Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Football Manager nerds 13:53 - Jul 13 with 17280 viewstractordownsouth

Haven't played properly for a while and got a few days off work... I somehow managed to delete my Town save so I'll get going with a new one. Any good ideas for teams to start a save with? Preferably football league or foreign teams.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

FAO Football Manager nerds on 08:32 - Aug 3 with 4191 viewsitfcjoe

FAO Football Manager nerds on 17:59 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

I've never been into this, but am hearing that apparently Harrogate Town are now available in FM!

They've been available for years, all Conference North teams are - there are also patched that go down to step 13/14 so your local village team would be available too!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:55 - Aug 3 with 4134 viewsbrazil1982

Update: bought FM19 a few weeks back, I've now deleted it. I couldn't get anywhere with it - managed FC Halifax for almost three seasons. Little budget so relying on freebies and tactics. Left as I was offered the Ipswich job ( how?!).

FC Halifax - mixed, mainly poor results, semi final of the FA Trophy the highlight. Dreadful finances, very rare to sign anyone half decent. Terrible injury list.

Ipswich - 0-3, 0-5, 0-5, end of season, tragic defence. Managed to trim the wage bill and sell a fair few players to get some transfer cash. Almost impossible to purchase anyone decent but landed a couple of alright CDs, of course one gets injured in the first match and is out for six months. New season: 0-0, 1-2, 0-3, 0-1, 0-2. I resigned. No tactical changes worked at all. Change from Cautious to Positive? No change. From Balanced to Attacking? No change. Fresh legs with 20 mins to go? No change. Very odd.

With both clubs I have tried almost every tactic available to me and none have proved in anyway successful. Play a poor team? Go attacking - and lose. Play a strong side? Be defensive and still lose. Struggle to make chances, got about 1 corner per match. I simply exhausted any tactic and players, and simply nothing changed, in fact it got worse.

The defending on both my clubs has been truly awful, goalkeeping an utter joke although I did get hold of a Scottish Keeper for FC Halifax in my last season who was alright.

I was surprised though at the lack of Board ambition both at FC Halifax and Town. Just as well as I'm pony.

Got annoyed and binned it.

/Moan over.
FAO Football Manager nerds on 11:26 - Aug 3 with 4116 viewsclive_baker

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:55 - Aug 3 by brazil1982

Update: bought FM19 a few weeks back, I've now deleted it. I couldn't get anywhere with it - managed FC Halifax for almost three seasons. Little budget so relying on freebies and tactics. Left as I was offered the Ipswich job ( how?!).

FC Halifax - mixed, mainly poor results, semi final of the FA Trophy the highlight. Dreadful finances, very rare to sign anyone half decent. Terrible injury list.

Ipswich - 0-3, 0-5, 0-5, end of season, tragic defence. Managed to trim the wage bill and sell a fair few players to get some transfer cash. Almost impossible to purchase anyone decent but landed a couple of alright CDs, of course one gets injured in the first match and is out for six months. New season: 0-0, 1-2, 0-3, 0-1, 0-2. I resigned. No tactical changes worked at all. Change from Cautious to Positive? No change. From Balanced to Attacking? No change. Fresh legs with 20 mins to go? No change. Very odd.

With both clubs I have tried almost every tactic available to me and none have proved in anyway successful. Play a poor team? Go attacking - and lose. Play a strong side? Be defensive and still lose. Struggle to make chances, got about 1 corner per match. I simply exhausted any tactic and players, and simply nothing changed, in fact it got worse.

The defending on both my clubs has been truly awful, goalkeeping an utter joke although I did get hold of a Scottish Keeper for FC Halifax in my last season who was alright.

I was surprised though at the lack of Board ambition both at FC Halifax and Town. Just as well as I'm pony.

Got annoyed and binned it.

/Moan over.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your FM game. On another note, I just wondered if you could elaborate on your recent comments about learning from last season, I'm sure a fair few on here are keen to hear more about that.

PS. in your playing days, were you ever tempted to play abroad?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

FAO Football Manager nerds on 11:45 - Aug 3 with 4098 viewsbrazil1982

FAO Football Manager nerds on 11:26 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your FM game. On another note, I just wondered if you could elaborate on your recent comments about learning from last season, I'm sure a fair few on here are keen to hear more about that.

PS. in your playing days, were you ever tempted to play abroad?

Very much like that isn't it!
FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:04 - Aug 3 with 4064 viewsPriskinftw

I tend to do a Gateshead save every FM edition and this years has been my most successful, quick rundown of the progress below;

19/20 - 1st Vanarama North
20/21 - 1st Vanarama National + FA Trophy winner
21/22 - 2nd League 2
22/23 - 5th League 1 (won in PO final vs Ipswich)
23/24 - 12th Championship
24/25 - 5th Championship (lost PO semi to Blackburn)
25/26 - 1st Championship
26/27 - 15th Prem
27/28 - 2nd Prem
28/29 - 5th Prem + Champions League winner
29/30 - 1st Prem + Club World Championship and Euro Super Cup Winner
30/31 - 1st Prem + Community Shield winner
31/32 - 1st Prem + Community Shield, Carabao Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winner
32/33 - 1st Prem + Community Shield, Carabao Cup and Champions League.

Have only ever used one formation - 4-4-2, with small changes to roles and instructions.

Control Possession with Positive mentality, only one role in the team is set to defend.

Happy to go into further detail if anyone is curious.

Ipswich got taken over by a tycoon, worth £2bn and have been in the prem too for 8 seasons spending stupid amounts of money.

On winged feet, only the light will feel the wind.
Blog: [Blog] Is It Really a Wickham Wonderland?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:41 - Aug 3 with 4041 viewsbrazil1982

FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:04 - Aug 3 by Priskinftw

I tend to do a Gateshead save every FM edition and this years has been my most successful, quick rundown of the progress below;

21/22 - 2nd League 2
25/26 - 1st Championship
26/27 - 15th Prem
27/28 - 2nd Prem
31/32 - 1st Prem + Community Shield, Carabao Cup, FA Cup and Champions League winner

Have only ever used one formation - 4-4-2, with small changes to roles and instructions.

Control Possession with Positive mentality, only one role in the team is set to defend.

Ipswich got taken over by a tycoon, worth £2bn and have been in the prem too for 8 seasons spending stupid amounts of money.

would be interested in your tactics and personnel at non league level, I couldn't get anywhere! Is it basically everyone goes up front when you have the ball?!
FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:57 - Aug 3 with 4031 viewstractordownsouth

FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:04 - Aug 3 by Priskinftw

21/22 - 2nd League 2
25/26 - 1st Championship
26/27 - 15th Prem
27/28 - 2nd Prem

Surprised you didn't get sussed out with the same tactics for 14 seasons. 4 successive promotions is impressive though, I just missed out on the play offs with Plymouth in L1 after winning L2.

Managed to sort out my team by selling my 10% sell on clause for Christian Walton (Brighton) as I had 0 money to spend. Bought Lewis Strapp (LB from Morton) for 100k after he was on loan last year, plus Scott Wharton (CB from Blackburn) and Fikayo Dele Bushiru (CM from Man City) on free transfers, and feeling confident of a top 6 push.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:00 - Aug 3 with 4025 viewsLibero

FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:41 - Aug 3 by brazil1982

would be interested in your tactics and personnel at non league level, I couldn't get anywhere! Is it basically everyone goes up front when you have the ball?!

Keep it structured and simple.
Create your tactic to suit the players strengths and try not to chop and change too much, you need your players to settle and improve the fluidity/understanding.

Fitness levels is usually what I struggle with when I'm managing a non-league club, players burn out easily.
Login to get fewer ads

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:11 - Aug 3 with 3992 viewstractordownsouth

FAO Football Manager nerds on 14:00 - Aug 3 by Libero

Keep it structured and simple.
Create your tactic to suit the players strengths and try not to chop and change too much, you need your players to settle and improve the fluidity/understanding.

Fitness levels is usually what I struggle with when I'm managing a non-league club, players burn out easily.

It's a difficult balance because I try to have a squad of around 22 and supplement with the yoof but lower league stamina is rubbish and it's easy to end up stockpiling

FAO Football Manager nerds on 17:03 - Aug 3 with 3965 viewsPriskinftw

FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:57 - Aug 3 by tractordownsouth

Surprised you didn't get sussed out with the same tactics for 14 seasons. 4 successive promotions is impressive though, I just missed out on the play offs with Plymouth in L1 after winning L2.

Managed to sort out my team by selling my 10% sell on clause for Christian Walton (Brighton) as I had 0 money to spend. Bought Lewis Strapp (LB from Morton) for 100k after he was on loan last year, plus Scott Wharton (CB from Blackburn) and Fikayo Dele Bushiru (CM from Man City) on free transfers, and feeling confident of a top 6 push.

Usually the AI figures out your tactic and suddenly everything goes T*ts up but luckily it hasn't happened yet.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 17:15 - Aug 3 with 3960 viewsPriskinftw

FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:41 - Aug 3 by brazil1982

Signed 11 players on free transfers, Gateshead has just been relegated so we had almost no players. You want almost special players, anybody with 15+ acc & pace as a striker. In the VNL i signed a player on a free from Wolves called Benny Ashley-Seal, 45 starts 35 goals, league 2 44 starts 24 goals, pretty much all because he had 15+ in speed.

Almost same tactics as i have now;

Shorter Passing
Play out of defence
Hit Early Crosses
Shoot on sight
Be more expressive
Lower tempo
Roll it out
Dis to Centre backs
Counter
Counter Press
Higher line of engagement
Prevent short GK distribution.

I know that you're not meant to give too many tactics to Non-league but i wanted to set it up early.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 17:27 - Aug 3 with 3955 viewsclive_baker

FAO Football Manager nerds on 17:15 - Aug 3 by Priskinftw

Signed 11 players on free transfers, Gateshead has just been relegated so we had almost no players. You want almost special players, anybody with 15+ acc & pace as a striker. In the VNL i signed a player on a free from Wolves called Benny Ashley-Seal, 45 starts 35 goals, league 2 44 starts 24 goals, pretty much all because he had 15+ in speed.

Almost same tactics as i have now;

Shorter Passing
Play out of defence
Hit Early Crosses
Shoot on sight
Be more expressive
Lower tempo
Roll it out
Dis to Centre backs
Counter
Counter Press
Higher line of engagement
Prevent short GK distribution.

I know that you're not meant to give too many tactics to Non-league but i wanted to set it up early.

That's pretty much my exact blue print to a tee.

I tend to find the 1st season the hardest as you've often inherited a load of sh1t. Once their contracts are up and you can move on the pants ones you can free up wages to sign some kids that have been released by some of the bigger clubs. I signed a RWB in the Conference South from Chelsea who was class, and a striker released by Leicester who banged in 30_ goals. I'm not afraid to recycle players after a season once up to the next level and more attractive to a higher quality of player.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:06 - Aug 13 with 3691 viewsbrazil1982

FAO Football Manager nerds on 17:27 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

I tend to find the 1st season the hardest as you've often inherited a load of sh1t. Once their contracts are up and you can move on the pants ones you can free up wages to sign some kids that have been released by some of the bigger clubs. I signed a RWB in the Conference South from Chelsea who was class, and a striker released by Leicester who banged in 30_ goals. I'm not afraid to recycle players after a season once up to the next level and more attractive to a higher quality of player.

Thought I would post an update. Took advice from the above posts. Season 1 was mixed - good cup runs, terrible league form.
Season 2 - disaster. Nothing works (again). I'm in the Vanarama relegation zone and none of the players are happy. The defence is of great concern - their attributes are quite good for this level. I have a CD who has good attributes in marking, tackling and pace. Regularly gets out-run by a forward with pace of 8 or below.

I have ventured into Opposition Instructions of late which has brought some minor success.

Grrr
FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:33 - Aug 13 with 3661 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

FAO Football Manager nerds on 17:27 - Aug 3 by clive_baker

Same here. You have to be a bit Sir Alex and be ruthless.

First season in the National South I had a 19 goal striker. I got promoted. I brought in Fidel O'Rourke from Liverpool and he scored 17 as I won the National League.

I sold him to Peterborough in January the following season as he couldn't get in the team because I'd bought Jack McKay who had scored 16 by Christmas as I was 4th in League Two.

I play one up front and have upgraded each season when better players have been interested in joining being at a higher level. It's worked pretty well all over. I tend to improve 4-5 starters each season, which seems to be enough to allow me to challenge at the higher level.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:42 - Aug 13 with 3648 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:06 - Aug 13 by brazil1982

Thought I would post an update. Took advice from the above posts. Season 1 was mixed - good cup runs, terrible league form.
Season 2 - disaster. Nothing works (again). I'm in the Vanarama relegation zone and none of the players are happy. The defence is of great concern - their attributes are quite good for this level. I have a CD who has good attributes in marking, tackling and pace. Regularly gets out-run by a forward with pace of 8 or below.

I have ventured into Opposition Instructions of late which has brought some minor success.

Grrr

Best advice I can give as someone who has breezed out of the Conference South and Conference with Tonbridge (tipped to finish 19th!) is to pick three formations and stick to one of them as much as possible.

The players will slowly get used to all three and once you've got good familiarity with them all (generally half a season in) you should be able to switch these easily enough in games.

Suck it up for the first season, scout players extensively all season that will be first teamers and at the end of the first year you'll be able to release most of the deadwood and bring in all manner of proven players at that level and released Championship / League One kids that will be impressive at that level.

I replaced almost my entire side after promotion with players that were 3 stars for ability (good Vanarama National players) that had 4-5 stars for potential and were tipped to go on to be good League One / League Two players.

Also managed to get a lot of them in for £200 - £300 a week whilst other clubs around me were paying three times that for inferior players.

Key for me is always relentless scouting and only signing the right players. All my wingers have 13 plus for pace, good first touch, crossing and finishing. All my centre backs have to be massive and quick, good heading, marking, positioning and strength.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:43 - Aug 13 with 3648 viewsthatdamgood89

Grrr

Can you take a screenshot of this CB please bud. The pace attribute may be high but is acceleration also high to match?

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

FAO Football Manager nerds on 10:50 - Aug 13 with 3638 viewsDecageBruce

Grrr

I always find that Determination can be a key factor in the lower leagues. Some players have better stats but if they isn't determined then they won't play as well as someone with slightly weaker stats but willing to run/get stuck in etc
FAO Football Manager nerds on 11:20 - Aug 13 with 3606 viewsDubtractor

Almost every time I start a new game on FM it is with the view of building an empire at one club, really playing the long game and investing in kids for 4 years time etc.

I recently started a new game on FM20 with the view of a manager career, and switching clubs when opportunities arrive or it feels like a club may be limited in scope.

Started with Barrow in the conference, tiny wage bill and crowds/income, so quite tricky to wheel and deal. Lost in playoffs first season, second season sitting 4th but not near to top team and with recurring weaknesses, so ended up leaving to join AFC WImbledon at the bottom of league 2. Comfortably survived, then successive promotions to the championship. Very heavily reliant on quality loan players to achieve this.

Applied, unsuccessfully, for a couple of championship posts at this point, so just started the season with AFC and well placed after a handful of games.

Tactics for this is either a simple 4-4-2 with lots of crosses, or a more conservative 4-4-1-1.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FAO Football Manager nerds on 13:24 - Aug 13 with 3563 viewsMelford

There's a 1999-2000 database out, with faces, kits and logos. No Marcus Stewart or Reuser though, you have to add them in with the editor.
https://www.fmscout.com/a-season-1999-2000-throwback-fm20.html

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:47 - Aug 13 with 3523 viewstractordownsouth

Finished Season 3 with Plymouth on 97 points in League 1, coming 2nd on the last day as Luton overtook me on the last day to win the title.

I have the lowest wages in the Championship and predicted to finish bottom of the pile. Signed Scott High (CM from Huddersfield) and Josh Pask (CB from Birmingham, at Cov IRL) for 750k each, biggest fees so far, as well as Lee Burge (GK from Sunderland) as back up and a couple of youths to bulk out the U23 squad. Managed to get Harry Toffolo (LB from Huddersfield) on a free transfer pre-arranged in January of season 3 as he wasn't getting a kick for them.

Lost the first game 2-0 to bloody Luton and Ryan Hardie, my top scorer for the first 3 seasons, got a 3 month injury so decided to get Rhian Brewster on loan. In his 2 games so far he's scored 4, including a hattrick in a 6-2 win at promotion favourites Norwich. Sitting in the play offs after 3 games but think it'll be a struggle.

Edit: Also been offered loads of jobs, half the Championship have approached me as well as a couple of Prem clubs but I'm sticking with the mighty Plymouth.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 15:50]

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:52 - Aug 13 with 3514 viewstractordownsouth

Grrr

Check out Zealand on Youtube, he has a channel dedicated to FM tips and tricks.

Also have a look at Spencer FC, he's doing a Non-League Road to Glory FM career at the moment and has got into the Premier League after many successive promotions so might be worth looking at.

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:57 - Aug 13 with 3502 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:47 - Aug 13 by tractordownsouth

Finished Season 3 with Plymouth on 97 points in League 1, coming 2nd on the last day as Luton overtook me on the last day to win the title.

I have the lowest wages in the Championship and predicted to finish bottom of the pile. Signed Scott High (CM from Huddersfield) and Josh Pask (CB from Birmingham, at Cov IRL) for 750k each, biggest fees so far, as well as Lee Burge (GK from Sunderland) as back up and a couple of youths to bulk out the U23 squad. Managed to get Harry Toffolo (LB from Huddersfield) on a free transfer pre-arranged in January of season 3 as he wasn't getting a kick for them.

Lost the first game 2-0 to bloody Luton and Ryan Hardie, my top scorer for the first 3 seasons, got a 3 month injury so decided to get Rhian Brewster on loan. In his 2 games so far he's scored 4, including a hattrick in a 6-2 win at promotion favourites Norwich. Sitting in the play offs after 3 games but think it'll be a struggle.

Edit: Also been offered loads of jobs, half the Championship have approached me as well as a couple of Prem clubs but I'm sticking with the mighty Plymouth.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 15:50]

IIRC Plymouth and Luton actually do have a bit of a rivalry from a previous League One promotion campaign, which I think Plymouth took the title and Luton went up, the year the two of them and QPR all went down to the wire pretty much?

Very cool that the exact same rivalry seems to have played out for you.

EDIT - I am talking rubbish. It was Plymouth and QPR. Luton finished 10th! 2003-04. Plymouth won the league and Luton won it the year afterwards. I'm sure there is some history there though!
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 15:59]

FAO Football Manager nerds on 16:13 - Aug 13 with 3480 viewsthatdamgood89

FAO Football Manager nerds on 15:52 - Aug 13 by tractordownsouth

Check out Zealand on Youtube, he has a channel dedicated to FM tips and tricks.

Also have a look at Spencer FC, he's doing a Non-League Road to Glory FM career at the moment and has got into the Premier League after many successive promotions so might be worth looking at.

Also done pieces viewed over 200k times....can also ask me :)

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

FAO Football Manager nerds on 18:52 - Aug 13 with 3442 viewstractordownsouth

FAO Football Manager nerds on 16:13 - Aug 13 by thatdamgood89

Also done pieces viewed over 200k times....can also ask me :)

Impressive - channel name?

FAO Football Manager nerds on 21:23 - Aug 21 with 3039 viewstractordownsouth

Despite being favourites for the drop, we somehow managed to win the Championship at the first attempt to secure our 3rd promotion in 4 years. Was 6th at the halfway stage so not planning on promotion but added Curtis Jones from Liverpool on loan to go with top scorer Rhian Brewster. We finished with 57 scored but only conceding 23 - a lot of 1-0 wins along the way and the top 6 race was ridiculously tight until we pulled away in April.

Managed to spunk my £30m transfer budget straight away by buying Goncalo Cardoso (CB from West Ham) for £15m, Karamoko Dembele (RW from Celtic) for £13m and anotherwinger from Elche £5m, as well as Callum O'Hare (CM from Villa) and Neco Williams (RB from Liverpool) for under £1m each. Brewster and Jones are on loan for another year too, and Harvey Carling (regen ST from Falkirk) was top scorer in the SPL and has joined for free, but he'll mainly be a bench option.

Managed to get a 2-2 draw at Villa in the first game, which was good as the lack of goals was a worry last year.

How's everyone doing?
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 21:24]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024