Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Football Manager nerds 13:53 - Jul 13 with 17275 viewstractordownsouth

Haven't played properly for a while and got a few days off work... I somehow managed to delete my Town save so I'll get going with a new one. Any good ideas for teams to start a save with? Preferably football league or foreign teams.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:01 - Jul 13 with 5077 viewsLibero

I'm in the middle of my greatest ever save, so captivating that I actually didn't bother getting FM20.

In my 20 odd years of playing different versions of CM/FM I'd never had an invincible season, on this save I finally managed it, winning the league as FC Utrecht in the Dutch top division.

I came super close to repeating the feat in the Premier League 2/3 seasons later with Chelsea, only to lose on the final day at Carrow Road :'(

Any way, after a jaunt around Europe leaving Chelsea for a second spell at Real Madrid and leaving Madrid for a crack at the Celtic job, I returned to Chelsea and not only managed to get my second ever invincible season but for the first time ever I won every competition I competed in.
Again, 20 odd years playing the game and I'd never managed it before.

I used to lose interest once there were lots of regens in the game, but I'm at the point now where the 16 year olds from when I started the save are now retiring! Ethan Ampadu is one of my U18's coaches.

It's 2040 in game so I'm 52, I'm thinking I'll keep it going until I hit my 70's then take it season by season. Once I "retire" I'll consider purchasing the latest copy and starting a fresh :')

I talk about the save in a bit of depth in this thread...
Football Manager - Longest ever game? by Dubtractor 7 Dec 2017 21:52
I once made it to 2037 before losing interest, but this chap takes it to the next level.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2017/12/longest-ever-football-manager-game-reaches-season-221-and-nearly-700-trophies-504990

Can anyone come close to this?

I've since gone on to return to Madrid, have a spell at Celtic and return to Chelsea again.
Interested in managing at Ajax and Barcelona before I retire.

I'd probably also like another crack at the World Cup with England, finish up with a 3rd spell at Ipswich hopefully?
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 14:13]
FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:19 - Jul 13 with 5030 viewsKieran_Knows

I've mentioned several times before, but I tend to manage in Europe's lesser nations. Have had very good saves with FC Luzern in Switzerland before, Austria Vienna in Austria (obvs) and PSV in Holland. Aim is to try build the leagues rep up, as well as taking charge of the respective national sides and seeing where I can take them also.

Spent most of FM20 playing as PSV, but after a 12 year save, it got a tad boring. So I have started with Austria Vienna and currently in my 2nd season.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:23 - Jul 13 with 5010 viewsSwansea_Blue

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:01 - Jul 13 by Libero

I'm in the middle of my greatest ever save, so captivating that I actually didn't bother getting FM20.

In my 20 odd years of playing different versions of CM/FM I'd never had an invincible season, on this save I finally managed it, winning the league as FC Utrecht in the Dutch top division.

I came super close to repeating the feat in the Premier League 2/3 seasons later with Chelsea, only to lose on the final day at Carrow Road :'(

Any way, after a jaunt around Europe leaving Chelsea for a second spell at Real Madrid and leaving Madrid for a crack at the Celtic job, I returned to Chelsea and not only managed to get my second ever invincible season but for the first time ever I won every competition I competed in.
Again, 20 odd years playing the game and I'd never managed it before.

I used to lose interest once there were lots of regens in the game, but I'm at the point now where the 16 year olds from when I started the save are now retiring! Ethan Ampadu is one of my U18's coaches.

It's 2040 in game so I'm 52, I'm thinking I'll keep it going until I hit my 70's then take it season by season. Once I "retire" I'll consider purchasing the latest copy and starting a fresh :')

I talk about the save in a bit of depth in this thread...
Football Manager - Longest ever game? by Dubtractor 7 Dec 2017 21:52
I once made it to 2037 before losing interest, but this chap takes it to the next level.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2017/12/longest-ever-football-manager-game-reaches-season-221-and-nearly-700-trophies-504990

Can anyone come close to this?

I've since gone on to return to Madrid, have a spell at Celtic and return to Chelsea again.
Interested in managing at Ajax and Barcelona before I retire.

I'd probably also like another crack at the World Cup with England, finish up with a 3rd spell at Ipswich hopefully?
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 14:13]

Is that FM19 then? I tried the demo for FM20 but couldn't get on with it. It's about a decade since I stopped playing as it was getting too addictive. I'm not sure I've got the attention span anmore, or maybe I needed more time to get over the hump and for it to become addictive again. Who knows, but it wasn't doing it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:30 - Jul 13 with 4998 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:23 - Jul 13 by Swansea_Blue

Is that FM19 then? I tried the demo for FM20 but couldn't get on with it. It's about a decade since I stopped playing as it was getting too addictive. I'm not sure I've got the attention span anmore, or maybe I needed more time to get over the hump and for it to become addictive again. Who knows, but it wasn't doing it.

Yes, mate, still rocking '19.

I tend to play when the bairn's in bed and the wife puts something on TV that I've no interest in, but I have to admit that I do still find it quite addictive and sometimes have to just give it a rest for a few weeks.

I've developed training schemes, tactics and even throw in and set piece routines across this 20 year save that I'd never previously even considered.
I think the first time I made a specific throw in routine I must have nabbed 6/7 goals that season alone from the scenario!
Every time I think clubs are getting a bit wise to my set up I'll tweak it.

I've played a variety of shapes across all the clubs I've managed, but generally all my teams have played a fast attacking brand of football, committing full blooded challenges regularly to the point where everywhere I've been the press have branded my teams "dirty" and I get the "Libero wouldn't send his players out to hurt the opposition" story on repeat.

I'm always bringing young players through, I've a lad in my Chelsea team that I brought through as a 16 year old impact sub in my Utrecht invincibles team, he's now 28 and is a valuable squad player for me that's followed me around to Madrid, Celtic and now Chelsea.

I'm not sure if after this save I'll ever enjoy a game of FM the same way, it has been an absolute epic.
FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:37 - Jul 13 with 4980 viewsclive_baker

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:30 - Jul 13 by Libero

Yes, mate, still rocking '19.

I tend to play when the bairn's in bed and the wife puts something on TV that I've no interest in, but I have to admit that I do still find it quite addictive and sometimes have to just give it a rest for a few weeks.

I've developed training schemes, tactics and even throw in and set piece routines across this 20 year save that I'd never previously even considered.
I think the first time I made a specific throw in routine I must have nabbed 6/7 goals that season alone from the scenario!
Every time I think clubs are getting a bit wise to my set up I'll tweak it.

I've played a variety of shapes across all the clubs I've managed, but generally all my teams have played a fast attacking brand of football, committing full blooded challenges regularly to the point where everywhere I've been the press have branded my teams "dirty" and I get the "Libero wouldn't send his players out to hurt the opposition" story on repeat.

I'm always bringing young players through, I've a lad in my Chelsea team that I brought through as a 16 year old impact sub in my Utrecht invincibles team, he's now 28 and is a valuable squad player for me that's followed me around to Madrid, Celtic and now Chelsea.

I'm not sure if after this save I'll ever enjoy a game of FM the same way, it has been an absolute epic.

Never been tempted to take the Town job? You can't need the money now.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:44 - Jul 13 with 4949 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:37 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

Never been tempted to take the Town job? You can't need the money now.

I've had two spells at Town already mate!

2018/19 - Ipswich Town, 2nd, runners up in Championship
2019/20 - Ipswich Town, 16th in Premier League
2020/21 - Ipswich Town, 17th in Premier League
2021/22 - Ipswich Town, 8th in Premier League
2022/23 - Left Ipswich Town mid-season to save West Ham United from relegation, 17th in Premier League

2033/34 - I leave FC Utrecht a few games into the season after interviewing for the Ipswich Town job. I did before leaving however win the Dutch Charity shield.
Ipswich Town - 17th in Premier League, were 20th when I took over with a terrible squad.
2034/35 - Ipswich Town, 16th in Premier League
2035/36 - I leave Ipswich Town sitting in 7th with 10 games to go after an offer of crazy money from Chelsea. I wanted to win the Champions League and Premier League and feel they gave me a better opportunity of doing this. Chelsea were 15th when I took over, finishing 7th in the Premier League, Ipswich finish 10th and win the FA Cup under new manager Jason Tindall.

Probably best not to dwell on the couple of seasons I spent at Norwich between 2026 - 2028.
I wanted to return to East Anglia after a successful spell at Madrid but Evans was still bitter about me leaving for West Ham and wouldn't even give me a bloody interview!
I took the Norwich job instead, took them up to the Premier League, then finished 5th in the Premier League with them.

Returned for that second spell at Ipswich 5/6 years later, the club were under new ownership and I was welcomed back with open arms.

Fully intend to end the career at Ipswich (or potentially a much lower league East Anglian/Suffolk club if we've one in the pyramid at that time in the game)

As I say, hopefully by that time I'll have done a couple of other projects I'm keen on and be in my 70's.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 14:52]
FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:51 - Jul 13 with 4923 viewsCoco

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:44 - Jul 13 by Libero

2022/23 - Left Ipswich Town mid-season to save West Ham United from relegation, 17th in Premier League

2033/34 - I leave FC Utrecht a few games into the season after interviewing for the Ipswich Town job. I did before leaving however win the Dutch Charity shield.
Ipswich Town - 17th in Premier League, were 20th when I took over with a terrible squad.
2035/36 - I leave Ipswich Town sitting in 7th with 10 games to go after an offer of crazy money from Chelsea. I wanted to win the Champions League and Premier League and feel they gave me a better opportunity of doing this. Chelsea were 15th when I took over, finishing 7th in the Premier League, Ipswich finish 10th and win the FA Cup under new manager Jason Tindall.

Probably best not to dwell on the couple of seasons I spent at Norwich between 2026 - 2028.
I wanted to return to East Anglia after a successful spell at Madrid but Evans was still bitter about me leaving for West Ham and wouldn't even give me a bloody interview!
I took the Norwich job instead, took them up to the Premier League, then finished 5th in the Premier League with them.

Returned for that second spell at Ipswich 5/6 years later, the club were under new ownership and I was welcomed back with open arms.

Fully intend to end the career at Ipswich (or potentially a much lower league East Anglian/Suffolk club if we've one in the pyramid at that time in the game)

As I say, hopefully by that time I'll have done a couple of other projects I'm keen on and be in my 70's.

It's that variety that's kept it interesting i guess! I start with Town, build an empire that storms Europe and find it impossible to leave. I find taking the Madrid, Barca jobs dull and I just can't be filling their trophy cabinets with yet more silverware! I may leave at some point but have filled the youth teams with an endless supply of talent.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:03 - Jul 13 with 4883 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:51 - Jul 13 by Coco

It's that variety that's kept it interesting i guess! I start with Town, build an empire that storms Europe and find it impossible to leave. I find taking the Madrid, Barca jobs dull and I just can't be filling their trophy cabinets with yet more silverware! I may leave at some point but have filled the youth teams with an endless supply of talent.

I was going great guns on the first occasion with Ipswich, but Evans really was hesitant to give me anything that I wanted. I think I'd taken the club as far as the owner would allow at the time, in my second spell under a new owner he was very supportive and felt we made great strides, only problem was I spent much of the first season clearing out the sh1te left by the previous manager and the following season rebuilding and blooding youngsters alongside my reliable players.

I think Tindall's cup win owed a lot to my ground work, I left with ten games of the season to go, I'd done most of that cup run and when I left Ipswich were sitting 7th, ultimately finishing 10th.

This Chelsea side of mine is incredible, made even better by the fact it's full of youth prospects that I was cultivating along as 17/18 year old lads in my first spell, they've all developed into top class Premier League players.

I've had a very varied career on this save with varying degrees of success, lowpoint being when I was relgated from the Premier League with Crystal Palace, finishing 20th, reputation in tatters despite having had a very good career up to that point.
In many ways that was the making of me though, as from there I went to Utrecht, had my first invincible season and have just gone from strength to strength since!

Full breakdown of seasons...

2018/19 - Ipswich Town
2019/20 - Ipswich Town
2020/21 - Ipswich Town
2021/22 - Ipswich Town
2022/23 - Ipswich Town/West Ham
2023/24 - Arsenal
2024/25 - Real Madrid
2025/26 - Real Madrid
2026/27 - Norwich City
2027/28 - Norwich City/England/Inter Milan
2028/29 - England/Fulham
2029/30 - England/Everton
2030/31 - Everton
2031/32 - Crystal Palace
2032/33 - FC Utrecht
2033/34 - FC Utrecht/Ipswich Town
2034/35 - Ipswich Town
2035/36 - Ipswich Town/Chelsea
2036/37 - Chelsea
2037/28 - Real Madrid/Celtic
2038/39 - Celtic
2039/40 - Chelsea
2040/41 - Chelsea (currently playing)
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 15:22]
Login to get fewer ads

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:07 - Jul 13 with 4875 viewsclive_baker

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:44 - Jul 13 by Libero

You've had more clubs than Tiger Woods mate.

Promotion, Survival, Survival, 8th. Looked like you were really starting to build something at Town in your first stint, it's surprising to see you join lowly West Ham to be honest. Smacks of chasing the £££.

TWTD must've gone into meltdown when you came back, especially with your Norwich history.

That really is the form book of a troubled genius. Fair play.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:15 - Jul 13 with 4847 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:07 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

You've had more clubs than Tiger Woods mate.

Promotion, Survival, Survival, 8th. Looked like you were really starting to build something at Town in your first stint, it's surprising to see you join lowly West Ham to be honest. Smacks of chasing the £££.

TWTD must've gone into meltdown when you came back, especially with your Norwich history.

That really is the form book of a troubled genius. Fair play.

Indeed, Mr. Evans wasn't prepared to back me though and it was becoming a real slog just to hold on to the good players I did have!
John Souttar, a Scottish Centre Half I'd signed from Hearts was world class at the back for me with Adam Webster (re-signed in my second year in the Premier League) but the pair of them being linked with top notch clubs meant that every other month I was having to have awkward conversations about "wanting to move to a bigger club" etc.
If Evans had given me the backing I needed I reckon I'd have comfortably made Ipswich into a consistent top 5 side, I was churning out the youth prospects.

I went to West Ham purely because of their resources and the fact they were still relatively local, the move was done in January and I thought it was a good opportunity to cement myself as a "Premier League manager" and not just "Ipswich Manager" who happened to be in the Premier League.
Arsenal obviously liked what they saw so I jumped ship having saved West Ham and improved my standing in the game.

Interestingly I'm not considered a club legend at Ipswich! I've received the accolade at Chelsea and Real Madrid, but I suspect my involvement with our feathered friends means that no matter how well I do I won't be considered amongst the best.

I fully intend on crossing divides again at some point and managing Barcelona, despite being considered a Madrid legend. I've a bit of a standing rivalry with Nuno Espirito Santo, we either manage the same clubs or rivals, he's currently at Barcelona and has managed Madrid in the past in game (cleaned up his mess) - so don't see why I can't do the same.

He absolutely hated me when I was Everton manager and he was at Liverpool, lost count at the amount of times I managed to get him to storm out of press conferences :')
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 15:16]
FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:16 - Jul 13 with 4854 viewsitfcjoe

I don't get as much time as I used to but am currently managing Wrexham with a self imposed rule of only signing Welsh players, am currently top of the EPL in my 3rd or 4th season in it, plus one previously where I as relegated.

I can't remember exact details but was something like
Conference - promoted
League 2 - promoted
League 1 - promoted
Championship - mid table
Championship - promoted via play offs
PL - relegated
Championship - won title by a country mile
PL - 8th
PL - 13th

I think without checking. I've got some really good players now - just have to pick up any decent Welsh regen straight away. Got a left back who wants to leave now, so need to time it right to try and get him to sign a long term deal but he still has 2 years left. Have 4-5 wonderkids, 2 of which came through at Wrexham as academy is finally Cat 1.

It's a fun challenge, but hard to progress -once you stabilise in the PL you can just overpay for Welsh kids, although I did add Harry Wilson who is now 31 and his set pieces have really helped kick me on. Would love to get my hands on Ethan Ampadu and Brennan Johnson but out of my price range.

Wales even won the Euro's with 6 of my players in the 14 that featured in the final.

It's a tough slog, but quite a unique challenge in how it unfolds. I've previously done one nationality only in a small league, but by being involved in the English league this one works well, especially as all your academy kids are Welsh
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 15:17]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:20 - Jul 13 with 4828 viewsCoco

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:03 - Jul 13 by Libero

I was going great guns on the first occasion with Ipswich, but Evans really was hesitant to give me anything that I wanted. I think I'd taken the club as far as the owner would allow at the time, in my second spell under a new owner he was very supportive and felt we made great strides, only problem was I spent much of the first season clearing out the sh1te left by the previous manager and the following season rebuilding and blooding youngsters alongside my reliable players.

I think Tindall's cup win owed a lot to my ground work, I left with ten games of the season to go, I'd done most of that cup run and when I left Ipswich were sitting 7th, ultimately finishing 10th.

This Chelsea side of mine is incredible, made even better by the fact it's full of youth prospects that I was cultivating along as 17/18 year old lads in my first spell, they've all developed into top class Premier League players.

I've had a very varied career on this save with varying degrees of success, lowpoint being when I was relgated from the Premier League with Crystal Palace, finishing 20th, reputation in tatters despite having had a very good career up to that point.
In many ways that was the making of me though, as from there I went to Utrecht, had my first invincible season and have just gone from strength to strength since!

Full breakdown of seasons...

2018/19 - Ipswich Town
2019/20 - Ipswich Town
2020/21 - Ipswich Town
2021/22 - Ipswich Town
2022/23 - Ipswich Town/West Ham
2023/24 - Arsenal
2024/25 - Real Madrid
2025/26 - Real Madrid
2026/27 - Norwich City
2027/28 - Norwich City/England/Inter Milan
2028/29 - England/Fulham
2029/30 - England/Everton
2030/31 - Everton
2031/32 - Crystal Palace
2032/33 - FC Utrecht
2033/34 - FC Utrecht/Ipswich Town
2034/35 - Ipswich Town
2035/36 - Ipswich Town/Chelsea
2036/37 - Chelsea
2037/28 - Real Madrid/Celtic
2038/39 - Celtic
2039/40 - Chelsea
2040/41 - Chelsea (currently playing)

NORWICH!? Sweet mother of God!

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:20 - Jul 13 with 4823 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:16 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

I don't get as much time as I used to but am currently managing Wrexham with a self imposed rule of only signing Welsh players, am currently top of the EPL in my 3rd or 4th season in it, plus one previously where I as relegated.

Conference - promoted
League 2 - promoted
League 1 - promoted
Championship - mid table
PL - relegated
PL - 8th
PL - 13th

I think without checking. I've got some really good players now - just have to pick up any decent Welsh regen straight away. Got a left back who wants to leave now, so need to time it right to try and get him to sign a long term deal but he still has 2 years left. Have 4-5 wonderkids, 2 of which came through at Wrexham as academy is finally Cat 1.

It's a fun challenge, but hard to progress -once you stabilise in the PL you can just overpay for Welsh kids, although I did add Harry Wilson who is now 31 and his set pieces have really helped kick me on. Would love to get my hands on Ethan Ampadu and Brennan Johnson but out of my price range.

Wales even won the Euro's with 6 of my players in the 14 that featured in the final.

It's a tough slog, but quite a unique challenge in how it unfolds. I've previously done one nationality only in a small league, but by being involved in the English league this one works well, especially as all your academy kids are Welsh

You mentioned this in the previous thread I spoke about my FM save, good to see you're still cracking on with it!

I've a Welsh regen left back called Aaron Congerton, I signed him as a 16 year old from Wrexham for Ipswich, blooded him into the first team squad there and eventually took him to Chelsea with me, by the time I returned for my second Chelsea spell he was brilliant!
Wales having similar success in 2040 in my game as yours, qualifying for World Cup/Euros and having a good go at it.

I'm absolutely converted to enjoying a save once the regens come in.
I set myself little rules like you've done with only signing Welsh players, a big one for me is about bringing through youth players and maintaining an identity by making sure there's at least 6 players in the match day squad either from the local area or that have come through the Academy.
FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:21 - Jul 13 with 4817 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:20 - Jul 13 by Coco

NORWICH!? Sweet mother of God!

Blame Evans, mate.
C*nt wouldn't even interview me despite being straight off the back of winning LaLiga, I just wanted to come home to East Anglia.
FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:23 - Jul 13 with 4807 viewsCoco

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:21 - Jul 13 by Libero

Blame Evans, mate.
C*nt wouldn't even interview me despite being straight off the back of winning LaLiga, I just wanted to come home to East Anglia.

I'm sure your wages were no doubt sky high! Can't believe you played for a season with that UI.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:25 - Jul 13 with 4786 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:23 - Jul 13 by Coco

I'm sure your wages were no doubt sky high! Can't believe you played for a season with that UI.

Nope, I resigned from Madrid, so no compensation needed and wages were modest enough that Championship Norwich City could afford me, Evans just had a bone to grind after the way I left previously. T0sser.

*Ipswich were still in the Premier League, carrying on very much in the vein I'd left them in.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 15:26]
FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:29 - Jul 13 with 4759 viewsCoco

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:25 - Jul 13 by Libero

Nope, I resigned from Madrid, so no compensation needed and wages were modest enough that Championship Norwich City could afford me, Evans just had a bone to grind after the way I left previously. T0sser.

*Ipswich were still in the Premier League, carrying on very much in the vein I'd left them in.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 15:26]

Now you know how George Burley feels.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:35 - Jul 13 with 4743 viewsDecageBruce

I'm on FM20 and it took me a few saves to get into it. Started as Town twice and was sacked before Xmas.

Latest (on going) save is Chelmsford. A few progressive years up to the leagues and now in the Prem. I have found this years far harder on the Scouting (or you have to put more time in especially in the lower leagues) and that you have to evolve your tactics more as doesn't take you long to get found out. I have tended to go youth and look to sell to gather funds as I've progressed up the league. Andre Dozzell was signed for £250k in 2022 in League 1 and left in 2031 after becoming an Icon and winning player of the year pretty he was with me.

Step from L1 to Champ is huge as is the step from Champ to Prem. Strangely I was able to sign better players after my relegation from Prem to Champ meaning second time round I has a stronger team. Also, some of my very good youngsters were a year older and wiser too.

Recently taken the France job as well which adds a little more but tbf finding it a bit of a distraction.

2019/2020 VNL S Winners
2020/2021 VNL Winners
2021/2022 L2 Winners
2022/2023 L1 6th (Lost in PO Semis)
2023/2024 L1 6th (Won Playoffs)
2024/2025 Champ 21st
2025/2026 Champ 14th
2026/2027 Champ 12th
2027/2028 Champ 1st
2028/2029 Prem 17th (89th minute winner on last day of season
2029/2030 Prem 19th
2030/2031 Champ 1st
2031/2032 Prem 8th
Current season W3, D3, L1

Still the same frustrations of beating Liverpool 1-0 and then loosing to Villa. Them Beat Chelsea 2-1 followed by draw with Bristol City and loss to Burnley. I am lucky that I can have it running while I work most days so dip in and out on downtime and breaks etc
FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:35 - Jul 13 with 4739 viewsclive_baker

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:20 - Jul 13 by Libero

You mentioned this in the previous thread I spoke about my FM save, good to see you're still cracking on with it!

I've a Welsh regen left back called Aaron Congerton, I signed him as a 16 year old from Wrexham for Ipswich, blooded him into the first team squad there and eventually took him to Chelsea with me, by the time I returned for my second Chelsea spell he was brilliant!
Wales having similar success in 2040 in my game as yours, qualifying for World Cup/Euros and having a good go at it.

I'm absolutely converted to enjoying a save once the regens come in.
I set myself little rules like you've done with only signing Welsh players, a big one for me is about bringing through youth players and maintaining an identity by making sure there's at least 6 players in the match day squad either from the local area or that have come through the Academy.

My latest FM I took Ipswich up from L1 to Prem in first 2 seasons but struggled like hell when I got there. Like you, I love a thriving academy. I was pleased on a number of occasions to have a whole starting XI in the Prem of academy graduates. I won't lie, 3 or 4 had no right to be starting at that level ahead of some of the subs, but I wanted to fulfil that little milestone. Probably explains why we were pony most weeks.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:39 - Jul 13 with 4721 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Conference - promoted
League 2 - promoted
League 1 - promoted
Championship - mid table
PL - relegated
PL - 8th
PL - 13th

I used to love Champ Manager, but not played that much FM. I like the kind of challenge that you mentioned though.

I used to restart after probably a max of 10 seasons as the well known players retired, but fair play for your long termism!

Back in the day I used to write down my objectives at the start of my new save. So sad!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:43 - Jul 13 with 4705 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:35 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

My latest FM I took Ipswich up from L1 to Prem in first 2 seasons but struggled like hell when I got there. Like you, I love a thriving academy. I was pleased on a number of occasions to have a whole starting XI in the Prem of academy graduates. I won't lie, 3 or 4 had no right to be starting at that level ahead of some of the subs, but I wanted to fulfil that little milestone. Probably explains why we were pony most weeks.

Mate, until he retired a few seasons ago I'd been traipsing Harry Wright along with me as sub keeper wherever I went.

He had no right to play at Inter Milan, Real Madrid or even Arsenal, but he always did a decent job when called upon and his strength with his feet/passing meant that he slotted in really easily as I always play with an attacking sweeper keeper.
I had a short spell when at Everton I started to wonder if I'd bother getting another keeper in as Curtis Anderson was injured but Harry Wright was sincerely performing better in the team despite his stats being waff!

I even gave him an England cap :')

I've a few lads who have followed me round different clubs now, not incredible players but dependable lads who suit my style of play and can slot in with no bother.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 15:49]
FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:50 - Jul 13 with 4674 viewsdavblue

Conference - promoted
League 2 - promoted
League 1 - promoted
Championship - mid table
PL - relegated
PL - 8th
PL - 13th

I always start unemployed and took over Cambridge with 5 games left got relegated with them and sacked. Managed to get the Newport County job who were rock bottom in November.

Kept them up with a few games to spare Next season
Promoted as Champions in league 2 1st full season
The following season Promoted via play offs League 1 (finished with 96 points)
Currently 4th just after Christmas in my 1st season in the Championship

I've spent 40k and bought in 2.3 million so far, been scouring big clubs for their young players on frees and have 3 or 4 who are worth 4 million plus. Might struggle to hold onto them with my 2.2 million pound wage budget and their wage demands come renewal time.

Trying to invest in training facilities, youth development as they are both pretty rubbish.
FAO Football Manager nerds on 16:12 - Jul 13 with 4604 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:35 - Jul 13 by clive_baker

I love how CM / FM gets inside your head as a manager.

I can remember getting to a stand off with Phil Whelan over a contract renewal.

I remember saying to a mate 'I will not be dictated to by a 17 year old'.

...my mate replied, 'hang on, your 13!!'

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

FAO Football Manager nerds on 19:19 - Jul 13 with 4472 viewstractordownsouth

Decided to go for a relatively long save... don't really fancy non-league as my knowledge of those divisions isn't as good as it used to be... Chose the mighty Plymouth Argyle

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:21 - Jul 14 with 4277 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 19:19 - Jul 13 by tractordownsouth

Decided to go for a relatively long save... don't really fancy non-league as my knowledge of those divisions isn't as good as it used to be... Chose the mighty Plymouth Argyle

Good man, what are your plans going in?
Any particular style of play you're looking to implement?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024