Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday 09:39 - Jul 10 with 1075 viewsElderGrizzly

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 09:53 - Jul 10 with 1037 viewssparks

I think the Kane one was just about debatable. I thought King was trying to run alongside Kane, and then had another spurs player cut in front of him giving him nowhere to go.

Only just arguable though. The other two were utterly baffling.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 10:01 - Jul 10 with 1018 viewsHerbivore

I only saw the Villa v Man U one and I posted last night that I could not comprehend how VAR officials were able to watch that back and confirm it was a penalty. It wasn't even a debatable one for me, there's no foul there and it's actually Fernandes that makes contact with the defender rather than the other way round.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 11:00 - Jul 10 with 958 viewsAYACCA

Get rid, controversy is a great part of football
Good old VAR - Patience on 12:51 - Jul 10 with 894 viewshampstead_blue

It's been interesting watching how VAR has worked in football.

The tech has been a revelation in cricket which, you'd expect to be fusty and old fashioned. Tennis as well.

I don't watch Prem football, but see the debatable bits from time to time.

I'd say it's down to the officials use and interpretations of actions. Also you need to allow the authorities to work-out parameters and dictat for the officials to work within.

Give it time and it could be as great as it's been in cricket.

We don't have it in L1 so at least we can't complain about our own thin end of that wedge.......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:03 - Jul 10 with 875 viewsGarv

It's the laws that need changing though, and it's not VAR's fault, right?

It was always going to be a disaster. It has been and is a disaster and will be going forwards. Admit defeat, bin it and concentrate on improving refereeing standards. Referees are meant to provide authority. How can you respect the man supposedly in charge of the game when he has to touch his ear and get authorisation from somewhere else to make a decision, which most of the time is down to one man's opinion?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:07 - Jul 10 with 859 viewsHerbivore

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:03 - Jul 10 by Garv

It was always going to be a disaster. It has been and is a disaster and will be going forwards. Admit defeat, bin it and concentrate on improving refereeing standards. Referees are meant to provide authority. How can you respect the man supposedly in charge of the game when he has to touch his ear and get authorisation from somewhere else to make a decision, which most of the time is down to one man's opinion?

I think I tend to agree. Goal line technology is fine, it's basically instant and is reliable (recent Sheff Utd goal excepted). Where interpretation is required that's when it goes wrong. We're still debating poor decisions, just by VAR rather than refs and all it means is games get dragged out.

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:16 - Jul 10 with 841 viewshampstead_blue

If you ditch VAR then you are saying that technology has little place in sport when it's been a raging success.

Give them time to figure out the parameters where it works best. Let the officials learn.

Sadly technology is the future. I'd rather a decision decided by reviewing tech than just that person.

Be patient and thankful that we aren't subject to it at ITFC (for two years at least).

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:20 - Jul 10 with 837 viewsBloomBlue

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:07 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

I think I tend to agree. Goal line technology is fine, it's basically instant and is reliable (recent Sheff Utd goal excepted). Where interpretation is required that's when it goes wrong. We're still debating poor decisions, just by VAR rather than refs and all it means is games get dragged out.

I think that's because VAR was designed for clear and obvious mistakes ie the player standing a couple of feet offside and missed by the lino, the obvious mistake. But VAR is being used for those tight decisions which will be based on opinion and having a human sitting looking at screen is no real different to the ref it will be down to their interpretation as you say.

It works better in cricket because most of the interpretation by a human is removed the technology simply tells where the balls is heading and if it hits the stumps.

If VAR was used for what it was originally intended 'clear and obvious' then I think it would work ok
Login to get fewer ads

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:52 - Jul 10 with 806 viewspointofblue

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 09:53 - Jul 10 by sparks

I think the Kane one was just about debatable. I thought King was trying to run alongside Kane, and then had another spurs player cut in front of him giving him nowhere to go.

Only just arguable though. The other two were utterly baffling.

I agree, the Spurs decision was borderline and I can see why it wasn’t given; Mourinho would have been fuming if it had gone against him. The Villa v Man Utd decision was laughable, however.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 15:11 - Jul 10 with 773 viewsSamWhiteUK

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:16 - Jul 10 by hampstead_blue

If you ditch VAR then you are saying that technology has little place in sport when it's been a raging success.

Give them time to figure out the parameters where it works best. Let the officials learn.

Sadly technology is the future. I'd rather a decision decided by reviewing tech than just that person.

Be patient and thankful that we aren't subject to it at ITFC (for two years at least).

"If you ditch VAR then you are saying that technology has little place in sport when it's been a raging success. "

Don't be ridiculous, that's not what's being said here at all.

Cricket, tennis, goal-line technology. All of these work really well, because there is a right and a wrong answer all of the time. With VAR, it's still down to an individual, at the end of the day. Yes, ok, they have more replays etc, but you've just moved the interpretation stage down the line.
Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 15:31 - Jul 10 with 758 viewsrickw

All 3 of these were judgement calls, now instead of just 3 ref's getting them wrong it's now the 3 refs getting them wrong and 3 more ref's watching on TV also getting them wrong!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 15:52 - Jul 10 with 743 viewsjaykay

nothing wrong with var at all. it doesn't get nothing wrong. its the idiots who review what var shows, who get it wrong.
who are these people who review what var shows, are they ex refs or refs who aren't used for games that day. if so kick them into touch and get ex pros to do the job.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 16:29 - Jul 10 with 718 viewsChrisd

It’s a combination of things. Most definitely the rules, but also VAR is subjective based on human error which was always going to be an issue as we all see things differently. Look at the views on here with various topics. Initially, I thought VAR was going to improve the game, but the longer it goes on it seems to be causing more angst. I think if managers and players were given the option, I’m sure they’d go back to referees on the pitch making the decision and having the ultimate say, they’d probably be a little more accepting of them too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 16:34 - Jul 10 with 714 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 13:16 - Jul 10 by hampstead_blue

Football is completely different to other sports. VAR is ruining it.

Goal line tech is fine so long as officials use it as a guide and use their own judgement alongside it.

In tennis 7% of hawk eye calls are wrong.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 19:39 - Jul 10 with 652 viewshampstead_blue

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 16:34 - Jul 10 by The_Last_Baron

Goal line tech is fine so long as officials use it as a guide and use their own judgement alongside it.

as I said, I don't watch Prem football but wouldn't throw tech out of the window.

It may need more time to find its place. I'm just offering a 'patience' thought.

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 20:00 - Jul 10 with 640 viewsm14_blue

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 16:34 - Jul 10 by The_Last_Baron

Totally agree with the first 2 paragraphs.

Is the tennis point true? Never seen that before, seems incredible.
Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 20:18 - Jul 10 with 634 viewsHerbivore

Good old VAR - all 3 decisions wrong yesterday on 20:00 - Jul 10 by m14_blue

Totally agree with the first 2 paragraphs.

Is the tennis point true? Never seen that before, seems incredible.

I also wonder how they could work that out without using technology superior to hawkeye, in which case they'd just be using that as standard.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024