Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for tradespeople 10:17 - Jul 10 with 861 viewsMullet

Had a quote for some work. Decided to go with them. That’s great they say, we can do X date, can we have £150 up front by bank transfer?

Agreed all that asked for an invoice etc. Oh btw the rest will be due in cash on completion. The boss said he told you all this on the day.

The boss wasn’t the greatest talker but never mentioned this, and when I queried it and insisted on paying by transfer was told that they’d charge me VAT on top so it’d go up. These guys have excellent reviews and loads of them on multiple sites, but that’s a massive red flag right?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Question for tradespeople on 10:36 - Jul 10 with 787 viewsUB9Blue

Personally I would never pay upfront. Most trades people have accounts for material purchases and generally benefit form credit terms, if they haven't done any work then why pay upfront?
I can understand it slightly more if it was an expensive or bespoke item that you require them to source but even then most reputable companies would not ask for a deposit.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 10:37]
Question for tradespeople on 10:38 - Jul 10 with 779 viewsjeera

Yes, of course.

Why on earth would they assume the customer is going to automatically want to be complicit with them tax fiddling? This isn't one of your mates doing a job for you at the weekend for a bit of cash in hand.

How can you be assured a guarantee on the work without an invoice for the completed job? And they're not going to want to hand over an invoice for the cash payment part, surely.

Personally I would have wanted - and expected - the vat to be clear on the total of the original quote too and would have questioned that to be honest..

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Question for tradespeople on 10:40 - Jul 10 with 772 viewsMullet

Question for tradespeople on 10:36 - Jul 10 by UB9Blue

Personally I would never pay upfront. Most trades people have accounts for material purchases and generally benefit form credit terms, if they haven't done any work then why pay upfront?
I can understand it slightly more if it was an expensive or bespoke item that you require them to source but even then most reputable companies would not ask for a deposit.

Yeah, I wasn’t too bothered by the deposit but there is a very tribal Yes/No set of answers on the net when you google it. I am used to paying deposits for some things so don’t really get phased by it.

It was the insinuation I was a liar then sort of asking to get it booked in that made me think they might be dodgier than appears.

Question for tradespeople on 10:41 - Jul 10 with 763 viewsMullet

Question for tradespeople on 10:38 - Jul 10 by jeera

Yes, of course.

Why on earth would they assume the customer is going to automatically want to be complicit with them tax fiddling? This isn't one of your mates doing a job for you at the weekend for a bit of cash in hand.

How can you be assured a guarantee on the work without an invoice for the completed job? And they're not going to want to hand over an invoice for the cash payment part, surely.

Personally I would have wanted - and expected - the vat to be clear on the total of the original quote too and would have questioned that to be honest..

They didn’t send anything through yet as the bloke came out put a text through with the price etc so fleshing out the invoice today seemed like a formality.

Question for tradespeople on 10:44 - Jul 10 with 747 viewsUB9Blue

Question for tradespeople on 10:40 - Jul 10 by Mullet

Yeah, I wasn’t too bothered by the deposit but there is a very tribal Yes/No set of answers on the net when you google it. I am used to paying deposits for some things so don’t really get phased by it.

It was the insinuation I was a liar then sort of asking to get it booked in that made me think they might be dodgier than appears.

If it doesn't feel right then avoid them, they don't sound the sort of business I would give money to.
Don't forget that a lot of companies are going to be having cashflow problems and whilst its nice to help them out you have to protect your cash.
Tell them to F off on 10:45 - Jul 10 with 749 viewsDyland

Politely, or impolitely, it's up to you.

Unless they have to buy some fusspot type of material that only you would consider having that is...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Question for tradespeople on 10:51 - Jul 10 with 728 viewsjeera

Question for tradespeople on 10:41 - Jul 10 by Mullet

They didn’t send anything through yet as the bloke came out put a text through with the price etc so fleshing out the invoice today seemed like a formality.

A quote is a quote, not a quote but then also plus vat if they later decide they want more.

I would personally not let them do a thing until this is cleared up.

Above all, you want the quote in writing first. With no surprises to be added at a later date.

Edit: if you have the text then it should say x amount + vat. If it doesn't then you've been misled and I would ask for the return of the deposit and go elsewhere mate in truth.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 10:54]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Question for tradespeople on 11:00 - Jul 10 with 707 viewsMullet

Question for tradespeople on 10:51 - Jul 10 by jeera

A quote is a quote, not a quote but then also plus vat if they later decide they want more.

I would personally not let them do a thing until this is cleared up.

Above all, you want the quote in writing first. With no surprises to be added at a later date.

Edit: if you have the text then it should say x amount + vat. If it doesn't then you've been misled and I would ask for the return of the deposit and go elsewhere mate in truth.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 10:54]

They’ve not had a penny yet thankfully, it’s frustrating though as 2 people just didn’t show up to quote so we are back to square 1.

Login to get fewer ads

Question for tradespeople on 11:18 - Jul 10 with 688 viewsitfcjoe

We don't, but money up front isn't that unusual as some form of holding deposit - but needs to be on receipt of an invoice stating this - even if only a proforma. Or you need a receipt for payment.

If they are saying they want cash, and if you pay by transfer it will be extra on top then it is a cash/tax fiddle - if you try and clarify that with the boss I'm sure you will be told it is a big misunderstanding but worrying that some companies trade like this.

I'd probably avoid them, they are treating you like doing a little bit of cash work for a mate when the mate knows if any issues they'll sort - you don't have the same benefit as Joe Public

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Question for tradespeople on 12:41 - Jul 10 with 564 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

If you pay cash you will be complicit in his tax dodge.

I bet his men have been working while furloughed too.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Question for tradespeople on 12:45 - Jul 10 with 555 viewsMullet

Question for tradespeople on 11:18 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

We don't, but money up front isn't that unusual as some form of holding deposit - but needs to be on receipt of an invoice stating this - even if only a proforma. Or you need a receipt for payment.

If they are saying they want cash, and if you pay by transfer it will be extra on top then it is a cash/tax fiddle - if you try and clarify that with the boss I'm sure you will be told it is a big misunderstanding but worrying that some companies trade like this.

I'd probably avoid them, they are treating you like doing a little bit of cash work for a mate when the mate knows if any issues they'll sort - you don't have the same benefit as Joe Public

Yeah they literally just rang back out of the blue saying they'll honour the price, and when I said I'll chat to the Mrs he got arsey so I think I'll swerve them and try again.

Question for tradespeople on 12:48 - Jul 10 with 544 viewsGuthrum

Asking for money up front (e.g. to cover materials) is not unusual. I often do it if there's lots to buy or the job is a long one.

On the other hand, bumping up the price if not paid in cash is rather naughty. Up to them if they want to not declare stuff, but you the customer shouldn't be bearing the burden if you don't want to pay cash. Especially if they didn't state there was some kind of "discount" at the quoting stage.

That's not to say they don't do a good job. Altho part of the good reputation might be down to cheap price because they aren't charging VAT.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question for tradespeople on 12:56 - Jul 10 with 519 viewsGuthrum

Question for tradespeople on 10:36 - Jul 10 by UB9Blue

Not by any means all firms/tradespeople have credit accounts with suppliers.

I don't. Partly because I don't like getting stuff on credit, would rather pay and be done with it. Also my volumes are too small to really benefit from suppliers' discounts. Thirdly I don't want to be going to a builders' merchant for everything when the same item might be cheaper in Wickes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024