Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pros and cons of food aid 10:27 - Jul 3 with 514 viewsPendejo

Yesterday was depressing

From the start of lockdown my wife had been galvanized, finding food / supplies for members of her community without access to funds (Latin American, and lots of them).

We have driven all over South London collecting food / supplies and distributing it to the needy. The heavily pregnant woman in Thamesmead the household of 5 adults in Streatham who all found themselves without income at the same time and a rent in excess of £1k per week to fund.

There was the odd pishtaker, like the woman claiming poverty who's husband worked for one of the petrol giants on a comfortable six figure salary. People forget their Facebook posts, or don't seem to realise they can be used to verify circumstances.

For the last month or so, now things are more organised, we've supported a food aid outfit close to Kennington Station, I had posted before about it being disorganised, but that also got sorted. The people sourcing the Food did a bloody good job ensuring no-one was turned away empty handed.

The staple supply they provided was pre-prepared rice and lentils, in individual portion microwaveable containers. These could either be eaten like this or a few ingredients added; onion, garlic, bell peppers, meat etc.

Demand had been pretty steady with 200 plus people dropping in. Last week there were bits and pieces left over, I tried to move some thru here.

Yesterday less than 100 people turned up, and they'd prepared for 250. Hundreds of portions of rice and lentils left over, crates of it. As I said depressing.

My wife thinks her community are fed up with rice and lentils (quoting the bible and the story of manna)... I think that could be true of some, say those now working and are responsible enough to not want to take good away from those in need... If only they'd made us aware.

Given the level of food poverty on this planet I hate seeing good go to waste, and whilst it will be wasted, in my opinion, it is going to be taken to the biomass place down by The Den and converted to electricity.

Today's special? We have a dozen boxes of branded sage and onion stuffing....

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Pros and cons of food aid on 12:46 - Jul 3 with 430 viewsitfc_bucks

Be careful - you'll have the self appointed giving you grief for setting up aid points when you should be looking at the systemic issues causing deprivation.

Or something.

Nah, good on you - keep grinding away. My wife works in education and I've just been made aware of some harrowing stories from during the lockdown. You only need to make a difference to one kid for it all to have been worth it.
Pros and cons of food aid on 14:20 - Jul 3 with 386 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's interesting and well done for helping. Shame you can't shift the excess, it does seem a waste. Presumably the current situation makes it more difficult to move on to other charities/food banks, etc.

Return to work has suddenly taken off apparently. And I suspect more will be back soon as the furlough scheme winds down.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024