Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... 18:37 - Jul 2 with 3792 viewssparks

Player is fouled, running into the box, falls, has the ball smashed against his arm at two inches range by a defender, ball ricochets away and Kane puts it in.

Disallowed for accidental handball. And all because some fans and pundits were too stupid to understand the old rule, or the concept of a referee having to make a judgment rather than a decision being binary and definitive.

Pathetic.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 18:47 - Jul 2 with 3749 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Absolutely. The problem there is the rule not VAR.

However, in that instance where an advantage was being played (presumably) the ref should have gone back to give Tottenham the free kick as the advantage did not materialise since the foul led to the handball.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 18:49 - Jul 2 with 3740 viewsPlums

Yep, the inability of pundits to:
A) understand the laws of the game
B) comprehend the concept of ‘deliberate’
Has brought about a farce.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:11 - Jul 2 with 3623 viewsWickets

Yes Pathetic is right .Second night running VAR got things wrong for me . Are we even sure the ball hit his arm ? Big joke for me defender can accidentally hand ball thats ok , attacker does the same and its not ok !!!!!
My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:32 - Jul 2 with 3586 views26_Paz

Ridiculous. I’ve been a fan of VAR but last night and tonight were both stupid

The Paz Man

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:37 - Jul 2 with 3583 viewssparks

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:11 - Jul 2 by Wickets

Yes Pathetic is right .Second night running VAR got things wrong for me . Are we even sure the ball hit his arm ? Big joke for me defender can accidentally hand ball thats ok , attacker does the same and its not ok !!!!!

VAR was precisely correct.

The rule is wrong. And that results from stupid dumbing down and tinkering for morons who cannot understand the concept of "deliberate" or that assessing deliberateness requires an element of judgment by a referee.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:38 - Jul 2 with 3575 views26_Paz

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:37 - Jul 2 by sparks

VAR was precisely correct.

The rule is wrong. And that results from stupid dumbing down and tinkering for morons who cannot understand the concept of "deliberate" or that assessing deliberateness requires an element of judgment by a referee.

Agree ... radical idea but maybe have an ex player as the VAR rather than a ref?

The Paz Man

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:02 - Jul 2 with 3543 viewssparks

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:38 - Jul 2 by 26_Paz

Agree ... radical idea but maybe have an ex player as the VAR rather than a ref?

The VAR was correct- how would changing the VAR person help?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:17 - Jul 2 with 3505 views26_Paz

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:02 - Jul 2 by sparks

Have someone who can maybe use some common sense ... I’m thinking about the West Ham one yesterday as well. Rather than just a computer says no approach

The Paz Man

Login to get fewer ads

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:20 - Jul 2 with 3498 viewsWickets

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:02 - Jul 2 by sparks

What you say is correct and the new rule is an ass . I was not sure that the ball had hit his arm though and Jamie Redknapp was saying the same, it might have done but the replays we saw seemed inconclusive . So if i'm right VAR are guessing .
My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:25 - Jul 2 with 3497 viewsTrequartista

I cannot understand how this got through IFAB. Did they just think up a new rule without exploring any of the connotations because they were bored?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:34 - Jul 2 with 3470 viewsBlueBadger

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 20:38 - Jul 2 by 26_Paz

Because, as is frequently demonstrated on any kind of live football involving ex-players as pundits, they frequently demonstrate thay don't understand the laws of the game.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:38 - Jul 2 with 3454 viewssparks

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:17 - Jul 2 by 26_Paz

Have someone who can maybe use some common sense ... I’m thinking about the West Ham one yesterday as well. Rather than just a computer says no approach

This is the thing with rules. if there is no discretion built into them, you cannot ignore or bend them without destroying confidence in the system entirely. The issue here is the rule , not VAR.

Though I hate VAR in any event.

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:39 - Jul 2 with 3450 views26_Paz

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:34 - Jul 2 by BlueBadger

Because, as is frequently demonstrated on any kind of live football involving ex-players as pundits, they frequently demonstrate thay don't understand the laws of the game.

As I said maybe they’d understand the spirit of the rules rather than the letter of them ... it’s ruining the game at the moment

The Paz Man

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:51 - Jul 2 with 3436 viewsPlums

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:39 - Jul 2 by 26_Paz

As I said maybe they’d understand the spirit of the rules rather than the letter of them ... it’s ruining the game at the moment

They’ve caused a lot of this. The knowledge of tha game is one thing but it’s amazing how many so called ‘professionals’ don’t seem to understand its laws. Sheer laziness.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 22:17 - Jul 2 with 3399 viewsRadlett_blue

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:51 - Jul 2 by Plums

They’ve caused a lot of this. The knowledge of tha game is one thing but it’s amazing how many so called ‘professionals’ don’t seem to understand its laws. Sheer laziness.

Like Redknapp, calling for "common sense" to be used. As a highly paid pundit, you'd think he should be willing to read & learn the new laws.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 22:25 - Jul 2 with 3378 viewsJakeITFC

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 21:38 - Jul 2 by sparks

This is the thing with rules. if there is no discretion built into them, you cannot ignore or bend them without destroying confidence in the system entirely. The issue here is the rule , not VAR.

Though I hate VAR in any event.

VAR does however magnify the rule.
My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 11:31 - Jul 3 with 3146 viewsGarv

This is all born out of players, managers and fans having a sense of entitlement and desire that nothing ever goes against them and that they can never be on the end of a bit of bad luck.

The whole 'we want consistency' thing is ridiculous. Football isn't consistent. As you say, things aren't black and white and every game has a different referee.

I'm pretty sure Warnock's hissy fit after the offside Chelsea goal was what brought VAR into football. I blame him for a lot of it.

Referees (or the governing body) aren't blameless. Every 50/50 now has to result in a foul one way or another. Rarely do you see a ref waive play on. Advantages rarely played because they're terrified into making a call within a millisecond.

Broadcasters deserve a mention too for showing 1000 replays and scrutinizing every decision, adding to the feeling that teams are constantly hard done by.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 11:51 - Jul 3 with 3093 viewsrickw

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 22:25 - Jul 2 by JakeITFC

VAR does however magnify the rule.

I'm sure IFAB weren't thinking about VAR analysing play to spot a tiny brush off the shoulder when agreeing to this rule.

The rule should read something like if the ball hits the hand/arm which affects the direction of the ball in a way it wouldn't if the hand/arm wasn't there.

The ball obviously hit Moura and changed direction, but if his arm wasn't there it would still have hit his body and rebounded as it did.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:16 - Jul 3 with 3077 viewssparks

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 11:51 - Jul 3 by rickw

I'm sure IFAB weren't thinking about VAR analysing play to spot a tiny brush off the shoulder when agreeing to this rule.

The rule should read something like if the ball hits the hand/arm which affects the direction of the ball in a way it wouldn't if the hand/arm wasn't there.

The ball obviously hit Moura and changed direction, but if his arm wasn't there it would still have hit his body and rebounded as it did.

Making fiddly little clauses to deal with individual situation is usually a bad idea- ends up with huge complications and often unforseen consequences. Hard cases make bad law- as lawyers sometimes say.

The solution is easy. The old rule, which required a judgment from the referee, was plainly fair and reasonable. Was it intentional? If so- its a free kick. If not, its not. It started going wrong when all sorts of arbitrary guidelines were added about where hands were, distance from the ball etc. These are all factors in exercising the judgment- but when they are laid down and codified you make a hideous mess.

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:27 - Jul 3 with 3063 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Both VAR and this nonsense handball rule should be got rid of as soon as the season ends.

The only rule change that has actually improved football in the past 30 years is the back-pass law.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:37 - Jul 3 with 3055 viewsJakeITFC

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:16 - Jul 3 by sparks

Making fiddly little clauses to deal with individual situation is usually a bad idea- ends up with huge complications and often unforseen consequences. Hard cases make bad law- as lawyers sometimes say.

The solution is easy. The old rule, which required a judgment from the referee, was plainly fair and reasonable. Was it intentional? If so- its a free kick. If not, its not. It started going wrong when all sorts of arbitrary guidelines were added about where hands were, distance from the ball etc. These are all factors in exercising the judgment- but when they are laid down and codified you make a hideous mess.

The change to the rule was fairly sensible in theory (you can't score or make a goal with your hand, deliberate or not) after a couple of high profile incidents, but this going back and analysing frame by frame of the entirety of the move is the bit that VAR has added and therefore ruined.

It's fairly clear to me that both Kane's goal for Tottenham and Mahrez's for City last night are not decisions that improve the quality or fairness of football.
My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:38 - Jul 3 with 3052 viewstractorboy1978

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:27 - Jul 3 by The_Last_Baron

Both VAR and this nonsense handball rule should be got rid of as soon as the season ends.

The only rule change that has actually improved football in the past 30 years is the back-pass law.

The only technology we should have is goal line - that is a matter of fact (as long as it is switched on!).

The offside rule is now equally ridiculous as the new handball one. We've got a game that is being played at a hugely faster pace than it was 20 years ago and this brings greater excitement. But we've now got an offside rule that judges an armpit or a toe being offside by a millimetre.
My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:42 - Jul 3 with 3048 viewssparks

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 12:37 - Jul 3 by JakeITFC

The change to the rule was fairly sensible in theory (you can't score or make a goal with your hand, deliberate or not) after a couple of high profile incidents, but this going back and analysing frame by frame of the entirety of the move is the bit that VAR has added and therefore ruined.

It's fairly clear to me that both Kane's goal for Tottenham and Mahrez's for City last night are not decisions that improve the quality or fairness of football.

The change to the rule was never sensible; not least because it was entirely unecessary save for certain pundits and fans not actually bothering to understand the existing rule (which was painfully simple and readily adaptable and applicable to any situation).

My god- the absurdity of the changes to handball... on 10:43 - Jul 4 with 2938 viewsWickets

Apparently Karen Brady is saying that West Ham have been informed that this goal was ruled out by Video Ref Jon Moss for offside not handball even though the player is laying on the floor makeing no attempt to play the ball . It was i think over 4 minutes stoppage. I think i am going over to the scrap VAR side !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024