Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here 11:22 - Jul 5 with 1567 viewsSteve_M

Short and informative.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/05/risks-r-numbers-and-raw-data-how-t

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 11:44 - Jul 5 with 1478 viewsLibero

Very decent article that a few on here could do with reading very slowly and carefully.
Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:10 - Jul 5 with 1454 viewsOldsmoker

So the BBC, Newspapers and government spokespersons have all said things that are misleading.
Nothing in that article reassures me that we have defeated Covid19, so I will continue to restrict going out to a minimum and when I do I will adhere to social distancing and wear a face mask. I'll also continue to wash my hands until there's no skin left.
I am slowly building up a hoard of groceries that I ran out of during lockdown and missed not having.
I am not ruling out another lockdown of some sort before the end of the year.
I want to live long enough to know that the football really is better, and that might be a very long time into the future.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:17 - Jul 5 with 1416 viewsPinewoodblue

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:10 - Jul 5 by Oldsmoker

So the BBC, Newspapers and government spokespersons have all said things that are misleading.
Nothing in that article reassures me that we have defeated Covid19, so I will continue to restrict going out to a minimum and when I do I will adhere to social distancing and wear a face mask. I'll also continue to wash my hands until there's no skin left.
I am slowly building up a hoard of groceries that I ran out of during lockdown and missed not having.
I want to live long enough to know that the football really is better, and that might be a very long time into the future.

Don’t think anyone claims COVID-19 has been defeated. It won’t be defeated until we have a vaccine, or it mutates into something less harmful.

All we have done is suppress the risk by imposing restrictions on what we do. Presumably as we ease restrictions the chances are the numbers infected will begin to rise again.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:50 - Jul 5 with 1379 viewsWeWereZombies

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:17 - Jul 5 by Pinewoodblue

Don’t think anyone claims COVID-19 has been defeated. It won’t be defeated until we have a vaccine, or it mutates into something less harmful.

All we have done is suppress the risk by imposing restrictions on what we do. Presumably as we ease restrictions the chances are the numbers infected will begin to rise again.

But what if Covid-19 is always here, even after a vaccine is developed and widely available:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/27/coronavirus-endemic/

Articles like this and the one in the thread I started on Japan earlier today have me wondering how wise it is for The Guardian to adopt an attitude of authority when every Health Authority around the World is still feeling its way into a new situation, and national leaders are lagging behind those authorities in implementing sensible actions. It may be that analysis of the pandemic is faulty and the statisticians do not know what they are counting; or why they are counting it.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:52 - Jul 5 with 1365 viewsNthQldITFC

You are a wise old smoker. Days like this I really fancy a fag again.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 12:56]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:54 - Jul 5 with 1363 viewsLibero

This, with ruddy bloody bells on.
Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 13:42 - Jul 5 with 1335 viewsBlueBadger

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 11:44 - Jul 5 by Libero

Very decent article that a few on here could do with reading very slowly and carefully.

In all fairness, 'reading slowly' is default setting for a few on here.

To the point that they'd be rendered illiterate if you cut off their index fingers.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 14:17 - Jul 5 with 1302 viewsRyorry

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:50 - Jul 5 by WeWereZombies

But what if Covid-19 is always here, even after a vaccine is developed and widely available:

Articles like this and the one in the thread I started on Japan earlier today have me wondering how wise it is for The Guardian to adopt an attitude of authority when every Health Authority around the World is still feeling its way into a new situation, and national leaders are lagging behind those authorities in implementing sensible actions. It may be that analysis of the pandemic is faulty and the statisticians do not know what they are counting; or why they are counting it.

Was born an innate optimist, but have pessimistically thought this since the outbreak of Covid19, given that we haven't yet even been able to develop a fully effective flu' vaccine.

Maybe a more or less fully effective treatment will arrive sooner? 🤔

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 14:29 - Jul 5 with 1290 viewsvilanovablue

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 14:17 - Jul 5 by Ryorry

Was born an innate optimist, but have pessimistically thought this since the outbreak of Covid19, given that we haven't yet even been able to develop a fully effective flu' vaccine.

Maybe a more or less fully effective treatment will arrive sooner? 🤔

Anyone genuinely expecting a vaccine is likely to be disappointed. The track record for producing coronavirus vaccines is littered with failures.
Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 15:08 - Jul 5 with 1237 viewsmatteoblue

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 14:29 - Jul 5 by vilanovablue

Anyone genuinely expecting a vaccine is likely to be disappointed. The track record for producing coronavirus vaccines is littered with failures.

Indeed, no vaccines have ever been found for human coronaviruses, since their discovery in the 1960s. The fastest vaccine ever found I think was for mumps which took 4 years.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 16:04 - Jul 5 with 1178 viewsvilanovablue

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 15:08 - Jul 5 by matteoblue

Indeed, no vaccines have ever been found for human coronaviruses, since their discovery in the 1960s. The fastest vaccine ever found I think was for mumps which took 4 years.

Didn't realise it was never but I'm not surprised. Thanks for that.
Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 22:16 - Jul 5 with 1038 viewsMeadowlark

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 12:50 - Jul 5 by WeWereZombies

We're they adopting an attitude of authority? I just thought they were explaining what the various terms mean.
Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 08:01 - Jul 6 with 945 viewsSteve_M

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 22:16 - Jul 5 by Meadowlark

We're they adopting an attitude of authority? I just thought they were explaining what the various terms mean.

Well, quite. That's why I posted it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 08:12 - Jul 6 with 937 viewsWeWereZombies

Piece on how to interpret Covid numbers here on 22:16 - Jul 5 by Meadowlark

Fair enough, I went a bit Brazil1982 there, didn't I? I was seeking to emphasise that you can make all sorts of prognostications from numbers but if your original premises are mistaken then all you do is parade mistaken prognostications and set misleading agendas. Actually, that sounds worse than adopting an attitude of authority, I'm heading for Blue_Oyster territory now...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024