Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead 15:16 - Jul 10 with 4673 viewshampstead_blue

The Times page 3.

He's spot on. If the BBC put out The Office today he would have had throngs pounding down his door.

F😘CK your sensitivities. I want the likes of Gervais to have space to challenge and make us wet ourselves.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:02 - Jul 10 with 1096 viewshampstead_blue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:54 - Jul 10 by Dubtractor

You keep talking about the BBC's cancel culture, can you list maybe 5 things that they have cancelled that come under this p1ss weak claim?

Also, 'cancel culture' this is another victim like phrase from the very people that like to call people on the left a snowflake isn't it?

I'm talking about Gervais's article. Send your insults to him if you don't mind. Crickey! relax a touch.

I personally find the BBC weak. Nothing particularly dangerous or interesting has been on the R4 comedy slot or TV for a good while. Very dull.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:06 - Jul 10 with 1085 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:02 - Jul 10 by hampstead_blue

I'm talking about Gervais's article. Send your insults to him if you don't mind. Crickey! relax a touch.

I personally find the BBC weak. Nothing particularly dangerous or interesting has been on the R4 comedy slot or TV for a good while. Very dull.

What would you consider dangerous or interesting comedy?

I only ask because it's a well know fact that right wingers don't really do comedy. Plenty of quality left wingers in the comedy field but who are the Tory Boys putting forward? Jim Davidson? Roy Chubby Brown? Jethro? Slim pickings indeed.

Edit - sorry, I forgot Bernard Manning.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 20:09]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:10 - Jul 10 with 1083 viewsIllinoisblue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:33 - Jul 10 by Funge

Friends should be cancelled because it is W A N K spells sh1t.

The characters grate but there’s actually some smart and funny writing on the show.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:10 - Jul 10 with 1081 viewshampstead_blue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:06 - Jul 10 by SpruceMoose

What would you consider dangerous or interesting comedy?

I only ask because it's a well know fact that right wingers don't really do comedy. Plenty of quality left wingers in the comedy field but who are the Tory Boys putting forward? Jim Davidson? Roy Chubby Brown? Jethro? Slim pickings indeed.

Edit - sorry, I forgot Bernard Manning.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 20:09]

Do I do comedy? Hell yeah!
Am I a right winger? Nearly, maybe on most things.

I loved it when Frankie Boyle made me wee myself on that show with the bald headed Irishman.......(excuse memory, I've been rather unwell).

The show which used to be hosted by Angus Deaton.....Merton and the small Victorian one?

They make me laugh, lots.

Douglas Murray.
Spike Milligan is one of my all time heroes. I used to drive past his home all the time in Rye.

There is an Aussie chap who's made a great career in the USA.....Jim?

I do apologise for the missing names but my memory has a few gaps at present, injury.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:14 - Jul 10 with 1074 viewsHerbivore

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:36 - Jul 10 by hampstead_blue

Sorry, is this post direct to myself? It's deep in the page so not sure. I'll answer with goodwill.
If it is I then I am agreeing with RG. RG is saying that he feels hampered and lucky that he's made his money. He clearly is firing some criticism at the BBC for their wimpish behaviour to the pathetic cancel culture.
Maybe for him to be at his best he needs to go to a Netflix or other platform.

I think the BBC is pretty lame at best and seems to adopt the latest trends in wimpish behavior. They need a darn good flush out.

What is interesting is that a few in the thread want strong comedy and for words and comedy to be taken in context BUT.......when it's directed at them they cry wolf.

Herbi and Libero are all for strong words (in context) but.........well, "they don't like it up 'em".....to quote the wonderful Cpl Jones.

What the actual fuk are you even on about?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:16 - Jul 10 with 1071 viewsFunge

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:10 - Jul 10 by Illinoisblue

The characters grate but there’s actually some smart and funny writing on the show.

We've been on here a long time, you and I.

We've endured all this terrible football together.

Let's not throw it all away now over Matt LeBlanc.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:17 - Jul 10 with 1071 viewsMelford

This make me sound like an old fart but nowadays it's harder because there's people actively looking for things to be offended about, watching every word and action for some perceived slight that they can get a bandwagon going over for internet points and showing everyone what a noble person they are. It's like a competition for being the most "woke".

I've seen stuff where you have a black woman tweeting "kill all white men" followed by a load of white men in the comments replying stuff like "as a white man I agree, we have ruined our planet" "the future is back and female, I'm happy to take a back seat" and similar ar$e kissing. Then you have someone post "if a white man said kill all black women you would be a violent sexist and banned, this is a racist and violent post irrespective from which side it's coming from" followed by loads of people giving them sh*t and calling them racist for pointing out that fact.

Stuff like this, going on a Twitter crusade about how awful David Walliams' children's books are https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/david-walliams-child

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:20 - Jul 10 with 1057 viewsIllinoisblue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:16 - Jul 10 by Funge

We've been on here a long time, you and I.

We've endured all this terrible football together.

Let's not throw it all away now over Matt LeBlanc.

Sing and laugh with me! Well no one told you life was gonna be this way... clap clap clap clap

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:21 - Jul 10 with 1056 viewsDubtractor

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:02 - Jul 10 by hampstead_blue

In fairness, you literally starting this thread enthusiastically agreeing with Gervais' point, so I assumed you might have some substance to support it.

Also, I am fully relaxed, just poking some nonsense on the internet and that.

[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 20:26]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:23 - Jul 10 with 1050 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:20 - Jul 10 by Illinoisblue

Sing and laugh with me! Well no one told you life was gonna be this way... clap clap clap clap

Can you believe that tourists still go to gawp at the nondescript run of the mill apartment block in Greenwich Village that they used for those second long exterior shots? Nevermind that the whole thing was filmed in a studio in California...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:37 - Jul 10 with 1027 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:21 - Jul 10 by Dubtractor

In fairness, you literally starting this thread enthusiastically agreeing with Gervais' point, so I assumed you might have some substance to support it.

Also, I am fully relaxed, just poking some nonsense on the internet and that.

[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 20:26]

“Phased ya”
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:39 - Jul 10 with 1022 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:17 - Jul 10 by Melford

This make me sound like an old fart but nowadays it's harder because there's people actively looking for things to be offended about, watching every word and action for some perceived slight that they can get a bandwagon going over for internet points and showing everyone what a noble person they are. It's like a competition for being the most "woke".

I've seen stuff where you have a black woman tweeting "kill all white men" followed by a load of white men in the comments replying stuff like "as a white man I agree, we have ruined our planet" "the future is back and female, I'm happy to take a back seat" and similar ar$e kissing. Then you have someone post "if a white man said kill all black women you would be a violent sexist and banned, this is a racist and violent post irrespective from which side it's coming from" followed by loads of people giving them sh*t and calling them racist for pointing out that fact.

Stuff like this, going on a Twitter crusade about how awful David Walliams' children's books are https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/david-walliams-child

“Sometimes the complaints will be false”
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:41 - Jul 10 with 1015 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:14 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

What the actual fuk are you even on about?

“Ooooh, don’t you know?”
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:49 - Jul 10 with 1000 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If I remember correctly there was a lot of fuss about playing 'Fairytale of New York' by the Pogues on Gavin and Stacey...hopefully it will not get cancelled..healthy debate is ok though.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 21:06 - Jul 10 with 964 viewsMelford

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 20:39 - Jul 10 by Libero

“Sometimes the complaints will be false”

There's a whole group of people who make it their life's work in tracking down the personal information of people who have posted stuff they don't agree with and contacting their work/college/uni with the express purpose of getting them fired/kicked out. Someone shared a Facebook memory of a party they were at years ago blacked up in a MR T from the A Team outfit and there's people boasting how they'd contacted their establishment and put in a complaint and "hopefully he won't have a job tomorrow"

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 21:07 - Jul 10 with 957 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 21:06 - Jul 10 by Melford

There's a whole group of people who make it their life's work in tracking down the personal information of people who have posted stuff they don't agree with and contacting their work/college/uni with the express purpose of getting them fired/kicked out. Someone shared a Facebook memory of a party they were at years ago blacked up in a MR T from the A Team outfit and there's people boasting how they'd contacted their establishment and put in a complaint and "hopefully he won't have a job tomorrow"

Yes, I’ve read Jon Ronson’s book too.

Edit: it feels wrong not talking in office quotes now.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 21:08]
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 21:19 - Jul 10 with 929 viewsMelford

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 21:07 - Jul 10 by Libero

Yes, I’ve read Jon Ronson’s book too.

Edit: it feels wrong not talking in office quotes now.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 21:08]

Don't worry, I'm someone who's basically a chilled out entertainer.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 21:51 - Jul 10 with 898 viewsBlueBadger

Give over, you great fanny.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024