Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else got shares in Tesla? 15:54 - Jul 13 with 9837 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:20 - Jul 14 with 1554 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 14:35 - Jul 14 by midastouch

I wouldn't sweat too much, they have still had a fantastic month (so far at least!) despite the pullback yesterday. Always best to look at the markets from a long-term perspective and not get too caught up in shorter time frame moves. I expect what happened yesterday is some people cashed out part of their positions (looking to lock in some nice gains) and this ultimately put some downward pressure on the price.

My advice is set targets on the chart (in Tradingview you can set it to send you email alerts when certain price levels have been reached) and then whenever the price reaches the next target you have in mind, then cash out a portion of your position so you are locking in some of the gains as you go along.

The only time I'd start to get worried is if the price drops below the 200 day moving average (the sloping yellow line). When price drops below the 200 day moving average, if it doesn't get back above it within a fairly reasonable time, then sentiment can shift from a bull to bear market and this can often lead to long-term pain! But if you've been cashing out upward moves bit by bit (during a nice bull run), then you are locking in nice guaranteed gains along the way well before market sentiment can turn against you. Most people don't do this though. Rather most tend to leave their entire position hanging in the market (hoping the price just keeps on rolling up and up indefinitely) and this means they can get badly burnt if the market suddenly hits a really nasty crash. Greed in the market is a dangerous thing!

What the most patient traders do is wait for pullbacks to the 100 day or 200 day moving average and then buy into the direction of the long-term trend. Here is such an example:

So it pulled back to the sloping 200 day moving average yellow line (the fact it's sloping upwards means the long-term trend is up rather than down).

And here is another example but this time on the 100 day moving average blue line (this time on a weekly chart of Halma):

That is as good an uptrend as I could possibly show.

Where I've drawn the two rings on the chart (on the Halma chart above) it shows two examples of where traders would have been looking to buy into the direction of the trend on a retrace to a key moving average.

The markets often move up in a staircase fashion or think of it as a zigzag type move.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 14:39]

[content removed at owner's request]

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:32 - Jul 14 with 1544 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:20 - Jul 14 by BryanPlug

Apparently a lot of Ipswich players have a pension scheme lined up, it's called Colchester United! :-)

All joking aside, good luck with it all. 35% is a decent gain. I had a letter from Tesco Bank the other day saying their interest rate is 0.10% now! Needless to say all funds have been withdrawn from there long ago and put to better use!

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 16:40 - Jul 14 with 1531 viewsflimflam

Ditto Hargreaves and the app and also have a sipp and share isa. Much more fun than leavingit to rot in a low interest account or at the hands of an unknown fund manager.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 16:44]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:49 - Jul 14 with 1511 viewsmidastouch

Here's one last one I just spotted this afternoon which I can't resist putting up. This is the price of gold as priced against the US dollar.

Notice the three black rings I've drawn. Going from left to right.

The first one is a retrace to the 100 day moving average. The buyers stepped back in and so the uptrend continued.

The second one is a bigger retrace, this time all the way down to the 200 day moving average. Again this key level held the price in check and then the price bounced and so the uptrend continued.

The third one saw the price come down to test the 50 day moving average. Again this kept the uptrend intact and the price has carried on.

These are the exact sort of levels shrewd buyers eagerly await to buy pullbacks.

I'm interested to see if gold can take out its previous all-time high of around $1,900 (dating back to 2011). It's no surprise to see gold going up considerably in price (against Fiat currency) given the magic money trees around the world have been forced into overtime this year.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 21:01]

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 19:00 - Jul 14 with 1504 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:49 - Jul 14 by midastouch

Here's one last one I just spotted this afternoon which I can't resist putting up. This is the price of gold as priced against the US dollar.

Notice the three black rings I've drawn. Going from left to right.

The first one is a retrace to the 100 day moving average. The buyers stepped back in and so the uptrend continued.

The second one is a bigger retrace, this time all the way down to the 200 day moving average. Again this key level held the price in check and then the price bounced and so the uptrend continued.

The third one saw the price come down to test the 50 day moving average. Again this kept the uptrend intact and the price has carried on.

These are the exact sort of levels shrewd buyers eagerly await to buy pullbacks.

I'm interested to see if gold can take out its previous all-time high of around $1,900 (dating back to 2011). It's no surprise to see gold going up considerably in price (against Fiat currency) given the magic money trees around the world have been forced into overtime this year.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 21:01]

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 19:14 - Jul 14 with 1500 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 19:00 - Jul 14 by BryanPlug

I've not heard of them. I'll have a look on YouTube. There's a million and one "get rich quick" promise merchants on YouTube as it is! :-)

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 19:15 - Jul 14 with 1495 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 19:14 - Jul 14 by midastouch

I've not heard of them. I'll have a look on YouTube. There's a million and one "get rich quick" promise merchants on YouTube as it is! :-)

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:09 - Jul 14 with 1479 viewsflimflam

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 19:00 - Jul 14 by BryanPlug

Technical trading ie - graphs and fancy indicators is OK for keeping an eye on support and resistance levels and a general overview of a stock. Apart from that you are trading in the past as what you see on the chart has already happened and has no bearing on the future price.

Fundamental trading and access to good quality news feeds so you can be ahead of the herd on any dropped news is a far better way to trade in my opinion. It only takes bad news and all the indicators on any chart are pretty much worthless.

Just my opinion after years of finding my through charts and ending up as more a fundamental trader which I find more reliable to catch big moves.

The charts posted are fairly clutter free to be honest and I have seen charts where there are upwards of 10 indicators which is absolutely nuts. Price will do what it wants regardless of where it has gone before.

But whatever works for an individual and if it keeps you out of the red then alls good.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:42 - Jul 14 with 1468 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:09 - Jul 14 by flimflam

Technical trading ie - graphs and fancy indicators is OK for keeping an eye on support and resistance levels and a general overview of a stock. Apart from that you are trading in the past as what you see on the chart has already happened and has no bearing on the future price.

Fundamental trading and access to good quality news feeds so you can be ahead of the herd on any dropped news is a far better way to trade in my opinion. It only takes bad news and all the indicators on any chart are pretty much worthless.

Just my opinion after years of finding my through charts and ending up as more a fundamental trader which I find more reliable to catch big moves.

The charts posted are fairly clutter free to be honest and I have seen charts where there are upwards of 10 indicators which is absolutely nuts. Price will do what it wants regardless of where it has gone before.

But whatever works for an individual and if it keeps you out of the red then alls good.

I don't use any indicators apart from the key moving averages. I prefer to look at pure price action (chart indicators just cause analysis paralysis). The major institutions all pay close attention to the 200 day moving average. Take the current price of oil. After its plummet to below zero it's since been recovering some ground until it reached (you guessed it) the 200 day moving average, see here (as highlighted):

It's a level that's rarely breached without a big tussle between buyers and sellers. It's held the price of oil in check all through this month. It might get through or it might roll back down some. But it's a line in the sand that is heavily respected by any trader worth their salt.

And there are some legendary traders that never even bother looking at any news.

But like you said whatever best suits your style.

A lot of the financial news is poor quality which is way behind the curve. Here's an interesting take on that very subject.

Obviously you get the insiders who keep the most ripe and juicy news all to themselves.

Last but not least is the S&P 500 index on a weekly chart, look what happened the last two times the 200 day moving average level was tested. Buyers and sellers did battle and ultimately the buyers won keeping the uptrend intact.
See the rings on the chart here both drawn on the 200 day moving average.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:52 - Jul 14 with 1458 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:09 - Jul 14 by flimflam

Have you ever looked into Renko charts? You might find them of interest. They take all the clutter and short-term noise out of the picture.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 13:03 - Jul 15 with 1398 viewsflimflam

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:52 - Jul 14 by midastouch

Have you ever looked into Renko charts? You might find them of interest. They take all the clutter and short-term noise out of the picture.

I actually do have a 200 MA just to show existing trend at a glance on my chart but thats it. Price action using candlesticks and major round numbers for support / resistance gives me an understanding of entry / exit points but thats always driven by news and a L2 feed.

Will look up the links as always useful to learn new ideas. Gregory Morris is the author of a book I swear by detailing candlesticks and their patterns in regard to PA.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 13:28 - Jul 15 with 1394 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 13:03 - Jul 15 by flimflam

I actually do have a 200 MA just to show existing trend at a glance on my chart but thats it. Price action using candlesticks and major round numbers for support / resistance gives me an understanding of entry / exit points but thats always driven by news and a L2 feed.

Will look up the links as always useful to learn new ideas. Gregory Morris is the author of a book I swear by detailing candlesticks and their patterns in regard to PA.

Yeah that's why I like the main MAs as it enables you to glance quickly at a chart on a longer timeframe and see the general trend.  If there isn't a single crossover on the 50, 100 or 200 MAs over a sustained period of time, then you can instantly tell it's a very strong long-term trend. They talk about the 50, 100 and 200 MAs being a good setup combination for spotting trends in this link: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/122414/what-are-most-common-periods-use  

I'll have a look into Gregory Morris.  Thanks for sharing. 

And have a little look into Japanese Renko charts if you get a chance, I think you'll find those of interest.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:03 - Jul 15 with 1369 viewsmidastouch

Have you got any Apple shares at all in your portfolio? They have been on a good run of late, see here:

And here's Facebook:

Amazon's shares have gone down a bit this week but they have been on a hell of a run for a long time now so investors can't really grumble!

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:22 - Jul 15 with 1353 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:03 - Jul 15 by midastouch

Have you got any Apple shares at all in your portfolio? They have been on a good run of late, see here:

And here's Facebook:

Amazon's shares have gone down a bit this week but they have been on a hell of a run for a long time now so investors can't really grumble!

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:42 - Jul 15 with 1342 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:22 - Jul 15 by BryanPlug

No wonder you're up 35% this year then! That's a great effort. Well done.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:41 - Jul 15 with 1329 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:42 - Jul 15 by midastouch

No wonder you're up 35% this year then! That's a great effort. Well done.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 08:23 - Jul 16 with 1297 viewsitfcjoe

Really interesting thread this, would love to know more about trading but too risk averse with any savings I have

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 09:02 - Jul 16 with 1276 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 20:41 - Jul 15 by BryanPlug

Ooh imagine the bonuses they will be able to cream off.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 09:12 - Jul 16 with 1274 viewsDanTheMan

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 08:23 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Really interesting thread this, would love to know more about trading but too risk averse with any savings I have

There are a number of investment companies starting up now where you can invest in funds rather than picking individual stocks and shares, a bit like a pension. Particularly good for ISAs, I've just got mine 100% on the global FTSE essentially and I'm up about 15% at the moment, and that's a fairly low risk.

Of course with any investment, it's usually time in the market instead of timing the market. A higher risk portfolio will in most likely hood do good in the long term but maybe not the short.

Soure: I write the APIs now that run these things.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 09:20 - Jul 16 with 1270 viewsBryanPlug

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 08:23 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 12:46 - Jul 16 with 1238 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 13:28 - Jul 15 by midastouch

Yeah that's why I like the main MAs as it enables you to glance quickly at a chart on a longer timeframe and see the general trend.  If there isn't a single crossover on the 50, 100 or 200 MAs over a sustained period of time, then you can instantly tell it's a very strong long-term trend. They talk about the 50, 100 and 200 MAs being a good setup combination for spotting trends in this link: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/122414/what-are-most-common-periods-use  

I'll have a look into Gregory Morris.  Thanks for sharing. 

And have a little look into Japanese Renko charts if you get a chance, I think you'll find those of interest.

Here is quite an interesting one.

This is Savills which can be useful in giving some clues to the overall state of the UK housing market. As the chart clearly shows, there's been some downward pressure this year (no surprise given nobody could move very easily during the lockdown).
The above is a monthly chart. Notice the price has come down and is testing the 100 day moving average level (where I've drawn a ring). I'm keen to see if it can hold that level. If it can't and it comes down further and tests the 200 day moving average (where I've drawn the other ring further below) then that will be a very interesting test. If it tumbled through there (and didn't recover in reasonable time) the UK housing market could find itself with a much more gloomy outlook.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 13:04 - Jul 16 with 1229 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 09:12 - Jul 16 by DanTheMan

There are a number of investment companies starting up now where you can invest in funds rather than picking individual stocks and shares, a bit like a pension. Particularly good for ISAs, I've just got mine 100% on the global FTSE essentially and I'm up about 15% at the moment, and that's a fairly low risk.

Of course with any investment, it's usually time in the market instead of timing the market. A higher risk portfolio will in most likely hood do good in the long term but maybe not the short.

Soure: I write the APIs now that run these things.

This is a very good book in regard to long-term investing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unshakeable-Your-Guide-Financial-Freedom/dp/1471164934/

It repeats the mantra "time in the market" rather than "timing the market" a lot.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:04 - Jul 16 with 1196 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 13:04 - Jul 16 by midastouch

This is a very good book in regard to long-term investing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unshakeable-Your-Guide-Financial-Freedom/dp/1471164934/

It repeats the mantra "time in the market" rather than "timing the market" a lot.

When people on a football forum are saying to buy a stock then it is probably time to sell would be my mantra if I had any shares.

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 21:56 - Jul 16 with 1176 viewsmidastouch

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 18:04 - Jul 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

When people on a football forum are saying to buy a stock then it is probably time to sell would be my mantra if I had any shares.

I was out for a stroll back in 2017 fairly near my local beach and three old guys were walking on the opposite side of the road and I heard them discussing Bitcoin.  About a week or two after that BTC dropped from a high of $20,000 to around $13,500!  Needless to say if I had asked those same three gentlemen about BTC when it was only $30 a coin they wouldn't have had a clue about it.  When everybody is talking about something in the markets, you've almost certainly arrived at the party much too late and the lights could go out any second!

I remember us talking previously about Max Keiser on here when he was saying to buy BTC at just $30 a coin. You weren't convinced then I recall.

The best financial book I've read on financial bubbles and wealth cycles is by Michael Maloney.

Now this is just a little hobby for me.  I'm not giving any buy or sell advice.  I just provided a little bit of technical analysis on Tesla thinking it might be of interest given that was in keeping with the theme of the thread and things developed (unexpectedly) from there, mainly in reference to back and forth with Bryan Plug who appears interested in the subject of investing.

In my defence, I said oil looked a great buy at around $5 not very long ago on here on another thread.  It's since increased 8 times in value from there.  An increase of x8 in less than 3 months isn't too bad!  I said Tesla looked ready to retrace some (further above on this thread) and look what happened shortly after.  Those were quick gains that could have been cashed out for a very big profit.  One in less than 3 months, one in less than 1 day!  It's not always about time in the market if you can read a chart, it's perfectly possible to time the market if you put in the homework.

But to be fair to you, no I certainly wouldn't ever rush out and buy stocks just because somebody on a football forum said so either!  :-)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 22:14]

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 22:19 - Jul 16 with 1146 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone else got shares in Tesla? on 21:56 - Jul 16 by midastouch

I was out for a stroll back in 2017 fairly near my local beach and three old guys were walking on the opposite side of the road and I heard them discussing Bitcoin.  About a week or two after that BTC dropped from a high of $20,000 to around $13,500!  Needless to say if I had asked those same three gentlemen about BTC when it was only $30 a coin they wouldn't have had a clue about it.  When everybody is talking about something in the markets, you've almost certainly arrived at the party much too late and the lights could go out any second!

I remember us talking previously about Max Keiser on here when he was saying to buy BTC at just $30 a coin. You weren't convinced then I recall.

The best financial book I've read on financial bubbles and wealth cycles is by Michael Maloney.

Now this is just a little hobby for me.  I'm not giving any buy or sell advice.  I just provided a little bit of technical analysis on Tesla thinking it might be of interest given that was in keeping with the theme of the thread and things developed (unexpectedly) from there, mainly in reference to back and forth with Bryan Plug who appears interested in the subject of investing.

In my defence, I said oil looked a great buy at around $5 not very long ago on here on another thread.  It's since increased 8 times in value from there.  An increase of x8 in less than 3 months isn't too bad!  I said Tesla looked ready to retrace some (further above on this thread) and look what happened shortly after.  Those were quick gains that could have been cashed out for a very big profit.  One in less than 3 months, one in less than 1 day!  It's not always about time in the market if you can read a chart, it's perfectly possible to time the market if you put in the homework.

But to be fair to you, no I certainly wouldn't ever rush out and buy stocks just because somebody on a football forum said so either!  :-)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 22:14]

My point was more general rather than specific to this thread...I wasn't even aware of anybody suggesting buying Tesla tbh. I think we may have discussed Max Keiser and silver....as I do not understand Bitcoin I have no opinion on it....how easy is it to convert into standard currency if you want to cash out?
Why do people defend these 100 and 200 day moving averages or is it all down to algorithms...all flies over my head tbf.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024