Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? 09:17 - Jul 9 with 4294 viewsSteve_M

Almost certainly the stand out member of the cabinet over the last few months, happy to explain his policy proposals in terms of nuance and costs when interviewed today.

That sort of competence is clearly too big a threat to Johnson & Cummings. The contrast with the shambolic approach of the Prime Minister and the not as clever as he thinks he is scheming of Cummings is stark.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 13:06 - Jul 9 with 622 viewssparks

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 11:35 - Jul 9 by footers

Yeah, it's an odd one. Back in December, borrowing to invest would have crashed the economy and was just wild communist irresponsibility. But now the shoe's on the other foot, the money machine goes brrr and all this borrowing is totally sensible and nothing to be concerned about.

Funny that.

I dont think that is fair- they were already proposing spending, and clearly your approach has to match the extreme circumstances in any event.

The position is also different to that of increasing year on year spending all of the time and enlarging the yearly deficit. This is all one off stuff- aimed at making sure that the yearly deficit does not grow as a result of recession.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 13:20 - Jul 9 with 607 viewsDarth_Koont

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 13:06 - Jul 9 by sparks

I dont think that is fair- they were already proposing spending, and clearly your approach has to match the extreme circumstances in any event.

The position is also different to that of increasing year on year spending all of the time and enlarging the yearly deficit. This is all one off stuff- aimed at making sure that the yearly deficit does not grow as a result of recession.

Although you can argue the same for investing in society. We've got ballooning health and social costs and low productivity as a result of low historic investment.

Pronouns: He/Him

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 13:35 - Jul 9 with 585 viewsMullet

Easy to be popular when you're giving us back our money at a time of crisis and your predecessors and contemporaries have been so utterly callous and inept.

Don't get me wrong apart from saluting a shop full of kettles because he thought it was a Wetherspoons, he seems pretty competent.

It'll be about how much sh1t sticks when people realise Brexit is a dud and their lives are going to get even harder no matter how many knock offs of Orange Wednesdays he can muster.

Will be interesting to see Starmer get stuck into him in a year or two. I suspect we might find he's in trouble by then.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 14:57 - Jul 9 with 543 viewsElephantintheRoom

Giving away free money is not the most demanding job in the world.

Johnson will go when he 'delivers the will of the British people' with his oven-ready Brexit.... leaving free money man or Hunt to pick up the baton and juggle an unprecendente self-created recession made worse by Brexit and Covid incompetence, not to mention a massive additional debt that looks unsustainable at the moment.

Doubt he will be so popular when he starts asking for his free money back.... nor ith the millions who are going to be long-term unemployed owing to a looming Brexit which still hasn't been thought out and may yet see the UK blacklisted by the WTO.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 17:24 - Jul 9 with 512 viewsbluelagos

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 10:41 - Jul 9 by GlasgowBlue

The VAT reduction isn’t designed to lead to reduced prices. It’s to help the restaurant owner who has to pay 20% to HMRC on its takings (except cold take away) but can claim very little back to offset this in the stock they buy.

For example. There is no VAT on a steak purchased by a restaurant but as soon as that Steak is cooked and served the restaurant must charge VAT.

The help for the punter is by way of the 50% discount in August.

So there is help for the business owner by way of reducing their VAT liability and help for the punter with the 50% discount.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 10:44]

Not convinced you are right. Cant believe the govt would wish to give huge sums of money to Starbucks, McDonald's and various pub groups.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 17:34 - Jul 9 with 501 viewsmatteoblue

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 09:35 - Jul 9 by gtsb1966

When he has to put up taxes, unemployment reaches its peak and we have more austerity which is inevitable, then we will see, rightly or wrongly, how popular he is. A year is a long time in politics.

Well, exactly. The people who will be asking for the money back, with interest, to pay for this shambles they've created won't be smiling like Rishi. Should take at least a decade, with a fair wind I would imagine.

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 17:51 - Jul 9 with 484 viewsTractorWood

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 09:34 - Jul 9 by bluelagos

The one I think he has messed up on is the VAT reduction. If he thinks that will lead to reduced prices and thus more demand he has more faith in the hospitality sector than I do.

More than a few retailers will simply bank the additional profit and consumers will still pay full whack for a pint/meal/hotel!/coffee in such cases.

Agree. Hotels etc are just going to bank it.

Loving a chancellor that has literally only signed massive cheques isn't particularly difficult. Two things worry me, a massive recession from the aftermath of covid and the compounding of this by having had the treasury prop up the economy for at least 6 months.

The austerity required to pay for this is going to be mind boggling on top of an already deeply pressured health service, police force, education and social care system.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 17:55 - Jul 9 with 476 viewsPhilTWTD

#ForgottenLtd
Login to get fewer ads

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 18:03 - Jul 9 with 466 viewsm14_blue

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 09:27 - Jul 9 by itfcjoe

I don't think he has been able to build up his own support as yet, has had to take the advisers foisted on him so yet to establish his own power base.

But he has to be the next leader, he's streets ahead of anyone else in the party

I fairly significantly overcooked the cabbage to have with my bangers and mash tonight.

It’s still streets ahead of anyone else in the Tory party.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 18:26]
When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 18:29 - Jul 9 with 449 viewsGlasgowBlue

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 17:24 - Jul 9 by bluelagos

Not convinced you are right. Cant believe the govt would wish to give huge sums of money to Starbucks, McDonald's and various pub groups.

As somebody with two coffee shop/Bistros that have been closed for the past four months I'm I'm pretty certain I'm right.

It's a massive shot in the arm to have VAT cut from 20% to 5%.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 18:43 - Jul 9 with 442 viewsbluelagos

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 18:29 - Jul 9 by GlasgowBlue

As somebody with two coffee shop/Bistros that have been closed for the past four months I'm I'm pretty certain I'm right.

It's a massive shot in the arm to have VAT cut from 20% to 5%.

Whether you pass on the VAT reduction to your customers is your business, and am pretty sure many small businesses will retain that profit (as a matter of survival)

But I'd argue that larger (and secure) businesses retaining high prices (and increased margins) isn't the best use of public money - if that is what is actually intended.

Just read his speech from yesterday and there is very little substance on it. He does mention "increased demand" in answering one question from A.Carmichael about VAT, which implies reduced prices, not conclusive though. For me the jury is out as far as I can tell as to the govt's intentions.

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 19:56 - Jul 9 with 417 viewsDarth_Koont

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 17:55 - Jul 9 by PhilTWTD

#ForgottenLtd

You're right but you're also out of luck, Phil. You're off their radar. They're giving money away for the headlines and to help their buddies/feather their own nests.

And the media would have a sh!t fit if that focus was turned towards the man and woman in the street and away from their corporate masters and advertisers.

"The party of [big] business"

I can accept that it's difficult to evaluate and help small businesses but they're going to use that difficulty to ignore it.

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 20:07 - Jul 9 with 400 viewsbluelagos

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 19:56 - Jul 9 by Darth_Koont

You're right but you're also out of luck, Phil. You're off their radar. They're giving money away for the headlines and to help their buddies/feather their own nests.

And the media would have a sh!t fit if that focus was turned towards the man and woman in the street and away from their corporate masters and advertisers.

"The party of [big] business"

I can accept that it's difficult to evaluate and help small businesses but they're going to use that difficulty to ignore it.

It's not hard at all. They could have simply said the Vat cut and the meal deal are only available to business' with a turnover of less than £1m. Problem solved, money targetted at small businesses and the big boys can carry on.

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 20:30 - Jul 9 with 388 viewsDarth_Koont

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 20:07 - Jul 9 by bluelagos

It's not hard at all. They could have simply said the Vat cut and the meal deal are only available to business' with a turnover of less than £1m. Problem solved, money targetted at small businesses and the big boys can carry on.

Fair enough.

I was talking more about businesses which will continue to be slow/non-existent because of Coronavirus. If TWTD relies on advertising money then that's been turned off like a tap.

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 09:43 - Jul 11 with 325 viewsGlasgowBlue

When will Rishi Sunak get pushed out? on 20:07 - Jul 9 by bluelagos

As my dear old dad used to say, it’s not the turnover that’s important. It’s the left over.

We are seeing massive job cuts from big business such as BA, John Lewis, Boots, Pret etc.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024