Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators 08:20 - Jun 30 with 2840 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-53150808

Apologies if anyone else has posted this in the last three days and I missed it, but it has got me wondering about why the United Kingdom, Spain, Belgium and Italy were so badly hit whilst Germany, Norway and, to a lesser extent, France were not. Of course there are issues around the way the numbers are counted but there must be lessons to learn about how the virus spread here.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:21 - Jun 30 with 2822 viewsDubtractor

Sorry to go off topic, but Peruvian Indicators would be a great name for an art rock band.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:25 - Jun 30 with 2799 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:21 - Jun 30 by Dubtractor

Sorry to go off topic, but Peruvian Indicators would be a great name for an art rock band.

I ran out of space in the title field when I wanted to type 'some indications from Peru' and this was my solution, even as I typed that I thought 'some wag is going to post that they have been to Peru and no one uses their indicators there'.

I would expect Peruvian Indicators to have at least two ex-members of Aztec Camera in their line-up...

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:26 - Jun 30 with 2799 viewsStokieBlue

Thanks for posting.

Interesting article and the reasons make sense. Having dense family housing and having to visit the market daily which has a high infection rate are going to have a big impact. It also does seem to counter the arguments of some corners who claim it's seasonal given a badly hit place like Iquitos has been over 30C for almost the entire outbreak.

On France, they have still had 30,000 deaths I believe?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:36 - Jun 30 with 2779 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:26 - Jun 30 by StokieBlue

Thanks for posting.

Interesting article and the reasons make sense. Having dense family housing and having to visit the market daily which has a high infection rate are going to have a big impact. It also does seem to counter the arguments of some corners who claim it's seasonal given a badly hit place like Iquitos has been over 30C for almost the entire outbreak.

On France, they have still had 30,000 deaths I believe?

SB

Almost 30,00 in France according to the Worldometer table at the moment - I could have chosen a better example. It is just that with France being between us and the Spain and Italy hotspots one might have expected a deaths per million population above six hundred rather than below five hundred. Maybe the Netherlands would have been a better comparison.

Aside from the factors included in this article on Peru I do wonder if some healthcare systems are 'victims of their own success' in delivering longevity to populations under normal conditions and then taking a big hit in the pandemic because the elderly and vulnerable have startling rates of attrition.

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:23 - Jun 30 with 2733 viewsStokieBlue

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:36 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

Almost 30,00 in France according to the Worldometer table at the moment - I could have chosen a better example. It is just that with France being between us and the Spain and Italy hotspots one might have expected a deaths per million population above six hundred rather than below five hundred. Maybe the Netherlands would have been a better comparison.

Aside from the factors included in this article on Peru I do wonder if some healthcare systems are 'victims of their own success' in delivering longevity to populations under normal conditions and then taking a big hit in the pandemic because the elderly and vulnerable have startling rates of attrition.

I think there is definitely something your point about successful health services essentially providing a greater number of vulnerable people for the virus to target.

As with everything though, Cuba with it's praised health system claims to have had only 89 deaths. Not sure I believe that given it's also claiming it's only had 3000 cases.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:34 - Jun 30 with 2711 viewsKeno

I just hope Paddingtons family are ok?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:37 - Jun 30 with 2703 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:23 - Jun 30 by StokieBlue

I think there is definitely something your point about successful health services essentially providing a greater number of vulnerable people for the virus to target.

As with everything though, Cuba with it's praised health system claims to have had only 89 deaths. Not sure I believe that given it's also claiming it's only had 3000 cases.

SB

Possibly, but Cuba has a degree of isolation and especially from tourists from the United States that is not shared with other Caribbean islands. I guess Jamaica's undeserved reputation for lawlessness could also have protected it from infections. Just 698 cases and ten deaths.

Whereas the Dominican Republic has 31816 cases and 733 deaths; but Haiti next door on Hispaniola has 5933 cases and 105 deaths at present, and with a higher population in less than two thirds the area.

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:40 - Jun 30 with 2695 viewsKeno

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:37 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

Possibly, but Cuba has a degree of isolation and especially from tourists from the United States that is not shared with other Caribbean islands. I guess Jamaica's undeserved reputation for lawlessness could also have protected it from infections. Just 698 cases and ten deaths.

Whereas the Dominican Republic has 31816 cases and 733 deaths; but Haiti next door on Hispaniola has 5933 cases and 105 deaths at present, and with a higher population in less than two thirds the area.

I think in some, if not all, there countries there have been discrepancies in the way the figures are calculated and dare I some some creativity

Not all measurements are the same

Login to get fewer ads

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:54 - Jun 30 with 2679 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:40 - Jun 30 by Keno

I think in some, if not all, there countries there have been discrepancies in the way the figures are calculated and dare I some some creativity

Not all measurements are the same

Many years ago I crossed the border from Guatemala into Belize. The marked difference between the out for a bribe on one side and the crisp uniforms, precise discharge of duties and, by heck, Britishness as I entered Belize was quite a relief. I have a lot of time for the Caribbean islands and communities on that coast of Central America. Maybe I have watched too many episodes of 'Murder in Paradise' but I wouldn't write off their administrations as ineffective.

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 10:12 - Jun 30 with 2666 viewsBlueBadger

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 08:36 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

In this country, our rate of attrition has been compounded by the (government mandated)practice of shipping the most vulnerable out to care homes without any kind of testing(on the patient's part) or assistance with protective kit and isolation measures for the receiving areas(on the government's part).
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 10:17]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 10:14 - Jun 30 with 2657 viewsKeno

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:54 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

Many years ago I crossed the border from Guatemala into Belize. The marked difference between the out for a bribe on one side and the crisp uniforms, precise discharge of duties and, by heck, Britishness as I entered Belize was quite a relief. I have a lot of time for the Caribbean islands and communities on that coast of Central America. Maybe I have watched too many episodes of 'Murder in Paradise' but I wouldn't write off their administrations as ineffective.

the comment wasn't necessarily aimed at Central American!!

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 10:19 - Jun 30 with 2655 viewsSwansea_Blue

Late lockdown was a real killer (isn't the estimate that half of the live could have been saved by locking down a week earlier, or something like that?). Compounded with the release of infected patients into care homes. And now relaxing lockdown without an effective track and trace system.

A perfect storm of incompetence.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 10:26 - Jun 30 with 2645 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 10:14 - Jun 30 by Keno

the comment wasn't necessarily aimed at Central American!!

Fair enough and maybe I am too sensitive towards a perceived Little Englander attitude of 'We do everything right here and the rest of the World is dodgy'. But I've been to Cuba and feel they make very good use of scant resources, so would not be surprised if their numbers gave an accurate reflection of the situation on the ground. It also has to be said that it is quite difficult (due to economics as well as bureaucracy) for most Cubans to leave the island and this contributes to lower infection rates.

Actually, there have been a few criticisms of the United Kingdom when it comes to massaging figures such as unemployment over the years. And, as Badger points out above, moving a problem from one place to another can also have an adverse effect on the numbers. I think it will be some years before the causes, effects and correct numbers that attach to them are unpicked.

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 11:28 - Jun 30 with 2596 viewsPendejo

Earliest and strictest lockdown said the article.

Haven't been to Peru so wouldn't like to speculate other than possibly overcrowded barrios.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 11:40 - Jun 30 with 2584 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 11:28 - Jun 30 by Pendejo

Earliest and strictest lockdown said the article.

Haven't been to Peru so wouldn't like to speculate other than possibly overcrowded barrios.

But that came fourth in the article, after major use of market places, the informal economy making workplace practices unlikely to be implemented and then only 38% of Peruvians having a bank account making the digital apportionment of money supply difficult.

Cramped housing conditions should not make infection rates high on their own if a lock down is very strict, and Peru is not alone in Latin America in having cheek by jowl living. Although it is nineteen years since I was there (and it was my first taste of Latin America) it did not seem too bad, certainly not compared to the basket case that is Honduras (which I went to a few years later).

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 11:52 - Jun 30 with 2568 viewssolemio

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 09:34 - Jun 30 by Keno

I just hope Paddingtons family are ok?

I do worry about them considering how dark it is in Peru.
Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 12:13 - Jun 30 with 2553 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 11:52 - Jun 30 by solemio

I do worry about them considering how dark it is in Peru.

Although that might explain why there are no reports of panic buying of marmalade.

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 13:44 - Jun 30 with 2508 viewsKeno

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 12:13 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

Although that might explain why there are no reports of panic buying of marmalade.

maybe wearing just red wellies and a blue duffel coat give you immunity?

could be worth a try

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 15:52 - Jun 30 with 2478 viewsWeWereZombies

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 13:44 - Jun 30 by Keno

maybe wearing just red wellies and a blue duffel coat give you immunity?

could be worth a try

I would love to see that suggested to Trump and for him to take you up on it, and if he can do anything it is give one of those hard stares.

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 17:25 - Jun 30 with 2441 viewsKeno

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 15:52 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

I would love to see that suggested to Trump and for him to take you up on it, and if he can do anything it is give one of those hard stares.

To be fair it wouldn’t be the most stupid idea he had promoted!!

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 17:30 - Jun 30 with 2440 viewsKeno

Causes of high infection and mortality rates from Covid-19, Peruvian indicators on 15:52 - Jun 30 by WeWereZombies

To be fair it wouldn’t be the most stupid idea he had promoted!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024