Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is going on at the top of the civil service. 20:45 - Jun 28 with 1645 viewsPinewoodblue

Top two have both walked, or been pushed. Is it the Cummings virus or is something else amiss?

When you want EG or Factors to share their expertise where are they?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 20:49 - Jun 28 with 1629 viewsvapour_trail

It’s got Gove, Cummings and the Johnson all over it. Three complete cnts.

So nothing amiss then.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 09:12 - Jun 29 with 1412 viewsOldsmoker

Mark Sedwill was the top civil servant who was cabinet secretary and also National Security adviser. Treesa made that happen but it meant that Sedwill was in on too many meetings for Johnsons liking. I think he said NO too often. Johnsons appointed a non-civil servant David Frost, currently Brexit negotiator, to be National Security adviser.
Remember, Ian Duncan Smith (sorry to mention the dark lords name) and DWP. He installed civil servants in positions that seem to hate benefit 'scroungers' and Universal Credit is the result.
May did the same at the home office and we got Windrush and the hostile environment.
So be worried, I am, about less money for the poor and more money for Consultancies run by Etonians.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 09:20 - Jun 29 with 1391 viewsitfcjoe

It's 3 of the Big 4 now. Was a write up in my daily e-mail about it:

SED AND DONE: Whitehall bosses have begun the search for a new civil service chief after the dramatic ousting of Cabinet Secretary Mark Sedwill. Britain’s most senior civil servant confirmed his departure shortly after 6 p.m. last night, after leaks to the Telegraph’s Christopher Hope and then the FT’s Seb Payne forced officials to bring forward an announcement planned for later in the summer. Sedwill will depart No. 10 at the end of September after less than two years in the post, with one of his roles – as the PM’s national security adviser – already promised to the U.K.’s chief Brexit negotiator David Frost. Who succeeds Sedwill as Cabinet secretary is now the subject of intense debate, although only those who have already held the role of permanent secretary in a Whitehall department have been invited to apply.

Vote Leave takes back control: The ousting of Sedwill is being widely seen as a big win for Dominic Cummings and the Vote Leave team, and with good reason. Sedwill’s departure means three of Whitehall’s top four civil servants have now departed since the Tories’ election victory, amid reports that Cummings and co. had drawn up a “sh*tlist” of senior officials they planned to purge from the corridors of power. Sure enough Home Office Permanent Secretary Philip Rutnam resigned in acrimonious circumstances back in February, while Foreign Office Permanent Under-Secretary Simon McDonald told staff last month he too will be stepping down in September. It must suddenly feel awfully lonely for Tom Scholar, the permanent secretary at the Treasury, and now the last remaining official still hanging on to one of Whitehall’s “top four” jobs.

Marked man: As the Times’ Francis Elliott notes in a must-read analysis piece, Sedwill’s departure after less than two years will make him the shortest-lived Cabinet secretary of all time. (Indeed, there have only been 12 in total since the role was created during World War I.) Sedwill gets a hefty payoff and a life peerage for his trouble, however, and will be offered the chance to lead “a new G7 panel on global economic security” ahead of the U.K.’s presidency next year (helpfully described as a “non-job” by anonymous government sources briefing Chopper.) The Mail reckons Sedwill may even get No. 10’s backing to be put forward for the NATO secretary-general job when Jens Stoltenberg steps down in 2022. Or “he will be able to earn 10 times as much in the private sector if he wants to,” a senior civil servant tells the FT.

All friends here: In the end Sedwill was very much Theresa May’s man, having spent years working with her at the Home Office before following her into No. 10 in 2017. He had long been eyed with suspicion by ardent Brexiteers, having worked closely with May on her aborted plan to keep Britain tied closely to EU rules and regulations after Brexit. The expectation following Boris Johnson’s Tory leadership victory was that Sedwill may soon be shipped off to a plum job such as U.K. ambassador to Washington – but instead the new Vote Leave team running No. 10 were keen to heap praise upon him to any journalist who’d listen. That praise has been less forthcoming over recent months.

Where did it all go wrong? Multiple papers report in detail today how the relationship between Sedwill and the Vote Leavers – Cummings in particular – soured over recent months, amid tensions over the government’s bungled handling of the corona crisis. The Times reckons a well-reported clash between Sedwill and Boris Johnson last month was the final trigger, with Sedwill telling the PM in no uncertain terms that he, as prime minister, was ultimately responsible for getting Britain out of lockdown. “That was the moment the relationship broke down,” a source tells the Times. “And when it became public, in Mark’s mind it was over. How can you carry on in such an environment, when the people you’re working for are publicly briefing against you?”

Not impressed: The Guardian’s Rajeev Syal has spoken to another former head of the civil service, Bob Kerslake, about anonymous briefings out of No. 10 back in March suggesting Sedwill had failed to get a grip on the corona crisis. “The recent hostile briefing against Sir Mark has been completely unacceptable and undermined a key role in government at a time of great national crisis,” Kerslake says. “I fear from some of the press briefing that had obviously gone on that the civil service is being made the fall guy for mistakes made in the handling of the pandemic. This is grossly unfair.” Kerslake is touring broadcast studios this morning.

Rain man: The other key factor in Sedwill’s departure was Cummings’ well-documented loathing of the civil service establishment and a burning desire to overhaul the way Whitehall operates. Only last week he told fellow SpAds that “a hard rain is coming” for the civil service, which appears to be some sort of inexcusable mangling of Bob Dylan and/or “Taxi Driver.” It does, however, also appear to be true, as Cummings’ old boss Michael Gove made clear in a much-discussed speech on civil service reform on Saturday night. Gove’s words are well worth reading if you have the time, although his arguments about a London-centric civil service and all that “nowheres” vs. “anywheres” stuff are hardly new to anyone who’s been near a newspaper comment section (or Twitter) since 2016.

Speaking of Gove: My POLITICO colleague Charlie Cooper has this profile of the longest-surviving member of the Cabinet. Well worth your time.

Next on the purge list: The Times reports Richard Heaton, permanent secretary at the ministry of justice, is also on his way out, as the purge of establishment figures continues.

Whisky galore! It’s a very different picture for David Frost, however, who in a few short years has gone from being the fun-loving boss of booze lobbyists the Scotch Whisky Association to the U.K.’s chief negotiator on Brexit, and will now become the PM’s top adviser on national security. It’s an improbable career trajectory, though his defenders were quick to point out last night that he does have many years’ service as an FCO diplomat under his belt. That doesn’t mean, of course, that he knows the first thing about global military threats, cyber-warfare, international terrorism or the other main aspects of his new brief. “There’s a whole swathe of the mandarin class on the security brief who have had their noses put out of joint. It’s not going down well at all,” a source tells the FT.

Lord Frosty of No. 10: Frost’s appointment also marks the first time a political appointee has held the role of national security adviser – all previous post-holders were career civil servants who worked their way up the defense and FCO ranks. “That completely changes the nature of the role,” tweeted Peter Ricketts, one of his predecessors (and now a cross bench peer.) “No longer a politically-neutral civil servant giving dispassionate advice.” Ricketts also noted Frost will be made a peer, and asks: “So will he be a minister, accountable to parliament?” The Downing Street briefing is at 11 a.m., and may shed some light on this.

In the meantime: Frost still has the small matter of a Brexit trade deal to negotiate, with the new weekly rounds of talks kicking off this morning. The FT reports that Brussels is demanding Britain reveal its plans for a post-Brexit policy on state aid – but the Times reckons Frost’s mind will soon be elsewhere. “By giving Mr Frost a dual role,” Steven Swinford reports, “the government is sending Brussels a clear signal that it wants negotiations over with as soon as possible.”

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 09:23 - Jun 29 with 1388 viewsSteve_M

I think this thread points to the key reason. Politicisation and a move to a more US-model.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 09:49 - Jun 29 with 1353 viewsGlasgowBlue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 09:23 - Jun 29 by Steve_M

I think this thread points to the key reason. Politicisation and a move to a more US-model.

This was always going it happen, whoever won the last election.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-chiefs-mull-plan-replace-20852711

Does it make it right? The civil service has provided unbiased and honest advice to governments since its formation.

I can see this from both sides but I’m still of the opinion that the Civil Service can provide good advice that may make governments take a pause on some of their more ideology driven policies.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 10:30 - Jun 29 with 1293 viewsSteve_M

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 09:49 - Jun 29 by GlasgowBlue

This was always going it happen, whoever won the last election.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-chiefs-mull-plan-replace-20852711

Does it make it right? The civil service has provided unbiased and honest advice to governments since its formation.

I can see this from both sides but I’m still of the opinion that the Civil Service can provide good advice that may make governments take a pause on some of their more ideology driven policies.

Having Milne attempt to remake the Civil Service to his liking is no more edifying than Cummings doing so.

This thread from Peter Foster expands on that point but also the disjoint between the diagnoses (reasonable) and actions (less so).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 10:50 - Jun 29 with 1256 viewshampstead_blue

There was a nice piece I read this weekend about the Civil Service and how it hates change.

It stated the closest anyone has got was Blair with his 'Elite' group of advisors at the core.

I'd love Cummings to tear it up frankly. It's an outdated, white, upper class, group who frankly have resisted change since Noah.

Get experts in. Pay them properly and for results.

Maybe Sedwell has seen the writing on the wall and it's showing him the door. Better out for him than endure change.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 11:18 - Jun 29 with 1214 viewsPinewoodblue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 10:50 - Jun 29 by hampstead_blue

There was a nice piece I read this weekend about the Civil Service and how it hates change.

It stated the closest anyone has got was Blair with his 'Elite' group of advisors at the core.

I'd love Cummings to tear it up frankly. It's an outdated, white, upper class, group who frankly have resisted change since Noah.

Maybe Sedwell has seen the writing on the wall and it's showing him the door. Better out for him than endure change.

The problem with Cummings tearing it up is it creates an unhealthy precedent and leaves the way open for wholesale changes every time there is a general election or even change of PM, or perhaps even senior political advisors.

While government may govern it is the civil service that makes it work.

I was expecting plenty of early retirements following a full ‘ who can we blame’ enquiry into handling of COVID-19 but not this early.

Wonder if the Jenrick affair, and lack of a proper investigation was the final straw.

2023 year of destiny

Login to get fewer ads

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 11:20 - Jun 29 with 1211 viewsSwansea_Blue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 10:50 - Jun 29 by hampstead_blue

The Civil Service are the experts at what they do

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 11:23 - Jun 29 with 1203 viewsbracknell_blue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 20:49 - Jun 28 by vapour_trail

It’s got Gove, Cummings and the Johnson all over it. Three complete cnts.

So nothing amiss then.

Indeed. Cummings is pulling all the Government's strings, and anyone who disagrees with him is toast. God only knows who is pulling his strings but I suspect someone deeply unpleasant. It seems we elected a Government but an unelected person is in charge.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 13:51 - Jun 29 with 1115 viewshampstead_blue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 11:20 - Jun 29 by Swansea_Blue

The Civil Service are the experts at what they do

Absolutely.
The piece I read was either in the FT Weekend, Times, or Guardian. It's long gone to the worms so can't get it back to quote.

It's very well written and explains beautifully just how closed it is.

They are very good at administering but better at resisting change, elitism, and more besides.

Can Cummings change it? I darn well hope so and he's got my respect for standing-up and taking them on. Many have slunk away before.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 14:31 - Jun 29 with 1089 viewsSwansea_Blue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 13:51 - Jun 29 by hampstead_blue

Absolutely.
The piece I read was either in the FT Weekend, Times, or Guardian. It's long gone to the worms so can't get it back to quote.

They are very good at administering but better at resisting change, elitism, and more besides.

Can Cummings change it? I darn well hope so and he's got my respect for standing-up and taking them on. Many have slunk away before.

I was meaning we need their expertise. I wouldn't have thought it's a good idea to have Spads like Cummings (or Frost) calling the shots and running the show. We've seen how disastrously they've been operating lately.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 14:45 - Jun 29 with 1057 viewsgordon

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 13:51 - Jun 29 by hampstead_blue

Absolutely.

Not sure that 'taking them on' is a good strategy for improving organisational culture!

(assuming for a moment that they do care about 'improving', well, anything)
What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 14:52 - Jun 29 with 1044 viewsbournemouthblue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 14:31 - Jun 29 by Swansea_Blue

I was meaning we need their expertise. I wouldn't have thought it's a good idea to have Spads like Cummings (or Frost) calling the shots and running the show. We've seen how disastrously they've been operating lately.

Indeed, the current evidence doesn't look great

- Privatising the probation service
- Outsourcing Track and Trace to Serco
- Giving an £108 million PPE contract to a company with £18k worth of assets
- Giving a ferry contract to a company without any ferries
Using the wrong satellites as an alternative to Galileo
- Recent going on's with planning applications

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 15:14 - Jun 29 with 1006 viewshampstead_blue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 11:18 - Jun 29 by Pinewoodblue

The problem with Cummings tearing it up is it creates an unhealthy precedent and leaves the way open for wholesale changes every time there is a general election or even change of PM, or perhaps even senior political advisors.

While government may govern it is the civil service that makes it work.

I was expecting plenty of early retirements following a full ‘ who can we blame’ enquiry into handling of COVID-19 but not this early.

Wonder if the Jenrick affair, and lack of a proper investigation was the final straw.

"The problem with Cummings tearing it up is it creates an unhealthy precedent and leaves the way open for wholesale changes every time there is a general election or even change of PM, or perhaps even senior political advisors."

There will always be change. You do need a framework which is what I think will be forthcoming, along with it some kind of new Civil Service of people who implement policy rather than what we have at present (Humphrey's).

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 15:18 - Jun 29 with 999 viewsPinewoodblue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 15:14 - Jun 29 by hampstead_blue

"The problem with Cummings tearing it up is it creates an unhealthy precedent and leaves the way open for wholesale changes every time there is a general election or even change of PM, or perhaps even senior political advisors."

There will always be change. You do need a framework which is what I think will be forthcoming, along with it some kind of new Civil Service of people who implement policy rather than what we have at present (Humphrey's).

You also , from time to time, need someone who can look at something impartially and tell a politician it isn't going to be practicable.

2023 year of destiny

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 17:22 - Jun 29 with 939 viewsRyorry

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 15:14 - Jun 29 by hampstead_blue

There's a difference between healthy change which improves things, and directing all the tributaries of all the country's rivers into one giant channel with only one unelected person in charge of that flow.

Particularly when the checks, balances and many of the laws imposed by a larger, overarching organisation, previously there to impose restraint for the greater good, will no longer be there in 6 months' time.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 18:34 - Jun 29 with 896 viewsClapham_Junction

Absolutely.

'elitism'? You really do come out with some prize horse$hit.

I know several civil servants. All of them started in local government and got jobs in central government because they excelled in their fields.

If only they had managed to resist all the moronic things that have been implemented in the last decade...
What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 13:59 - Jun 30 with 790 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53233500

Theresa May didn't seem overly happy with Gove's answer.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 15:53 - Jun 30 with 754 viewshampstead_blue

What is going on at the top of the civil service. on 18:34 - Jun 29 by Clapham_Junction

'elitism'? You really do come out with some prize horse$hit.

I know several civil servants. All of them started in local government and got jobs in central government because they excelled in their fields.

If only they had managed to resist all the moronic things that have been implemented in the last decade...

are you telling me that all of those Heads with degrees from Oxbridge is not elitist?

I too know many Civil Servants who have confirmed my point. However I'll leave the insults.

Someone also mentioned the need for neutrality, that's a given.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024