Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tipping 14:56 - Jul 8 with 2057 viewsclive_baker

What's the consensus on tipping tradespeople? I normally give a little something to trades people to get themselves a couple of beers or whatever, but wondered if it's the done thing and how much is an appropriate amount?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tipping on 14:58 - Jul 8 with 1905 viewsfooters

Isn't just paying in cash a form of tipping?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Tipping on 14:59 - Jul 8 with 1900 viewsDyland

Tip the bin peeps at Xmas. Buy the postie a present. Give the dealer a silly card.

Do you mean the plumber and that? Nah, I don't tip them.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Tipping on 15:13 - Jul 8 with 1841 viewshampstead_blue

We've just had to fund a 9% increase on a 6 house development.

They should be tipping us!

Our builder was running through the £50k SUV's he's had, whilst sat in his burnt orange new Navaro.
I'm stood there with a mahoosive amount of increased spending and he's telling me to go and test drive the new Q7.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Tipping on 15:26 - Jul 8 with 1816 viewsgainsboroughblue

I'll tip the delivery driver if he scales two flights of stairs to my flat with grocery shopping. I'll leave something for the postman at Christmas. That's it. Considering someone like a plumber charges you for simply phoning them before they enter your door, I feel they probably earn enough.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Tipping on 15:32 - Jul 8 with 1795 viewsclive_baker

Tipping on 14:59 - Jul 8 by Dyland

Tip the bin peeps at Xmas. Buy the postie a present. Give the dealer a silly card.

Yeah I mean plumbers etc. Just had some joinery done at my gaff and he's done a great job to be fair, at a keen price too. Got a handful of quotes and he was loads cheaper than the others. Don't get me wrong, he's self employed and I'm sure he's charging himself out at a good day rate, but wondered if tips are the done thing?

Tipping on 15:34 - Jul 8 with 1787 viewsfooters

Tipping on 15:32 - Jul 8 by clive_baker

Yeah I mean plumbers etc. Just had some joinery done at my gaff and he's done a great job to be fair, at a keen price too. Got a handful of quotes and he was loads cheaper than the others. Don't get me wrong, he's self employed and I'm sure he's charging himself out at a good day rate, but wondered if tips are the done thing?

Is the chap listed on any trade sites etc? Maybe a well-written, positive review would be a good way to thank him. Word of mouth recommendations always going to be welcome too.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Tipping on 15:35 - Jul 8 with 1780 viewsuefacup81

Tipping on 15:32 - Jul 8 by clive_baker

If he's self-employed then I wouldn't - he's able to set whatever rates he's happy with.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Tipping on 15:37 - Jul 8 with 1777 viewsjeera

Tipping on 14:59 - Jul 8 by Dyland

That's about the size of it.

Paperboy/girl, sure. Milkman, sure.

Someone who's just charged you hundreds of pounds to fit some carpets?

Er, no.

I made you a coffee and you didn't even mutter thanks you cretin. The job's done so stop hanging about asking if everything's in order and get out.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 15:39]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Tipping on 15:43 - Jul 8 with 1752 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Tipping on 15:35 - Jul 8 by uefacup81

If he's self-employed then I wouldn't - he's able to set whatever rates he's happy with.

This....although i was given a couple of nice bottles of wine last week as a "tip" for a gardening job the client was very happy with done at a very fair price.
Extremely good they were too so perhaps that may be an option.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Tipping on 15:44 - Jul 8 with 1747 viewsclive_baker

Tipping on 15:34 - Jul 8 by footers

Is the chap listed on any trade sites etc? Maybe a well-written, positive review would be a good way to thank him. Word of mouth recommendations always going to be welcome too.

Yeah that's fair, a good review should serve him well.

Just wondered if it's tight not slipping him a score for a few pints.

Tipping on 16:12 - Jul 8 with 1666 viewsfactual_blue

Tipping on 15:37 - Jul 8 by jeera

That's about the size of it.

Paperboy/girl, sure. Milkman, sure.

Someone who's just charged you hundreds of pounds to fit some carpets?

Er, no.

I made you a coffee and you didn't even mutter thanks you cretin. The job's done so stop hanging about asking if everything's in order and get out.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2020 15:39]

The self-employed carpet fitter is ripping the taxman (and therefore you) off, so balls.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Tipping on 16:29 - Jul 8 with 1613 viewsfabian_illness

I run a small business with a few lads doing domestic and commercial work.
I personally never take tips as I don’t feel it’s professional for the boss to take it and then go and put the invoice in.
I know one of my chaps who never accepts money but a couple of the others have taken it in the past when offered.
I don’t think it’s necessary at all, but if they have gone above and beyond and you’re happy then it’s not wrong.
For me, a simple phone call or text after a day or two to compliment on the service means a lot. We get that quite a bit and it only takes 30 seconds.
Tipping on 16:38 - Jul 8 with 1592 viewsSwansea_Blue

I often give tradesmen tips on what to do better. It doesn't go down well though

(I actually keep well out of the way as I'm fairly clueless on this sort of stuff. Don't tend to tip trades in general, unless I feel they've gone out of their way on something).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tipping on 17:25 - Jul 8 with 1538 viewsBloomBlue

I normally give them a tip on how they can do the job better next time. I work on the polite kindness basis that free advice costs nothing.
Tipping on 17:55 - Jul 8 with 1501 viewsFixed_It

This isn't America yet. So no.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Tipping on 18:00 - Jul 8 with 1486 viewsSpruceMoose

Tipping on 17:55 - Jul 8 by Fixed_It

This isn't America yet. So no.

Tipping is out of control here. People expect it for the most ridiculous things and if they don't get one they give you the stink eye.

Luckily for me I enjoy keepimg my dollars and also enjoy collecting stink eyes.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Tipping on 18:20 - Jul 8 with 1453 viewsIllinoisblue

Tipping on 18:00 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

Tipping is out of control here. People expect it for the most ridiculous things and if they don't get one they give you the stink eye.

Also, when did 20% become the norm? My wife insists that amount is “standard” for good service. I reject this entirely and stick to 15%.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tipping on 18:27 - Jul 8 with 1446 viewsSpruceMoose

Tipping on 18:20 - Jul 8 by Illinoisblue

Also, when did 20% become the norm? My wife insists that amount is “standard” for good service. I reject this entirely and stick to 15%.

Funny you should say that, you know, on those Square payment systems I've started to notice that where it used to give you three options of what to tip - 15%, 18% and 20%, it's sometimes set to 18%, 20% or 25% now. 25%, for pouring me a filter coffee? Come on now.

It is distasteful that in this culture tips are a way for employers to avoid paying a living wage to their staff rather than being a reward for excellent service.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Tipping on 18:46 - Jul 8 with 1421 viewseastangliaisblue

Tipping on 18:00 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

Canadians are just as bad. I went to Cuba a few years ago to an all-inclusive. Not my choice i hate them, the wife really wanted to go. Now i know Cubans are relatively poor and i did tip generously when it was warranted. When you've got Canadians tipping for everything though, i was getting dirty looks for not tipping the chef, flipping an egg at breakfast.
Tipping on 18:49 - Jul 8 with 1408 viewsSpruceMoose

Tipping on 18:46 - Jul 8 by eastangliaisblue

Canadians are just as bad. I went to Cuba a few years ago to an all-inclusive. Not my choice i hate them, the wife really wanted to go. Now i know Cubans are relatively poor and i did tip generously when it was warranted. When you've got Canadians tipping for everything though, i was getting dirty looks for not tipping the chef, flipping an egg at breakfast.

You hate Cubans or all inclusive holidays? 😂

I'm guessing you mean the hoildays!

Tipping on 18:50 - Jul 8 with 1403 viewseastangliaisblue

Tipping on 18:49 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

You hate Cubans or all inclusive holidays? 😂

I'm guessing you mean the hoildays!

Haha sorry i meant all inclusive! Cubans are great people.
Tipping on 06:45 - Jul 9 with 1267 viewsbefxblue

50% of the invoice value
Tipping on 08:01 - Jul 9 with 1219 viewsitfcjoe

Tipping on 18:27 - Jul 8 by SpruceMoose

Funny you should say that, you know, on those Square payment systems I've started to notice that where it used to give you three options of what to tip - 15%, 18% and 20%, it's sometimes set to 18%, 20% or 25% now. 25%, for pouring me a filter coffee? Come on now.

It is distasteful that in this culture tips are a way for employers to avoid paying a living wage to their staff rather than being a reward for excellent service.

When I was in NY nearly 5 years ago it was 18, 20 and 22% as the options in the back of a cab

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tipping on 09:45 - Jul 9 with 1141 viewsclive_baker

Tipping on 18:46 - Jul 8 by eastangliaisblue

You're right about Canada, it's just as bad as US.

Like you say, I actually don't mind it for a sit down meal or whatever, I'll tip over here and I'll tip there, albeit more out there. I'll tip 10% here if the service has been decent etc and 20% out there, but what winds me up is the stuff they expect a tip for that just wouldn't cross your mind here. Walk up to a bar and get a beer and you're expected to leave a dollar, what's that about? You wouldn't leave a quid on the bar every time you got a drink here. I'm glad that we don't have that culture here.

Tipping on 09:50 - Jul 9 with 1130 viewsitfcjoe

Tipping on 09:45 - Jul 9 by clive_baker

You're right about Canada, it's just as bad as US.

Like you say, I actually don't mind it for a sit down meal or whatever, I'll tip over here and I'll tip there, albeit more out there. I'll tip 10% here if the service has been decent etc and 20% out there, but what winds me up is the stuff they expect a tip for that just wouldn't cross your mind here. Walk up to a bar and get a beer and you're expected to leave a dollar, what's that about? You wouldn't leave a quid on the bar every time you got a drink here. I'm glad that we don't have that culture here.

I went to Cancun for Spring Break (wooooo!) a dozen or so years back.

Every place had a cover price to get in, $50ish to cover your drinks for the night, but then after about an hour you wouldn't get served unless you tipped, after another hour you wouldn't get served unless you were tipping about $10 a drink, it was infuriating as a Boozed up Brit Abroad.

Yanks thought nothing of it, we were basically getting behind the bar and serving ourselves at times in numbers - obviously not my finest behaviour but after a few drinks having paid top money for an all you can drink event getting $1 bills given back to you as too low a denomination and refusing to serve you winds you up!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024