Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
80 years ago today 07:13 - Jul 10 with 1639 viewssolomon

The Battle of Britain started. Another reminder of selfless sacrifice and determination in the face of unfavourable odds. We can still learn at lot from this today.
80 years ago today on 19:17 - Jul 10 with 251 viewsWeWereZombies

80 years ago today on 18:39 - Jul 10 by EdwardStone

Not all of France, but their High Command made some pitiful choices in July 1940

As a slight side effect, it is alleged that the decision to shell the French fleet helped to convince the US Government to join in the War....it showed that we were prepared to kill our Allies in order to achieve best outcome, or possibly least worst outcome, we weren't just going to roll over

A truly regrettable episode in the war....highly preventable and yet it still happened due to poor judgement

See also the invasion of Madagascar 1942.

I don't have the second volume of Churchill's history of the Second World War to hand but from memory the account of the attack recounted there seemed to involve divides amongst the French ministers, divides amongst the French naval officers and a combination of indecision and then impatient action on the part of Britain. Real fog of war stuff.

I wasn't aware of the attack being a major influence on the United States entering the war (over seventeen months later), I thought the Pearl Harbor attack (and its relevance to who dominated the Pacific) and the SO1 operations that sought to influence United States public opinion against the Nazis.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

80 years ago today on 20:27 - Jul 10 with 229 viewsEdwardStone

80 years ago today on 19:17 - Jul 10 by WeWereZombies

I don't have the second volume of Churchill's history of the Second World War to hand but from memory the account of the attack recounted there seemed to involve divides amongst the French ministers, divides amongst the French naval officers and a combination of indecision and then impatient action on the part of Britain. Real fog of war stuff.

I wasn't aware of the attack being a major influence on the United States entering the war (over seventeen months later), I thought the Pearl Harbor attack (and its relevance to who dominated the Pacific) and the SO1 operations that sought to influence United States public opinion against the Nazis.

Apologies, a poor choice of phrase on my part....

I think that the action helped FDR to abandon his neutral stance and begin to supply us with much needed arms, supplies and destroyers

The thinking being that the US felt that we were just about to be over run and so there was precious little good in trying to resupply us across the Atlantic

The episode at Oran showed that we were not just about to roll over like France
80 years ago today on 21:33 - Jul 10 with 215 viewsNthQldITFC

80 years ago today on 09:46 - Jul 10 by Pendejo

Radar
Hurricanes
Spitfires
Multinational pilots fighting for freedom

Never, in the field of human conflict, was so much owed by so many to so few.

We shot them down with good old-fashioned British spunk.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024