oneweb-investm

Also: FOPRP.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2020 11:50]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

From the people who brought you... on 11:49 - Jun 27 with 3282 viewsFtnfwest

What Belgium?
From the people who brought you... on 11:56 - Jun 27 with 3260 viewsBlueBadger

From the people who brought you... on 11:49 - Jun 27 by Ftnfwest

What Belgium?

Eh?

FOPRP.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

From the people who brought you... on 12:19 - Jun 27 with 3215 viewsClareBlue

UK fourth highest death rate on reported deaths with Covid-19 after San Marino, Belgium and Andorra

If you take SM and Andorra and Italian and Spanish over spills, then Belgium is the highest reported deaths per million population with Covid-19

The UK is the highest absolute number in Europe for reported deaths with Covid-19. Of course the reported 'with' doesn't mean 'because of' and if the reporting is consistent across all Countries is a another debate.
From the people who brought you... on 12:29 - Jun 27 with 3184 viewsGaryCooper

The highest death rate in Europe and they clapped and clapped.
From the people who brought you... on 12:35 - Jun 27 with 3174 viewsfactual_blue

From the people who brought you... on 12:19 - Jun 27 by ClareBlue

UK fourth highest death rate on reported deaths with Covid-19 after San Marino, Belgium and Andorra

If you take SM and Andorra and Italian and Spanish over spills, then Belgium is the highest reported deaths per million population with Covid-19

The UK is the highest absolute number in Europe for reported deaths with Covid-19. Of course the reported 'with' doesn't mean 'because of' and if the reporting is consistent across all Countries is a another debate.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

From the people who brought you... on 13:21 - Jun 27 with 3103 viewsNthQldITFC

From the people who brought you... on 12:35 - Jun 27 by factual_blue

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

I kind of gave up looking at stats a month or two ago, because of the lack of consistency in method and reporting, but that page looks a bit more meaningful. Have you seen a comparison of excess death rates by country or region anywhere?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

From the people who brought you... on 13:33 - Jun 27 with 3064 viewsjaykay

do you mean the people that
p.p.e - fail
protected care homes - fail
lock down - to late
herd immunity - u turn
face masks - u turn
one of the worst death rates in europe

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

From the people who brought you... on 13:56 - Jun 27 with 3022 viewsTractorWood

It's almost like a trading bloc with our closest counterparts has benefits.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

From the people who brought you... on 14:40 - Jun 27 with 2952 viewsPablokuqi

From the people who brought you... on 12:19 - Jun 27 by ClareBlue

That is assuming they are recoding and measuring the same things. They are not.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/why-belgium-has-the-worlds-highest-

Using the Belgium measuring method add 20000 on to our figures.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-deaths-uk-cases-ons-pandem

Let's stop this Belgium death rate worse than UK myth. That is not to say Italy or Spain haven't underestimated either for example.
From the people who brought you... on 15:48 - Jun 27 with 2880 viewsNthsuffolkblue

From the people who brought you... on 14:40 - Jun 27 by Pablokuqi

That is assuming they are recoding and measuring the same things. They are not.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/why-belgium-has-the-worlds-highest-

Using the Belgium measuring method add 20000 on to our figures.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-deaths-uk-cases-ons-pandem

Let's stop this Belgium death rate worse than UK myth. That is not to say Italy or Spain haven't underestimated either for example.

Excess deaths has to the best fair measure to look at (but won't necessarily completely correlate with deaths directly due to Covid-19.

However, I am not sure a clear comparison of these by country is easily available. The FT had been running something similar as their comparison. Can't find anything especially up-to-date.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

From the people who brought you... on 16:10 - Jun 27 with 2858 viewsbrazil1982

The flag has been applied correctly to the plane, sorry.
From the people who brought you... on 16:28 - Jun 27 with 2822 viewsjeera

From the people who brought you... on 13:33 - Jun 27 by jaykay

do you mean the people that
p.p.e - fail
protected care homes - fail
lock down - to late
herd immunity - u turn
face masks - u turn
one of the worst death rates in europe

We do know that many millions have been wasted on faulty swabs and faulty ppe, all paid for up front I believe?

The ferry fiasco was in excess of 80 million and overall I've seen estimations of cash wasted by Grayling go as far as almost 3 billion overall.

BJ did tens of millions as Mayor on various rubbish.

They think that taxpayers money is there for them to play with as a toy.

The people can go fck themselves. - it's all a game.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

From the people who brought you... on 17:56 - Jun 27 with 2758 viewsBlueBadger

From the people who brought you... on 16:10 - Jun 27 by brazil1982

The flag has been applied correctly to the plane, sorry.

Ah well, now it's definitely value for money.

From the people who brought you... on 07:54 - Jun 28 with 2517 viewsbluejacko

Just a couple of points you have missed,
The Ferry company was Arklow shipping from Ireland and Holland who have a few ships floating about! So I am sure that if they were not told by the Irish govt not to help BREXIT a couple of ferries wouldn’t have been hard to come by.
How you can even imagine that the RAF could allow the flag to be applied on the plane backwards is beyond belief! Other threads have dealt with this.
Now back to the present the NHS (bless em)is now debt free I believe,Let’s see how long it is before the debts rack up again due to bad management not the actual govt.
From the people who brought you... on 09:01 - Jun 28 with 2456 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

From the people who brought you... on 07:54 - Jun 28 by bluejacko

Just a couple of points you have missed,
The Ferry company was Arklow shipping from Ireland and Holland who have a few ships floating about! So I am sure that if they were not told by the Irish govt not to help BREXIT a couple of ferries wouldn’t have been hard to come by.
How you can even imagine that the RAF could allow the flag to be applied on the plane backwards is beyond belief! Other threads have dealt with this.
Now back to the present the NHS (bless em)is now debt free I believe,Let’s see how long it is before the debts rack up again due to bad management not the actual govt.

The Ferry company was Arklow shipping - not Seaborne Freight then as widely reported at the time?

How you can even imagine that the RAF could allow the flag to be applied on the plane backwards is beyond belief! - what is beyond belief is that a Prime Minister can imagine that spunking the best part of a million quid , especially at this particular time, to create his vanity (Royal) Air Force One is an acceptable use of public funds. And that surely was the point.

the NHS is now debt free - the NHS has ALWAYS been debt free. Aren't the "debts" owed by one part of a government owned entity (the NHS Trusts) to other government run entities (the Department for Health and Social Care)? And wasn't the creation of this and other internal markets the precursor to splitting up and selling off NHS services to private companies? And wasn't the highly bureaucratic and inefficient management layer unnecessarily imposed by this internal market set up the author of much of the "debt"? And hasn't this whole charade inevitably led to regional health inequality? Oh, and weren't the government being pressured into (and largely agreeing to) writing off this "debt" nearly 2 years ago? Resetting the counters will do nothing to address the base problems which were DESIGNED to generate "debt".
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 9:01]

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

From the people who brought you... on 09:10 - Jun 28 with 2427 viewsHerbivore

From the people who brought you... on 12:29 - Jun 27 by GaryCooper

The highest death rate in Europe and they clapped and clapped.

People were clapping the people working on the frontline, mate, not the government.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

From the people who brought you... on 09:24 - Jun 28 with 2407 viewsbluejacko

From the people who brought you... on 09:01 - Jun 28 by You_Bloo_Right

The Ferry company was Arklow shipping - not Seaborne Freight then as widely reported at the time?

How you can even imagine that the RAF could allow the flag to be applied on the plane backwards is beyond belief! - what is beyond belief is that a Prime Minister can imagine that spunking the best part of a million quid , especially at this particular time, to create his vanity (Royal) Air Force One is an acceptable use of public funds. And that surely was the point.

the NHS is now debt free - the NHS has ALWAYS been debt free. Aren't the "debts" owed by one part of a government owned entity (the NHS Trusts) to other government run entities (the Department for Health and Social Care)? And wasn't the creation of this and other internal markets the precursor to splitting up and selling off NHS services to private companies? And wasn't the highly bureaucratic and inefficient management layer unnecessarily imposed by this internal market set up the author of much of the "debt"? And hasn't this whole charade inevitably led to regional health inequality? Oh, and weren't the government being pressured into (and largely agreeing to) writing off this "debt" nearly 2 years ago? Resetting the counters will do nothing to address the base problems which were DESIGNED to generate "debt".
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 9:01]

You have heard of joint ventures haven’t you? That’s where one company works with another.

The aircraft would have had to have a paint job sooner or later, military aircraft have different requirements to civilian aircraft so it is always going to be more costly.
From the people who brought you... on 09:57 - Jun 28 with 2365 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

From the people who brought you... on 09:24 - Jun 28 by bluejacko

You have heard of joint ventures haven’t you? That’s where one company works with another.

The aircraft would have had to have a paint job sooner or later, military aircraft have different requirements to civilian aircraft so it is always going to be more costly.

Joint ventures.

This from Wiki:

The contract was cancelled by the Department for Transport on 9 February 2019 after Arklow Shipping, reported to be Seabornes' backer, pulled out. Arklow Shipping said that it had been in talks with Seaborne Freight twice in 2018 but denied that there had been an agreement with Seaborne or the Department for Transport. The company had considered investing in Seaborne and providing a couple of ferries, but nothing was signed. When the company discovered that Seaborne had no port agreement in Ramsgate it decided not to go any further.

Paint Job

IIRC the Voyager was refitted (at a cost of £10m or so) because it would save money on chartered flights (£1m a year savings or thereabouts) AND could continue to be used for military purposes when not in use by "VIPs". So that's one year's savings blown and, I would have to assume, the continued military use now lost. Yes the plane was due to be repainted but it is difficult to see the "re-brand" as anything other than another Johnson vanity project given he has been moaning about both the plane's availability (for him) and its livery for at least 2 years.

NHS

I can only assume you are in full agreement with my analysis.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

From the people who brought you... on 09:57 - Jun 28 with 2364 viewsjeera

"You have heard of joint ventures haven’t you? That’s where one company works with another."

That's not what happened at all.

Arklow said themselves they'd only met with 'Seabourne' twice for talks about becoming a backer, and saw themselves as only one of several potentials. It was Seaborne who touted Arklow as definite backers to get the contract.

So not only was no deal in place, there was nothing to even suggest a deal was definitely being made.

Our government gave millions of taxpayers' money to some chancers and then had to compensate Eurotunnel to the tune of £33 million too.

Another fine [expensive] mess. It's little wonder there's never any money to help people in need or to back essential services when so much gets pointlessly poured down the drain on such a regular basis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47726977

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/11/supposed-backer-of-no-ships-fer

From the people who brought you... on 10:24 - Jun 28 with 2320 viewsElephantintheRoom

They also applauded those in contact with the virus into supermarkets so they could pass it on to the general public

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

From the people who brought you... on 10:26 - Jun 28 with 2321 viewsHerbivore

It's okay to admit your team has done things that are a waste of money, mate.

From the people who brought you... on 10:28 - Jun 28 with 2312 viewsbluejacko

From the people who brought you... on 09:57 - Jun 28 by jeera

"You have heard of joint ventures haven’t you? That’s where one company works with another."

That's not what happened at all.

Arklow said themselves they'd only met with 'Seabourne' twice for talks about becoming a backer, and saw themselves as only one of several potentials. It was Seaborne who touted Arklow as definite backers to get the contract.

So not only was no deal in place, there was nothing to even suggest a deal was definitely being made.

Our government gave millions of taxpayers' money to some chancers and then had to compensate Eurotunnel to the tune of £33 million too.

Another fine [expensive] mess. It's little wonder there's never any money to help people in need or to back essential services when so much gets pointlessly poured down the drain on such a regular basis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47726977

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/11/supposed-backer-of-no-ships-fer

Only goes to show that not all you read in some papers is not right then. S lesson there for everybody.
As for the aircraft not being fit for military duties. Transporting VIPs is its mission along with still being able to do air tanking. Two jobs for the price of one I think.
Ok on the NHS but next time I hear about the debt or overspending on the budget I will just say to myself that’s ok it’s a false story. (depending on what paper you read of course)
Have a nice day!
From the people who brought you... on 10:30 - Jun 28 with 2303 viewsHerbivore

From the people who brought you... on 10:28 - Jun 28 by bluejacko

Only goes to show that not all you read in some papers is not right then. S lesson there for everybody.
As for the aircraft not being fit for military duties. Transporting VIPs is its mission along with still being able to do air tanking. Two jobs for the price of one I think.
Ok on the NHS but next time I hear about the debt or overspending on the budget I will just say to myself that’s ok it’s a false story. (depending on what paper you read of course)
Have a nice day!

So still no admission of errors or wastes of money then?

From the people who brought you... on 10:37 - Jun 28 with 2297 viewslongtimefan

From the people who brought you... on 09:57 - Jun 28 by You_Bloo_Right

Joint ventures.

This from Wiki:

The contract was cancelled by the Department for Transport on 9 February 2019 after Arklow Shipping, reported to be Seabornes' backer, pulled out. Arklow Shipping said that it had been in talks with Seaborne Freight twice in 2018 but denied that there had been an agreement with Seaborne or the Department for Transport. The company had considered investing in Seaborne and providing a couple of ferries, but nothing was signed. When the company discovered that Seaborne had no port agreement in Ramsgate it decided not to go any further.

Paint Job

IIRC the Voyager was refitted (at a cost of £10m or so) because it would save money on chartered flights (£1m a year savings or thereabouts) AND could continue to be used for military purposes when not in use by "VIPs". So that's one year's savings blown and, I would have to assume, the continued military use now lost. Yes the plane was due to be repainted but it is difficult to see the "re-brand" as anything other than another Johnson vanity project given he has been moaning about both the plane's availability (for him) and its livery for at least 2 years.

NHS

I can only assume you are in full agreement with my analysis.

The continued Military use has not been lost...

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/regional-news/gallery/raf-voyager-pri
From the people who brought you... on 10:42 - Jun 28 with 2279 viewsjeera

From the people who brought you... on 10:28 - Jun 28 by bluejacko

Have a nice day!

Read in the papers?

Oh, you mean stuff you read? I see.

The bits I linked can be found anywhere.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024