Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brief note from the pub front line 22:34 - Jul 4 with 4851 viewscatch74

Probably not representative of most pubs as we’re a definite destination. In the middle of nowhere, big garden.
Think sales in top ten days since lfirst opening seven years ago.
We were very thorough at distancing, because we have the space to, we wouldn’t have opened otherwise.
Much more labour intensive doing full on table service throughout. A staff member in tears due to some very demanding, finger clicking tables but mostly a success.
People have missed a pint, we’d normally be 65% food on a Saturday, was about 45%.
I’m relieved, wondering how busy it’ll be next week with better weather. I also know we need to get decent sales in before the winter and everyone inside.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Brief note from the pub front line on 12:51 - Jul 5 with 1086 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brief note from the pub front line on 09:26 - Jul 5 by ElderGrizzly

I think there is going to be a very stark difference to how this plays out in countryside pubs vs city establishments.

Look at Soho last night. Thousands armpit to armpit drinking and not giving one toss about social distancing. And pubs won’t care either as they have sold their drink and the problem moved onto the street.

Whereas village pubs, reliant on food, will abide by restrictions and struggle as a result

Probably find that the age difference comes into play. An older more responsible crowd in the country pubs compared to the city?

There does seem to be an "I'm young so I won't die" attitude from a large section of the younger population.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Brief note from the pub front line on 12:57 - Jul 5 with 1060 viewsITFC_Forever

Brief note from the pub front line on 12:16 - Jul 5 by ronnyd

Is it still a "Vintage Inn" chain pub?

Yes, but couldn’t fault it last night.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Brief note from the pub front line on 13:03 - Jul 5 with 1059 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 12:51 - Jul 5 by GlasgowBlue

Probably find that the age difference comes into play. An older more responsible crowd in the country pubs compared to the city?

There does seem to be an "I'm young so I won't die" attitude from a large section of the younger population.

Maybe, but I’ve witnessed plenty of belligerence and idiocy from those aged 50+
Brief note from the pub front line on 13:05 - Jul 5 with 1047 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:01 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

Yes I down voted because of the term you used bye

How do you feel about the nickname”the tractor boys”
Brief note from the pub front line on 13:10 - Jul 5 with 1037 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:14 - Jul 4 by ElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in London...

F*cking arseholes.
Brief note from the pub front line on 13:39 - Jul 5 with 1014 viewsellerblue

Brief note from the pub front line on 13:05 - Jul 5 by Libero

It doesn't worry or upset me if people want to use that as a nickname the same as Northampton are nicknamed the cobblers etc, probably used to the counties association with agriculture in my eyes it will always be Town or the blues.

Heinsberg Blue

Brief note from the pub front line on 13:59 - Jul 5 with 987 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 13:39 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

It doesn't worry or upset me if people want to use that as a nickname the same as Northampton are nicknamed the cobblers etc, probably used to the counties association with agriculture in my eyes it will always be Town or the blues.

I see, just found it curious that you considered the term yokel so offensive, where do we stand on bumpkin?
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 13:59]
Brief note from the pub front line on 14:12 - Jul 5 with 971 viewsellerblue

Brief note from the pub front line on 13:59 - Jul 5 by Libero

I see, just found it curious that you considered the term yokel so offensive, where do we stand on bumpkin?
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 13:59]

I find them both offensive as both are used as stereotyping of country people

Heinsberg Blue

Login to get fewer ads

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:17 - Jul 5 with 963 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:12 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

I find them both offensive as both are used as stereotyping of country people

It’s an interesting point, I’d not really considered it as offensive before but I guess I can see how if used in a derogatory context it would be at least a bit rude.
Brief note from the pub front line on 14:26 - Jul 5 with 943 viewsellerblue

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:17 - Jul 5 by Libero

It’s an interesting point, I’d not really considered it as offensive before but I guess I can see how if used in a derogatory context it would be at least a bit rude.

If you look up yokel in Collins dictionary and the cambridge dictionary you might see why it would be offensive to someone like myself who was born and bred in the Suffolk countryside

Heinsberg Blue

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:29 - Jul 5 with 933 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:26 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

If you look up yokel in Collins dictionary and the cambridge dictionary you might see why it would be offensive to someone like myself who was born and bred in the Suffolk countryside

Yes, I’m also born and bred in Suffolk, understand the meaning of the word but was just surprised anyone took it that seriously.
Do you feel you’ve suffered discrimination as a result? From my own experience I’ve never had any kind of negative reaction when working in other parts of the country or abroad, I think you’ve raised an interesting point though, food for thought.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 14:29]
Brief note from the pub front line on 14:48 - Jul 5 with 920 viewsellerblue

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:29 - Jul 5 by Libero

Yes, I’m also born and bred in Suffolk, understand the meaning of the word but was just surprised anyone took it that seriously.
Do you feel you’ve suffered discrimination as a result? From my own experience I’ve never had any kind of negative reaction when working in other parts of the country or abroad, I think you’ve raised an interesting point though, food for thought.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 14:29]

Myself I have during my 70 years of life when asked where the accent comes from and reply Suffolk had the reply oh a yokel, I do find it offensive that it portrays suffolk people as leaning on a five bar gate, piece of straw in the mouth and being thick and i do find it insulting when it is posted that he drove into the village and spoke to a yokel and then when I challenged the use of the word he replies it is a friend , if ever one of my friends referred to me as a yokel he would be finding a new friend . Rant over I am a Suffolk boy and proud .

Heinsberg Blue

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:54 - Jul 5 with 903 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:48 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

Myself I have during my 70 years of life when asked where the accent comes from and reply Suffolk had the reply oh a yokel, I do find it offensive that it portrays suffolk people as leaning on a five bar gate, piece of straw in the mouth and being thick and i do find it insulting when it is posted that he drove into the village and spoke to a yokel and then when I challenged the use of the word he replies it is a friend , if ever one of my friends referred to me as a yokel he would be finding a new friend . Rant over I am a Suffolk boy and proud .

As I say, you make an interesting point, although I can understand the defence.
I often call my friends c*nts as a term of endearment, clearly that would cause a lot of offence to some, that being said I’m obviously picky about how, when and where I use this term of endearment in order to avoid upset.

Consider my mind opened somewhat, sincerely had never even considered it could be offensive, just saw it as a silly stereotype that made reference to the historically relatively poor standard of education in the area due to many people (my maternal side too) working on farms.

Suffolk and proud, buh!
Brief note from the pub front line on 17:34 - Jul 5 with 829 viewsjeera

Brief note from the pub front line on 14:48 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

"Challenged."

Had a whine over nothing you mean.

I say 'buh' deliberately sometimes but that's not how I'd naturally talk. I've lived in Suffolk pretty much my whole life.

Fuss over nothing and context is everything. Challenged indeed.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Brief note from the pub front line on 19:37 - Jul 5 with 772 viewsBlueBadger

Brief note from the pub front line on 13:03 - Jul 5 by Libero

Maybe, but I’ve witnessed plenty of belligerence and idiocy from those aged 50+

If there's one thing I've learnt this year it's that stupidity has no age barriers. The presentations are different, but the root cause is the same.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brief note from the pub front line on 20:08 - Jul 5 with 733 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 19:37 - Jul 5 by BlueBadger

If there's one thing I've learnt this year it's that stupidity has no age barriers. The presentations are different, but the root cause is the same.

Equality.
https://imgur.com/r/gif/ALkcB2K
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 20:15]
Brief note from the pub front line on 20:39 - Jul 5 with 709 viewsITFC_Forever

Brief note from the pub front line on 13:05 - Jul 5 by Libero

Tinpot.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Brief note from the pub front line on 20:58 - Jul 5 with 680 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 20:39 - Jul 5 by ITFC_Forever

Tinpot.

No, you’re thinking of the Canaries, easy mistake.
Brief note from the pub front line on 21:30 - Jul 5 with 655 viewsjeera

Brief note from the pub front line on 20:58 - Jul 5 by Libero

No, you’re thinking of the Canaries, easy mistake.

I must say I've never been a fan.

Wasn't it Tommy Miller who once said he and a few other players didn't like it as it made them feel like Gummidge type characters with straw in their mouths?

Thank god no one calls us The Yokels.

Imagine the fuss.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Brief note from the pub front line on 21:41 - Jul 5 with 644 viewsLibero

Brief note from the pub front line on 21:30 - Jul 5 by jeera

Wasn't it Tommy Miller who once said he and a few other players didn't like it as it made them feel like Gummidge type characters with straw in their mouths?

Imagine the fuss.

Not sure, I know Jim got a bit precious about it.
Brief note from the pub front line on 22:11 - Jul 5 with 627 viewstextbackup

Brief note from the pub front line on 21:30 - Jul 5 by jeera

Imagine the fuss.

i think Norwich's play on words by then calling us "the tw@tor boys" is actually better than the original tractor boys.

go to work, meet new people, holidays...... "whos your team mate?" - "Ipswich" - "wheeeey the tractor boys yeah, great in the 70's"

sht nickname

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:19 - Jul 5 with 622 viewsSpruceMoose

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:11 - Jul 5 by textbackup

i think Norwich's play on words by then calling us "the tw@tor boys" is actually better than the original tractor boys.

go to work, meet new people, holidays...... "whos your team mate?" - "Ipswich" - "wheeeey the tractor boys yeah, great in the 70's"

sht nickname

Honestly Texters, do you care that much? It's all a bit high school isn't it?

If someone who I had just met said any of that to me then I'd just give them the old eye roll, think that they were one of those sad plums who take football far too seriously and get the fook away from them ASAP.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 22:26]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:31 - Jul 5 with 599 viewstextbackup

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:19 - Jul 5 by SpruceMoose

Honestly Texters, do you care that much? It's all a bit high school isn't it?

If someone who I had just met said any of that to me then I'd just give them the old eye roll, think that they were one of those sad plums who take football far too seriously and get the fook away from them ASAP.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 22:26]

I didn't say I reacted in any way did I? just said that's the line I've heard a few times.

and I think the nickname is sht, which I what was being discussed above.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:35 - Jul 5 with 592 viewsSpruceMoose

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:31 - Jul 5 by textbackup

I didn't say I reacted in any way did I? just said that's the line I've heard a few times.

and I think the nickname is sht, which I what was being discussed above.

I mean... meh. As a nickname I don't use it, I don't respond to it, I'm not arsed about it and I certainly wouldn't be giving Norwich fans credit for adapting it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:17 - Jul 6 with 497 viewsWeWereZombies

On the umpteenth time of reading the thread header may I just say that 'brief note from the pub' sounds like the worst ever excuse for not handing homework in on time.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024