Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nolan.... 14:50 - Jul 6 with 4242 viewsitfcjoe

Always seems Lambert is a big fan, and tries to get him in the team as soon as he can, and we spent a 7 figure fee on him.

Can see why we've taken the extra year, but not sure he's earned it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nolan.... on 14:56 - Jul 6 with 2353 viewsHerbivore

He's not really done it here at all. It's frustrating as I think there is a player in there but it's just not worked out for him and after 2 years I'm not sure it will.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 14:56]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nolan.... on 14:59 - Jul 6 with 2337 viewsJakeITFC

He’s a player who goes missing or doesn’t take risks in a position that we absolutely need a player to be decisive in.

From a financial perspective probably a sensible decision but I think he is very ordinary.
Nolan.... on 14:59 - Jul 6 with 2343 viewsPhilTWTD

Nolan.... on 14:56 - Jul 6 by Herbivore

He's not really done it here at all. It's frustrating as I think there is a player in there but it's just not worked out for him and after 2 years I'm not sure it will.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 14:56]

To be fair to him, he missed all of pre-season last year and never really got up and running thereafter, think he had the odd niggle here and there. Perhaps a decent enough pre-season this time around might help him get back to his Shrewsbury level.
Nolan.... on 15:02 - Jul 6 with 2317 viewsPJH

Nolan.... on 14:59 - Jul 6 by JakeITFC

He’s a player who goes missing or doesn’t take risks in a position that we absolutely need a player to be decisive in.

From a financial perspective probably a sensible decision but I think he is very ordinary.

Mostly agree with that although I am not yet convinced that he looks good enough to call very ordinary.

He was, supposedly, one of the top players in the third division when Hurst signed him-if he was he has gone backwards(just like his passing).
Nolan.... on 15:03 - Jul 6 with 2311 viewsSomethingBlue

When he is confident he does look good and I think he has a natural instinct for getting into "areas" that remains pretty rare and useful in a modern midfielder. It's just that too many times he seems inhibited and offers next to nothing. I can see why he's a player we think we can still get a tune out of. I also applaud getting these contracts sorted out, as we are doing, because if/when next season ever starts we are in a position of much greater stability than most in this division and need to make the most of it. It's possibly the last year where we'll have any kind of big advantage.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Nolan.... on 15:06 - Jul 6 with 2282 viewsSteve_M

Very much this, there is some value there that we want to protect. Nolan clearly has ability, just doesn't do enough with it, that looks a question of belief and confidence.

The money Hurst paid to Shrewsbury for Nolan and Nsiala must represent one of the worst (incoming) transfers in ITFC history. Right up there with some of Keane's for the utter lack of value for money.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nolan.... on 15:06 - Jul 6 with 2280 viewsIpswichKnight

At times in our relegation season you could see we had a player there, the goal against Derby being an example of a midfielder making a run towards the box, last season for what ever reason he just didn't look even close to that. Hopefully it is as Phil said that he missed pre-season and could never get fully fit from there.
Nolan.... on 15:07 - Jul 6 with 2275 viewsclive_baker

Its not a popular opinion but I quite like him. He was great for Shrewsbury at this level and I was excited when we signed him, but its never quite happened. He's busy, energetic, and I like that he has a bit of urgency on the ball and looks to move it on quickly. He ticks us over nicely and I think could offer a goal threat too. As much as I like Huws on paper, in reality he was so pedestrian last season and personified everything that was wrong with us, which was by no means solely Huws fault. We were so pedestrian, lethargic. I want to see energy people.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 15:12]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Nolan.... on 15:12 - Jul 6 with 2242 viewsHerbivore

Nolan.... on 14:59 - Jul 6 by PhilTWTD

To be fair to him, he missed all of pre-season last year and never really got up and running thereafter, think he had the odd niggle here and there. Perhaps a decent enough pre-season this time around might help him get back to his Shrewsbury level.

I hope so. There was a dynamism about his play there that we just haven't seen here. I wonder if the issue is in his head more than anything. He got a big move after an excellent season and it feels like perhaps it's all been too much for him. Some players make that step up and shine but others it's a step too far.

Nolan.... on 15:14 - Jul 6 with 2227 viewsHerbivore

Nolan.... on 15:06 - Jul 6 by Steve_M

Very much this, there is some value there that we want to protect. Nolan clearly has ability, just doesn't do enough with it, that looks a question of belief and confidence.

The money Hurst paid to Shrewsbury for Nolan and Nsiala must represent one of the worst (incoming) transfers in ITFC history. Right up there with some of Keane's for the utter lack of value for money.

Paul Taylor-esque.

Nolan.... on 15:21 - Jul 6 with 2199 viewsAce_High1

The definition of a player which the game passes by.

A bit like Ross Barkley - doesn't score goals, doesn't break up the play, doesn't assist - just offers nothing other than run around a little in the middle of the park.
Nolan.... on 15:25 - Jul 6 with 2184 viewstractorboy1978

I'd much rather see El Mizouni/Dobra in there playing that role. I thought Huws, Judge and Nolan were generally really poor last season and they let us down as experienced pros.
Nolan.... on 15:32 - Jul 6 with 2154 viewsDubtractor

"The money Hurst paid to Shrewsbury for Nolan and Nsiala must represent one of the worst (incoming) transfers in ITFC history. Right up there with some of Keane's for the utter lack of value for money."

Made this point a few times and 100% agree. Especially when considering our spending power at the time.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 15:44]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Nolan.... on 15:40 - Jul 6 with 2102 viewsSteve_M

Nolan.... on 15:14 - Jul 6 by Herbivore

Paul Taylor-esque.

Nah, I think there's a player in Nolan somewhere whereas Taylor was just head down running with the ball and shoot when he got the chance. And PT was a cu.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nolan.... on 15:45 - Jul 6 with 2085 viewsITFC_Forever

He always seems to me to be playing within himself, and has a lot more to give.

I'm not suggesting he's lazy and not trying, more that he is low on confidence and belief, and as a result isn't prepared to make the quick incisive decisions and thrive on the cut and thrust of being the dynamic box-to-box player he was at Shrewsbury.
He therefore hesitates, can't find his pass forwards and ends up playing it safe all the time.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think there is a player in there, but we haven't seen anywhere near the best of him.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Nolan.... on 15:46 - Jul 6 with 2078 viewsclive_baker

However you cut that £2m across the 2, it certainly feels like a lot of money in hindsight given what both have subsequently contributed, and whatever we paid for Donacien was 100% too much.

£1.6m on Jackson remains questionable, although he's been about the best of a bad bunch I would say.

Nolan.... on 15:49 - Jul 6 with 2058 viewssparks

Nolan.... on 15:03 - Jul 6 by SomethingBlue

When he is confident he does look good and I think he has a natural instinct for getting into "areas" that remains pretty rare and useful in a modern midfielder. It's just that too many times he seems inhibited and offers next to nothing. I can see why he's a player we think we can still get a tune out of. I also applaud getting these contracts sorted out, as we are doing, because if/when next season ever starts we are in a position of much greater stability than most in this division and need to make the most of it. It's possibly the last year where we'll have any kind of big advantage.

I agree he gets into areas. He routinely works himself back out of them when he receives the ball there though...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Nolan.... on 15:55 - Jul 6 with 2017 viewstractorboy1978

Nolan.... on 15:46 - Jul 6 by clive_baker

However you cut that £2m across the 2, it certainly feels like a lot of money in hindsight given what both have subsequently contributed, and whatever we paid for Donacien was 100% too much.

£1.6m on Jackson remains questionable, although he's been about the best of a bad bunch I would say.

The amount of money that has been wasted under ME is incredible. Even before last season, if you were to list all of the buys above £1m, how many of those were a success? McAuley was probably the best. Norris second, but did nowhere near enough to warrant a £2m fee.

McAuley
Norris
Civelli
Priskin
Edwards
Leadbitter
Martin
Scotland
Chopra
JET
Taylor
Nolan.... on 15:57 - Jul 6 with 1996 viewsgordon

Nolan.... on 15:32 - Jul 6 by Dubtractor

"The money Hurst paid to Shrewsbury for Nolan and Nsiala must represent one of the worst (incoming) transfers in ITFC history. Right up there with some of Keane's for the utter lack of value for money."

Made this point a few times and 100% agree. Especially when considering our spending power at the time.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 15:44]

Yeah - Nolan, Donacien and Nsiala were on par with the type of player that we used to pick up for free like Horlock, Gleeson, Santos, Diallo, Best, Bru, Tabb etc. etc. when we had more astute managers.
Nolan.... on 15:57 - Jul 6 with 1995 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

He's a squad player, that is all. Need better than Nolan to get you out of this league though.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Nolan.... on 16:06 - Jul 6 with 1968 viewsIllinoisblue

If he and Judge can up their game considerably it will be - cliche klaxon rings - like having two new players. Let’s be honest they were both s5it last season.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Nolan.... on 16:10 - Jul 6 with 1952 viewsITFC_Forever

Nolan.... on 15:46 - Jul 6 by clive_baker

That'll be the Kayden Jackson who was joint-top scorer and top of the assists for us last season?

He's not perfect, but given the level we are currently at, he's one of the better players we'd be likely to get.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Nolan.... on 16:32 - Jul 6 with 1862 viewsclive_baker

Nolan.... on 16:10 - Jul 6 by ITFC_Forever

That'll be the Kayden Jackson who was joint-top scorer and top of the assists for us last season?

He's not perfect, but given the level we are currently at, he's one of the better players we'd be likely to get.

Yes, that'll be the one. We didn't buy him at our current level so I'm not sure our pulling power today is relevant, we bought him off the back of a pretty comfortable season in the Championship. I'm not disputing that he's OK relative to our current crock of sh1t, but if you look through the top scorers in L1 you'll be hard pushed to find worse value that £1.6m for an 11 goal return.

Nolan.... on 16:33 - Jul 6 with 1859 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is Nolan the only one guilty of these flaws?

I get the feeling it is a tactical decision whenever I have watched us. Too much safe possession and not enough attacking risks taken.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Nolan.... on 16:39 - Jul 6 with 1828 viewsHerbivore

Nolan.... on 16:32 - Jul 6 by clive_baker

Yes, that'll be the one. We didn't buy him at our current level so I'm not sure our pulling power today is relevant, we bought him off the back of a pretty comfortable season in the Championship. I'm not disputing that he's OK relative to our current crock of sh1t, but if you look through the top scorers in L1 you'll be hard pushed to find worse value that £1.6m for an 11 goal return.

Although had Covid not happened I think we'd have at least got our money back on Jackson had we decided to sell. No chance of that with any of the others.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024