Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Football Fans 20:03 - Jun 29 with 1068 viewsAce_High1

Another shocking transfer by Barcelona - effectively exchanging the 23 year old Arthur (who they signed in 2018 on a 6 year deal) for the 30 year old Pjanic from Juventus. What are they doing?

Some really odd transfers by them over the last few years - remember the Paulinho saga signing from China out of nowhere, playing every week and then loaning him back before selling him a year later.

Then signing the likes of Kevin Prince-Boateng and then this season Marlon Braithwaie.

Fantastic club going down the drain with poor decisions/strategy...... sound familiar
European Football Fans on 20:32 - Jun 29 with 973 viewsBarcaBlue

My son was fuming about it last night, they've gone directionless since Luis Enrique went. The spine of the team is creaking and they need a reset. Maybe Xavi will be the one to sort it out when he inevitably arrives back.
European Football Fans on 20:40 - Jun 29 with 951 viewsitfcjoe

I think a lot of the transfers are for financial reasons, they've got some big ones wrong and then have to manage them down to get books looking ok for FFP reasons.

Something similar at Derby, where players get new contracts even if club doesn't want them to push amortisation down the road to allow them to meet FFP regulations.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

European Football Fans on 20:44 - Jun 29 with 936 viewsAce_High1

European Football Fans on 20:32 - Jun 29 by BarcaBlue

My son was fuming about it last night, they've gone directionless since Luis Enrique went. The spine of the team is creaking and they need a reset. Maybe Xavi will be the one to sort it out when he inevitably arrives back.

That is one of the major issues, the spine which has served them so well - Ter Stegen, Pigue, Busquets, Messi, Suarez are all at the end of their careers, and the ones to take over - Arthur for example are the ones they move on. They are in danger of doing an Inter Milan/AC Milan and falling off the pace for a decade.

I know there is upcoming Presidential elections to which affects the decision making, although normally statement signings are made to appease fans and win support?
European Football Fans on 21:10 - Jun 29 with 889 viewsitfcjoe

European Football Fans on 20:44 - Jun 29 by Ace_High1

That is one of the major issues, the spine which has served them so well - Ter Stegen, Pigue, Busquets, Messi, Suarez are all at the end of their careers, and the ones to take over - Arthur for example are the ones they move on. They are in danger of doing an Inter Milan/AC Milan and falling off the pace for a decade.

I know there is upcoming Presidential elections to which affects the decision making, although normally statement signings are made to appease fans and win support?

Just heard about this on a podcast - basically both clubs need to fill a €60m hole in their books so this is why it has been done as is.

If you buy a player for €60m on a 5 year contract, it costs you €12m per year for 5 years accounting wise

If you sell a player for €60m you get all that money in your books that year.

So Barca sell Arthur for €70m and buy Pjanic for €60m - it gives tham a ~€60m uplift to their books this year, whereas Juve get a ~€50m uplift to theirs.

That's the crazy world of football now, deals done to make the books work

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

European Football Fans on 22:50 - Jun 29 with 762 viewsCoco

European Football Fans on 20:44 - Jun 29 by Ace_High1

Agree apart from Ter Stegen who could feasibly play for another decade.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024