Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should VAR be abolished 23:18 - Jul 2 with 1459 viewsRyorry

Should VAR be abolished

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Should VAR be abolished on 12:02 - Jul 3 with 1331 viewsRyorry

Should VAR be abolished on 15:27 - Jul 3 with 1300 viewsRyorry

Surprised that as many as 8 people said no!

Should VAR be abolished on 15:57 - Jul 3 with 1281 viewsKeno

Should VAR be abolished on 15:27 - Jul 3 by Ryorry

Surprised that as many as 8 people said no!

Why?

Video Review works well in other sports and if it was implemented properly in football would be beneficial

Its the implementation I have an issue not the principle of trying to get the right decision

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Should VAR be abolished on 16:03 - Jul 3 with 1277 viewsRyorry

Should VAR be abolished on 15:57 - Jul 3 by Keno

Why?

Video Review works well in other sports and if it was implemented properly in football would be beneficial

Its the implementation I have an issue not the principle of trying to get the right decision

OK, fair point. So is the main problem with our (UK football) VAR referees then?

Should VAR be abolished on 16:16 - Jul 3 with 1272 viewsWeWereZombies

Should VAR be abolished on 16:03 - Jul 3 by Ryorry

OK, fair point. So is the main problem with our (UK football) VAR referees then?

At the moment I would put dubbed on crowd noise way above VAR as a problem, for those of us still bearing with Match of the Day (yeah, I know there are 'no added crowd noise' options on the red button.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Should VAR be abolished on 16:28 - Jul 3 with 1261 viewsRyorry

Should VAR be abolished on 16:16 - Jul 3 by WeWereZombies

At the moment I would put dubbed on crowd noise way above VAR as a problem, for those of us still bearing with Match of the Day (yeah, I know there are 'no added crowd noise' options on the red button.

Isn't VAR supposed to make sure important decisions on the pitch are given correctly (otherwise what's the point of having VAR) and quickly? As it has been, it just seems to pause the game so often & for so long that, e.g., the emotion of being able to enjoy celebrating a goal there and then is gone; & the supposedly correct VAR decisions often seem ridiculous anyway when shown again after the game.

Should VAR be abolished on 17:13 - Jul 3 with 1239 viewsKeno

Should VAR be abolished on 16:03 - Jul 3 by Ryorry

Firstly the final decision Should stay with the referee

He can ask to review something then go to the monitor and review it with the help of theVAR people

If there is a decision var think needs they can tell the ref and he goes to the monitor to view and review as needed

If there isn’t a clear obvious reason to overturn the on field decision the after say 2 mins that decision stands

Should VAR be abolished on 18:55 - Jul 3 with 1216 viewsWeWereZombies

Should VAR be abolished on 16:28 - Jul 3 by Ryorry

Isn't VAR supposed to make sure important decisions on the pitch are given correctly (otherwise what's the point of having VAR) and quickly? As it has been, it just seems to pause the game so often & for so long that, e.g., the emotion of being able to enjoy celebrating a goal there and then is gone; & the supposedly correct VAR decisions often seem ridiculous anyway when shown again after the game.

You are close to moving me off the single undecided vote, if only to remove the yellow next to the green. I still feel the technology could be useful but, as you say, ways need to be found to make an uncontroversial decision far more frequently. And even if they are not then they could at least speed up making the wrong decision.

Login to get fewer ads

Should VAR be abolished on 19:13 - Jul 3 with 1199 viewsRyorry

Should VAR be abolished on 18:55 - Jul 3 by WeWereZombies

You are close to moving me off the single undecided vote, if only to remove the yellow next to the green. I still feel the technology could be useful but, as you say, ways need to be found to make an uncontroversial decision far more frequently. And even if they are not then they could at least speed up making the wrong decision.

At the risk of raising your potential puke quotient even further -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53273121

Should VAR be abolished on 20:28 - Jul 3 with 1162 viewssolemio

I don't think VAT should be abolished.
Should VAR be abolished on 21:20 - Jul 3 with 1142 viewsRyorry

Should VAR be abolished on 12:02 - Jul 3 by Ryorry

Get a life vt

Should VAR be abolished on 12:01 - Jul 4 with 1055 viewsElephantintheRoom

Should VAR be abolished on 15:57 - Jul 3 by Keno

Why?

Do they work well in other sports?

In tennis they do not show what actually happened - just a spurious Hawkeye that could be complete fiction.

In cricket it has more or less destroyed the game and made umpires untenable - and creates the absurdity of limited video appeals which run out

Granted a few 'injustices' are overturned - but they have been part of the sport - hence 'play to the whistle'. TV can preen itself and say 'correct decision' -- but in reality that correct decision has ruined the game.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Should VAR be abolished on 12:04 - Jul 4 with 1046 viewsRadlett_blue

Should VAR be abolished on 17:13 - Jul 3 by Keno

Firstly the final decision Should stay with the referee

He can ask to review something then go to the monitor and review it with the help of theVAR people

If there is a decision var think needs they can tell the ref and he goes to the monitor to view and review as needed

If there isn’t a clear obvious reason to overturn the on field decision the after say 2 mins that decision stands

If it takes 2 minutes, it isn't an obvious howler. Yes, the VAR ref can alert the live ref to something, but if he doesn't want to change his decision within 30 seconds of seeing the relevant replay, the original decision stands.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Should VAR be abolished on 12:07 - Jul 4 with 1037 viewsKeno

Should VAR be abolished on 12:01 - Jul 4 by ElephantintheRoom

Do they work well in other sports?

In tennis they do not show what actually happened - just a spurious Hawkeye that could be complete fiction.

In cricket it has more or less destroyed the game and made umpires untenable - and creates the absurdity of limited video appeals which run out

Granted a few 'injustices' are overturned - but they have been part of the sport - hence 'play to the whistle'. TV can preen itself and say 'correct decision' -- but in reality that correct decision has ruined the game.

They have just about got it right in Rugby

Im not sure how it had destroyed cricket? I few captains need too look at how they have used it

and if you are happy blatant mistakes stand them so be it

Should VAR be abolished on 12:14 - Jul 4 with 1030 viewsRadlett_blue

Should VAR be abolished on 12:07 - Jul 4 by Keno

Im not sure how it had destroyed cricket? I few captains need too look at how they have used it

Goal line technology - which works well 99% of the time, is instant & is purely a matter of fact - has been a benefit to the game, unlike VAR.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Should VAR be abolished on 12:14 - Jul 4 with 1030 viewsbournemouthblue

I can't see how it has 'destroyed' Cricket

That probably depends if you're a batsman or a bowler

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Should VAR be abolished on 12:17 - Jul 4 with 1027 viewsbournemouthblue

Am I right in thinking we have one disallowed which actually went in?

And had a free kick given against us which didn't go in?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Should VAR be abolished on 14:45 - Jul 4 with 994 viewsWeWereZombies

Should VAR be abolished on 12:17 - Jul 4 by bournemouthblue

Am I right in thinking we have one disallowed which actually went in?

And had a free kick given against us which didn't go in?

According to this report we scored our goal from an indirect free kick that didn't receive a touch on its way in and the ref blew the full time whistle mid move as Ian Hutchison stroked the ball towards an open net to deny Chelsea a goal.

https://beyondthelastman.com/2017/09/26/a-bad-day-for-officialdom-at-stamford-br

I am somewhat shamefaced at not recalling these two events as this was my first away game. I certainly recall the goal that never was but the other memories of the match were me going into the Shed end by mistake (and I got an 'Ipswich supporter' comment as I walked up the Kings Road after the match even though I had taken my scarf off fairly early on and stuffed it into my duffle bag); and seeing a teacher who at been at Northgate a year or two earlier amongst the Chelsea support.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024