Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we really need another keeper? 11:59 - Jul 3 with 1933 viewsBluefish

this whole thing of having 2 number 1 keepers seems to be more of a hindrance. Plenty of clubs just go big on the mumber 1 and get a loanee if needed if the number 1 is injured

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:07 - Jul 3 with 1355 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:13 - Jul 3 with 1343 viewsclive_baker

I agree. I really like Norris, I think he's a tidy keeper despite a couple of clangers last season. I've followed him for a while and a good friend of mine who worked with him previously really thinks the world of him. Holy made a couple of clangers too but by and large did well, you're always going to get that at this level.

The issue is we didn't just have 2 capable keepers, but there was no real pecking order between them. I think i'm right in saying we had Holy first, which made the Norris signing a bit odd, when he was never evidently number 1. We need one #1 keeper who you can sit down, blow a bit of smoke up them, given them the squad number 1 and they can make it their own, with a deputy on the bench either in the early or latter stages of their career IMO.

The formula associated with successful sides is about continuity, consistency and knowing each others game. The most successful sides generally have that, you can pretty much name the Arsenal back 5 from their 'invincible' side, or United sides under Fergie, despite not supporting them. Of course you need depth and cover, but you really do need a defined number 1 in goal. It felt like in trying to keep both players (and Wolves) happy, we compromised all of that.

I'm a ST holder and I still couldn't tell you how Lambert would line us up in a playoff final tomorrow. If you asked 10 people on here you would get 10 different sides, different formations, different defence, even different keepers FFS. And that's after 18 months in charge. It's been a utter shambles.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:16 - Jul 3 with 1324 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Agreed, we have had two disastrous seasons with two 'No1' goalies.

I would just stick with Holy as No1.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:19 - Jul 3 with 1319 viewsPhilTWTD

Need two with some experience in case your main number one gets injured a day after the transfer window closes. Otherwise you'd be stuck with a couple of kids for several months.
Do we really need another keeper? on 12:20 - Jul 3 with 1309 viewsIpswichKnight

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:13 - Jul 3 by clive_baker

I agree. I really like Norris, I think he's a tidy keeper despite a couple of clangers last season. I've followed him for a while and a good friend of mine who worked with him previously really thinks the world of him. Holy made a couple of clangers too but by and large did well, you're always going to get that at this level.

The issue is we didn't just have 2 capable keepers, but there was no real pecking order between them. I think i'm right in saying we had Holy first, which made the Norris signing a bit odd, when he was never evidently number 1. We need one #1 keeper who you can sit down, blow a bit of smoke up them, given them the squad number 1 and they can make it their own, with a deputy on the bench either in the early or latter stages of their career IMO.

The formula associated with successful sides is about continuity, consistency and knowing each others game. The most successful sides generally have that, you can pretty much name the Arsenal back 5 from their 'invincible' side, or United sides under Fergie, despite not supporting them. Of course you need depth and cover, but you really do need a defined number 1 in goal. It felt like in trying to keep both players (and Wolves) happy, we compromised all of that.

I'm a ST holder and I still couldn't tell you how Lambert would line us up in a playoff final tomorrow. If you asked 10 people on here you would get 10 different sides, different formations, different defence, even different keepers FFS. And that's after 18 months in charge. It's been a utter shambles.

Sounded to me after reading the EADT article that the club expected Norris to be number 1 and Holy to be back up then they couldn't get Norris in until Bart left which left Holy to start the season we then went on a run of not letting teams score and made it really hard for Norris to get in the team.

Yeah he made some clangers but there was a good keeper there he was superb at Oxford in probably the worst weather I've ever seen football in he could easily have been done by the wind in that game and wasn't.

It so does feel like a game of Lambingo when a team is announced, as others have said we need to settle on a formation and a spine of a team and not move from that unless injuries or form dictate
Do we really need another keeper? on 12:31 - Jul 3 with 1280 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:19 - Jul 3 by PhilTWTD

Need two with some experience in case your main number one gets injured a day after the transfer window closes. Otherwise you'd be stuck with a couple of kids for several months.

Can you still do emergency loans for keepers?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:32 - Jul 3 with 1275 viewsPhilTWTD

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:31 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Can you still do emergency loans for keepers?

Only in very extreme cases. If we'd got Przybek and Wright we wouldn't I'm sure.
Do we really need another keeper? on 12:33 - Jul 3 with 1257 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:32 - Jul 3 by PhilTWTD

Only in very extreme cases. If we'd got Przybek and Wright we wouldn't I'm sure.

Are either of them any good?

When did we last lose a 'keeper to long term injury?

Login to get fewer ads

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:36 - Jul 3 with 1240 viewsGeoffSentence

If I know anything from playing FM it is that if you have two decent keepers sooner or later one of them will get fwcked off at not playing.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:36 - Jul 3 with 1240 viewsPhilTWTD

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:33 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Are either of them any good?

When did we last lose a 'keeper to long term injury?

Harry Wright missed most of last season due to a knee injury, but at first-team level Gerken missed half of one season having had a hip operation.

I wouldn't expect either to be considered ready to be the regular number two, put it like that. I thought Wright had made a lot of improvement towards the end of 2018/19 but I don't think I saw him at all last season.
Do we really need another keeper? on 12:39 - Jul 3 with 1223 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:36 - Jul 3 by PhilTWTD

Harry Wright missed most of last season due to a knee injury, but at first-team level Gerken missed half of one season having had a hip operation.

I wouldn't expect either to be considered ready to be the regular number two, put it like that. I thought Wright had made a lot of improvement towards the end of 2018/19 but I don't think I saw him at all last season.

But I don't recall us losing a first team keeper for a significant period.

We should have a capable No2, rather than two supposed No1's.

It works for the top clubs, so no reason why it shouldn't work for us.

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:41 - Jul 3 with 1203 viewsPhilTWTD

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:39 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think we definitely need another experienced keeper, whether he is viewed as an equal to the first choice or slightly behind him.
Do we really need another keeper? on 12:43 - Jul 3 with 1191 viewsGeoffSentence

There was the ALB situation, he signed on when Supple left, not long after that Wrighty got injured and we were left with ALB and a youth keeper. The league refused us an emergency loan then. But it turned out OK as ALB was an unexpectedly able deputy for Wrighty.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:44 - Jul 3 with 1175 viewsclive_baker

You definitely need a number 2 who isn't shaking like he needs a number 2 at the prospect of starting away at Oxford. There needs to be a clear pecking order though, a defined #1 and a deputy. That deputy needs to have sufficient experience to play 10 games or so if called upon I would say. The kind of Wright / Branaghan set up was perfect, and a good experienced pro for Plug to learn from. Gerken to Bart. ALB to Fulop. Etc.

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:45 - Jul 3 with 1171 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:43 - Jul 3 by GeoffSentence

There was the ALB situation, he signed on when Supple left, not long after that Wrighty got injured and we were left with ALB and a youth keeper. The league refused us an emergency loan then. But it turned out OK as ALB was an unexpectedly able deputy for Wrighty.

So we are looking at a decade ago... and it worked out ok.

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:46 - Jul 3 with 1166 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:41 - Jul 3 by PhilTWTD

I think we definitely need another experienced keeper, whether he is viewed as an equal to the first choice or slightly behind him.

I agree we need a capable No2.

But the roles need to be defined. The last two seasons we have hamstung ourselves by having two No1's seemingly based on the fear of the unlikely event of a long term injury.

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:46 - Jul 3 with 1161 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:44 - Jul 3 by clive_baker

You definitely need a number 2 who isn't shaking like he needs a number 2 at the prospect of starting away at Oxford. There needs to be a clear pecking order though, a defined #1 and a deputy. That deputy needs to have sufficient experience to play 10 games or so if called upon I would say. The kind of Wright / Branaghan set up was perfect, and a good experienced pro for Plug to learn from. Gerken to Bart. ALB to Fulop. Etc.

Agreed.

Or Clive Baker to Craig Forrest

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:51 - Jul 3 with 1145 viewsPhilTWTD

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:45 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

So we are looking at a decade ago... and it worked out ok.

As I say, we lost Gerken for a lot of 2017/18, he had his operation in the February having struggled for a couple of months prior to that. The situation has changed from then - and when Richard Wright was injured - in that you could sign players on loan outside the windows back then, which you can't now.

McGoldrick Misses Burton, Gerken Out for Season 9th Feb 2018 16:36
Town will again be without striker David McGoldrick when they face Burton Albion at Portman Road on Saturday, while keeper Dean Gerken has been ruled out for the season having undergone hip surgery. 12

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:51 - Jul 3 with 1146 viewsclive_baker

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:46 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed.

Or Clive Baker to Craig Forrest

I mean I didn't want to drop that one, but as you have done it for me...

SIR CLIVE!

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:51 - Jul 3 with 1145 viewsBluefish

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:19 - Jul 3 by PhilTWTD

emergency loan but it also doesn't mean that we need 2 x number 1s. We need 1 x number 1, 1 x number 2 and 1 as emergency cover. Even the likes of man City and Chelsea the 3rd keeper is miles off and the number 2 is 2nd fiddle

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:52 - Jul 3 with 1134 viewsPhilTWTD

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:46 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree we need a capable No2.

But the roles need to be defined. The last two seasons we have hamstung ourselves by having two No1's seemingly based on the fear of the unlikely event of a long term injury.

I think there's also been the element of competition for the place. Not entirely positive if someone thinks they're the number one whatever happens.
Do we really need another keeper? on 12:53 - Jul 3 with 1123 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:51 - Jul 3 by PhilTWTD

As I say, we lost Gerken for a lot of 2017/18, he had his operation in the February having struggled for a couple of months prior to that. The situation has changed from then - and when Richard Wright was injured - in that you could sign players on loan outside the windows back then, which you can't now.

McGoldrick Misses Burton, Gerken Out for Season 9th Feb 2018 16:36
Town will again be without striker David McGoldrick when they face Burton Albion at Portman Road on Saturday, while keeper Dean Gerken has been ruled out for the season having undergone hip surgery. 12

Gerken was our No2 then though. Its been extremely rare that we have lost out first choice keeper to a long term injury.... doesn't seem to have happened much in the past two decades.

I think we are agreed that we need a capable No2, not two 'No1s'.

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:54 - Jul 3 with 1119 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:51 - Jul 3 by clive_baker

I mean I didn't want to drop that one, but as you have done it for me...

SIR CLIVE!

Probably one of the best 5ft10in 'keepers around!!

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:56 - Jul 3 with 1110 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:52 - Jul 3 by PhilTWTD

I think there's also been the element of competition for the place. Not entirely positive if someone thinks they're the number one whatever happens.

On the evidence of the past two seasons, I would argue the opposite in terms of the GK position.

I see the GK position as a different situation to most positions.

The top clubs have a pretty clear hierarchy in general when it comes to their Keepers. Most clubs do.

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:57 - Jul 3 with 1102 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we really need another keeper? on 12:51 - Jul 3 by Bluefish

emergency loan but it also doesn't mean that we need 2 x number 1s. We need 1 x number 1, 1 x number 2 and 1 as emergency cover. Even the likes of man City and Chelsea the 3rd keeper is miles off and the number 2 is 2nd fiddle

Agreed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024