Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine 22:33 - Jul 13 with 20712 viewsElderGrizzly

About time too.

Pubs next?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 22:34 - Jul 13 with 4090 viewsgainsboroughblue

Nice of the UK to catch up.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 22:51 - Jul 13 with 4031 viewsCoastalblue

We went on one of the Thames Riverboats yesterday, it was a nice day and it's a 15minute walk to board at the Tower so thought why not?

It was fairly quiet, as you might expect, but there were constant announcements while were on the pontoon saying it's TFL policy that everybody has to wear a face covering.

Eventually, after multiple messages everybody did except for two seperate guys, I was aching to see them get refused on board but they weren't even questioned to my great disapointment.

Now I realise that both could have had an underlying health reason to not wear a covering, but it seemed unlikely that two young (30's probably) fit and healthy looking guys would coincidentally both be on the same river boat with underlying health conditions when there were only about 30 people in total.

What are people's motivations for doing this? I don't particularly like wearing a mask, but at times it's surely common courtesy to others.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:00 - Jul 13 with 3990 viewstextbackup

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 22:51 - Jul 13 by Coastalblue

We went on one of the Thames Riverboats yesterday, it was a nice day and it's a 15minute walk to board at the Tower so thought why not?

It was fairly quiet, as you might expect, but there were constant announcements while were on the pontoon saying it's TFL policy that everybody has to wear a face covering.

Eventually, after multiple messages everybody did except for two seperate guys, I was aching to see them get refused on board but they weren't even questioned to my great disapointment.

Now I realise that both could have had an underlying health reason to not wear a covering, but it seemed unlikely that two young (30's probably) fit and healthy looking guys would coincidentally both be on the same river boat with underlying health conditions when there were only about 30 people in total.

What are people's motivations for doing this? I don't particularly like wearing a mask, but at times it's surely common courtesy to others.

Some people believe they are untouchable, or have the right to do what they like.

Pathetic really.

Reminds me of first boys holiday, all in airport bar and the boarding gate comes up, Grab bag to leave. One awkward fck buys another beer ‘what, they won’t leave without us’ he’s the last person on the plane, and doors close as he gets on. ‘See told ya’ pointless, but just sheer awkward

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:03 - Jul 13 with 3976 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:00 - Jul 13 by textbackup

Some people believe they are untouchable, or have the right to do what they like.

Pathetic really.

Reminds me of first boys holiday, all in airport bar and the boarding gate comes up, Grab bag to leave. One awkward fck buys another beer ‘what, they won’t leave without us’ he’s the last person on the plane, and doors close as he gets on. ‘See told ya’ pointless, but just sheer awkward

Yeah you always get that element with the 'you can't tell me what to do' attitude.

Which is fine for them, until reality ends up punching them in the face.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:07 - Jul 13 with 3957 viewsCoastalblue

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:03 - Jul 13 by SpruceMoose

Yeah you always get that element with the 'you can't tell me what to do' attitude.

I'm not proud of it but I have a streak of that in me. There's a big difference though between sticking metaphorical fingers up at some silly or inane rule and doing something that could potentially put other people's lives at risk.

It's hard to fathom the selfishness of some people.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:08 - Jul 13 with 3952 viewsrgp1

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:03 - Jul 13 by SpruceMoose

Someone answer me this then. How are deaf people going to be able to communicate if they cant read peoples lips?
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:11 - Jul 13 with 3928 viewsCoastalblue

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:08 - Jul 13 by rgp1

Someone answer me this then. How are deaf people going to be able to communicate if they cant read peoples lips?

You suggesting these two guys were doing it for the benefit of deaf people?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:11 - Jul 13 with 3928 viewsjeera

Pen and paper or signage for those who can?

You think that's a good reason to risk spreading a disease?

There are also firms working on masks that are transparent to get around this.

Dunno, help come up with a few ideas.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:12 - Jul 13 with 3917 viewsSpruceMoose

Sign language where available, or writing things down? Even the best lip readers can only understand about 60% of what's being said, so I would imagine that people with hearing impairments have other strategies for dealing with public encounters anyway.

Failing that, clear masks are also available.

I'd also assume deaf people overwhelmingly have a preference for being deaf than being dead.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 23:13]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:13 - Jul 13 with 3910 viewsLankHenners

That exact situation is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:14 - Jul 13 with 3893 viewsrgp1

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:13 - Jul 13 by LankHenners

Does that mean shop workers don't have to wear them for that reason?
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:14 - Jul 13 with 3892 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:13 - Jul 13 by LankHenners

Quite. Not the 'Aha! Gotcha!' moment he was hoping for I suspect.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:16 - Jul 13 with 3877 viewsLankHenners

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:14 - Jul 13 by rgp1

You know the answer to that question and should be able to work out what would happen in that situation.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:16 - Jul 13 with 3867 viewsjeera

What point is it you think you're making?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:16 - Jul 13 with 3868 viewsClapham_Junction

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 22:51 - Jul 13 by Coastalblue

I've been on the tube a couple of times recently and I'd say at least a third of passengers were not wearing masks. TfL station staff should be refusing them entry or at least telling/asking them to put masks on (although given I have never seen them make any effort to challenge fare dodgers blatantly pushing through gates, sadly I'm not surprised).
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:17 - Jul 13 with 3856 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:16 - Jul 13 by LankHenners

You know the answer to that question and should be able to work out what would happen in that situation.

Won't somebody think of the mouthbreathers!?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:17 - Jul 13 with 3856 viewsCoastalblue

I would imagine a lot of shopworkers will wear the shields, which are clear, or may have a choice if they're behind a screen? I don't know, not seen the news yet.

A lot of the smaller shops around here have people in clear face shields, which I would imagine are probably more comfortable for all day wear too.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:19 - Jul 13 with 3829 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:17 - Jul 13 by Coastalblue

I would imagine a lot of shopworkers will wear the shields, which are clear, or may have a choice if they're behind a screen? I don't know, not seen the news yet.

A lot of the smaller shops around here have people in clear face shields, which I would imagine are probably more comfortable for all day wear too.

Living somewhere that has been using masks since April... This. It's not the big issue it's being made out to be.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:21 - Jul 13 with 3801 viewsLankHenners

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:16 - Jul 13 by Clapham_Junction

I've been on the tube a couple of times recently and I'd say at least a third of passengers were not wearing masks. TfL station staff should be refusing them entry or at least telling/asking them to put masks on (although given I have never seen them make any effort to challenge fare dodgers blatantly pushing through gates, sadly I'm not surprised).

Was speaking to my cousin the other day who lives in London and he said similar regards people not wearing masks on the tube. He said he (politely) confronted a group of people and one of them started getting really aggressive ('fck off, none of your business' etc.). Sadly a lot of tw@ts out there.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:25 - Jul 13 with 3778 viewsrgp1

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:16 - Jul 13 by jeera

What point is it you think you're making?

A lot of the guidance is unclear , like a lot of government advice is the point I am making.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:28 - Jul 13 with 3758 viewsjeera

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:25 - Jul 13 by rgp1

A lot of the guidance is unclear , like a lot of government advice is the point I am making.

Well you're not going to get much of an argument there.

The thing has been farcical.

But having a rule to wear a mask inside a shop is pretty clear.

As others have said, it's something that needs to be enforced everywhere for a time.

Yes, it will be harder for people who have hearing problems, but I'm sure most will be sensible enough to understand why and be able to make some further adjustments.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 23:28]

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:31 - Jul 13 with 3749 viewsrgp1

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:28 - Jul 13 by jeera

Well you're not going to get much of an argument there.

The thing has been farcical.

But having a rule to wear a mask inside a shop is pretty clear.

As others have said, it's something that needs to be enforced everywhere for a time.

Yes, it will be harder for people who have hearing problems, but I'm sure most will be sensible enough to understand why and be able to make some further adjustments.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 23:28]

Thank you for making that point. It's just a shame the government didn't do it back in March before destroying the entire public transport system.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:38 - Jul 13 with 3701 viewsMattinLondon

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:11 - Jul 13 by jeera

Pen and paper or signage for those who can?

You think that's a good reason to risk spreading a disease?

There are also firms working on masks that are transparent to get around this.

Dunno, help come up with a few ideas.

The government bringing in the new rule about masks is more motivated by economic necessity than by Covid. A lot of people aren’t flocking to the shops because they feel scared - by making people wear them they hope more people will spend in shops and kickstart the economy.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:39 - Jul 13 with 3688 viewsDebsyAngel

How do you prove you are exempt when have breathing problems and anxiety? Wave my inhaler to all and sundry? Going to do my anxiety the power of good and it's an ordeal now going into town once a week, and I force myself to do it otherwise I go insane being in the house 95% of my time. I have an exemption for the bus, but I cannot face having to argue with people in shops that I have certain invisible conditions that would worsen should I wear a mask. I tried to wear one and lasted 10 mins and nearly fainted. I cannot understand how pubs can be ok to not wear one, but going to a shop and keeping distance and using hand gel etc isn't?
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:44 - Jul 13 with 3663 viewsjeera

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:38 - Jul 13 by MattinLondon

The government bringing in the new rule about masks is more motivated by economic necessity than by Covid. A lot of people aren’t flocking to the shops because they feel scared - by making people wear them they hope more people will spend in shops and kickstart the economy.

I don't doubt that much either Matty.

And it still wont make me rush out and buy more stuff, but am happy to do my bit when I do go.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024