Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Space stuff - comet Neowise 10:02 - Jul 13 with 628 viewsGeoffSentence

For them that like this sort of stuff here's a picture of Comet Neowise taken from my back garden. This was just taken with my camera phone, no telescope or top notch DSLR photography. It is a single exposure, no stacking or fancy stuff going on. Although the image of the comet is small, given that I just pointed and clicked I am pretty happy with it.

You might have to search for it, the comet is just right of centre.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:05 - Jul 13 with 613 viewsStokieBlue

Great picture, especially considering no telescope was used.

Not been much fanfare about this comet.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:05 - Jul 13 with 613 viewsSteve_M

Nice, it comes out well on your photo. I need to have a look, presume it's quite late UK time though?

Had you seen this on BBC?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-53383007

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:06 - Jul 13 with 602 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cool!

I'll make the effort to try and see this the next clear night that's forecast.

How can I see Comet Neowise?
The best way to see the comet is to look for the constellation known as The Plough or The Big Dipper.

You will need to get up early — in mid-July Neowise is most visible around 80 minutes before sunrise, so shortly after 3.30am.

On a clear night, if you are in an area with little light pollution, you should be able to see the comet if you look eastwards towards The Plough, about 10 degrees above the horizon.

Space.com advises: “Your clenched fist held at arm’s length measures approximately 10 degrees in width. So, on these three mornings, the head of Comet Neowise will appear about ‘one fist’ up from the north-east horizon.”

The comet passes closest to Earth on 23 July, when it will be below and just to the right of The Plough.

On 25 July it will be directly under it, before continuing to move west and slightly upwards.

You do not need binoculars to see the comet, though they will enhance the view.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/comet-neowise-tracker-when-comet-visible-uk-july-202

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:11 - Jul 13 with 587 viewsGeoffSentence

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:05 - Jul 13 by Steve_M

Nice, it comes out well on your photo. I need to have a look, presume it's quite late UK time though?

It wasn't that late, it's visible in the North-West, with binoculars, from about 11PM, I think I took that shot at about midnight.

It is the first comet I have seen in all its glory, I missed Halle-Bopp, and I was quite blown away when I saw it through my monocular because of just how cometty it looks.

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:12 - Jul 13 with 578 viewsSwansea_Blue

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:11 - Jul 13 by GeoffSentence

It wasn't that late, it's visible in the North-West, with binoculars, from about 11PM, I think I took that shot at about midnight.

It is the first comet I have seen in all its glory, I missed Halle-Bopp, and I was quite blown away when I saw it through my monocular because of just how cometty it looks.

That's good, as I wasn't looking forward to getting up at 3 am.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:16 - Jul 13 with 572 viewsNthQldITFC

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:05 - Jul 13 by Steve_M

That article just goes to sure how good those old neolithic planners were, compared to the absolute shower we have today. The comet is clearly going to land bang in the middle of the stone circle, all of 10,000 or so years AFTER it was designed. #worldBeating.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:16 - Jul 13 with 572 viewsGeoffSentence

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:05 - Jul 13 by StokieBlue

Great picture, especially considering no telescope was used.

Not been much fanfare about this comet.

SB

Yep, no telescope, though I did invoke the digital zoom on the camera phone. That is about 4x zoom.

I have been looking at it through a monocular and a spotting scope, haven't got my big scope out to look yet. The field of view using the monocular has given the best views because you get a bit of background in. The scope gives more detail of the comet, but I quite like having the background sky and horizon in view too.

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:24 - Jul 13 with 555 viewsNthQldITFC

Space stuff - comet Neowise on 10:16 - Jul 13 by NthQldITFC

That article just goes to sure how good those old neolithic planners were, compared to the absolute shower we have today. The comet is clearly going to land bang in the middle of the stone circle, all of 10,000 or so years AFTER it was designed. #worldBeating.

Sorry I've just realised that is absolute rot! The 'tail' indicates the position of the sun, not the direction of travel. However, does that not mean that the neo-liths knew BOTH the position of the comet AND the position of the sun 10,000 years in advance. #muddled #beStricter #notMandatory

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024