Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brief note from the pub front line 22:34 - Jul 4 with 4857 viewscatch74

Probably not representative of most pubs as we’re a definite destination. In the middle of nowhere, big garden.
Think sales in top ten days since lfirst opening seven years ago.
We were very thorough at distancing, because we have the space to, we wouldn’t have opened otherwise.
Much more labour intensive doing full on table service throughout. A staff member in tears due to some very demanding, finger clicking tables but mostly a success.
People have missed a pint, we’d normally be 65% food on a Saturday, was about 45%.
I’m relieved, wondering how busy it’ll be next week with better weather. I also know we need to get decent sales in before the winter and everyone inside.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:41 - Jul 4 with 3320 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Glad to hear you got good trade and have been sensible. Hope your staff member is OK. Been a difficult time and most people have had a lot going on without the added stress of work being extra busy. Hopefully just a moment getting on top of them and all will be fine. I am sure you are used to dealing with some customers that get a bit rude after having a few.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:44 - Jul 4 with 3306 viewscatch74

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:41 - Jul 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Glad to hear you got good trade and have been sensible. Hope your staff member is OK. Been a difficult time and most people have had a lot going on without the added stress of work being extra busy. Hopefully just a moment getting on top of them and all will be fine. I am sure you are used to dealing with some customers that get a bit rude after having a few.

Thanks nsb.
It’s definitely part of the job with customers after a few, I really don’t miss my high st days though - that was a different ball park.

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:47 - Jul 4 with 3299 viewsfactual_blue

Hope it all goes well.

From family who've been in the trade since the '60s, I know it's a demanding way of life at the best of times, and the current difficulties could cull a colossal number of pubs,

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:14 - Jul 4 with 3231 viewsElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in London...

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:24 - Jul 4 with 3186 viewscatch74

Brief note from the pub front line on 22:47 - Jul 4 by factual_blue

Hope it all goes well.

From family who've been in the trade since the '60s, I know it's a demanding way of life at the best of times, and the current difficulties could cull a colossal number of pubs,

Thanks Facters. Fingers crossed it’s more of the Franky and Bennys than the traditional pubs that go.

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:25 - Jul 4 with 3180 viewscatch74

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:14 - Jul 4 by ElderGrizzly

Meanwhile in London...

Ffs

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:31 - Jul 4 with 3174 viewsTIB

Glad to hear the reopening has been ok Catch, long may it continue. I’m hoping to be back out delivering cask in the next few weeks.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:38 - Jul 4 with 3141 viewscatch74

Brief note from the pub front line on 23:31 - Jul 4 by TIB

Glad to hear the reopening has been ok Catch, long may it continue. I’m hoping to be back out delivering cask in the next few weeks.

Good luck TIB - I’ll have to get something down to Surrey sometime from you.
Be handy if we could draw Aldershot in the cup, get a load of your beer on and a pretty-game meet up.

Login to get fewer ads

Brief note from the pub front line on 00:04 - Jul 5 with 3104 viewsjeera

Glad it went ok for you today.

As you say, you're in a privileged position with all that space and it would be mad to not utilise it the way you have.

I drove into the village this evening just to be nosy and spoke to a yokel I know who had now long left one of the main pubs here and he said that sadly it had been quiet. That's a real shame because I know they had things properly planned out and a long garden to boot.

I wonder if a lot of people were of the mind it would be busy so kept away.

Sorry to hear you get c***ish behaviour in your place too! I hate some people and think if someone were to behave like that way towards me they'd be unlikely to get served.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Brief note from the pub front line on 00:10 - Jul 5 with 3086 viewscatch74

Brief note from the pub front line on 00:04 - Jul 5 by jeera

As you say, you're in a privileged position with all that space and it would be mad to not utilise it the way you have.

I drove into the village this evening just to be nosy and spoke to a yokel I know who had now long left one of the main pubs here and he said that sadly it had been quiet. That's a real shame because I know they had things properly planned out and a long garden to boot.

Sorry to hear you get c***ish behaviour in your place too! I hate some people and think if someone were to behave like that way towards me they'd be unlikely to get served.

Cheers Jeera - hope your local pub picks up, especially as they’ve made an effort.

Brief note from the pub front line on 00:23 - Jul 5 with 3089 viewsfactual_blue

Classic line from my late Uncle Factual (himself a publican) when in a pub near Highbury before the 1978 semi-final.

UF: 'do you get a lot of drunks in here?'
Barman/landlord: 'No, not really.'
UF: 'Not surprising, seeing how bleeding* long you take to serve people'.

^this may not have been the actual word used.

Brief note from the pub front line on 00:35 - Jul 5 with 3034 viewsjeera

Meanwhile in London...

People are trash.

Brief note from the pub front line on 00:59 - Jul 5 with 3003 viewsBLUEBEAT

[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 8:59]

Poll: W or W

Brief note from the pub front line on 01:00 - Jul 5 with 3001 viewsBLUEBEAT

Was working in Southend earlier and witnessed a massive fight (20+ people) all very drunk and slightly comedic. Police weren’t dealing with it lightly, either.

Pub was the Last Post, which happens to be a Wetherspoons

Poll: W or W

Brief note from the pub front line on 06:27 - Jul 5 with 2793 viewsellerblue

sorry due you mean local, if not what do you mean by the term yokel?

Heinsberg Blue

Brief note from the pub front line on 06:34 - Jul 5 with 2779 viewsjeera

Brief note from the pub front line on 06:27 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

sorry due you mean local, if not what do you mean by the term yokel?

A mate of mine [I hope].

And he's not even a yokel, he is more as you rightly say, a local. And an intelligent man.

It's just more fun to use disparaging remarks sometimes when describing your friends.

Nothing truly derogatory intended by it.

Edit: you actually down-voted that? Good grief. It must be fun where you come from.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 6:37]

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:01 - Jul 5 with 2662 viewsellerblue

Brief note from the pub front line on 06:34 - Jul 5 by jeera

A mate of mine [I hope].

And he's not even a yokel, he is more as you rightly say, a local. And an intelligent man.

It's just more fun to use disparaging remarks sometimes when describing your friends.

Nothing truly derogatory intended by it.

Edit: you actually down-voted that? Good grief. It must be fun where you come from.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 6:37]

Yes I down voted because of the term you used bye

Heinsberg Blue

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:06 - Jul 5 with 2634 viewsjeera

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:01 - Jul 5 by ellerblue

Yes I down voted because of the term you used bye

A 'term' I used to relate to a mate of mine.

Yeah right, bye.

Clearly you have nothing better to do over in fun land.

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:22 - Jul 5 with 2576 viewsITFC_Forever

We went to The Beagle last night for a meal and it was fine.

Not very busy (although they’ve got a lot of bookings today for a Sunday roast).

Tables were well spread out (or had out of use signs on them), waitresses were efficient and friendly... a pleasure to go to.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:34 - Jul 5 with 2521 viewshype313

Good luck to you, hopefully in your capacity you can get back up to speed very soon.

However, I stopped off at the Plough and Sail in Snape yesterday lunchtime and I counted 8 people in there, and 2 additions whilst I drank my pint. I just can't see how Pubs/Restaurants will be able to survive with these Covid restrictions in place.

Also, the whole idea of going out for a pint or meal is to have a relaxing enjoyable time, signs everywhere, anti bac stations every two metres, staff (rightly so) wearing masks, I'm sorry but if this is what it will be like for the foreseeable then I'm just not going to bother.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Brief note from the pub front line on 09:25 - Jul 5 with 2395 viewscatch74

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:34 - Jul 5 by hype313

Good luck to you, hopefully in your capacity you can get back up to speed very soon.

However, I stopped off at the Plough and Sail in Snape yesterday lunchtime and I counted 8 people in there, and 2 additions whilst I drank my pint. I just can't see how Pubs/Restaurants will be able to survive with these Covid restrictions in place.

Also, the whole idea of going out for a pint or meal is to have a relaxing enjoyable time, signs everywhere, anti bac stations every two metres, staff (rightly so) wearing masks, I'm sorry but if this is what it will be like for the foreseeable then I'm just not going to bother.

Thanks Hype, it is a shame with everything the pubs have to do, it’s definitely not the same. I am wondering if plenty of people will have similar feelings to you and yesterday was as busy as it will be for a while.
Were there many people at the Maltings in general? - one of my first jobs was helping look after the grounds plus help build sets etc for concerts, lunch usually at the Plough and Sail - it’s been extended a bit since then, so slightly more room for them to help distancing.

Brief note from the pub front line on 09:26 - Jul 5 with 2393 viewsElderGrizzly

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:34 - Jul 5 by hype313

I think there is going to be a very stark difference to how this plays out in countryside pubs vs city establishments.

Look at Soho last night. Thousands armpit to armpit drinking and not giving one toss about social distancing. And pubs won’t care either as they have sold their drink and the problem moved onto the street.

Whereas village pubs, reliant on food, will abide by restrictions and struggle as a result
Brief note from the pub front line on 09:47 - Jul 5 with 2325 viewsAce_High1

Brief note from the pub front line on 08:22 - Jul 5 by ITFC_Forever

We went to The Beagle last night for a meal and it was fine.

Not very busy (although they’ve got a lot of bookings today for a Sunday roast).

Tables were well spread out (or had out of use signs on them), waitresses were efficient and friendly... a pleasure to go to.

Now there is a place that used to be good 10 years ago.

However it changed owners so many times and over the last 5 years on the odd occasion I have gone, the food and service has been terrible. Please say it has gone back to how it used to be in the glory days?
Brief note from the pub front line on 12:03 - Jul 5 with 2166 viewsfactual_blue

Meanwhile in London...

The Omegas in action.

Brief note from the pub front line on 12:16 - Jul 5 with 2138 viewsronnyd

Brief note from the pub front line on 09:47 - Jul 5 by Ace_High1

Now there is a place that used to be good 10 years ago.

However it changed owners so many times and over the last 5 years on the odd occasion I have gone, the food and service has been terrible. Please say it has gone back to how it used to be in the glory days?

Is it still a "Vintage Inn" chain pub?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024