Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club 18:33 - Jul 2 with 2289 viewsmonty_radio

So what have Wigan got, in terms of potential, that we don't have?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:34 - Jul 2 with 1870 viewsBlueBadger

A manager's office not occupied by Paul Lambert.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 18:34]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:35 - Jul 2 with 1874 viewsAce_High1

And I bet Laurence Bassini is one of them
Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:37 - Jul 2 with 1865 viewsShawsey

Mike Ashley probably favourite.
Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:38 - Jul 2 with 1859 viewsShawsey

Think they are owned by a company from Hong Kong, so probably have loads of contacts. Only one person in the running I think. Lord Ashley of Sportsdirctshire.
Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:40 - Jul 2 with 1851 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A place in the Championship currently. Although, if they get a points deduction this season that is not going to last is it? Will the deduction be this season?

A club for sale at a much lower price than I expect ME would be looking for too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:47 - Jul 2 with 1799 viewsBloomBlue

Wigan won the FA Cup 7 years ago we won it 40 years ago, they have are more up to date history than us.
Plus as they're in administration it will be a lot cheaper to buy.
Finally an interest doesn't mean they can afford to buy it. They should look for a rich Hong Kong group to buy them
Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:59 - Jul 2 with 1776 viewsfactual_blue

Uncle Joe's Mint Balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 19:05 - Jul 2 with 1759 viewsmonty_radio

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 18:47 - Jul 2 by BloomBlue

Wigan won the FA Cup 7 years ago we won it 40 years ago, they have are more up to date history than us.
Plus as they're in administration it will be a lot cheaper to buy.
Finally an interest doesn't mean they can afford to buy it. They should look for a rich Hong Kong group to buy them

Yes they're recent history is better than ours, but 20k sometimes watched Town in L1 this season. We are not twenty miles from Liverpool and Manchester, and our big community support goes back a century.

Yes, an interest doesn't signify a commitment, but 12! On Day One!

Login to get fewer ads

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 19:08 - Jul 2 with 1757 viewsShawsey

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 19:05 - Jul 2 by monty_radio

Yes they're recent history is better than ours, but 20k sometimes watched Town in L1 this season. We are not twenty miles from Liverpool and Manchester, and our big community support goes back a century.

Yes, an interest doesn't signify a commitment, but 12! On Day One!

11 of them are probably Wigan fans with a sense of humour.
Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 19:15 - Jul 2 with 1739 viewsbluewein

A club that'll probably be sold for a fiver due to it being in administration...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 19:24 - Jul 2 with 1727 viewsmonty_radio

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 19:15 - Jul 2 by bluewein

A club that'll probably be sold for a fiver due to it being in administration...

But it won't be free.

2019 debt = £21m - source: Financial Football News.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2020 19:28]

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 20:35 - Jul 2 with 1633 viewsIpswichKnight

They are desperate to sell and that brings out all the chancers and fantasists like the Bury owners and Bassani, there are probably some Town fans who would welcome those types as they are not ME. I’d be very very worried about the future of Wigan if I were a Wigan fan now.
Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 21:15 - Jul 2 with 1588 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A team of administrators?

A bunch of shell companies picking over their accounts?

Laurence Bassini?

LOLs.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 21:27 - Jul 2 with 1574 viewsitfcjoe

They are in the Championship

They own their ground and have a long standing tenant (Wigan Warriors)

They won 2 training grounds

They have a left back worth £8m, and Keiffer Moore prob worth £5m.

In reality they are/were a well run club, who have no business going into administration - they just have a new owner who has decided to stop writing the cheque at the end of the month and no one can really work out why

Covid seemingly being blamed but seems totally unlinked

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 21:35 - Jul 2 with 1566 viewsTrequartista

A pier

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:37 - Jul 3 with 1348 viewsmonty_radio

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 21:27 - Jul 2 by itfcjoe

They are in the Championship

They own their ground and have a long standing tenant (Wigan Warriors)

They won 2 training grounds

They have a left back worth £8m, and Keiffer Moore prob worth £5m.

In reality they are/were a well run club, who have no business going into administration - they just have a new owner who has decided to stop writing the cheque at the end of the month and no one can really work out why

Covid seemingly being blamed but seems totally unlinked

As you say WERE a well-run club. But it's not where they are now.

https://www.wigantoday.net/business/top-football-finance-lecturer-and-author-spe

Their assets don't amount to much more than ours so I think my O.P. question of why we allegedly can't attract buyers remains, especially our continuing history of community support.

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:41 - Jul 3 with 1340 viewssparks

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:37 - Jul 3 by monty_radio

https://www.wigantoday.net/business/top-football-finance-lecturer-and-author-spe

Their assets don't amount to much more than ours so I think my O.P. question of why we allegedly can't attract buyers remains, especially our continuing history of community support.

Because they will be sold for a very modest sum- and control of that is with administrators, rather than with the people or person (ME in our case) who is owed money.

Suspect we could readily find a buyer if we sold for a quid, and wrote off all of ME's investment...
[Post edited 3 Jul 2020 10:47]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:52 - Jul 3 with 1310 viewsKeno

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:41 - Jul 3 by sparks

Because they will be sold for a very modest sum- and control of that is with administrators, rather than with the people or person (ME in our case) who is owed money.

Suspect we could readily find a buyer if we sold for a quid, and wrote off all of ME's investment...

According to the perceived TWTD 'wisdom' that would mean Evans could make a fortune out of all the tax he save

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:57 - Jul 3 with 1304 viewsmonty_radio

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:41 - Jul 3 by sparks

It's been pretty well documented that M.E. would not be seeking to get back anything like what he has put in. Wigan's administrators are now mentioning a £6+ miliion debt and proof of £10 funds.

Town's position has never been publicly aired because it would essentially be a private transaction, but I seem to recall that some more in the know than I am have previously mentioned a figure such as £20m.

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:07 - Jul 3 with 1294 viewsuefacup81

As I've said in the thread, the fact that it's a distressed sale with, perhaps, less due-diligence being performed by the selling parties than would be the case if the club was being sold in a much better state.

You'll get the club at a knock-down price and, although the administrators are asking for proof of £10m funds, as the current debacle shows, there is no requirement for that funding to actually make its way into the club.

Wigan Athletic is, therefore, currently the perfect opportunity for anyone who thinks they can rebuild the club and turn a profit, or your Laurence Bassini/Steve Dale types who want another opportunity to line their pockets.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:18 - Jul 3 with 1277 viewsmonty_radio

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:07 - Jul 3 by uefacup81

As I've said in the thread, the fact that it's a distressed sale with, perhaps, less due-diligence being performed by the selling parties than would be the case if the club was being sold in a much better state.

You'll get the club at a knock-down price and, although the administrators are asking for proof of £10m funds, as the current debacle shows, there is no requirement for that funding to actually make its way into the club.

Wigan Athletic is, therefore, currently the perfect opportunity for anyone who thinks they can rebuild the club and turn a profit, or your Laurence Bassini/Steve Dale types who want another opportunity to line their pockets.

But would it not now be the administrators who would be charged with said due diligence, not the fly-by-night current owners?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:26 - Jul 3 with 1256 viewsHerbivore

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 10:37 - Jul 3 by monty_radio

I feel like people have answered your question with several valid responses but you don't seem to want to hear them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:26 - Jul 3 with 1259 viewsuefacup81

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:18 - Jul 3 by monty_radio

But would it not now be the administrators who would be charged with said due diligence, not the fly-by-night current owners?

As is my understanding (which may be wrong) the administrators are charged with obtaining the best deal for the clubs creditors at this point in time. They don't give two hoots as to what will happen to Wigan Athletic once they've disposed of the club. As long as creditors get paid, they don't care.

Arguably a very different scenario to a club being sold by any semi-competent owner.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 12:10 - Jul 3 with 1230 viewsmonty_radio

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:26 - Jul 3 by Herbivore

I feel like people have answered your question with several valid responses but you don't seem to want to hear them.

Really! I haven't seen an attempt to link Wigan's sale with ours (which was the nub of my O.P.) other than to state that they're in the grip of poor owners and own a ground, and were once well run. Some have then joshed about who these 12 interested buyers might be, but assuming the administrators aren't fools, some may well be genuine. As I've said, it's been frequently said that M.E. would not ask for most of his money back. So, why have we attracted less interest when said to be investigating, however tentatively, a buyer? It's a genuine question with probably a complex answer, but i am not persuaded by what I've read so far - is that permissible?

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 12:12 - Jul 3 with 1224 viewsmonty_radio

Wigan's administrators acknowledge 12 expressions of interest in buying club on 11:26 - Jul 3 by uefacup81

As is my understanding (which may be wrong) the administrators are charged with obtaining the best deal for the clubs creditors at this point in time. They don't give two hoots as to what will happen to Wigan Athletic once they've disposed of the club. As long as creditors get paid, they don't care.

Arguably a very different scenario to a club being sold by any semi-competent owner.

O.K. I couldn't comment there, though surely the administrators would want to safeguard their own reputation, no?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024