Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? 19:51 - Jun 30 with 3205 viewsunstableblue

Brentford are flying

They are just such a contrast to the hapless direction and leadership we have endured under Marcus.

There's a rather lazy refrain on here 'oh but they dissolved their academy'... there is much more to it, in that they pick up Premier League cast off youths and play them in a high standard development lead, but more importantly they had a clear strategy and they implemented. We have had no definitive strategy, which would have been more academy focussed, and we have not cascaded it through the club's operation.

We have had no decent CEO/Chief Exec, and critically we've had no technical leadership structure.

That technical structure if in place at Town would have hired not one single of the manager's Marcus has brought to the club - not one. As none of them had/has the attributes to play the progressive, technical, football the fans actually want and an enduring structure demands.

Marcus was badly advised from the start - if he'd got the Cheif Exec right, who'd then hired the technical leaders around an interchangeable manager, we'd be in the Premiership.

Total shambles. Good on Brentford, moving into a smart stadium, developed through a clever STRATEGY!

No strategy, no principles, no objectives Marcus - its 2020 man!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 19:58 - Jun 30 with 1975 viewsBlueBadger

No, you can't say 'technical' because that's a meaningless football hipster term(lest we forget, with their love of sports science and stats, Sam Allardyce and Paul Hurst are 'technical' managers) but COMPETENT(if rather cynical and a bit chances, given their reliance on unearthing cheap gems every season and no youth team). You don't seem like a bad lad, just a bit 'Dollers' when it comes to this sort of thing.

I reckon you've definitely paid a hundred quid for bangers and mash at some point.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 19:59]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:00 - Jun 30 with 1964 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This isn't news.

Am I right in thinking their owner made his fortune based on data and analysis?

Seem to recall they ditched their Academy due to the competition for youngsters in London.

They don't just have a better owner than us, they have a better owner than 99% of clubs.

There's also little details such as their inclusion of regular futsal sessions within their training regime.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:02 - Jun 30 with 1944 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

You answered your own question by identifying it was down to them having a clear and effective strategy

That said it isn’t the strategy you’ve actually listed, their approach is essentially based around 3 pillars:

- analytical based recruitment approach to identify ‘value’ my players that fit into the style of play, improve the team and can be sold at a profit
- dissolving the academy and using the funds saved to invest in the above approach
- accepting that players will be sold and again using those funds to reinvest and progress

Clearly it’s worked brilliantly for them, with them having punched above their weight for some time and now knocking on the door of the Premiership

Technical meanwhile remains a meaningless buzzword you insist on throwing around at every opportunity, as should be evident given that you’ve used it to describe both Brentford and Rotherham (amongst many others), 2 sides with completely different approaches and styles of play

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:06 - Jun 30 with 1932 viewsMullet

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:02 - Jun 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You answered your own question by identifying it was down to them having a clear and effective strategy

That said it isn’t the strategy you’ve actually listed, their approach is essentially based around 3 pillars:

- analytical based recruitment approach to identify ‘value’ my players that fit into the style of play, improve the team and can be sold at a profit
- dissolving the academy and using the funds saved to invest in the above approach
- accepting that players will be sold and again using those funds to reinvest and progress

Clearly it’s worked brilliantly for them, with them having punched above their weight for some time and now knocking on the door of the Premiership

Technical meanwhile remains a meaningless buzzword you insist on throwing around at every opportunity, as should be evident given that you’ve used it to describe both Brentford and Rotherham (amongst many others), 2 sides with completely different approaches and styles of play

There's also the foreign team link to bypass things and pool scouting etc. Plus Brentford can send players there on loan to give them a different development edge etc.

Imagine if we'd have kept Mick and been stunting the growth of clubs like Brentford instead of dropping out of sight and taking one of their old guard with us.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:08 - Jun 30 with 1916 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

A really well run club.

Identity and strategy in appointing managers.

Identity and strategy in their footballing philosophy.

Most contrastingly to us, identity and strategy in their recruitment process.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:13 - Jun 30 with 1891 viewsHerbivore

Not this again.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:16 - Jun 30 with 1891 viewsBlueBadger

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:13 - Jun 30 by Herbivore

Not this again.

I don't know why people get so wet knickered about Brentford, sure they're doing well right now but their success at present is ultimately built on sands as shifting Bolton(another 'well run small club' remember?). Good luck to them and all that but I strongly suspect it would only take one summer of poor judgement in the transfer market or a bad managerial appointment to undo it all.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 20:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:17 - Jun 30 with 1877 viewsfooters

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:16 - Jun 30 by BlueBadger

I don't know why people get so wet knickered about Brentford, sure they're doing well right now but their success at present is ultimately built on sands as shifting Bolton(another 'well run small club' remember?). Good luck to them and all that but I strongly suspect it would only take one summer of poor judgement in the transfer market or a bad managerial appointment to undo it all.

As we have found out. Several times now.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:18 - Jun 30 with 1872 viewsBlueBadger

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:17 - Jun 30 by footers

As we have found out. Several times now.

Football and match day experience are much better now though.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 20:30]

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:19 - Jun 30 with 1868 viewsChrisd

WBA have got to be looking worriedly over their shoulder, the Bees are hot in pursuit and the Baggies appear to be faltering just at the wrong time.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 20:24]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:43 - Jun 30 with 1811 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:16 - Jun 30 by BlueBadger

I’m not sure that’s fair, it may well come crumbling down eventually but success has already been sustained for some time and under a few different managers too. Indeed their recent run in the Championship is the first time they’ve survived at that level since the 50’s (they had one season there in the early 90’s and were relegated immediately)

I’d probably liken them more to Swansea personally - no doubt at some point the wrong appointment or a bit of desperation will no doubt see them stumble, but even then they’ll have quite a way to fall to get back to their rightful place
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 20:43]

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:53 - Jun 30 with 1778 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:06 - Jun 30 by Mullet

There's also the foreign team link to bypass things and pool scouting etc. Plus Brentford can send players there on loan to give them a different development edge etc.

Imagine if we'd have kept Mick and been stunting the growth of clubs like Brentford instead of dropping out of sight and taking one of their old guard with us.

Well indeed, and that scouting helping them bring in talent from across Europe

I particularly like the OP stating they pickup PL cast off youths - of the players that have featured in 15+ games in the league this season, they were signed from the following:

David Raya - Blackburn
Rico Henry - Walsall
Ethan Pinnock - Barnsley
Christian Nørgaard - Fiorentina
Matthias Jensen - Celta
Said Benrahma - Nice
Ollie Watkins - Exeter
Kamohelo Mokotjo - FC Twente
Pontus Jansson - Leeds
Bryan Mbeumo - Troyes
Henrik Dalsgaard - Zulte Waregem
Julian Jeanvier - Reims
Joel Valencia - Piast Gilwice
Emiliano Marcondes - FC Nordsjælland
And finally Josh Dasilva, from Arsenal (hooray!)

I mean I wouldn’t dare suggest the OP hasn’t got a clue what they’re talking about, but...

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 21:04 - Jun 30 with 1756 viewsMullet

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:53 - Jun 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I particularly like the OP stating they pickup PL cast off youths - of the players that have featured in 15+ games in the league this season, they were signed from the following:

David Raya - Blackburn
Rico Henry - Walsall
Ethan Pinnock - Barnsley
Matthias Jensen - Celta
Said Benrahma - Nice
Ollie Watkins - Exeter
Pontus Jansson - Leeds
Bryan Mbeumo - Troyes
Julian Jeanvier - Reims

I mean I wouldn’t dare suggest the OP hasn’t got a clue what they’re talking about, but...

It's ok, he'll like that. Your post is very technical.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 21:17 - Jun 30 with 1720 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:53 - Jun 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

David Raya - Blackburn
Rico Henry - Walsall
Ethan Pinnock - Barnsley
Matthias Jensen - Celta
Said Benrahma - Nice
Ollie Watkins - Exeter
Pontus Jansson - Leeds
Bryan Mbeumo - Troyes
Julian Jeanvier - Reims

I don’t we’re the OP got that from.

Reading a really good article from Rasmus Ankersen that’s not really their approach.

They have 2 approaches apparently. Either over-achieving clubs, punching well above their weight, and look at the prime talent within these squads, allowing them to compete financially then.

Or

They look for under achieving young talent that have lost their way a little, citing Neal Maupay as the prime example. Maupay made his Ligue 1 debut just 16, talent has always been there, but poor loan moves and an injury really halted his development at Nice, subsequently they were allowed to snap him up for just £1.8m

A really well run club, incredibly efficient.

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 21:45 - Jun 30 with 1662 viewspatrickswell

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:06 - Jun 30 by Mullet

There’s also the inconvenient truth for some people that Mick was signing young and hungry players, as well as bringing through the best of the Academy boys circa 2017 only to see it go up in smoke due to injuries, Evans’s indifference and the fact that in some eyes, he was only ever 2 defeats or a 0-0 draw at home from mass discontent.

It’s a sick joke that the “progressive” manager even tore up Evans’s vague aspirations in order to pursue his own vision of a squad who could run for 90 minutes, but nothing more and that the clean-up’s being done by someone who can’t see further ahead than the next 24 hours.
Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 21:54 - Jun 30 with 1645 viewsunstableblue

David Raya - Blackburn
Rico Henry - Walsall
Ethan Pinnock - Barnsley
Matthias Jensen - Celta
Said Benrahma - Nice
Ollie Watkins - Exeter
Pontus Jansson - Leeds
Bryan Mbeumo - Troyes
Julian Jeanvier - Reims

That's bit harsh! Love, peace and harmony C_Healy.

I had thought some academy players had come from the Premier League due to an article; but appreciate you informing me of the reality. Albeit does it not indicate that no matter the source of the player (in many cases from lower levels) the coaching set-up gets them playing the 'Brentford' way.

Look I have my opinion, sorry if it grates with those on the thread. I keep pressing the 'technical' button, because its just a great word that for me encapsulates where we've gone wrong.

We've had a poor footballing strategy from day one of Marcus's reign, he also never put in a CEO to link to and drive that technical footballing strategy whilst driving the non footballing side of the business.

Club's like Brentford had a strategy, put in a TECHNICAL director (the late Phil Giles) and surrounded him by Directors of Football. If you don't think Rasmus Ankersen and Phil Giles are Technical in their methods and view of how players should be developed. Then we just have a different opinion. View them on youtube.

Good managers need to be motivators, man managers and technical (in terms of player selection, development AND system/set-up) PERIOD. And club's like Brentford, due to a clear strategy realise that the latter is paramount and put in place footballing structures to ensure this is embedded and enduring, to support/direct a coach/manager who may change.

Only Mick has come close to fulfilling two of those characteristics. But no one has been the complete package.

Marcus has been advised by bafoons, he's hired bafooons, and we have no enduring technical identity.

That is my view. Sorry!

Vision > Strategy > Objective > Plan.
Vision: to bring Ipswich into the Premier League and to increase the match day attendance and commercial viability of the club through an entertaining and effective style of football
Strategy: develop a technical DNA and structure to the footballing side of the club, that allows the development of academy and lower league players, and delivers an attack minded brand of football that entertains fans during an excellent match day experience
Objectives: ensure line of sight from the strategy to all ITFC staff, mandate that the coach is interchangeable from the football DNA, only select and develop players with character and technical foundation, ensure that in every match the team are seeking to be the better side and entertain
Plan: put in place a technical director of football who oversees the implementation of the strategy, secure a coach who can implement the DNA, and motivate and attract players, ensure all facets of the match day experience are delivered through excellence, achieve the best fan feedback in the given league

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH TECHNICAL

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:59 - Jun 30 with 1641 viewsunstableblue

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 20:43 - Jun 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m not sure that’s fair, it may well come crumbling down eventually but success has already been sustained for some time and under a few different managers too. Indeed their recent run in the Championship is the first time they’ve survived at that level since the 50’s (they had one season there in the early 90’s and were relegated immediately)

I’d probably liken them more to Swansea personally - no doubt at some point the wrong appointment or a bit of desperation will no doubt see them stumble, but even then they’ll have quite a way to fall to get back to their rightful place
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 20:43]

'no doubt at some point the wrong appointment or a bit of desperation will no doubt see them stumble'

if we forget that their 'level' is a hugely impressive new 18k stadium, with ability to expand.

But you are missing the point completely, they had a Technical Director, supported by a Director of Football. When he passed away. They brought in another Director of Football.

Whilst this technical regime has been in place, they've trawled through 3 managers. But the DNA, the strategy sticks. There was a great article about how the press stated when Dean Smith left they'd fall apart, but the fans knew the structure was in place.

I forgive you your ignorance.

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 22:14 - Jun 30 with 1600 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:59 - Jun 30 by unstableblue

'no doubt at some point the wrong appointment or a bit of desperation will no doubt see them stumble'

if we forget that their 'level' is a hugely impressive new 18k stadium, with ability to expand.

But you are missing the point completely, they had a Technical Director, supported by a Director of Football. When he passed away. They brought in another Director of Football.

Whilst this technical regime has been in place, they've trawled through 3 managers. But the DNA, the strategy sticks. There was a great article about how the press stated when Dean Smith left they'd fall apart, but the fans knew the structure was in place.

I forgive you your ignorance.

WTAF, I acknowledged they’d had that success across various appointments and that the foundations were wider than that, and indeed the wider point that they’ve increased their level was the crux of my post

So other than the usual technical nonsense you’ve literally just repeated the points I made back to BlueBadger

Presumably you paid as much attention to my post as you have to Brentford’s strategy

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 22:17 - Jun 30 with 1586 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 21:54 - Jun 30 by unstableblue

That's bit harsh! Love, peace and harmony C_Healy.

I had thought some academy players had come from the Premier League due to an article; but appreciate you informing me of the reality. Albeit does it not indicate that no matter the source of the player (in many cases from lower levels) the coaching set-up gets them playing the 'Brentford' way.

Look I have my opinion, sorry if it grates with those on the thread. I keep pressing the 'technical' button, because its just a great word that for me encapsulates where we've gone wrong.

We've had a poor footballing strategy from day one of Marcus's reign, he also never put in a CEO to link to and drive that technical footballing strategy whilst driving the non footballing side of the business.

Club's like Brentford had a strategy, put in a TECHNICAL director (the late Phil Giles) and surrounded him by Directors of Football. If you don't think Rasmus Ankersen and Phil Giles are Technical in their methods and view of how players should be developed. Then we just have a different opinion. View them on youtube.

Good managers need to be motivators, man managers and technical (in terms of player selection, development AND system/set-up) PERIOD. And club's like Brentford, due to a clear strategy realise that the latter is paramount and put in place footballing structures to ensure this is embedded and enduring, to support/direct a coach/manager who may change.

Only Mick has come close to fulfilling two of those characteristics. But no one has been the complete package.

Marcus has been advised by bafoons, he's hired bafooons, and we have no enduring technical identity.

That is my view. Sorry!

Vision > Strategy > Objective > Plan.
Vision: to bring Ipswich into the Premier League and to increase the match day attendance and commercial viability of the club through an entertaining and effective style of football
Strategy: develop a technical DNA and structure to the footballing side of the club, that allows the development of academy and lower league players, and delivers an attack minded brand of football that entertains fans during an excellent match day experience
Objectives: ensure line of sight from the strategy to all ITFC staff, mandate that the coach is interchangeable from the football DNA, only select and develop players with character and technical foundation, ensure that in every match the team are seeking to be the better side and entertain
Plan: put in place a technical director of football who oversees the implementation of the strategy, secure a coach who can implement the DNA, and motivate and attract players, ensure all facets of the match day experience are delivered through excellence, achieve the best fan feedback in the given league

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH TECHNICAL

And again, most people agree with most of those points, you just undo all your good work by endlessly repeating the word TECHNICAL despite never being able to give an actual example of what it means, all with the posting style of a stroppy child

Your last line was an excellent summary of your posts mind

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 22:45 - Jun 30 with 1527 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 22:17 - Jun 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

And again, most people agree with most of those points, you just undo all your good work by endlessly repeating the word TECHNICAL despite never being able to give an actual example of what it means, all with the posting style of a stroppy child

Your last line was an excellent summary of your posts mind

What is this anger towards indicating a club uses a technical approach?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 00:26 - Jul 1 with 1452 viewsunstableblue

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 22:45 - Jun 30 by TheTrueBlue1878

Thank you, thank you.

I’m wrong about so many things. But I’m convinced the lack of Marcus putting a technical structure into the club from day one, had been central to our demise.

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 00:28 - Jul 1 with 1448 viewsunstableblue

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 22:14 - Jun 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

WTAF, I acknowledged they’d had that success across various appointments and that the foundations were wider than that, and indeed the wider point that they’ve increased their level was the crux of my post

So other than the usual technical nonsense you’ve literally just repeated the points I made back to BlueBadger

Presumably you paid as much attention to my post as you have to Brentford’s strategy

Many apologies. I have to admit to reading only the second half of your post.

It’s that stroppy child again -‘WTAF’

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 07:29 - Jul 1 with 1304 viewsHerbivore

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 00:26 - Jul 1 by unstableblue

Thank you, thank you.

I’m wrong about so many things. But I’m convinced the lack of Marcus putting a technical structure into the club from day one, had been central to our demise.

Brentford's technical structure or Rotherham's technical structure?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 07:32 - Jul 1 with 1298 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Brentford flying up the table to the top two - may I say 'technical'? on 22:45 - Jun 30 by TheTrueBlue1878

Because it’s a made up meaningless term that the OP has used to describe Liverpool, Coventry, Rotherham, Brentford and Lincoln (amongst others), clubs with completely different styles and approaches. Essentially they seem to think it’s a synonym for good

Whenever this is pointed out a tantrum ensues

It’s quite admirable in some ways

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 07:37 - Jul 1 with 1284 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 00:28 - Jul 1 by unstableblue

Many apologies. I have to admit to reading only the second half of your post.

It’s that stroppy child again -‘WTAF’

Glad that you actually bothered to read that one

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024