Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twtd cyclists 08:21 - Jun 29 with 2875 viewsbluelagos

So finally got my clipin shoes/pedals fitted.

Went down the road yesterday, only nearly fell off 3 stops put of 3.

Is wearing my motorbike gear ott given I cant see myself not falling today?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Twtd cyclists on 08:32 - Jun 29 with 2305 viewsartsbossbeard

ABB's top clip in shoe tip:

Choose a preferred foot to be your "go-to clip out" foot and stick with it. Practise it a bit so it seems natural.

Falling off at junctions is a rite of passage though.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Twtd cyclists on 08:35 - Jun 29 with 2298 viewsPlums

Twtd cyclists on 08:32 - Jun 29 by artsbossbeard

ABB's top clip in shoe tip:

Choose a preferred foot to be your "go-to clip out" foot and stick with it. Practise it a bit so it seems natural.

Falling off at junctions is a rite of passage though.

Practice clipping and unclipping in your garage where you can rest your hands on something before you go out. Five minutes will be the equivalent of a few road trips and is well worth it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Twtd cyclists on 08:40 - Jun 29 with 2273 viewsBasuco

I know exactly what you are struggling with, I had the same and that was going from old school "clips and straps" to click in, and I was used to being tightly strapped to the pedals. The only advice I can give is practice repeatedly at 10 - 12 MPH, try not to look down, you will soon get "brain memory" where the pedals are and how to clip in and out. I mastered it properly when riding from docklands to Hoxton daily to work there briefly. Stay with them you will soon get the hang of them.
Twtd cyclists on 08:42 - Jun 29 with 2261 viewsartsbossbeard

Twtd cyclists on 08:40 - Jun 29 by Basuco

I know exactly what you are struggling with, I had the same and that was going from old school "clips and straps" to click in, and I was used to being tightly strapped to the pedals. The only advice I can give is practice repeatedly at 10 - 12 MPH, try not to look down, you will soon get "brain memory" where the pedals are and how to clip in and out. I mastered it properly when riding from docklands to Hoxton daily to work there briefly. Stay with them you will soon get the hang of them.

Yep.

Once you've mastered it, you'll never want to use standard pedals again.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 8:49]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Twtd cyclists on 08:47 - Jun 29 with 2257 viewsbluelagos

Twtd cyclists on 08:40 - Jun 29 by Basuco

Am a tight cnt me, so having spent around £100 on the pedals and shoes I'll be sticking with it!

Twtd cyclists on 09:07 - Jun 29 with 2220 viewseireblue

Once that is a mastered, trying to clip in whilst starting on a +10% gradient, when very tired, can also lead to moments of embarrassment.
Twtd cyclists on 09:19 - Jun 29 with 2207 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I've not ridden a bike since I was a paperboy (20 years ago) but I never remember ever having trouble keeping my feet on the pedals.

Can someone explain to me why anyone would need to strap their feet onto the pedals? Seems like the very definition of asking for trouble?!
Twtd cyclists on 09:21 - Jun 29 with 2194 viewsdavblue

Twtd cyclists on 09:19 - Jun 29 by King_ding_a_lin_g

I've not ridden a bike since I was a paperboy (20 years ago) but I never remember ever having trouble keeping my feet on the pedals.

Can someone explain to me why anyone would need to strap their feet onto the pedals? Seems like the very definition of asking for trouble?!

Generating power, keeping your feet in one position rather than slipping off.
Login to get fewer ads

Twtd cyclists on 09:29 - Jun 29 with 2183 viewsTractorWood

Far more efficient. Will generate more power. Power is key in cycling. Hence the power meter too.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 9:30]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Twtd cyclists on 09:36 - Jun 29 with 2157 viewsBasuco

It is so power can be applied to the pedals for 360 degrees, not just 45 degrees, it would be like driving in second gear in the car, you can still do 60 or 70 MPH, but it is not an efficient use of available power.
Twtd cyclists on 09:46 - Jun 29 with 2144 viewsWallingford_Boy

Basically pulling the pedals as well as pushing them.

So a constant power all the way around the circle.

RIP Sir Bobby

Twtd cyclists on 09:51 - Jun 29 with 2136 viewsBasuco

Twtd cyclists on 09:07 - Jun 29 by eireblue

Once that is a mastered, trying to clip in whilst starting on a +10% gradient, when very tired, can also lead to moments of embarrassment.

I would add, once you are confident clipping in and out, practise riding very slowly while clipped in, 1 MPH or slower, then you will be able to approach a junction without unclipping, and if it is safe to proceed pedal away, if not draw to a stop, unclip and put your foot down. But until you feel confident doing this unclip when approaching the junction and clip in when safe to pull away, or put foot on ground if not. As in all walk's of life, practice makes perfect.
Twtd cyclists on 09:57 - Jun 29 with 2121 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm sure you'll get used to them.

I like getting out on my road bike, but I refuse to conform to the lycra and clip in pedals brigade!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Twtd cyclists on 09:57 - Jun 29 with 2119 viewsKropotkin123

A lot of the pedals have resistance adjusters. Check that they aren't too tight. you usually need an Allen key to adjust them.

If you do adjust it, consider that you can accidentally clip out if you pull too hard and are slightly to the side. So when going up a tough climb, remain seated in a low gear until you've got your sweet spot.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Twtd cyclists on 10:02 - Jun 29 with 2102 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Twtd cyclists on 09:29 - Jun 29 by TractorWood

Far more efficient. Will generate more power. Power is key in cycling. Hence the power meter too.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 9:30]

Depends what your objectives are.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Twtd cyclists on 10:14 - Jun 29 with 2080 viewsKropotkin123

when you cycle without clips you naturally rest the foot you are not using to push the pedal down. Therefore you are working against yourself

- When you have clips you should start pulling up, meaning you are now using energy on the upwards movement.
- You no longer fight against your resting foot, saving you energy on the downwards rotation
- You also use less energy by maintaining a more consistent rotation and rhythm.

Therefore, as people say, it is more efficient. Although it takes some getting used to. It is weirder using no clips after getting used to clips, as you will start accidentally lifting your feet off the pedal.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 10:17]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Twtd cyclists on 10:15 - Jun 29 with 2078 viewsSwansea_Blue

You can pull as well as push, keeps an even pressure on the pedals leading to greater efficiency ('spinning' as it's known).

Probably great for top level cyclists, but my form goes out of the window after 15 minutes so pretty much wasted on me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Twtd cyclists on 10:17 - Jun 29 with 2079 viewsTractorWood

Twtd cyclists on 10:02 - Jun 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Depends what your objectives are.

The same individual in two different scenarios will have differing performance from their power output. Their performance will be very similar based on their objectives.

Anyone beyond a casual pootler could really benefit from a power meter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/how-to-ride-
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 10:19]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Twtd cyclists on 10:22 - Jun 29 with 2063 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Twtd cyclists on 10:17 - Jun 29 by TractorWood

The same individual in two different scenarios will have differing performance from their power output. Their performance will be very similar based on their objectives.

Anyone beyond a casual pootler could really benefit from a power meter.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/how-to-ride-
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 10:19]

I agree that they have a purpose, however I'm more of a leisure cyclist, I do it for fitness and enjoyment, not looking to record times etc.

Increased efficiency can make a ride less productive in fitness terms.

Twtd cyclists on 10:22 - Jun 29 with 2051 viewsSwansea_Blue

BL, make sure the cleats on the bottom of your shoes aren't clamped too tightly by the pedals. You should be able to twist out relatively easily. There are plenty of sources out there that show how to set up properly.

And yes, agree 100% that you should practice indoors for a bit. Time well spent. Either hold on to something or get someone to hold on to you while you just clip in and out.

You'll find you do end up always unclipping on the same foot over time anyway, so good to get a routine now and pick a leg that feels most comfortable. I do the left first as then I'm not stepping out into the road - any falling off is going to be towards the kerb not a car.

Final tip is to anticipate any stops well ahead and clip out early. Far better to do that, even if end up not stopping, as it's easier to clip back in than have a greaceless topple.

You'll get used to it - it's been years since I had a slow speed topple from not releasing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Twtd cyclists on 11:22 - Jun 29 with 1991 viewsBasuco

Another thing I have just remembered, after a few rides check that the cleat screws are still tight, they can loosen and even fall out after the first few rides, I was out with a group once and saw it, it was funny to watch as it appeared he forgot to unclip, but a screw had fallen out and he hit the road.
Twtd cyclists on 11:28 - Jun 29 with 1988 viewsTrumptonBlue

My top tip would be - you don't have to clip both feet in straight away. Clip one foot in before you push off, rest the other foot on the pedal and only attempt to clip in once you are moving and comfortable.
Twtd cyclists on 12:26 - Jun 29 with 1923 viewsbluelagos

Cheers for all the tips.

Went to a quiet road and practiced starting/stopping for 30 mins. Seemed to get the hang of it so will give it a proper run out on Wed on a long one.

Am unclipping left foot at the top of cycle - don't think that is best practice but seems to work for me. Clipping in seems relatively easy so no worries there.

Twtd cyclists on 13:21 - Jun 29 with 1866 viewsstonojnr

Twtd cyclists on 10:22 - Jun 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree that they have a purpose, however I'm more of a leisure cyclist, I do it for fitness and enjoyment, not looking to record times etc.

Increased efficiency can make a ride less productive in fitness terms.

No increased efficiency means you arent needlessly burning & wasting energy, which means you can then use that energy to ride much further

For sure if you are just happy leisure cycling,clipless pedals are an unwanted distraction,but you'll probably be surprised how un productive it is in fitness terms to ride like that
Twtd cyclists on 13:39 - Jun 29 with 1853 viewsstonojnr

For a clipless beginner, I'd slacken the tension of the clip right off so that if you get that panic wobble,instead of turning your foot first,you can just pull your foot out & on the ground quickly as that's your default reaction, it's the ah cant unclip that and the lean that bowls you over, and always remember to lean to side of the foot you free first.

Some people say try just one foot at a time, to begin with,though if you went spd-sl that is probably harder to do.

It's just a case really of thinking ahead about when you are going to stop,and freeing one foot ready to put it down,its the unplanned stops that cause the issue as they normally require rapid stopping,which doesnt leave the thinking time to unclip especially as you'll often forget you are still clipped in,that's why it's useful to be able to just pull a foot out of the clip

Once you get used to it,it becomes 2nd nature,though you still occasionally have moments
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024