Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This £2.5 million League One salary cap 11:12 - Jul 2 with 3741 viewsbournemouthblue

is ridiculous

It's going to massively limit the ability for League One clubs to bridge the gap to the Championship once promoted?

I'm all for the progression of youth development but it's surely going to see a lot of Championship sides hording all the players who are even remotely competent

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:01 - Jul 2 with 847 viewssparks

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 14:43 - Jul 2 by DinnernotTea

"You pay to get the best in"

No you don't. Ipswich and Sunderland proved that this season, neither club got promoted. Fleetwood & Wycombe proved what you can do on £2.5m budget.

Our wage bill is £7.5m. Majority/all of the Championship will be north of £20m so we're already at a huge disadvantage.

No one said that people always do it well or effectively... Thats a strawman.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:03 - Jul 2 with 845 viewssparks

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 14:49 - Jul 2 by ArnieM

This is just the Sky funded Premier League / distorted Championship, Mark II at a lower level.

This salary cap will effectively kill off any hope of lower league teams getting promoted or staying in the Championship. And as usual ITFC are the wrong sodding side of the fence when the shutters come down. This salary cap will effectively consign ITFC to lower league football for good., by disempowering * us financially. It wouldn’t matte4 if a mulitibillionaire bought this Club, they will be restricted b6 this £2.5m wage cap. Not a f lucking hope of recruiting better players.

Quite- and then how many really promising ones will choose our academy over, say, that of Norwich. Or West Ham. None- because it will be firmly second tier.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:19 - Jul 2 with 814 viewsDinnernotTea

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:01 - Jul 2 by sparks

No one said that people always do it well or effectively... Thats a strawman.

Championship clubs pay two sometimes three times than we can right now. So crying about a cap is absolutely pointless, they can already hoover up who they like.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:37 - Jul 2 with 804 viewssparks

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:19 - Jul 2 by DinnernotTea

Championship clubs pay two sometimes three times than we can right now. So crying about a cap is absolutely pointless, they can already hoover up who they like.

You seem insistent on avoiding the point(s).

1- This makes an existing gap vastly bigger, with the impact one would expect
2- It drags more affluent clubs down to the level of the smallest.

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:57 - Jul 2 with 784 viewsDinnernotTea

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:37 - Jul 2 by sparks

You seem to be missing the most obvious. 2, 3, 8, 10 times more it doesn't matter. We are complete small fry right now and after paying £7.5m to finish 11th I'm all for our grossly overpaid losers taking a pay cut.

Luton last season. And who knows Fleetwood or Wycombe this season proves it can be done. And this will also safeguard our future no.

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 16:10 - Jul 2 with 770 viewssparks

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:57 - Jul 2 by DinnernotTea

You seem to be missing the most obvious. 2, 3, 8, 10 times more it doesn't matter. We are complete small fry right now and after paying £7.5m to finish 11th I'm all for our grossly overpaid losers taking a pay cut.

Luton last season. And who knows Fleetwood or Wycombe this season proves it can be done. And this will also safeguard our future no.

This appears to be pointless. I'll leave you to it.

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 16:23 - Jul 2 with 763 viewsArnieM

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:37 - Jul 2 by sparks

Absolutely spot on. This is the most worrying aspect of the EFLs action during CoVId. I frankly am far more upset by this than the ending of last season prematurely.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 21:02 - Jul 2 with 706 viewsbournemouthblue

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 15:57 - Jul 2 by DinnernotTea

I can remember Radio Suffolk suggesting Fleetwood had a higher wage bill than us?

Login to get fewer ads

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 21:06 - Jul 2 with 702 viewssyntaxerror

Does that include win bonuses?
This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 23:39 - Jul 2 with 679 viewsDinnernotTea

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 21:02 - Jul 2 by bournemouthblue

I can remember Radio Suffolk suggesting Fleetwood had a higher wage bill than us?

They have players on more than Garbutt, Chambers, Skuse, Judge? Absolutely no chance.

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 12:23 - Jul 4 with 617 viewsbournemouthblue

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 23:39 - Jul 2 by DinnernotTea

They have players on more than Garbutt, Chambers, Skuse, Judge? Absolutely no chance.

Norwood will be our highest paid player

Perhaps they pay more than average, either way, Radio Suffolk reckoned they had a higher wage bill than us so the idea they're on £2.5 million is a bit naive?

As a side note, I believe they've done studies on footballers wages and whilst transfer fees aren't proportional to quality. They reckon the market rate on wages is far more proportional to actual quality.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2020 12:59]

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 09:12 - Jul 5 with 561 viewsArnieM

Not sure why there’s even got to be a salary cap in leagues one and two because most of the clubs can’t even afford to pay that level of wages . The salary cap needs to be brought in at Premier and Championship levels - THATS where the problem is and it’s ALL down to Sky money .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 09:42 - Jul 5 with 546 viewsbournemouthblue

This £2.5 million League One salary cap on 09:12 - Jul 5 by ArnieM

Not sure why there’s even got to be a salary cap in leagues one and two because most of the clubs can’t even afford to pay that level of wages . The salary cap needs to be brought in at Premier and Championship levels - THATS where the problem is and it’s ALL down to Sky money .

League One actually has a rule where you can only spend 60% of your revenue on wages which seems sensible enough?

Most sides who get into the Championship from League One are pretty financially stable

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024