Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... 09:08 - Jul 7 with 3085 viewsWeWereZombies

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:09 - Jul 7 with 2160 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:15 - Jul 7 with 2146 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’d suggest Monibot travels to Colombia, Mexico, Russia or Kenya before making such a bloody silly statement.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:16 - Jul 7 with 2137 viewsStokieBlue

Of course it isn't.

Doesn't mean there aren't huge issues though.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:23 - Jul 7 with 2121 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:16 - Jul 7 by StokieBlue

Of course it isn't.

Doesn't mean there aren't huge issues though.

SB

Indeed. We have a woeful government and many of it’s members have their snouts in the trough, but no serious commentators would ever suggest we have the issues of corruption on the scale of the countries I listed above.

Iron Lion Zion

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:26 - Jul 7 with 2101 viewsfooters

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:23 - Jul 7 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. We have a woeful government and many of it’s members have their snouts in the trough, but no serious commentators would ever suggest we have the issues of corruption on the scale of the countries I listed above.

I guess it's just a coincidence that a lot of those countries' dirty money finds its way to the City then, innit.

The UK has a pretence of fairness and transparency which many of those countries don't. What they do have that we don't is overt corruption.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 9:27]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:27 - Jul 7 with 2107 viewsWeWereZombies

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:15 - Jul 7 by GlasgowBlue

I’d suggest Monibot travels to Colombia, Mexico, Russia or Kenya before making such a bloody silly statement.

He also makes an argument, which is worth considering. This takes its lead from an accusation from a mafia hunter (not 26Paz as far as we can tell), which Monbiot seeks to corroborate by alleging that the global network of funding that allows corruption in Colombia, Mexico, Russia, Kenya et al is centred on the City of London.

So he has traction, and links the assertion to Robert Jenrick as a case in point, but you have to ask 'if London was cleaned up would the problems then just move elsewhere?'

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:27 - Jul 7 with 2105 viewsgordon

The £250 million contract for facemasks paid to a firm of currency traders registered in Mauritius with links to one of Liz Truss's advisors is certainly going to be an interesting one.

No idea where that ranks us globally, but there can be no doubt that Trump still has us trailing in his wake.
Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:40 - Jul 7 with 2063 viewsgordon

In the interview Monbiot just reports that Roberto Saviano called Britain the most corrupt nation on Earth, in reference to our attitude to tax havens and flows of international capital. That is something quite different to Jenrick's grubbiness though.

Here's the article on Saviano's argument so it can be appraised on it's merits:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/roberto-saviano-britain-corrupt-
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 9:41]
Login to get fewer ads

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:42 - Jul 7 with 2045 viewsGeoffSentence

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:15 - Jul 7 by GlasgowBlue

Actually he is not making that claim himself, but reporting a claim made by someone who has done an exposeé into the mafia. but it is clear that he is not denying the claim which is based upon the City Of London's role within global corruption.

In the video itself he is concentrating corruption within the Tory party, specifically Jenrick's role in rushing through Desmond's planning application for cash. The sad thing is no-one is surprised that that sort of thing goes on since the Tories always have and always will govern for their rich, powerful buddies in exchange for a few quid for the party.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:46 - Jul 7 with 2033 viewsWeWereZombies

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:42 - Jul 7 by GeoffSentence

Actually he is not making that claim himself, but reporting a claim made by someone who has done an exposeé into the mafia. but it is clear that he is not denying the claim which is based upon the City Of London's role within global corruption.

In the video itself he is concentrating corruption within the Tory party, specifically Jenrick's role in rushing through Desmond's planning application for cash. The sad thing is no-one is surprised that that sort of thing goes on since the Tories always have and always will govern for their rich, powerful buddies in exchange for a few quid for the party.

And the suggestion that the best way to get something noticed by your Member of Parliament is to attend a Conservative Party fundraiser (and to pay several thousand pounds for the 'pleasure' of doing so) is the type of thing that African nations have been castigated for.

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:48 - Jul 7 with 2028 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:27 - Jul 7 by gordon

The £250 million contract for facemasks paid to a firm of currency traders registered in Mauritius with links to one of Liz Truss's advisors is certainly going to be an interesting one.

No idea where that ranks us globally, but there can be no doubt that Trump still has us trailing in his wake.

The U.K. is ranked joint 12th with Canada, Australia and Austria in the list if least corrupt counties in the world. Denmark and New Zealand top that list.

The top 20 most corrupt countries are, in reverse order,

Nicaragua
Cambodia
Chad
Iraq
Burundi
Congo
Turkmenistan
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Haiti
Libya
Guinea Bissau
North Korea
Afghanistan
Venezuela
Sudan
Equatorial Guinea
Yemen
Syria
Sigh Sudan
Somalia

Iron Lion Zion

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:50 - Jul 7 with 2023 viewsMullet

It's certainly fascinating that countries like Iceland and France put corrupt politicians in jail. We put them in the House of Lords.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:51 - Jul 7 with 2020 viewsBlueBadger

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:50 - Jul 7 by Mullet

It's certainly fascinating that countries like Iceland and France put corrupt politicians in jail. We put them in the House of Lords.

Even in the US for fook's sake, they JAIL crooked bankers and politicians. How many were even investigated, yet alone faced sanction of any form in the wake of the financial crisis?

I can only think of one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/co-op-bank-paul-flowers-city-ba

Which does lead me to the conclusion that the rest of them somehow managed to f*ck the country into the ground without even the excuse that they were ruined on drugs and rent boys.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 9:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:52 - Jul 7 with 2011 viewsWeWereZombies

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:48 - Jul 7 by GlasgowBlue

The U.K. is ranked joint 12th with Canada, Australia and Austria in the list if least corrupt counties in the world. Denmark and New Zealand top that list.

Nicaragua
Cambodia
Chad
Iraq
Burundi
Congo
Turkmenistan
Haiti
Libya
Guinea Bissau
North Korea
Afghanistan
Venezuela
Sudan
Equatorial Guinea
Yemen
Syria
Sigh Sudan
Somalia

You're missing the point, Monbiot is objecting to the funding of corruption rather than the incidence of corruption in nation states. Your approach would be comparable to a doctor exhausting themselves by treating a hundred symptoms instead of identifying a single underlying cause and eradicating that.

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:56 - Jul 7 with 1998 viewsgordon

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:48 - Jul 7 by GlasgowBlue

Nicaragua
Cambodia
Chad
Iraq
Burundi
Congo
Turkmenistan
Haiti
Libya
Guinea Bissau
North Korea
Afghanistan
Venezuela
Sudan
Equatorial Guinea
Yemen
Syria
Sigh Sudan
Somalia

Sure, that's not really what Saviano was talking about though.

"...The City of London is the money-laundering centre of the world’s drug trade, according to an internationally acclaimed crime expert. Another expert in Mafia criminology has come forward and stated the UK is now the most corrupt country in the world and firmly pins the blame on The City of London. In addition, every notable financial expert now agrees that due to incredibly lax financial laws facilitated by the British government, the London property market is heavily influenced by laundered money from all over the world involving hidden tax havens, most of which are British."

https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/city-london-centre-global-crime-scene/
Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:58 - Jul 7 with 1989 viewsfactual_blue

Like everything in Britain, we sweeten it with a euphemism. In the case of corruption, it's 'The Old Boy Network'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:59 - Jul 7 with 1971 viewsBlueBadger

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:58 - Jul 7 by factual_blue

Like everything in Britain, we sweeten it with a euphemism. In the case of corruption, it's 'The Old Boy Network'.

Or, as it's known now 'the Cabinet'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:00 - Jul 7 with 1965 viewsMullet

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:51 - Jul 7 by BlueBadger

Even in the US for fook's sake, they JAIL crooked bankers and politicians. How many were even investigated, yet alone faced sanction of any form in the wake of the financial crisis?

I can only think of one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/co-op-bank-paul-flowers-city-ba

Which does lead me to the conclusion that the rest of them somehow managed to f*ck the country into the ground without even the excuse that they were ruined on drugs and rent boys.

As I said yesterday, we literally have a new story of corruption every day in the news cycle linked to a cabinet minister or their friends and family. Yet the British public defend these lot.

We've allowed them to crash us out of the EU, empty the coffers as much as they can whilst clapping along with them.

I'm not saying Rees-Mogg should get the Mussolini treatment, but when he is openly taking money offshore and denying the British public his share whilst literally lolling about the benches of Parliament and preaching, it beggars belief.

Various organised and high level criminals have property and interests in the City from around the globe and we do nothing to bar them, throw them out or confiscate things from them.

To pretend we are some sort of third world banana republic is ridiculous. We are being transformed into a world leading one under these lot.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:01 - Jul 7 with 1958 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:42 - Jul 7 by GeoffSentence

The Jenrick episode is small potatoes Compared to some of the stuff that has happened in the past.

Political corruption has existed as long as politics. More recently we saw “cash for questions” under Major or “Cash for honours” under Blair.

The difference between this current shower, and the last two or three governments before, and what’s happened in the past is that when caught, the honourable thing to do was resign. This lot just sit it out and hope for the next news cycle.

Disclaimer. This isn’t any defence of party political corruption. Just pointing out the sad facts.

Iron Lion Zion

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:04 - Jul 7 with 1948 viewsWeWereZombies

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:51 - Jul 7 by BlueBadger

I can only think of one:

Not quite the only sanction to be applied to an individual arising from the Banking crisis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Goodwin

Ah, c'mon, what do you mean having a knighthood taken away is not like ten years in jail...

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:11 - Jul 7 with 1922 viewsDarth_Koont

Doubtful.

But probably one of the least conscious of the corruption that does exist. I mean even our FPTP system is corrupt by democratic standards but a lot of people think it's the greatest democracy. And we only ever have sporadic interest in the lobbyists and donors who are regularly buying off our politicians. Or concern about the people who have bought up most of our media. Or dismay at the regimes we're supporting overseas with weapons, resources or our UN Security Council role. Etc. etc.

We're remarkably OK with being as corrupt and immoral as we are.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 10:21]

Pronouns: He/Him

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:18 - Jul 7 with 1902 viewsgordon

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:11 - Jul 7 by Darth_Koont

Doubtful.

But probably one of the least conscious of the corruption that does exist. I mean even our FPTP system is corrupt by democratic standards but a lot of people think it's the greatest democracy. And we only ever have sporadic interest in the lobbyists and donors who are regularly buying off our politicians. Or concern about the people who have bought up most of our media. Or dismay at the regimes we're supporting overseas with weapons, resources or our UN Security Council role. Etc. etc.

We're remarkably OK with being as corrupt and immoral as we are.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 10:21]

Yes, I think the extent to which we're indifferent to corruption in this country is fairly unique - most of the time we'd rather look the other way, tut and say, well, politicians will be politicians, probably worse somewhere else etc.
Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:23 - Jul 7 with 1883 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:52 - Jul 7 by WeWereZombies

You're missing the point, Monbiot is objecting to the funding of corruption rather than the incidence of corruption in nation states. Your approach would be comparable to a doctor exhausting themselves by treating a hundred symptoms instead of identifying a single underlying cause and eradicating that.

I’m missing nothing. I’ve dealt specifically with two points. Firstly I was answering the question in the op. “Is England the most corrupt nation in earth” and secondly I was replying to Gordon who said “No idea where that ranks us globally”.

No more and no less as I don’t have the time to address the wider point in the article or watch the video with sound where I am.

Iron Lion Zion

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:39 - Jul 7 with 1853 viewsWeWereZombies

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 10:23 - Jul 7 by GlasgowBlue

I’m missing nothing. I’ve dealt specifically with two points. Firstly I was answering the question in the op. “Is England the most corrupt nation in earth” and secondly I was replying to Gordon who said “No idea where that ranks us globally”.

No more and no less as I don’t have the time to address the wider point in the article or watch the video with sound where I am.

It is less than five minutes long, maybe you can make time later. Then you will be able to address all the things you have missed...

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 11:25 - Jul 7 with 1804 viewsjaykay

Is England the most corrupt nation on Earth? Monbiot thinks it is Britain... on 09:26 - Jul 7 by footers

I guess it's just a coincidence that a lot of those countries' dirty money finds its way to the City then, innit.

The UK has a pretence of fairness and transparency which many of those countries don't. What they do have that we don't is overt corruption.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 9:27]

the top of the pyramid. more corrupt at the bottom, but the opposite to the old tory mandate of wealth trickling down, gushing to the top [city]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024