Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... 12:11 - Jul 2 with 5711 viewsElderGrizzly

Starkey’s take on slavery and genocide.

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:12 - Jul 2 with 3047 viewsMullet

Bit right wing innit

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:16 - Jul 2 with 3030 viewsElderGrizzly

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:12 - Jul 2 by Mullet

Bit right wing innit

A bit like this

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:21 - Jul 2 with 2988 viewsJakeITFC

Hopefully that's him thrown in the bin then.
David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:25 - Jul 2 with 2968 viewsEnigma_Blue

That's a bit like claiming the Holocaust didn't happen due to the fact there are so many Jews in the world.
David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:28 - Jul 2 with 2941 viewsitfcjoe

Another one that has lost the plot over Brexit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:40 - Jul 2 with 2888 viewsElderGrizzly

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:28 - Jul 2 by itfcjoe

Another one that has lost the plot over Brexit

He has been like this for years. Mrs G’s dad was head of History at Brighton College and has a hatred of him from a professional viewpoint. How DS calls himself a historian is beyond him.
David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:45 - Jul 2 with 2840 viewsfooters

Erdogan should hire him to confirm the Armenian genocide never happened too.

What a racist plank.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:48 - Jul 2 with 2826 viewsgiant_stow

splutter what?!

bye bye career.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 13:17 - Jul 2 with 2692 viewsfactual_blue

I don't know why they've put historian in inverted commas. Starkey had a long career as an academic.

And to the extent that 'genocide' is a pejorative thrown around willy-nilly, he's correct.

18th century British slavery was systematic and harsh exploitation, not systematic murder of people of a particular colour, nation or creed.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 13:17 - Jul 2 with 2691 viewsLankHenners

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:16 - Jul 2 by ElderGrizzly

A bit like this

I loathe to say anything that comes close to a defence of the tw@t but a lot of people are getting excited about this when various US military insignia, among other things, carries the eagle (the US national symbol after all) in this position.

As for Starkey, not really surprising, unfortunately, that he has this view, and arguably less surprising to see Darren Grimes nodding in agreement with it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 13:24 - Jul 2 with 2643 viewsNthQldITFC

Always looks to me like he's just been pulled out of his burrow by the snout.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 13:27 - Jul 2 with 2625 viewsbournemouthblue

Starkey has always been a buffoon, nothing here surprises me

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 13:45 - Jul 2 with 2529 viewsSwansea_Blue

DBLM

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 14:46 - Jul 2 with 2422 viewsWeWereZombies

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 13:17 - Jul 2 by factual_blue

I don't know why they've put historian in inverted commas. Starkey had a long career as an academic.

And to the extent that 'genocide' is a pejorative thrown around willy-nilly, he's correct.

18th century British slavery was systematic and harsh exploitation, not systematic murder of people of a particular colour, nation or creed.

I remember hearing a snippet on BBC Radio Four some years back that suggested Irish immigrants on Liverpool docks looked longingly at black slaves because the latter were guaranteed food and bedding. Probably bunkum when you consider that transportation from West Africa to the southern states of America or to the Caribbean is unlikely to involve a stop off in Liverpool. But the premise that slaves survived because they had value, it was worthwhile to keep them in good order to maintain that value, and if you could get them to breed then you increased your stock and therefore the value of your chattels. That's capitalism.

I have not found a reliable reference for this but I did come across this interesting update on a point of controversy that makes fascinating reading:

https://www.historyireland.com/volume-25/issue-4-julyaugust-2017/features-issue-

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 15:07 - Jul 2 with 2370 viewsClapham_Junction

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:48 - Jul 2 by giant_stow

splutter what?!

bye bye career.

I doubt it will stop him getting invited onto QT, Newsnight etc regularly.

LBC might even offer him his own show.
David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 15:46 - Jul 2 with 2305 viewsbrazil1982

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 14:46 - Jul 2 by WeWereZombies

I remember hearing a snippet on BBC Radio Four some years back that suggested Irish immigrants on Liverpool docks looked longingly at black slaves because the latter were guaranteed food and bedding. Probably bunkum when you consider that transportation from West Africa to the southern states of America or to the Caribbean is unlikely to involve a stop off in Liverpool. But the premise that slaves survived because they had value, it was worthwhile to keep them in good order to maintain that value, and if you could get them to breed then you increased your stock and therefore the value of your chattels. That's capitalism.

I have not found a reliable reference for this but I did come across this interesting update on a point of controversy that makes fascinating reading:

https://www.historyireland.com/volume-25/issue-4-julyaugust-2017/features-issue-

Ships with slaves did not dock in the UK - sailed from Western Africa to the destination.
David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 16:10 - Jul 2 with 2262 viewstractordownsouth

Hopefully that'll be Darren Grimes consigned to the political rubbish bin.

Shame that won't happen

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 16:23 - Jul 2 with 2243 viewsSwansea_Blue

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 15:46 - Jul 2 by brazil1982

Ships with slaves did not dock in the UK - sailed from Western Africa to the destination.

I think we did transport some here as there was a trade in slaves in the UK, London especially, but the numbers were relatively low compared to those shipped across the channel directly to the Americas. That's the end of my knowledge though!

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 16:50 - Jul 2 with 2199 viewsClapham_Junction

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 16:23 - Jul 2 by Swansea_Blue

I think we did transport some here as there was a trade in slaves in the UK, London especially, but the numbers were relatively low compared to those shipped across the channel directly to the Americas. That's the end of my knowledge though!

Some interesting material on Liverpool Museums website:

Many of the ports have stories about the slave trade passed on by word of mouth and in popular histories. Liverpudlians are very familiar with the stories of tunnels under the city for transporting slaves between the docks and the town and the cellars where they are said to have been kept and shackled. But one can find similar tales of tunnels and cellars in Bristol and in Nantes. Perhaps more surprisingly, there are stories of slaves being kept in the cellars of isolated farmhouses in Morecambe Bay and working in the local quarries - a reflection of Lancaster’s brief foray into the trade.

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ports-of-transatlantic-slave-trade
David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 17:05 - Jul 2 with 2173 viewsSwansea_Blue

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 16:50 - Jul 2 by Clapham_Junction

Some interesting material on Liverpool Museums website:

Many of the ports have stories about the slave trade passed on by word of mouth and in popular histories. Liverpudlians are very familiar with the stories of tunnels under the city for transporting slaves between the docks and the town and the cellars where they are said to have been kept and shackled. But one can find similar tales of tunnels and cellars in Bristol and in Nantes. Perhaps more surprisingly, there are stories of slaves being kept in the cellars of isolated farmhouses in Morecambe Bay and working in the local quarries - a reflection of Lancaster’s brief foray into the trade.

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ports-of-transatlantic-slave-trade

That's an interesting read thanks. My knowledge about this is pretty limited to reading Roots when I was a lot younger!

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 17:41 - Jul 2 with 2097 viewsDarth_Koont

Answer: Because our media has little to no standards left. Journalistic or moral.

Pronouns: He/Him

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 17:45 - Jul 2 with 2079 viewsmatteoblue

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 13:17 - Jul 2 by factual_blue

Yes that's correct, it is very silly to try and cheapen the word 'genocide' when it is something that seriously damages or wipes out an entire race of people. Starkey is just stating facts here, but what is interesting is attempts by people who want people silenced who are merely voicing intelligent opinions. It was mentioned on this thread that it could be said that there are plenty of Jews around so how could there be a genocide. Well that's really not the case. There were over 16 million Jews in Europe before WW2, and now about 1 million. So it really cannot be compared to a comment like that.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 17:50 - Jul 2 with 2060 viewsRyorry

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 17:45 - Jul 2 by matteoblue

Yes that's correct, it is very silly to try and cheapen the word 'genocide' when it is something that seriously damages or wipes out an entire race of people. Starkey is just stating facts here, but what is interesting is attempts by people who want people silenced who are merely voicing intelligent opinions. It was mentioned on this thread that it could be said that there are plenty of Jews around so how could there be a genocide. Well that's really not the case. There were over 16 million Jews in Europe before WW2, and now about 1 million. So it really cannot be compared to a comment like that.

He's not just stating facts though is he.

"Damn blacks" is a jaw-dropping give-away re his underlying racist attitude.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 18:01 - Jul 2 with 2020 viewsElderGrizzly

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 12:48 - Jul 2 by giant_stow

splutter what?!

bye bye career.

It’s a start anyway

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 18:23 - Jul 2 with 1967 viewslightuser

David Starkey - there wouldn't be so many damn blacks... on 16:23 - Jul 2 by Swansea_Blue

Look up the trade winds. England was perfectly positioned in the "triangle" to get the return shipments of cotton, sugar and tobacco from the Caribbean/New World..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024