Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hang on a minute Boris 09:16 - Jul 11 with 5306 viewssolomon

Face masks in shops, ok then if we must, but how about making it official rather than some passing off the cuff comment. More worryingly is “return to the office” What if I can’t socially distance, do I then wear a face mask? One would assume “work from home if you can” is now defunct?

Getting this genie back into the bottle is harder than he thought

His mind seems to be like his hair style, sort of all over the place.

Or (as I hope) I’ve interpreted this whole completely wrong?
Hang on a minute Boris on 14:03 - Jul 12 with 1325 viewsitfcjoe

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:26 - Jul 12 by textbackup

What pisses me off the most is people can go on the piss but our kids aren’t able to attend school and learn.

Priorities - Govt chasing the ‘Super Saturday’ and pub reopening headlines rather than working out best way to kids back to school

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:16 - Jul 12 with 1255 viewsEly_Blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 14:03 - Jul 12 by itfcjoe

Priorities - Govt chasing the ‘Super Saturday’ and pub reopening headlines rather than working out best way to kids back to school

To be fair its easier to get the pubs and restaurants who have a vested financial interest in re opening to get their act in order than it is to ask teachers and their respective unions to stop arguing for long enough to get schools open safely

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:22 - Jul 12 with 1242 viewsHerbivore

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:16 - Jul 12 by Ely_Blue

To be fair its easier to get the pubs and restaurants who have a vested financial interest in re opening to get their act in order than it is to ask teachers and their respective unions to stop arguing for long enough to get schools open safely

What a load of b0llocks.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:34 - Jul 12 with 1232 viewsMullet

Or to engage your brain and stop trotting out utter nonsense. The government have been nothing but vague, reckless and inconsistent when dealing with education from the off.

Outside of my worked hours I've done an extra 10 hours or so this week alone on reopening, and I'm not even senior management. As have a handful of other colleagues, in just one school.

Teachers are generally desperate to get back, massively concerned about the gaps and ground to catch up and sick of the right wing media's hypocrisy and bullsh1t. The unions are doing everything they can to ensure people don't die both teachers and the pupils'/their extended families.

I'm assuming you've read one or more statements from the unions and seen something I've missed where the whole point of consultations and putting measures into place wasn't to "open safely"?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:41 - Jul 12 with 1223 viewsEly_Blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:34 - Jul 12 by Mullet

Or to engage your brain and stop trotting out utter nonsense. The government have been nothing but vague, reckless and inconsistent when dealing with education from the off.

Outside of my worked hours I've done an extra 10 hours or so this week alone on reopening, and I'm not even senior management. As have a handful of other colleagues, in just one school.

Teachers are generally desperate to get back, massively concerned about the gaps and ground to catch up and sick of the right wing media's hypocrisy and bullsh1t. The unions are doing everything they can to ensure people don't die both teachers and the pupils'/their extended families.

I'm assuming you've read one or more statements from the unions and seen something I've missed where the whole point of consultations and putting measures into place wasn't to "open safely"?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53072305

I didnt have to search for long

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:44 - Jul 12 with 1223 viewsMullet

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:41 - Jul 12 by Ely_Blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53072305

I didnt have to search for long

The very first sentence is

"Union leaders said it was important for children to return to school "as quickly as possible" and when "safe to do so".

It literally says it's an accusation by Tory MPs and the first quote is from an ousted Union bod slating a rival union before being contradicted by the person in charge of their old one.

Hang on a minute Boris on 06:58 - Jul 13 with 1140 viewssolomon

From my own experiences it’s very difficult to implement covid 19 plans and criteria successfully to the letter, not for one moment should anyone criticise anybody else on this matter without full exposure to the facts. It’s very easy to be judgemental based on what you don’t know rather than what you do. I suspect schools in general have found this whole thing (as we all have) very difficult and without precedent.
Hang on a minute Boris on 08:09 - Jul 13 with 1113 viewsStokieBlue

Hang on a minute Boris on 19:34 - Jul 12 by Mullet

Agree that's it's hard for the teachers and schools to implement something which is both safe and satisfies everyone.

The kids are going in for 2 hours today for the first time in 4 months to meet their new teachers and classes. They will be in close quarters to 15 other kids they might not know well and certainly haven't seen for 4 months. I understand that they need to meet their new class but how is it that this could be deemed acceptably safe whilst anything else is unsafe and thus they have been off for 4 months now?

Just seems a mess of contradictions, mainly from the government but some from the schools as well. If this is unsafe it could easily be done over Google Meets. If it's safe then they could have gone back for a few days a week or an afternoon or something much sooner.

They are of course hugely looking forward to going in.

SB
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 8:10]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:10 - Jul 13 with 1112 viewsgiant_stow

Hang on a minute Boris on 13:15 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

I think also some of the mass outbreaks in places such as meat factories where temperatures are kept low suggests that it may favour colder temperatures. Still hard to know at this stage as it's a new virus.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/10/coronavirus-thrives-4degc-scientists

Could only read the headline and 1st para, but some study says the virus prefers it cold and doens't like ultraviolet.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:12 - Jul 13 with 1107 viewsStokieBlue

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:10 - Jul 13 by giant_stow

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/10/coronavirus-thrives-4degc-scientists

Could only read the headline and 1st para, but some study says the virus prefers it cold and doens't like ultraviolet.

Fair enough, good there is specific research on C19 now rather than general coronovirus research.

Also a bit of a worry given the heat hasn't slowed it down much in a lot of places. It's 30C+ in Florida and has been for weeks yet they had the record number of US cases yesterday and it certainly doesn't fall into the "densely packed" or "poor healthcare" arguments cited about Peru.

A real worry come winter.

SB

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:21 - Jul 13 with 1101 viewsgiant_stow

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:12 - Jul 13 by StokieBlue

Fair enough, good there is specific research on C19 now rather than general coronovirus research.

Also a bit of a worry given the heat hasn't slowed it down much in a lot of places. It's 30C+ in Florida and has been for weeks yet they had the record number of US cases yesterday and it certainly doesn't fall into the "densely packed" or "poor healthcare" arguments cited about Peru.

SB

Don;t get me wrong mr - I don't understand how they state that when as you said earlier, the expeirences of hot countries seems to say otherwise

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:23 - Jul 13 with 1098 viewsgiant_stow

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:09 - Jul 13 by StokieBlue

Agree that's it's hard for the teachers and schools to implement something which is both safe and satisfies everyone.

The kids are going in for 2 hours today for the first time in 4 months to meet their new teachers and classes. They will be in close quarters to 15 other kids they might not know well and certainly haven't seen for 4 months. I understand that they need to meet their new class but how is it that this could be deemed acceptably safe whilst anything else is unsafe and thus they have been off for 4 months now?

Just seems a mess of contradictions, mainly from the government but some from the schools as well. If this is unsafe it could easily be done over Google Meets. If it's safe then they could have gone back for a few days a week or an afternoon or something much sooner.

SB

The govt seems to have decided that we don;t need soical distancing in schools - hey presto, everyone back. Class-wide bubbles in schools with multiple siblings? Its bollox really.

I'm so desperate that I'll take that, but while aware that there's no risk reduction there to speak of.

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:54 - Jul 13 with 1059 viewsRyorry

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:21 - Jul 13 by giant_stow

Don;t get me wrong mr - I don't understand how they state that when as you said earlier, the expeirences of hot countries seems to say otherwise

Back in March or April I posted a research article (probably from New Scientist as that's my main Covid_19 feed) suggesting that it's *humidity* that's the key factor. Haven't got time to search for it now - maybe later.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:40 - Jul 15 with 973 viewsStokieBlue

SB

So after having the transition days for next year the issues become apparently. Staggered arrival and collection times for different year groups with no hanging around at the gates and no breakfast or after-school clubs.

This means parents with kids in multiple years have to somehow drop kids off at different times and collect them at different times whilst possibly being back at work. I know it's hard for the schools but absolutely no thought has been given to parents and how they are supposed to implement the rules. The clubs are vital for parents that work who can't get there at one standardised drop-off/collection time let alone two totally different ones.

Everything is built on the assumption that parents can drop everything and do whatever the school deems is required, although to be fair there was an element of that at the school long before C19 came along.

I know there is no easy solution but it's going to be tricky.

SB

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:53 - Jul 15 with 967 viewsMullet

SB

I think I skirted this thread after the stupidity above. However, there are lots of logistical issues (not all of which I can go into without getting into trouble) but the main one is that in many schools, kids will be kept in one area and teachers moved about.

I and most other staff can see 3 -5 sets of different children per day, whilst moving from room to room and hoping our colleagues all following protocols correctly. There is an assumed goodwill that teachers will open themselves up to as much of the risk voluntarily there which seems to be missed by the government and media.

Our lunches are being slashed and breaks too. It'll be the bare legal limit to facilitate this and getting kids moved safely and timely from lessons, to dinner and in and out of buildings. This might be for months if not longer. That's something I've seen reported across lots of schools so will presumably be a fairly universal picture.

There is nothing to stop kids mixing before and after school, this is all about limiting transmission as much as possible. The guidance means management responsible for risk assessments are doing everything based on judgements and interpretation. Some schools will get this spot on others, wildly wrong and that comes in part down to support from pupils and parents.

I suspect now we will be allowed/required to teach in masks which is not doing anything to help allay anxiety amongst people either. There is also going to be massive issues around behaviour and what staff do if a child refuses to behave/leave a classroom/follow instructions down to simple things like allowing children to use toilets and wash hands safely.

My worry is that nationally the "local lockdown" is to ensure the government can keep the country open as much as possible and you'll see communities in and out of lockdown because of schools and other large institutions, whilst the rest of the country gets on.

That produces huge inequalities in every sense, the poorer areas with less resources will be hit harder and more often judging by what we've seen happening already. What this does to the future of exams and other stresses on education who knows?

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:10 - Jul 15 with 949 viewsgordon

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:12 - Jul 13 by StokieBlue

SB

There's been lots of (quite critical) discussion about research on the seasonality of the virus amongst and between epidemiologists and ecologists.

The general feeling is that because transmission of the virus is overwhelmingly taking place in crowded, indoor spaces (and with the virus finding a new host almost immediately after being expelled from the previous) the fact that ambient temperature influences how long the virus survives is not going to be directly relevant to transmission risk.

But if the virus is still prevalent in winter, there are various reasons why outbreaks could be much more severe, associated with immune systems/Vitamin D, changed behaviours, the possibility of flu passing through the population as well etc.
Hang on a minute Boris on 09:58 - Jul 15 with 931 viewsRadlett_blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:53 - Jul 15 by Mullet

I think I skirted this thread after the stupidity above. However, there are lots of logistical issues (not all of which I can go into without getting into trouble) but the main one is that in many schools, kids will be kept in one area and teachers moved about.

I and most other staff can see 3 -5 sets of different children per day, whilst moving from room to room and hoping our colleagues all following protocols correctly. There is an assumed goodwill that teachers will open themselves up to as much of the risk voluntarily there which seems to be missed by the government and media.

Our lunches are being slashed and breaks too. It'll be the bare legal limit to facilitate this and getting kids moved safely and timely from lessons, to dinner and in and out of buildings. This might be for months if not longer. That's something I've seen reported across lots of schools so will presumably be a fairly universal picture.

There is nothing to stop kids mixing before and after school, this is all about limiting transmission as much as possible. The guidance means management responsible for risk assessments are doing everything based on judgements and interpretation. Some schools will get this spot on others, wildly wrong and that comes in part down to support from pupils and parents.

I suspect now we will be allowed/required to teach in masks which is not doing anything to help allay anxiety amongst people either. There is also going to be massive issues around behaviour and what staff do if a child refuses to behave/leave a classroom/follow instructions down to simple things like allowing children to use toilets and wash hands safely.

My worry is that nationally the "local lockdown" is to ensure the government can keep the country open as much as possible and you'll see communities in and out of lockdown because of schools and other large institutions, whilst the rest of the country gets on.

That produces huge inequalities in every sense, the poorer areas with less resources will be hit harder and more often judging by what we've seen happening already. What this does to the future of exams and other stresses on education who knows?

A considered and thoughtful post from an industry insider.
However, the difficult question is, what would you do (in general terms, rather than the very tricky detail) if you were in charge of school policy? Keeping schools closed seems the worst option to me.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:05 - Jul 15 with 926 viewsStokieBlue

Thanks Mullet, all very fair and reasonable. Fully understand it's complex and the schools are trying their very best to get things going.

I don't think it covers my point though that of course the schools are doing what they can but it's going to be extremely hard for parents to meet the requirements if they are working and don't have an understanding work arrangement. 4 separate timings for 2 kids all during the day rather than before or after work hours is going to be simply impossible for some and given the government have said there will be fines for non-attendance it's problematic. It's not specifically affecting me, just think it could affect a lot of parents.

I am not sure there is a solution past what is being proposed to be honest as you have essentially said in your post.

On a tangential note, do you know the reasoning behind the Scottish decision to return to school with no social distancing measures? Don't they have the same teaching union and thus the same concerns? Have they simply been overridden by the Scottish government?

SB

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:52 - Jul 15 with 915 viewsjaykay

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/13-kids-self-isolate-after-coronavirus-case-aldeburg

now a few on social media, reckon its the schools fault for not enforcing social distancing.
the schools and teachers will never win. like on here ,some hinting the unions and teachers are stopping the schools opening.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Hang on a minute Boris on 11:43 - Jul 15 with 896 viewsMullet

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:58 - Jul 15 by Radlett_blue

A considered and thoughtful post from an industry insider.
However, the difficult question is, what would you do (in general terms, rather than the very tricky detail) if you were in charge of school policy? Keeping schools closed seems the worst option to me.

The big problem is, is that the government announce these "grand ideas" with all the populism and soundbites they can and it's the first we hear of it.

My mate's tattoo studio was the same. I rang him last week and he said the first anyone in the industry knew was in the papers. He's now in a mad rush to do the place up to code and go the extra mile. He's a small one unit business catering to a niche clientele.

To have the same sort of approach to education is baffling.

Regardless, schools have been open throughout. The demand for vulnerable/key worker kids has never waned, in fact more have been coming in and there were lots of parents chancing their arm so we could babysit their kids effectively.

That was all in line with policy and government orders.

The big problem is there has been no joined up thinking or phasing of anything. I said from the start and was rounded on, that Boris was imprecise with his language either intentionally or through incompetence. They want only applause this lot.

It feels like they have had no interest in sending kids back in stages and only paid lip service to it when it looked desperately like that might have been the only option. If we opened with the oldest and youngest first, that still allows some flexibility all round and a good test case to see how wider opening works out.

I think I'd have favoured that if it was up to me as you don't get the cold water shock of "right everyone back at it now" and the ensuing confusion that will cause.

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:23 - Jul 15 with 879 viewsMullet

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:05 - Jul 15 by StokieBlue

Thanks Mullet, all very fair and reasonable. Fully understand it's complex and the schools are trying their very best to get things going.

I don't think it covers my point though that of course the schools are doing what they can but it's going to be extremely hard for parents to meet the requirements if they are working and don't have an understanding work arrangement. 4 separate timings for 2 kids all during the day rather than before or after work hours is going to be simply impossible for some and given the government have said there will be fines for non-attendance it's problematic. It's not specifically affecting me, just think it could affect a lot of parents.

I am not sure there is a solution past what is being proposed to be honest as you have essentially said in your post.

On a tangential note, do you know the reasoning behind the Scottish decision to return to school with no social distancing measures? Don't they have the same teaching union and thus the same concerns? Have they simply been overridden by the Scottish government?

SB

I agree, but the onus should be put on everyone to get back, bosses included. There is this prevailing attitude that schools are simply there to allow parents to work by taking care of so many different areas of care and that isn't how it should be.

We need to examine these attitudes in my opinion. There are lots of areas of education where too many parents are encouraged to no longer take any responsibility at all, let alone the children themselves and this ties in here too in my opinion. In September we are likely to see differences of starts and ends around 30 mins or so in most places after all.

Too many schools have kids ferried to and from the door when they really needn't be for example, most kids who walk to school do so out of poverty (or for a few proximity) in a lot of areas. This fear that teenagers can't walk to and from school fuels a lot of expectations around childminding for want of a better word. There possibly needs to be an examination of what poses a greater risk I guess.

Lockdown has surely proven that the old 9-5 is up for negotiation more than ever, and I think we need that to push some changes in society.

Extra-curricular will be run where possible, but the government obviously want bubbles, so having it both ways means that parents and workplaces will need to do more.

As for Scotland their education system seems utterly alien to me. There is perhaps an argument about how well Scotland has managed the virus and population make ups, but in truth I don't know. I'll ask around for you. This might shed some light on it, as it appears they are not as far down the road as suggested https://www.eis.org.uk/Coronavirus/Update2606

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:38 - Jul 15 with 876 viewsRadlett_blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:23 - Jul 15 by Mullet

I agree, but the onus should be put on everyone to get back, bosses included. There is this prevailing attitude that schools are simply there to allow parents to work by taking care of so many different areas of care and that isn't how it should be.

We need to examine these attitudes in my opinion. There are lots of areas of education where too many parents are encouraged to no longer take any responsibility at all, let alone the children themselves and this ties in here too in my opinion. In September we are likely to see differences of starts and ends around 30 mins or so in most places after all.

Too many schools have kids ferried to and from the door when they really needn't be for example, most kids who walk to school do so out of poverty (or for a few proximity) in a lot of areas. This fear that teenagers can't walk to and from school fuels a lot of expectations around childminding for want of a better word. There possibly needs to be an examination of what poses a greater risk I guess.

Lockdown has surely proven that the old 9-5 is up for negotiation more than ever, and I think we need that to push some changes in society.

Extra-curricular will be run where possible, but the government obviously want bubbles, so having it both ways means that parents and workplaces will need to do more.

As for Scotland their education system seems utterly alien to me. There is perhaps an argument about how well Scotland has managed the virus and population make ups, but in truth I don't know. I'll ask around for you. This might shed some light on it, as it appears they are not as far down the road as suggested https://www.eis.org.uk/Coronavirus/Update2606

Yes, I've notice the culture whereby most parents think their children need to be ferried to the door every time - not just to and from school. While at what age you let your children walk themselves matters, children need to develop some independence and occasionally have some tough experiences of real life.All part of the learning curve and growing up.
The culture of many parents thinking it is their "right" to drop off their children right outside the school gates also leads to many associated traffic issues.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:41 - Jul 15 with 870 viewsuefacup81

Mandatory or not, it won't matter a jot if my experiences in supermarkets are anything to go by.

With little or no enforcement, and the supermarkets seeming to take a standpoint that it's a free-for-all once you're in through the doors, those who choose to follow the letter of the law will be at the mercy of those who simply couldn't give a fig (in my experience, pretty much exclusively members of the 50-80 brigade).
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 13:16]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Hang on a minute Boris on 13:02 - Jul 15 with 857 viewsStokieBlue

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:23 - Jul 15 by Mullet

It seems most of those things are secondary-school centric? I was referring to primary schools - I should have been clearer - apologies.

For instance primary school kids walking to school on their own in central London isn't really that feasible in many situations.

Whether 9-5 is up for negotiation is entirely dependent on the job someone is doing.

I know it's difficult, I think that schools are certainly doing their best but it's going to be very hard for everyone. It's entirely geared towards the parents either not working or working from home. Given this the government pushing for people to get back in the office whilst schools are working to timetable where parents aren't in the office is just another example of the disjointed approach from the government.

Thanks for the Scotland info.

SB

Hang on a minute Boris on 13:08 - Jul 15 with 853 viewsEly_Blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:41 - Jul 15 by uefacup81

Mandatory or not, it won't matter a jot if my experiences in supermarkets are anything to go by.

With little or no enforcement, and the supermarkets seeming to take a standpoint that it's a free-for-all once you're in through the doors, those who choose to follow the letter of the law will be at the mercy of those who simply couldn't give a fig (in my experience, pretty much exclusively members of the 50-80 brigade).
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 13:16]

Well fck me that’s a very broad sweeping statement about every 50-80 year old in the country, you sure you don’t want to throw a racist comment in there along with the ageist one?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024