Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players lockdown training regimes 11:04 - Jul 13 with 540 viewsJDB23

Does anyone know of the kind of training the club has assigned to players since they have been off? From my point of view this has been a golden opportunity which I hope they haven't missed.

How often in a footballer's career do they get 3-6 months to fully focus only on strength and conditioning? No football drills, shooting practise, tactical preparation etc. Surely with the injuries we have sustained over the past few years it would be a good idea for the players to really strengthen their joints/tendons/ligaments etc. Not to mention how much we get bullied on the pitch. If every player came back with a squat/deadlift 1RM 20kg+ higher than at the start of lockdown, that can only be a good thing no?

I expect the club will have instructed them to just run laps around the northgate track to maintain cardio fitness like Jon Nolan though. Interested in getting other people's thoughts on this and counter arguments.
Players lockdown training regimes on 11:05 - Jul 13 with 533 viewsKieran_Knows

The first team were told to 'keep active'. True story.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Players lockdown training regimes on 11:06 - Jul 13 with 529 viewsitfcjoe

They all had a spin bike delivered which club borrowed from the spin studio at greshams so susepct that has formed the basis of their cardio work

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Players lockdown training regimes on 11:10 - Jul 13 with 491 viewsMullet

I doubt 1RM is an ideal marker to base training around for a sport where you're clocking up kms per game and need to be focused on agility and changes of speed.

I remember talking about whether kettlebells had made it into football years ago on here and saw a Prem player using them and prowlers on twitter recently. So I'd hope that we were looking at plyometrics and stuff like that over bodybuilding protocols.

If anything high rep bodyweight and cardio splits would be better I'd have thought.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Players lockdown training regimes on 11:22 - Jul 13 with 467 viewsJDB23

Players lockdown training regimes on 11:10 - Jul 13 by Mullet

I doubt 1RM is an ideal marker to base training around for a sport where you're clocking up kms per game and need to be focused on agility and changes of speed.

I remember talking about whether kettlebells had made it into football years ago on here and saw a Prem player using them and prowlers on twitter recently. So I'd hope that we were looking at plyometrics and stuff like that over bodybuilding protocols.

If anything high rep bodyweight and cardio splits would be better I'd have thought.

I agree with those things in regards to general training for a footballer, and you are right that 1RM isn't really relevant to the basic technicalities of the game, I wouldn't be suggesting this type of training during a normal season.

I just think given the time off, adding some strength to the body would be beneficial. You can still do the cardio side of things on top of that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024