Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) 13:13 - Jun 28 with 2923 viewsRomeo4

Would be interested to hear what people are doing about their holidays this year.

Looks like the travel restrictions are going to be eased somewhat over the coming days. Are you looking to get away or cancelling/staying put?

I'm about to reach crunch time regarding making a decision on my holiday (which was booked well before Covid reared it's ugly head) and am in a bit of a quandary.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:18 - Jun 28 with 2316 viewsShawsey

Had a holiday to Spain for next week cancelled, taken a voucher to be used within the following year. Have another one booked for Nice in September, hopefully should be ok for then.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:19 - Jun 28 with 2311 viewsAce_High1

Where are you due to be going? I think that matters in deciding if it is still an option?

I have a trip booked for later in the year, the reason I was going (World Cup) will be cancelled but I am still tempted to go anyway and just enjoy the trip.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:21 - Jun 28 with 2304 viewsPlums

We’ve cancelled our Croatia holiday as we only lost a £60 per head deposit before we had to shell out the balance. We’ve booked a week in a nice cottage on the South Coast instead. Our concern was paying a significant amount of money for a holiday that may ultimately come nowhere near the experience we wanted. Access to healthcare was also a consideration at this time along with how welcome visitors from Plague Island would actually be.
Hopefully Croatia next year.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:24 - Jun 28 with 2285 viewsITFC_Forever

Was due to be going to Rhodes 1st August.... cancelled hotel, hoping EasyJet flight is cancelled, if not, we’ll move it to next year.

Going to Cornwall for a fortnight instead.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:27 - Jun 28 with 2279 viewsvapour_trail

The plan was Florida, which is off for this year. Somewhere in the med in Aug for us as long as I can persuade Mrs vt to get on a plane, otherwise it’ll be the much more virus ridden uk somewhere.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:33 - Jun 28 with 2252 viewsfactual_blue

We shifted our booking for Italy (due to travel in September) to Sept next year.

Just didn't feel like. The airport and the flight are one concern, and the likelihood of swimming pool and wearing gloves to eat take much of the enjoyment away.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:34 - Jun 28 with 2254 viewsbrogansnose

We were actually meant to be coming back from holiday today. The flights outbound were cancelled so we got a refund on those , the Air BnB and car hire. We were also going to go away early September but we've done nothing to organise that to be quite honest, I really don't fancy going anywhere.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:39 - Jun 28 with 2219 viewsfactual_blue

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:34 - Jun 28 by brogansnose

We were actually meant to be coming back from holiday today. The flights outbound were cancelled so we got a refund on those , the Air BnB and car hire. We were also going to go away early September but we've done nothing to organise that to be quite honest, I really don't fancy going anywhere.

...especially Portman Road whenever the new season starts.

Login to get fewer ads

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:50 - Jun 28 with 2191 viewsbrogansnose

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:39 - Jun 28 by factual_blue

...especially Portman Road whenever the new season starts.

Even if they do allow supporters in the ground I very much doubt that I'll be going. Us being rubbish is pretty much the least of it.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:59 - Jun 28 with 2168 viewsfactual_blue

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:50 - Jun 28 by brogansnose

Even if they do allow supporters in the ground I very much doubt that I'll be going. Us being rubbish is pretty much the least of it.

You are a man of great wisdom and discernment.

And there's now an outrageous £4 charge for Thurston station's car park.

An increase of £4.

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:02 - Jun 28 with 2148 viewsBlockJJ

Booked £20 return tickets to Croatia at the end of july. A cheap gamble, if I can go it will be gorgeous, if I can't only wasted £20. Will probably book a few more similarly priced tickets in August and September to a few random places.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:16 - Jun 28 with 2118 viewsPendejo

Looks like Avianca flying again from 2nd Sept, on garden leave so jobless and getting paid... May make it a long stay next time we go to Colombia (have found an affordable Avocado farm for sale)

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:30 - Jun 28 with 2086 viewsclive_baker

I've lost 5 trips thanks to Coronavirus, the last of which would've been in a couple of weeks. By and large I've got the money back, probably a couple of hundred down all in. Worth noting that 2 of those 5 were to Ireland to see the in laws, so every cloud and all that. I won't be booking or planning anything until things are much clearer. I love travelling but I'm not desperate to get away right now, I'm more than happy to stay in the UK this year and help fuel our local economy with some day trips instead.

[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 14:33]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:43 - Jun 28 with 2054 viewsElephantintheRoom

I've taken a radical solution.... I'm renting a fairly isolated place in the South of France and buying somewhere where I and my family can escape Brexit (and Covid) Britain.

Phase 1 is complete - sold my property here, the dogs have their passports - be off in a couple of weeks

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:47 - Jun 28 with 2046 viewsBluefish

I'm going to Crete on the 22nd Aug. Been booked a long time but been in the balance for quite a while, as things stand we will be going but you never know what the next change with this virus. Villa is booked privately, the owner is cool about it, she says can just move the deposit if needed. Sadly we had to use Ryanair this year and I don't trust them to not try and profiteer by reselling the seats but we shall see. Hopefully being a family of 5 is attractive to the airline if distancing is needed. The villa is very private and reasonably remote but we could easily spend 2 weeks there without the need to keep travelling (apart from the supermarket) hopefully things will be open by then and Crete hasn't been badly affected so far

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:57 - Jun 28 with 2030 viewsElephantintheRoom

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:47 - Jun 28 by Bluefish

I'm going to Crete on the 22nd Aug. Been booked a long time but been in the balance for quite a while, as things stand we will be going but you never know what the next change with this virus. Villa is booked privately, the owner is cool about it, she says can just move the deposit if needed. Sadly we had to use Ryanair this year and I don't trust them to not try and profiteer by reselling the seats but we shall see. Hopefully being a family of 5 is attractive to the airline if distancing is needed. The villa is very private and reasonably remote but we could easily spend 2 weeks there without the need to keep travelling (apart from the supermarket) hopefully things will be open by then and Crete hasn't been badly affected so far

Sounds nice - but arent you just a tad woriied by what you might be inflicting on Covid-free Crete?

Its like the unspeakbale highly-contagious diseases Europeans brought to the new world and wiped out indigenous populations, updated for the 21st century

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 15:00 - Jun 28 with 2030 viewsbluelagos

September cycling holiday in UK looking good. Mortorbiking holiday in France/Spain looking good too.

Less than in 2000 people have the virus. Stand 1m away for a period and there is a 1 in 50 chance of transmission. Catch the disease and unless you are vulnerable (I am not) there is a less than 1 in 100 chance of it being fatal.

That means that for every complete stranger you encounter and stay 1m away, there is less than 1 in 10 million chance of dieing from catching the virus. Those odds dont worry me enough to cancel my holiday.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 15:44 - Jun 28 with 1951 views26_Paz

Had booked for Octoberfest in late September, the event is cancelled but hopeful of a weekend in the beer Kellers ... that will be it for me I think ...

The Paz Man

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 17:06 - Jun 28 with 1850 viewsBluefish

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 14:57 - Jun 28 by ElephantintheRoom

Sounds nice - but arent you just a tad woriied by what you might be inflicting on Covid-free Crete?

Its like the unspeakbale highly-contagious diseases Europeans brought to the new world and wiped out indigenous populations, updated for the 21st century

Yes and no. If crete decide that they want tourists then I will go.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 17:36 - Jun 28 with 1812 viewsRomeo4

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 13:19 - Jun 28 by Ace_High1

Where are you due to be going? I think that matters in deciding if it is still an option?

I have a trip booked for later in the year, the reason I was going (World Cup) will be cancelled but I am still tempted to go anyway and just enjoy the trip.

We'd be driving via the eurotunnel to a campsite in France. Staying in a mobile home. We've done the same for a number of years so we know the drill well.

I think it will still be an option to us assuming the quarantine rule is dropped.

I guess we are trying to weigh up our desire for a holiday against how much it will potentially be impacted by the restrictions and also the moral question of should we actually be travelling at all whilst there is a danger of adding to the potential of a second spike in the virus.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 18:05 - Jun 28 with 1769 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don't think we're going to. Didn't have anything planned, but were thinking we might take the car over to France through the tunnel and camping or glamping this year. But now we're thinking we're not. We'll stay local.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 18:18 - Jun 28 with 1757 viewshampstead_blue

Staying in the UK again this year.

Camping, glamping, and visiting friends.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 18:30 - Jun 28 with 1750 viewsAce_High1

Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 17:36 - Jun 28 by Romeo4

We'd be driving via the eurotunnel to a campsite in France. Staying in a mobile home. We've done the same for a number of years so we know the drill well.

I think it will still be an option to us assuming the quarantine rule is dropped.

I guess we are trying to weigh up our desire for a holiday against how much it will potentially be impacted by the restrictions and also the moral question of should we actually be travelling at all whilst there is a danger of adding to the potential of a second spike in the virus.

Well that sounds about as safe as you can be at the moment. You just have to decide if you feel like going?

If anything we are likely to have a window of the next few months with things seemingly in control before winter and it all starts again.
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 19:23 - Jun 28 with 1686 viewsIpswichKnight

We’re off to Slovenia in Mid August. Doesn’t look like Slovenia will be opened up straight away and they currently have UK citizens having to quarantine at the moment, pretty confident that if we relax our quarantine they will do the same. It won’t be high on either UK or Slovenia to relax border controls for each other something like only 20,000 Brits went there last year!
Summer Holidays 2020 (abroad) on 20:29 - Jun 28 with 1618 viewsKieran_Knows

Managed to get to Dublin at the end of Feb/early March, so at least I can say I've been away this year. Had Turkey booked for end of May which was cancelled, and was meant to be on a stag do a couple of weeks ago in Benidorm which got cancelled as well.

Might look at something later on in the year, possibly another weekend away but not that fussed at the minute.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024