Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stupid people. Stupid journalism. 09:43 - Jul 2 with 896 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53247817

This is funny.
There has to be a boundary and, given time we could all have smart and clever ways of marking it. It's been done in a hurry due to the circumstances.

Why not just accept it and get on with life. No, the local news outlet wants to fill space and drives around making ripples when the Gov wants people to be sensible and relaxed.

Doh.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 09:52 - Jul 2 with 856 viewsEwan_Oozami

If the Govt released the Pillar 2 tests to councils as they got them, rather than waiting a couple of weeks, maybe there might not have been such a rush to create those boundaries?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 10:11 - Jul 2 with 812 viewsWeWereZombies

This is an age old conundrum, for a rule to be enforced there has to be a line. But people who draw lines in the sand (I know, Leicester is a long way from a beach) tend to be derided for a confrontational approach. I think that all it does is show up a weakness in formulaic approaches to complex problems. In the fifties, when local government was generally stronger and more sensitive, this problem would have been adequately handled. It is our modern day reliance on post codes and other codified listing that conveniently fit information technology systems that can throw up dismal local solutions.

[edit] And it may be funny from the outside but if you are greatly inconvenienced by these situations then it is anything but funny.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 10:13]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 10:38 - Jul 2 with 776 viewshampstead_blue

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 10:11 - Jul 2 by WeWereZombies

This is an age old conundrum, for a rule to be enforced there has to be a line. But people who draw lines in the sand (I know, Leicester is a long way from a beach) tend to be derided for a confrontational approach. I think that all it does is show up a weakness in formulaic approaches to complex problems. In the fifties, when local government was generally stronger and more sensitive, this problem would have been adequately handled. It is our modern day reliance on post codes and other codified listing that conveniently fit information technology systems that can throw up dismal local solutions.

[edit] And it may be funny from the outside but if you are greatly inconvenienced by these situations then it is anything but funny.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 10:13]

Well put and things I did not know.
Thanks for sharing.

Pun accepted btw.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 11:39 - Jul 2 with 711 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Idiots.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 16:20 - Jul 2 with 617 viewsNBVJohn

I live about 7 miles west of the lockdown zone. The village I live in has a direct bus route to the City and there is some concern that at the weekend scores of people from within the lockdown area will descend on the village to use the pubs etc. Our local town is Hinckley where the concern is even greater due to a greater concentration of pubs etc.

Whilst trying to be unhysterical and balanced about the whole thing I have seen no evidence at all that the project has been sufficiently planned to avoid this scenario - the police in Leicester were not briefed in time, and I left my house for a (socially distanced) essential meeting in Birmingham on Tuesday morning without clear certainty that the lockdown didn’t include our village though I was fully prepared to turn back if this turned out to be the case.

I do think that the basic premise of local lockdown is a good one, and from what I understand, it’s necessary in Leicester, but in honesty it’s the usual car crash in terms of clear communication and consistent enforcement.
Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 16:26 - Jul 2 with 607 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 16:20 - Jul 2 by NBVJohn

I live about 7 miles west of the lockdown zone. The village I live in has a direct bus route to the City and there is some concern that at the weekend scores of people from within the lockdown area will descend on the village to use the pubs etc. Our local town is Hinckley where the concern is even greater due to a greater concentration of pubs etc.

Whilst trying to be unhysterical and balanced about the whole thing I have seen no evidence at all that the project has been sufficiently planned to avoid this scenario - the police in Leicester were not briefed in time, and I left my house for a (socially distanced) essential meeting in Birmingham on Tuesday morning without clear certainty that the lockdown didn’t include our village though I was fully prepared to turn back if this turned out to be the case.

I do think that the basic premise of local lockdown is a good one, and from what I understand, it’s necessary in Leicester, but in honesty it’s the usual car crash in terms of clear communication and consistent enforcement.

We had similar issues in Wales, but slightly easier to police and the Welsh Police hada clear guidance from the WG, so could easily identify and turn round cars that had travelled from England. Enforcing two simultaneous positions over only a small area must be a nightmare.

And as an aside, I learnt to properly swim in Hinckley Leisure Centre. I never had the guts to go off the top diving board though!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 16:59 - Jul 2 with 576 viewsNBVJohn

Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 16:26 - Jul 2 by Swansea_Blue

We had similar issues in Wales, but slightly easier to police and the Welsh Police hada clear guidance from the WG, so could easily identify and turn round cars that had travelled from England. Enforcing two simultaneous positions over only a small area must be a nightmare.

And as an aside, I learnt to properly swim in Hinckley Leisure Centre. I never had the guts to go off the top diving board though!

It is my sad duty to inform you that the leisure centre, top board and all (nope, me neither) were demolished about 5 years ago. There’s a new one on the other side of the town centre now.

I moved up to this neck of the woods 20 years ago and developed an affinity with the old centre - I played squash there as well as being a member of the gym. I was sad to see it go, but it was in a bit of a state towards the end.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 17:01]
Stupid people. Stupid journalism. on 17:16 - Jul 2 with 552 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I would not like to get into an argument with Paula Meadows.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024