Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cancel culture 08:25 - Jul 8 with 17024 viewshampstead_blue

Interesting and good that people with a voice are standing up to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53330105

A lawyer on Today even floated the idea of cancelling ALL historical statues, paintings, and physical memorials because 'standards change and people whom today seem great may be hiding dark secrets'
Bonkers.

Am all for free speech. Owen Jones and his cabal can scream "offence" until their lungs turn inside out. Makes my blood boil if you hadn't guessed.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Cancel culture on 08:29 - Jul 8 with 5245 viewsWeWereZombies

[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 8:30]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Cancel culture on 08:42 - Jul 8 with 5167 viewsJakeITFC

Why should JK Rowling have a mouthpiece to spout her offensive nonsense without repercussions?

Very much a case of her using her position to push damaging opinions.
Cancel culture on 08:43 - Jul 8 with 5163 viewsWeWereZombies

My is ironic in case you hadn't guessed, not sure if herbivore's down vote is though. I do think you could have fleshed out the issue a bit though.

When I read the article earlier it was because of the J.K. Rowling headline and her previous comments on transgender issues (where do you stand on this?) My gut instinct is to say allow all debate and all to say what they want - with the traditional British proviso of no making speeches against the Corn Laws on the steps of a corn merchants house and in front of a mob. But the growth of social media has given strength to some very unsavoury right wing voices to the detriment of good social order and maybe our checks and balances are out of date.

Cancel culture on 08:46 - Jul 8 with 5153 viewsTractorWood

I'm in favour of US levels of free speech. People should be able to say whatever they like but being challenged for making stupid statements would become more important than ever! Exactly like the Rowling debate.

The right to say something that is contextually stupid is very important. See Hong Kong.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 8:47]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Cancel culture on 08:50 - Jul 8 with 5113 viewsMullet

Cancel culture on 08:42 - Jul 8 by JakeITFC

Why should JK Rowling have a mouthpiece to spout her offensive nonsense without repercussions?

Jake, can you break down the Rowling/Glinner stuff please? From twitter it feels like I got all the shouting and none of the content.

There seems to be a generational trans divide from what I can make out, but the last stuff I saw attributed to her was denounced as faked tweets.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Cancel culture on 08:54 - Jul 8 with 5094 viewshampstead_blue

Cancel culture on 08:43 - Jul 8 by WeWereZombies

My is ironic in case you hadn't guessed, not sure if herbivore's down vote is though. I do think you could have fleshed out the issue a bit though.

When I read the article earlier it was because of the J.K. Rowling headline and her previous comments on transgender issues (where do you stand on this?) My gut instinct is to say allow all debate and all to say what they want - with the traditional British proviso of no making speeches against the Corn Laws on the steps of a corn merchants house and in front of a mob. But the growth of social media has given strength to some very unsavoury right wing voices to the detriment of good social order and maybe our checks and balances are out of date.

Herbivore would down vote and reply with negativity regardless of what I post. He's some kind of perverted affliction to it.

I've not read Rowling's piece on transgender.
My views on transgender are that people can be whom they want. I've no problem if someone wants to change their gender. I have issues with what I hear about the Tavistock clinic but that's another thing.

My support is for the principle of free speech and this quite worrying rise of the 'offended'.

I've recently read 1984 and feel that creep of deleting history and it's reminders coming into society.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Cancel culture on 08:54 - Jul 8 with 5087 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cancel culture on 08:46 - Jul 8 by TractorWood

I'm in favour of US levels of free speech. People should be able to say whatever they like but being challenged for making stupid statements would become more important than ever! Exactly like the Rowling debate.

The right to say something that is contextually stupid is very important. See Hong Kong.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 8:47]

Did you forget Phooey?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Cancel culture on 08:58 - Jul 8 with 5066 viewsHerbivore

Indeed. She has exercised her free speech and others have exercised their freedom of speech and freedom of choice in return. I'm not really sure what she's bleating on about, that you should be able to say what you like without challenge or repercussion? It's like the gammonista brigade who bang on about snowflakes whilst simultaneously getting really upset that they can't say racist things without people challenging them anymore.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Cancel culture on 09:01 - Jul 8 with 5055 viewsHerbivore

Cancel culture on 08:54 - Jul 8 by hampstead_blue

Herbivore would down vote and reply with negativity regardless of what I post. He's some kind of perverted affliction to it.

My views on transgender are that people can be whom they want. I've no problem if someone wants to change their gender. I have issues with what I hear about the Tavistock clinic but that's another thing.

My support is for the principle of free speech and this quite worrying rise of the 'offended'.

I've recently read 1984 and feel that creep of deleting history and it's reminders coming into society.

Yeah the people who don't like bigots are definitely more of an issue than the bigots.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cancel culture on 09:04 - Jul 8 with 5042 viewsJakeITFC

Cancel culture on 08:50 - Jul 8 by Mullet

Jake, can you break down the Rowling/Glinner stuff please? From twitter it feels like I got all the shouting and none of the content.

There seems to be a generational trans divide from what I can make out, but the last stuff I saw attributed to her was denounced as faked tweets.

Rowling seems to have a bee in her bonnet about trans-people - a kind of constant stream of tweets was followed by a lengthy essay saying how she, as a survivor of domestic abuse, wouldn't feel safe sharing female on spaces with trans-people. This is a fairly offensive thing to say (both denying trans rights and quite a dangerous equivalence of abusers to trans people). She has recently been pushing an agenda that sex change therapy is basically a new form of gay conversion therapy - pushing teenagers down a path of transformation when they are just suffering with mental health problems. Again, quite problematic and very damaging to the trans rights movement given her platform.

Graham Linehan is just a twaat. He just argued with people constantly denying the existence of trans-people and their rights, always in a contradictory and offensive way.
Cancel culture on 09:05 - Jul 8 with 5043 viewsgiant_stow

Cancel culture on 08:54 - Jul 8 by hampstead_blue

The end of the article is quite apt.

Got some sympathy with what they're saying - there is a shouty, group think, 'you're wrong and disgusting' mood knocking about. Sometimes thats deserved of course, but not as much as its aimed at people.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Cancel culture on 09:06 - Jul 8 with 5029 viewshampstead_blue

Cancel culture on 09:01 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

Yeah the people who don't like bigots are definitely more of an issue than the bigots.

Grow-up and read the OP! You really are perverted in your stalking.

Here is the letter to which the OP is commenting on. It's nothing to do with JKR or her views.

https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/

Cancel culture on 09:07 - Jul 8 with 5019 viewsDubtractor

Cancel culture on 09:04 - Jul 8 by JakeITFC

Rowling seems to have a bee in her bonnet about trans-people - a kind of constant stream of tweets was followed by a lengthy essay saying how she, as a survivor of domestic abuse, wouldn't feel safe sharing female on spaces with trans-people. This is a fairly offensive thing to say (both denying trans rights and quite a dangerous equivalence of abusers to trans people). She has recently been pushing an agenda that sex change therapy is basically a new form of gay conversion therapy - pushing teenagers down a path of transformation when they are just suffering with mental health problems. Again, quite problematic and very damaging to the trans rights movement given her platform.

Graham Linehan is just a twaat. He just argued with people constantly denying the existence of trans-people and their rights, always in a contradictory and offensive way.

Pretty gutted about Linehan as he is responsible for som much brilliant comedy over the years.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cancel culture on 09:08 - Jul 8 with 5007 viewsWeWereZombies

Cancel culture on 09:01 - Jul 8 by Herbivore

May I put the same question to you that I put to Hampstead? Can you flesh out your objections a bit more?

Cancel culture on 09:08 - Jul 8 with 5008 viewsbluewein

Cancel culture on 09:05 - Jul 8 by giant_stow

The end of the article is quite apt.

Got some sympathy with what they're saying - there is a shouty, group think, 'you're wrong and disgusting' mood knocking about. Sometimes thats deserved of course, but not as much as its aimed at people.

See Danny Baker...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Cancel culture on 09:10 - Jul 8 with 4987 viewsMullet

Cheers, from what I could tell both cited examples of men transitioning to allow them access to women as they were already known sex offenders.

Likewise one of these offenders who had sued businesses out of existence for not recognising "him" as "her" (I appreciate the language is clumsy) seemed to cause some ire.

I've got one former colleague has recently transitioned and seems to share very weaponised pieces and a few students have recently come out as trans in the past 18 months and it's been interesting as a teacher. Both in terms of how they see themselves and I admit it's an area I don't really know the nuances of.

The stuff about Mermaids and drug therapy seems incredibly controversial, from what I could tell that was the generational divide amongst the trans community right?

Cancel culture on 09:11 - Jul 8 with 4986 viewsgiant_stow

Ive been follwing this debate, but have been very nervous about expressing an opinion on it. My problem is that i can see both sides of it. Can they both be right in some ways or do i have to pick a side?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Cancel culture on 09:17 - Jul 8 with 4937 viewsfooters

People have the right to say whatever they like.

Private institutions have the right to refuse someone to speak.

Shrug.

Don't say stupid sh1t and you'll be allowed to talk.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cancel culture on 09:19 - Jul 8 with 4920 viewsWeWereZombies

Cancel culture on 09:06 - Jul 8 by hampstead_blue

Grow-up and read the OP! You really are perverted in your stalking.

Here is the letter to which the OP is commenting on. It's nothing to do with JKR or her views.

https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/

Would have up voted this for the link but your first sentence or two was too confrontational for me to do that.

Cancel culture on 09:21 - Jul 8 with 4904 viewsDyland

Cancel culture on 09:11 - Jul 8 by giant_stow

Ive been follwing this debate, but have been very nervous about expressing an opinion on it. My problem is that i can see both sides of it. Can they both be right in some ways or do i have to pick a side?

Polarisation is the enemy of wishy washy unwashed hippy yoghurt eating thought. I.e. no, don't pick a side.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cancel culture on 09:21 - Jul 8 with 4901 viewsJakeITFC

Cancel culture on 09:11 - Jul 8 by giant_stow

There is definitely nuance to it - I'm so far removed from the lived experiences of trans-people that I'm really not in a position to have a strong and definitive opinion on those issues, but I certainly think that there are grey areas around things like sporting competition.

What I think it is right to be strong on is that the people who are going through this have a right to a voice and a movement - offensive opinions from prominent people are problematic and damaging.
Cancel culture on 09:22 - Jul 8 with 4882 viewsBobbychase

Have you ever checked out the Twitter replies to Rowling's tweets? They're full of joyful things like threats to rape her or assault her, or wishes that she gets cancer and dies.

But yeah, she's harmful.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Cancel culture on 09:23 - Jul 8 with 4877 viewsMullet

Why have you called out Owen Jones and his "cabal" here? The contradiction is bizarre to say the least.

Cancel culture on 09:23 - Jul 8 with 4868 viewsbluewein

Cancel culture on 09:21 - Jul 8 by Dyland

Polarisation is the enemy of wishy washy unwashed hippy yoghurt eating thought. I.e. no, don't pick a side.

Wish i'd known this before my old man forced Town on me, the wishy washy unwashed hippy yoghurt eating twazock...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

good use of twazock on 09:24 - Jul 8 with 4858 viewsDyland

Cancel culture on 09:23 - Jul 8 by bluewein

Wish i'd known this before my old man forced Town on me, the wishy washy unwashed hippy yoghurt eating twazock...

nft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024