Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations 13:42 - Jul 8 with 1080 viewsGlasgowBlue

Plus 50% off meals in restaurants and cafes on Monday, Tue, Wed in August.

Good boost that 😀👍

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 13:46 - Jul 8 with 1047 viewscatch74

Some great stuff in there for us - retention of furlough staff bonus plus 6 months wages paid for creation of new jobs. There’s also help for apprentices, which have previously worked for us. All in all very positive.
Rishi the polar opposite of Boris, gives you tories a hint of respectability.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 13:54 - Jul 8 with 989 viewsGlasgowBlue

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 13:46 - Jul 8 by catch74

Some great stuff in there for us - retention of furlough staff bonus plus 6 months wages paid for creation of new jobs. There’s also help for apprentices, which have previously worked for us. All in all very positive.
Rishi the polar opposite of Boris, gives you tories a hint of respectability.

Sunak has played a blinder during this pandemic. As you say polar opposite to Johnson.

If Johnson went tomorrow then I can’t see past Sunak for the top job and I’d be more than happy.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:16 - Jul 8 with 928 viewsOldsmoker

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 13:54 - Jul 8 by GlasgowBlue

Sunak has played a blinder during this pandemic. As you say polar opposite to Johnson.

If Johnson went tomorrow then I can’t see past Sunak for the top job and I’d be more than happy.

He's got a Gold credit card with no limit.
Wait till he gets the statement, then the purse strings will tighten.
However, as you have pointed out, that is more likely to be his successor as Chancellor when he takes over as PM.
The sneaky little Tory.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:28 - Jul 8 with 889 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 13:54 - Jul 8 by GlasgowBlue

I do like Sunak. I guess the question is whether they are his policies or those of his advisors.

If he is the brains behind most of the economic packages then he has played a blinder.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:31 - Jul 8 with 874 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Only word of caution, last time we had a temporary VAT cut, it led to a permanent increase from 17.5 to 20%.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:31 - Jul 8 with 876 viewscooperd5

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:16 - Jul 8 by Oldsmoker

However, as you have pointed out, that is more likely to be his successor as Chancellor when he takes over as PM.
The sneaky little Tory.

definitely this.
Its easy to dole out someone else's money...
VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:37 - Jul 8 with 846 viewsSwansea_Blue

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:16 - Jul 8 by Oldsmoker

The sneaky little Tory.

I don't think that's the case. That's the impression they are trying to give, but the spending is a fraction of that in comparable European countries. Germany's recovery package is an order of magnitude larger, France's several times larger.

It's welcome, of course, but it isn't generous in relative terms. So I'm not buying this magic money tree talk. And yes of course, this won't be given out easily. There will be elements that aren't new money that have been diverted from elsewhere, but even with the new money they will be looking to recoup it down the line.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That's the spirit! (n/t) on 14:37 - Jul 8 with 843 viewsBloots

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:31 - Jul 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

Only word of caution, last time we had a temporary VAT cut, it led to a permanent increase from 17.5 to 20%.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Login to get fewer ads

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:37 - Jul 8 with 837 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:31 - Jul 8 by cooperd5

definitely this.

There's a choice at the moment, either pay to keep people in work, or pay for them to be out of work.

If he didn't undertake these measures, there would also be a huge cost relating to the 'do nothing' option.

That's the spirit! (n/t) on 14:38 - Jul 8 with 830 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's the spirit! (n/t) on 14:37 - Jul 8 by Bloots

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:55 - Jul 8 with 789 viewsflimflam

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:31 - Jul 8 by cooperd5

definitely this.

I guess it is but was fine when Mr Corbyn was promising to dish out hundreds of billions.

The Tories have their faults but for once I cannot see anything for anyone to moan about in this instance.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 15:20 - Jul 8 with 732 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Sunak will be PM one day.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 15:24 - Jul 8 with 730 viewsStokieBlue

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 14:37 - Jul 8 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think that's the case. That's the impression they are trying to give, but the spending is a fraction of that in comparable European countries. Germany's recovery package is an order of magnitude larger, France's several times larger.

It's welcome, of course, but it isn't generous in relative terms. So I'm not buying this magic money tree talk. And yes of course, this won't be given out easily. There will be elements that aren't new money that have been diverted from elsewhere, but even with the new money they will be looking to recoup it down the line.

As of May 20th so quite a bit out of date with the latest measures announced:

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 15:28 - Jul 8 with 719 viewsclive_baker

Credit where it's due. These interventions will not only help businesses & job creation, but they're creative in ways that should hopefully change consumer behaviour. My fear was that we would simply see the government continue to write cheques for businesses which, while helpful, wouldn't ultimately serve to get the economy firing again. People have been sufficiently scared, and not without reason, but we all need to be coaxed back out sensibly, to get out where appropriate and start spending money again. We can all play our part in that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 15:43 - Jul 8 with 680 viewsSwansea_Blue

VAT cut to 5% on food, attractions and staycations on 15:24 - Jul 8 by StokieBlue

As of May 20th so quite a bit out of date with the latest measures announced:

SB

Yeah well out of date I'd imagine, although I hadn't seen the amounts relative to GDP. I'm assuming those are for the furlough schemes and the like. In terms of recovery, Germany announced a stimulus of about €130bn of rescue package in early June, France €50bn, and we announced about £5bn at the end of June. Then we've had the recent Arts package (£1.7bn), compared to France's of about €7-8bn, although ours is on a similar scale to Germany's and you'd expect France to value culture more.

I suspect the spending will need to continue too. We're going to have to compete against the €1 trillion that the EU are going to be spending on top of those national schemes. Against the backdrop of Brexit too. 'Interesting' times ahead.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024