Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine 22:33 - Jul 13 with 20428 viewsElderGrizzly

About time too.

Pubs next?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:42 - Jul 14 with 2932 viewsbluelagos

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:40 - Jul 14 by SpruceMoose

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Outside dining and drinking has been available for about a month now. If you're out in public you're supposed to be wearing a mask anyway, but if you're seated at a table to eat and drink you can take it off. If you stand up and move around again the mask goes back on.

The problem I've seen though is a) businesses packing too many people in too close together, and b) people not sticking to the mask rules. That's why I won't be eating or drinking out for the time being.

Last week (or maybe the week before) inside dining and drinking was suppose to start again using the same rules. It was cancelled last minute though because where ever else in the country it had been tried cases spiked again.

Cheers

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:43 - Jul 14 with 2932 viewsjeera

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:34 - Jul 14 by bluelagos

You seem to contradict your self Sprucey.

You can eat but keep the mask on when not at your seat - but you say it is banned? Is it that you can eat outside only?

"If it's anything like here you can take your mask off once seated, but if you get up and move around then you have to be wearing it."

That's got to be outdoors hasn't it.

When you're up and about moving around past other tables wear a mask to protect them.

It's a logistical nightmare for trade owners isn't it, not that it can be helped. But boy is the whole thing fecked-up.

I don't want to eat or drink out under these circumstances but credit to those who are supporting business whilst following the rules and respecting others. And credit to the pub/restaurant etc owners who are pulling this off as well as they can.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:49 - Jul 14 with 2923 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:43 - Jul 14 by jeera

"If it's anything like here you can take your mask off once seated, but if you get up and move around then you have to be wearing it."

That's got to be outdoors hasn't it.

When you're up and about moving around past other tables wear a mask to protect them.

It's a logistical nightmare for trade owners isn't it, not that it can be helped. But boy is the whole thing fecked-up.

I don't want to eat or drink out under these circumstances but credit to those who are supporting business whilst following the rules and respecting others. And credit to the pub/restaurant etc owners who are pulling this off as well as they can.

It's like the wild west currently as 90% of places don't have outside space.

Many businesses are just sticking seats and tables on the path outside so pedestrians have to walk through a crowd of people to get by. I've even seen seating areas set up in the road in what were parking spaces on busy streets. Only seems like a matter of time before a car crashes into someone. I've also seen seating areas constructed out of pallets and tarpaulins. It's like a shanty town in places.

I've been buying food and drink to go from my regular haunts because, like you say, I want to support them but I'm not into the idea of sitting directly next to a stranger right now.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 17:52]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:53 - Jul 14 with 2908 viewsjeera

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:49 - Jul 14 by SpruceMoose

It's like the wild west currently as 90% of places don't have outside space.

Many businesses are just sticking seats and tables on the path outside so pedestrians have to walk through a crowd of people to get by. I've even seen seating areas set up in the road in what were parking spaces on busy streets. Only seems like a matter of time before a car crashes into someone. I've also seen seating areas constructed out of pallets and tarpaulins. It's like a shanty town in places.

I've been buying food and drink to go from my regular haunts because, like you say, I want to support them but I'm not into the idea of sitting directly next to a stranger right now.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 17:52]

They must be desperate mate.

Imagine seeing all you've worked for going down the pan and there's little you can do about it.

I suppose they'd stick tables on the roof if they thought it would bring in some cash.

I doubt they've got so much as the support that at least ours got over here.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:57 - Jul 14 with 2900 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:53 - Jul 14 by jeera

They must be desperate mate.

Imagine seeing all you've worked for going down the pan and there's little you can do about it.

I suppose they'd stick tables on the roof if they thought it would bring in some cash.

I doubt they've got so much as the support that at least ours got over here.

Yeah I completely understand and the city seems to understand too because nobody is enforcing anything right now. It's just concerning from a safety point of view.

I'm mainly thinking about these seating areas that are set up in the actual road, some near intersections making it difficult from traffic to see people crossing. Inebriated people and traffic seem like a recipe for disaster.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 18:03 - Jul 14 with 2888 viewsjeera

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:57 - Jul 14 by SpruceMoose

Yeah I completely understand and the city seems to understand too because nobody is enforcing anything right now. It's just concerning from a safety point of view.

I'm mainly thinking about these seating areas that are set up in the actual road, some near intersections making it difficult from traffic to see people crossing. Inebriated people and traffic seem like a recipe for disaster.

Oh I fully appreciate that.

Dunno what to say. There's going to be a lot more people out of work from this as yet and it's hard.

Like you, I try to buy what I can from regular haunts but to be honest, there has been some contrast in the way some places have gone about things.

My local hasn't made the effort a rival has down the road and I have found myself gravitating towards the rival because of it.

Constant updates online of new weekly menus, deliveries, collection, reminders of their safety standards and expectations of customers... They've really put themselves out to stay relevant.

That's not to criticise some of the others but the difference in imagination and execution has been obvious.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 18:36 - Jul 14 with 2853 viewsSonOfSpock

Think the horse has bolted.

Face coverings and quarantine a few months back may have been in order.

I appreciate there is now a debate about face coverings actually working or not, but, it couldnt have done any harm early doors?
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 18:40 - Jul 14 with 2843 viewsjeera

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 18:36 - Jul 14 by SonOfSpock

I appreciate there is now a debate about face coverings actually working or not, but, it couldnt have done any harm early doors?

They were selling on ebay for 15 quid for just half a mask back then.

You then had to bid for the other half or find someone willing to trade.

Now you can buy a pack of 20 for the same money.

Don't get me wrong - you're right in what you say, it would have been logical for us to have worn them then if they were available.

Login to get fewer ads

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 22:54 - Jul 14 with 2785 viewsBlueBadger

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:23 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

Then their customers will be asking them to cancel their subscriptions. Expecting people to exercise in a face mask is too far

Mate, I work 12 hour shifts in a physical job in one. I'm sure fitness freaks can manage an hour in one if it means they can bore us arseless telling us about their cross-spin lifts.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 22:57]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:25 - Jul 15 with 2725 viewslightuser

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 22:54 - Jul 14 by BlueBadger

Mate, I work 12 hour shifts in a physical job in one. I'm sure fitness freaks can manage an hour in one if it means they can bore us arseless telling us about their cross-spin lifts.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 22:57]

So, why are all footballers, cyclists etc not wearing them whilst competing?

Perhaps, we need better experiments from qualified sports scientists, than this surgeon just standing there saying how annoyed he is? I was expecting him to a least run on a treadmill for 5 minutes.

He only "proved", being stationary has no effect with respect to CO2 levels, not, for example, restricted airflow whilst exercising, or maybe other as yet unknown effects.

I wear an N95, whilst going into shopping and it screws me after 5 minutes, especially when it's hot. There is absolutely no way that I could wear one for long if excercising (obviously this is just my personal anecdotal experience, same as yours, but uncoloured by arrogance).
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:38 - Jul 15 with 2702 viewsRyorry

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:50 - Jul 14 by itfcjoe

I think it will, one shop insisted on wearing one when I was out on Sunday - it's a pain and not that comfortable, for someone wearing glasses guess even more so.

It was nice having a normal days shopping, now I won't bother to do that sort of trip, I'll pop in as and when I need things but won't be a browser or used as an activity for me as too much hassle with the kids

As a glasses wearer (varifocals) I find continuous wearing of a mask impossible, as the specs steam up literally within 2 breaths. Being mildly asthmatic & also still having full-on hayfever also makes things difficult, but out of necessity I cottoned on (sorry) quickly to 1) lowering the mask to my chin when no-one within 2m & replacing it when they were and 2) holding my breath at times. Probably easier to do in more lightly populated areas like mine.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:45 - Jul 15 with 2700 viewsvapour_trail

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:23 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

Then their customers will be asking them to cancel their subscriptions. Expecting people to exercise in a face mask is too far

Bang on. Anyone who thinks wearing a mask in a gym is plausible is a stranger to excercise.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:50 - Jul 15 with 2694 viewsvapour_trail

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 18:36 - Jul 14 by SonOfSpock

They couldn’t consider it early doors as there wasn’t enough masks for people caring with people who had the illness.

So fair enough it wasn’t considered early doors really.

As with most elements of this last 6 months however, it’s been a muddled and inconsistent process to get us to where we are.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 01:21 - Jul 15 with 2666 viewsNewcyBlue

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:45 - Jul 15 by vapour_trail

Bang on. Anyone who thinks wearing a mask in a gym is plausible is a stranger to excercise.

Apart from those goons in altitude training masks!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 06:54 - Jul 15 with 2595 viewssolomon

Can’t wait for them to be mandatory in the office especially useful in the constant stream of pointless meetings my superiors call, I can mouth obscenities at them .

Could be fun
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 06:56 - Jul 15 with 2592 viewsbluelagos

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:38 - Jul 15 by Ryorry

As a glasses wearer (varifocals) I find continuous wearing of a mask impossible, as the specs steam up literally within 2 breaths. Being mildly asthmatic & also still having full-on hayfever also makes things difficult, but out of necessity I cottoned on (sorry) quickly to 1) lowering the mask to my chin when no-one within 2m & replacing it when they were and 2) holding my breath at times. Probably easier to do in more lightly populated areas like mine.

Maybe try a lightweight neck warmer / bandana. I have similar issues on a motorbike when a visor mists up. Bandana over my mouth and nose prevents this.

Cyclist or motorbike shop usually sell them, or just google away.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:06 - Jul 15 with 2541 viewsBlueBadger

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:25 - Jul 15 by lightuser

So, why are all footballers, cyclists etc not wearing them whilst competing?

Perhaps, we need better experiments from qualified sports scientists, than this surgeon just standing there saying how annoyed he is? I was expecting him to a least run on a treadmill for 5 minutes.

He only "proved", being stationary has no effect with respect to CO2 levels, not, for example, restricted airflow whilst exercising, or maybe other as yet unknown effects.

I wear an N95, whilst going into shopping and it screws me after 5 minutes, especially when it's hot. There is absolutely no way that I could wear one for long if excercising (obviously this is just my personal anecdotal experience, same as yours, but uncoloured by arrogance).

Probably because they're out in the open air, not gasping, panting and sweating everywhere in a confined, air conditioned box like most gyms are.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 10:09]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:11 - Jul 15 with 2528 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:45 - Jul 15 by vapour_trail

Well yes, clearly. Pretty mental to think otherwise really

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:18 - Jul 15 with 2515 viewssparks

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:38 - Jul 15 by Ryorry

If you can get the diy ones- they have a soft metal bar across the nose, which can be pinched to fit and avoids moist air being driven up under your glasses.

I ran out a couple of months ago because I use them for woodworking etc- but they do help.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:42 - Jul 15 with 2491 viewsBlueBadger

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:57 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

To be clear, I have absolutely no issues in shops, trains, buses wherever. But asking people running on a treadmill to do so with a mask on is utterly ludicrous.

As someone who's done CPR for 30 minutes(holding a cardiac arrest bleep is one of the the reason I don't feel the need to go to a gym) in full FFP3 grade kit, my sympathies for these whinging fannies is very limited, I'm afraid. It's just a small piece of cloth, as opposed to a medical-grade-leaves-pressure-sores-on-your-face piece of kit.

And one that you'll be wearing for an hour or so rather than all day.

Want to run without a mask? Go to the park, rather than the gym.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 10:59]

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:20 - Jul 15 with 2443 views26_Paz

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:42 - Jul 15 by BlueBadger

As someone who's done CPR for 30 minutes(holding a cardiac arrest bleep is one of the the reason I don't feel the need to go to a gym) in full FFP3 grade kit, my sympathies for these whinging fannies is very limited, I'm afraid. It's just a small piece of cloth, as opposed to a medical-grade-leaves-pressure-sores-on-your-face piece of kit.

I won’t wear one in a gym, if they bring that in I’ll be cancelling. It’s stupid.

The Paz Man

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:40 - Jul 15 with 2410 viewsLibero

I can only assume you have limited experience with masks?
I could happily do my gym routine with my mask on, it wouldn't effect me one bit, other than maybe steaming up my glasses if I'm wearing them.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:42 - Jul 15 with 2403 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:20 - Jul 15 by 26_Paz

I won’t wear one in a gym, if they bring that in I’ll be cancelling. It’s stupid.

One less berk in the gym, who said Covid-19 is all negative?
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:43 - Jul 15 with 2394 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:42 - Jul 15 by BlueBadger

I think maybe those objecting haven't used a variety of masks/PPE mate, the way they're reacting you'd think you're asking them to work out with a pair of rolled up socks in their mouth.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 12:44]
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:21 - Jul 15 with 2349 viewsEly_Blue

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:57 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

To be clear, I have absolutely no issues in shops, trains, buses wherever. But asking people running on a treadmill to do so with a mask on is utterly ludicrous.

So you’re happy with people to be in an enclosed space in a gym where they are breathing more heavily, therefore meaning any airborne particles will travel further with no masks? If people are expected to wear them in other enclosed public spaces to protect each other then why should the gym be any different?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024