Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr 10:16 - Jul 2 with 2658 viewsElderGrizzly

Against all FCO advice and going via Bulgaria to avoid ban in travel between UK and Greece

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 10:31 - Jul 2 with 1860 viewsHerbivore

One rule for the elite, one for everyone else. Hopefully he gets robbed and can't claim on his travel insurance.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:26 - Jul 2 with 1790 viewsSomethingBlue

They continue to laugh in people's faces and an incredible percentage of the people continue to love it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:30 - Jul 2 with 1770 viewsSwansea_Blue

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 10:31 - Jul 2 by Herbivore

One rule for the elite, one for everyone else. Hopefully he gets robbed and can't claim on his travel insurance.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:39 - Jul 2 with 1744 viewsSwansea_Blue

On the plus side, it's another example of the Daily Mail showing up this government and the people around it for the a-holes they are. At this rate some Mail readers may slowly start to see the light (possibly).

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:53 - Jul 2 with 1679 viewsHerbivore

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:26 - Jul 2 by SomethingBlue

They continue to laugh in people's faces and an incredible percentage of the people continue to love it.

It's become so tribal that those who support Johnson will find reasons to justify it.

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:01 - Jul 2 with 1649 viewsElderGrizzly

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:53 - Jul 2 by Herbivore

It's become so tribal that those who support Johnson will find reasons to justify it.

Freedom of Movement...😏
An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:12 - Jul 2 with 1609 viewsChutney

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:53 - Jul 2 by Herbivore

Which Johnson?
An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:14 - Jul 2 with 1604 viewsHerbivore

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:12 - Jul 2 by Chutney

Which Johnson?

Gavin.

Login to get fewer ads

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:47 - Jul 2 with 1523 viewsIllinoisblue

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:14 - Jul 2 by Herbivore

Gavin.

Pick that one oot

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:48 - Jul 2 with 1524 views26_Paz

Has he broken any laws? I don’t think there’s anything to stop anyone else doing this. Not so much one rule for one and one rule for everyone else as guidance that one individual has chosen to ignore ...

The Paz Man

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:52 - Jul 2 with 1498 viewsHerbivore

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:48 - Jul 2 by 26_Paz

Has he broken any laws? I don’t think there’s anything to stop anyone else doing this. Not so much one rule for one and one rule for everyone else as guidance that one individual has chosen to ignore ...

Guidance issued by his son's government. Things don't need to be illegal to be worthy of scorn, Paz.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 12:53]

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:58 - Jul 2 with 1464 viewsChutney

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:52 - Jul 2 by Herbivore

Guidance issued by his son's government. Things don't need to be illegal to be worthy of scorn, Paz.

It does raise an interesting question to what extent, if any, the Prime Minister is responsible for the actions of his father. Certainly reflects terribly on Johnson Snr, but can Boris be responsible for the actions of others, family or otherwise? In the same respect Jeremy Corbyn's lunatic brother isn't' a reflection on JC. In my opinion.
An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 13:09 - Jul 2 with 1421 viewsfactual_blue

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 11:39 - Jul 2 by Swansea_Blue

On the plus side, it's another example of the Daily Mail showing up this government and the people around it for the a-holes they are. At this rate some Mail readers may slowly start to see the light (possibly).

A one way ticket would be fine.

Perhaps he could rock up in his ancestral homeland of Turkey.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 13:21 - Jul 2 with 1376 viewsHerbivore

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 12:58 - Jul 2 by Chutney

It does raise an interesting question to what extent, if any, the Prime Minister is responsible for the actions of his father. Certainly reflects terribly on Johnson Snr, but can Boris be responsible for the actions of others, family or otherwise? In the same respect Jeremy Corbyn's lunatic brother isn't' a reflection on JC. In my opinion.

I think the issue is if you're own father isn't following rb guidance, and you either haven't tried or have failed to convince him to follow it, then it rather undermines your credibility and your ability to tell everyone else they also need to follow it. It's also yet another example of one of Johnson's inner circle seeing themselves as being above the restrictions the rest of us are expected to adhere to, which again undermines the message. That is the issue rather than Johnson being directly responsible.

The Corbyn example doesn't necessarily work here, this isn't about a family member holding some whacky views, it's about a very close family member who goes in to bat for Johnson at times acting in a way that contravenes a message his son's government is trying to uphold. Not quite the same thing, especially when you add in the way that the elder Johnson has been sent out to act as a spokesperson for his son in the way that Corbyn's brother hasn't. There is also the further distinction between a party of government and opposition, one is actually offering guidance that is being breached whereas the other can't do so.

And in any case as I said, it's not about holding the younger Johnson responsible for his dad's actions but rather that the actions undermine his government's messaging and it doesn't reflect terribly well on any of them.

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 15:07 - Jul 2 with 1265 viewsTractorWood

In my eyes, to which I'm happy to be rebutted especially as one of the posters on here is pretty closely involved to their matters, the FCO are one of Britain's best and most fit for purpose departments. It provides in depth and specific guidance to hundreds of countries on an extremely specific and niche basis. For example here is some handy tips on Guinea Bissau:

Carry ID (passport or residence permit) with you at all times, particularly when driving or taking a taxi, when the likelihood of having to produce it is high.

People should listen to their guidance as it's based on providing support to people for many years for millions of trips.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 16:52 - Jul 2 with 1149 viewsElderGrizzly

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 15:07 - Jul 2 by TractorWood

In my eyes, to which I'm happy to be rebutted especially as one of the posters on here is pretty closely involved to their matters, the FCO are one of Britain's best and most fit for purpose departments. It provides in depth and specific guidance to hundreds of countries on an extremely specific and niche basis. For example here is some handy tips on Guinea Bissau:

Carry ID (passport or residence permit) with you at all times, particularly when driving or taking a taxi, when the likelihood of having to produce it is high.

People should listen to their guidance as it's based on providing support to people for many years for millions of trips.

I’m thinking of getting more general advice out there at present of simply “don’t be a selfish c*nt”
An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 16:59 - Jul 2 with 1143 viewsSwansea_Blue

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 15:07 - Jul 2 by TractorWood

Agreed. Or that was my impression when I used to travel a lot and be involved with FCO initiatives and rely on their advice and in-country support. That was back when Rifkind, Robin Cook, Jack Straw, Beckett and Dave Miliband were at the helm. All decent Foreign Secs in my experience.

God knows what state the service is in now though after Johnson and Raab have had their hands on it in recent years.

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 17:00 - Jul 2 with 1141 viewsBlueBadger

In any case, it was perfectly fine because he wasn't protesting against systemic racism.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 17:03 - Jul 2 with 1137 viewsuefacup81

Sadly I'm starting to think that these almost-daily 'scandals' are merely 'dead cats' which the media seem all too happy to pounce upon and turn into the headline du jour.

Whilst everyone is focusing on Johnson Snr, the fiasco of the delayed lockdown in Leicester is being bumped down the running order, just as the Tories would like it.

See also:

Barnard Castle eye test
£900k aeroplane paint-job
etc.,
etc.,

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 17:10 - Jul 2 with 1117 viewsPinewoodblue

Suspect Johnson Snr is looking to buy property in Greece. If you invest €250,000 you get greek residency with freedom of movement around Europe.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 17:40 - Jul 2 with 1079 viewsTractorWood

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 16:59 - Jul 2 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed. Or that was my impression when I used to travel a lot and be involved with FCO initiatives and rely on their advice and in-country support. That was back when Rifkind, Robin Cook, Jack Straw, Beckett and Dave Miliband were at the helm. All decent Foreign Secs in my experience.

God knows what state the service is in now though after Johnson and Raab have had their hands on it in recent years.

Before going to Japan I looked on their website and it says it is the law for all foreigners to have their passport on them at all times.

Literally priceless advice.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 20:31 - Jul 2 with 1002 viewsandytown

I had understood that Greece is closed to British citizens at the moment, so how did he get through after flying from Sofia?
An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 20:35 - Jul 2 with 994 views26_Paz

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 17:00 - Jul 2 by BlueBadger

In any case, it was perfectly fine because he wasn't protesting against systemic racism.

He was making a property he rents out to holiday makers COVID secure. What an absolute b@stard ...

The Paz Man

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 20:43 - Jul 2 with 981 viewsjaykay

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 20:35 - Jul 2 by 26_Paz

He was making a property he rents out to holiday makers COVID secure. What an absolute b@stard ...

i would have thought ,how do the landed gentry say, they have people do that sort of thing.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 21:55 - Jul 2 with 929 viewsHerbivore

An ‘essential’ trip to Greece by Johnson snr on 20:35 - Jul 2 by 26_Paz

You really buy that? Blimey.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024