Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? 09:26 - Jul 12 with 2019 viewsChrisd

It has been a really good contest with the WI and a very tight affair. It seemed like the wicket was getting more tricky to bat on yesterday the longer the day went on, providing the bowlers put the ball in the right place. England won't be batting long this morning, I reckon we'll set them 180 to chase down, but that might prove just enough. It's certainly won't be an easy run chase for the boys from the Caribbean. England to win by 25 runs.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 9:44]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:05 - Jul 12 with 1965 viewsAce_High1

We really need to up our bowling if we are to win. I think we have been poor in all areas of our game and expect to see WI win this one.

Need to see some pace and effort from Archer and Wood today.
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:07 - Jul 12 with 1957 viewsIpswichKnight

Currently got to make the Windies slight favourites, anything over 250 and England would win, it’s not a minefield.... yet! Crawley and Stokes proved if you get in you can score runs. England have to bowl better and attack the stumps.

Think there might be 3/4 changes for the next test.

Burns
Crawley
Root
Lawrence
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Bess
Broad
Archer
Anderson

Manchester should be a good quick pitch so might want to look at another one of our growing list of young quicks in Robinson, Stone and Mahmoud.
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:08 - Jul 12 with 1950 viewsHerbivore

Windies for me. Their tails are up and we won't get enough runs on the board.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:14 - Jul 12 with 1949 viewsAce_High1

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:07 - Jul 12 by IpswichKnight

Currently got to make the Windies slight favourites, anything over 250 and England would win, it’s not a minefield.... yet! Crawley and Stokes proved if you get in you can score runs. England have to bowl better and attack the stumps.

Burns
Crawley
Root
Lawrence
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Bess
Broad
Archer
Anderson

Manchester should be a good quick pitch so might want to look at another one of our growing list of young quicks in Robinson, Stone and Mahmoud.

No chance, it will be two changes, Root for Denly, Broad for Wood.
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:19 - Jul 12 with 1945 viewsBrianTablet

Windies by 7 wickets.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:29 - Jul 12 with 1930 viewsRomeo4

England battled hard yesterday and were looking like going onto the last day as favourites. The late collapse has swung momentum back in West Indies favour.

As usual Jimmy is key for us. He will keep things tight I’m sure, just depends whether he can get the ball to swing at all. If he does it gives us a chance. If not I think the West Indies will chase 180ish and win with 5 wickets down.
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:55 - Jul 12 with 1914 viewshampstead_blue

Yesterday was wonderful.

Attrition, goobers (stupid errors), effort, everything you want from a test match save a 20m beer snake in the crowd!

I still think we are slight faves. If we can get Braithwaite early, he's their adhesion, we can stir some panic.

Can't wait for Pope to mature. He makes batting, as does Stokes, look too easy. Us mortals have to dream!

Denley is shot. Crawley showed a great pace to his shot making and run scoring. Looks very composed indeed.

I'd still have Foakes as my keeper. Buttler looks like he needs a rest.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 11:36 - Jul 12 with 1895 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:55 - Jul 12 by hampstead_blue

Yesterday was wonderful.

Attrition, goobers (stupid errors), effort, everything you want from a test match save a 20m beer snake in the crowd!

I still think we are slight faves. If we can get Braithwaite early, he's their adhesion, we can stir some panic.

Can't wait for Pope to mature. He makes batting, as does Stokes, look too easy. Us mortals have to dream!

Denley is shot. Crawley showed a great pace to his shot making and run scoring. Looks very composed indeed.

I'd still have Foakes as my keeper. Buttler looks like he needs a rest.

I don't know, I like Foakes and think maybe he's the best wicket keeper but I think Buttler batting at 7 is such an asset, especially with Pope a proper number 6 ahead of him.

Nice problem to have, I guess.

Anyway, come on Archer - dig in!
Login to get fewer ads

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 12:38 - Jul 12 with 1857 viewsChrisd

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 10:07 - Jul 12 by IpswichKnight

Burns
Crawley
Root
Lawrence
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Bess
Broad
Archer
Anderson

Drop Sibley? He’s starting to form a really good partnership with Burns at the top of the order. I can see Root in for Denly and Foakes for Buttler though.

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 12:43 - Jul 12 with 1850 viewsAce_High1

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 12:38 - Jul 12 by Chrisd

Drop Sibley? He’s starting to form a really good partnership with Burns at the top of the order. I can see Root in for Denly and Foakes for Buttler though.

Agree on Sibley he will play the whole summer.

No Broad for you?

Buttler is part of the leadership group (VC for this match), no way he is getting dropped just yet. He will never be consistent or have the best average but is the type of player that every now and again will put in a performance. To be at his best though he needs the rest to bat better, we need Buttler coming in at 300-5, not 150-5.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 12:43]
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 13:22 - Jul 12 with 1816 viewsfranz_tyson

Buttler looks tidy enough behind the stumps and did make, at least, 35 runs in the first innings. I’d keep him although I like Foakes.

No-brainer with Denly. Give him some credit- he does provide a bit of stability in that he absorbs a fair amount of deliveries, but can’t get out of first gear and I feel bogs down the innings. Easy one Root in for Denly and probably Broad in for Wood. Old Trafford appears to be a fast track though and i can’t help feel they got the horses for courses decision wrong with Broad and Wood.
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 13:52 - Jul 12 with 1791 viewsIpswichKnight

Sibley keeps getting out caught down the leg side, something like 4 times in last 3 tests now, that’s teams working him out, 3/4 balls outside off then one aimed at leg stump with leg slip and leg gully waiting.
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 14:09 - Jul 12 with 1778 viewsChrisd

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 13:52 - Jul 12 by IpswichKnight

Sibley keeps getting out caught down the leg side, something like 4 times in last 3 tests now, that’s teams working him out, 3/4 balls outside off then one aimed at leg stump with leg slip and leg gully waiting.

That's something he'll need to work on like he did correcting himself from the first innings dismissal. However, he's no different from any test batsmen from any country around the world, they all have deficiencies, it's that willingness to adapt that's important. He shows great patience and a strong mentality, he's certainly one to stick with. He's a throwback to the Boycott era, he hates to give his wicket away.

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 14:20 - Jul 12 with 1769 viewsRomeo4

This is warming up nicely. Still feel W Indies are marginal favourites as they only really need 1 decent partnership but in Archer, Jimmy & particularly Stokes we have players who have a tendency to find a way and make things happen.

Proper test cricket this. Listening to TMS it’s easy to forget that there’s no crowd in there.

Come on England!
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 15:44 - Jul 12 with 1731 viewsgainsboroughblue

Feels like it's running away from us a fraction.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 16:25 - Jul 12 with 1701 viewsShawsey

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 15:44 - Jul 12 by gainsboroughblue

Feels like it's running away from us a fraction.

Only 55 needed. the Windies have this in the bag. Deserve the win. Played the more positive cricket. Changes needed for 2nd test.
Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 16:53 - Jul 12 with 1685 viewsgainsboroughblue

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 16:25 - Jul 12 by Shawsey

Only 55 needed. the Windies have this in the bag. Deserve the win. Played the more positive cricket. Changes needed for 2nd test.

Especially if we keep overstepping when we 'take a wicket'.

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 11:14 - Jul 13 with 1566 viewsChrisd

A little disappointing after getting them 27-3, but credit where credit is due. Nevertheless, England certainly have a few questions to answer regarding selection for the next test on Thursday. I seem in the minority reading comments online this morning, but I'm liking the look of Burns, Sibley and Crawley at the top of the order, it's showing potential. We just need to bat better as a collective unit instead of these regular collapses that modern England test teams seem to have when put under pressure.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 12:55]

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 11:18 - Jul 13 with 1562 viewsgainsboroughblue

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 11:14 - Jul 13 by Chrisd

A little disappointing after getting them 27-3, but credit where credit is due. Nevertheless, England certainly have a few questions to answer regarding selection for the next test on Thursday. I seem in the minority reading comments online this morning, but I'm liking the look of Burns, Sibley and Crawley at the top of the order, it's showing potential. We just need to bat better as a collective unit instead of these regular collapses that modern England test teams seem to have when put under pressure.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 12:55]

Even aside from the omission of Broad and the decision at the toss (which I was dubious about from the off), it was that Saturday afternoon we lost that game. We got in a position where we looked like we were going to build a strong lead and blew it.

There seems to be a bit of complacency still when it comes to facing the WI in this country, but they are developing into a decent side again, which for the game of cricket, is great news.

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 11:23 - Jul 13 with 1555 viewsSteve_M

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 11:18 - Jul 13 by gainsboroughblue

Even aside from the omission of Broad and the decision at the toss (which I was dubious about from the off), it was that Saturday afternoon we lost that game. We got in a position where we looked like we were going to build a strong lead and blew it.

There seems to be a bit of complacency still when it comes to facing the WI in this country, but they are developing into a decent side again, which for the game of cricket, is great news.

Yes, the last hour on Saturday was disappointing and so was failing to take decent chances yesterday when it might have counted. WI at 100/6 or so would have been a far harder prospect. That said, WI batted well Blackwood especially and it was an enjoyable Test match.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 12:51 - Jul 13 with 1532 viewsChrisd

Whose winning the first test today in the cricket? on 11:18 - Jul 13 by gainsboroughblue

Personally, I'm pleased that the WI now seem to have a competitive test playing side after such a long period of underachievement. It's terrific for test match cricket. Their seam attack is very decent and is only going to get better the longer they play together.

Agree about your Saturday afternoon evaluation Gainsboroughblue. The batting collapses, from positions of strength, are happening too often now for them to be a slight issue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024