Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Android help please! 19:54 - Jun 28 with 1555 viewsBent_double

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab e tablet for someone last year, they use it just for TV, mainly the BBC iPlayer. Upto now it's worked fine, but it seems that it (the iPlayer app) will no longer work from July as Android v4 is no longer supported.

Has anyone attempted to upgrade to a newer version of the OS on a phone or tablet? I've just watched a youtube video to upgrade the same model to Android 7.1.2, it seems straightforward, but one of those things that if you get something wrong, or miss out a step, you could render the device unusable, is that right?

Any suggestions of what version to upgrade to, websites for video tutorials etc? Or just don't do it, buy a newer tablet instead!!

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Android help please! on 20:02 - Jun 28 with 1522 viewssparks

There is usually a way of doing a factory reset to wind back the update.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Android help please! on 20:08 - Jun 28 with 1512 viewsBent_double

Android help please! on 20:02 - Jun 28 by sparks

There is usually a way of doing a factory reset to wind back the update.

So it's worth the risk, but do a reset if it all goes pear-shaped?

Android help please! on 20:17 - Jun 28 with 1502 viewsgtsb1966

Android help please! on 20:08 - Jun 28 by Bent_double

So it's worth the risk, but do a reset if it all goes pear-shaped?

I've done a reset a few times on an android tablet. Will do no harm at all. Just back the stuff up you want to keep.
Android help please! on 20:25 - Jun 28 with 1490 viewsBent_double

Android help please! on 20:17 - Jun 28 by gtsb1966

I've done a reset a few times on an android tablet. Will do no harm at all. Just back the stuff up you want to keep.

Is it wise to go from v4 straight to the latest version?

Android help please! on 21:45 - Jun 28 with 1423 viewsWicklowBlue

Android help please! on 20:25 - Jun 28 by Bent_double

Is it wise to go from v4 straight to the latest version?

Yep you can jump OS levels no probs once the underlying hardware is supported. Depending on how you are upgrading the device might be worthwhile searching for a v4 version in case you need to downgrade again. Should be fine though just back it all up and follow upgrade instructions.
Android help please! on 07:47 - Jun 29 with 1314 viewsDanTheMan

Android help please! on 20:17 - Jun 28 by gtsb1966

Just going to point out here that after an OS upgrade, factory reset probably won't do anything. It will do a factory reset to the operating system you have just installed. There is no "go back" once it's done, you'd need to flash the original operating system back on and hope that works.

Make sure you have both the operating system you want AND the original operating system before proceeding.

The other option is to an adb backup - https://9to5google.com/2017/11/04/how-to-backup-restore-android-device-data-andr

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Android help please! on 09:17 - Jun 29 with 1279 viewsBent_double

Android help please! on 07:47 - Jun 29 by DanTheMan

Just going to point out here that after an OS upgrade, factory reset probably won't do anything. It will do a factory reset to the operating system you have just installed. There is no "go back" once it's done, you'd need to flash the original operating system back on and hope that works.

Make sure you have both the operating system you want AND the original operating system before proceeding.

The other option is to an adb backup - https://9to5google.com/2017/11/04/how-to-backup-restore-android-device-data-andr

I spent hours last night just trying to find all the right files that I would need for the device - I've got an old Samsung tablet (about 8 yrs old) that I'm going to try it on first - but from what I've read it seems if it goes wrong I might 'brick it', and make it completely unusable....they don't make it easy do they!

Android help please! on 09:25 - Jun 29 with 1273 viewsDanTheMan

Android help please! on 09:17 - Jun 29 by Bent_double

I spent hours last night just trying to find all the right files that I would need for the device - I've got an old Samsung tablet (about 8 yrs old) that I'm going to try it on first - but from what I've read it seems if it goes wrong I might 'brick it', and make it completely unusable....they don't make it easy do they!

Correct, if it does go horribly wrong then bricking it is possible.

These things aren't generally built to last more than a few years passed the patching cycle.

Login to get fewer ads

Android help please! on 10:26 - Jun 29 with 1244 viewsvilanovablue

You should just be able to go into settings and see if any updates are available before considering resetting anything.
Android help please! on 11:08 - Jun 29 with 1212 viewsBent_double

Android help please! on 10:26 - Jun 29 by vilanovablue

You should just be able to go into settings and see if any updates are available before considering resetting anything.

No, it won't go past Android 4.something officially, so this is the only way, other than chucking it and buying a newer model, of course!

Android help please! on 11:34 - Jun 29 with 1201 viewsvilanovablue

Android help please! on 11:08 - Jun 29 by Bent_double

No, it won't go past Android 4.something officially, so this is the only way, other than chucking it and buying a newer model, of course!

OK that makes things clearer, this is the main issue with older Android tablets their ongoing Android support is often terrible and apps are increasingly becoming unsupported for older versions of Android. I didn't realise workarounds existed.
Android help please! on 13:31 - Jun 29 with 1173 viewsBent_double

mmm, not going too well so far.

I've flashed the ROM using Odin, but when I reboot the device into Recovery mode, I don't get the 'Teamwin' interface I was expecting, just what appears to be the bog-standard recovery menu.

I can still do a factory reset/wipe from that menu, but just concerned that something has already gone wrong, so anything else I do now will just make it worse.

As it stands I can still boot up the tablet and use it in its old form as nothing has changed, although many apps have stopped or will stop working on it soon anyway, so maybe I should just carry on anyway.

Android help please! on 13:32 - Jun 29 with 1172 viewsDanTheMan

Android help please! on 13:31 - Jun 29 by Bent_double

mmm, not going too well so far.

I've flashed the ROM using Odin, but when I reboot the device into Recovery mode, I don't get the 'Teamwin' interface I was expecting, just what appears to be the bog-standard recovery menu.

I can still do a factory reset/wipe from that menu, but just concerned that something has already gone wrong, so anything else I do now will just make it worse.

As it stands I can still boot up the tablet and use it in its old form as nothing has changed, although many apps have stopped or will stop working on it soon anyway, so maybe I should just carry on anyway.

You flashed the new recovery image?

Android help please! on 15:49 - Jun 29 with 1133 viewsBent_double

Android help please! on 13:32 - Jun 29 by DanTheMan

You flashed the new recovery image?

Yes, and I should be at a point (according to the youtube video I'm following) that I go into the recovery tool, do a factory reset / wipe of the device before installing the LineageOS/Android 7.1 upgrade, but I've just read an faq on possible 'end of life managment' issues ( http://andi34.github.io/faq.html) - the older tablet I'm doing this on first might just be too old and knackered to take anything!
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 16:16]

Android help please! on 19:55 - Jun 29 with 1079 viewsBent_double

Well, what do you know...it worked!

Needed to 'root' the tablet first though, something the guy forgot to mention in his video.

Just have to do it all again on the newer tablet now...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024