Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine 22:33 - Jul 13 with 20623 viewsElderGrizzly

About time too.

Pubs next?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:27 - Jul 15 with 3332 viewsEly_Blue

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:25 - Jul 15 by lightuser

So, why are all footballers, cyclists etc not wearing them whilst competing?

Perhaps, we need better experiments from qualified sports scientists, than this surgeon just standing there saying how annoyed he is? I was expecting him to a least run on a treadmill for 5 minutes.

He only "proved", being stationary has no effect with respect to CO2 levels, not, for example, restricted airflow whilst exercising, or maybe other as yet unknown effects.

I wear an N95, whilst going into shopping and it screws me after 5 minutes, especially when it's hot. There is absolutely no way that I could wear one for long if excercising (obviously this is just my personal anecdotal experience, same as yours, but uncoloured by arrogance).

Do you really need the bit about footballers and cyclists explaining to you vs a gym?

Let me put this in simple terms for you, your examples are of OUTSIDE exercise a gym is (in the same way as a shop etc) and INDOOR environment!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:35 - Jul 15 with 3315 viewsstonojnr

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:38 - Jul 15 by Ryorry

As a glasses wearer (varifocals) I find continuous wearing of a mask impossible, as the specs steam up literally within 2 breaths. Being mildly asthmatic & also still having full-on hayfever also makes things difficult, but out of necessity I cottoned on (sorry) quickly to 1) lowering the mask to my chin when no-one within 2m & replacing it when they were and 2) holding my breath at times. Probably easier to do in more lightly populated areas like mine.

but thats the problem, unless you are sanitising your hands everytime before you do that, actually constantly touching your mask and adjusting it means anything your hands have touched ends up on the mask and since that probably includes Covid19 or any germs left on surfaces of doorhandles, worktops, objects youve touched, youve put it directly on your mask so it can more easily infect you and others.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:44 - Jul 15 with 3294 viewsvapour_trail

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:20 - Jul 15 by 26_Paz

I won’t wear one in a gym, if they bring that in I’ll be cancelling. It’s stupid.

Likewise, so it’ll be two fewer berks - your admirer will need to amend his post.

I’m happy to carry on running outside but I do miss the weights.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:51 - Jul 15 with 3270 viewsvapour_trail

I saw two yoofs out and about yesterday evening, both with masks on, sharing a bottle of lucozade, which amused me greatly.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:53 - Jul 15 with 3264 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:44 - Jul 15 by vapour_trail

Likewise, so it’ll be two fewer berks - your admirer will need to amend his post.

I’m happy to carry on running outside but I do miss the weights.

...I notice you didn't respond to my post to you.

What masks have you used mate?

Honestly can't get my head around why you couldn't just work out with one.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:55 - Jul 15 with 3255 viewsvapour_trail

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:53 - Jul 15 by Libero

Because I don’t want to.

I enjoy my time in the gym and I won’t enjoy it with a mask on, its as simple as that. I won’t be road testing until I find one I like. I’ll be out running.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:57 - Jul 15 with 3242 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:55 - Jul 15 by vapour_trail

Because I don’t want to.

I enjoy my time in the gym and I won’t enjoy it with a mask on, its as simple as that. I won’t be road testing until I find one I like. I’ll be out running.

You daft git.

If you don't want to, fine. Just don't understand those that act as if it's impossible to exercise with one on, quite frankly that's ridiculous.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:13]
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:01 - Jul 15 with 3226 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:21 - Jul 15 by Ely_Blue

So you’re happy with people to be in an enclosed space in a gym where they are breathing more heavily, therefore meaning any airborne particles will travel further with no masks? If people are expected to wear them in other enclosed public spaces to protect each other then why should the gym be any different?

He’s not wrong though, it clearly isn’t practical. If gyms are not deemed safe to open without a mask then they shouldn’t be opened

I also can’t see that anyone has demanded they should be allowed into them without one, just various posters saying they won’t use them and will cancel memberships if this is the case, which is completely understandable

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:02 - Jul 15 with 3218 viewsjeera

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:55 - Jul 15 by vapour_trail

Because I don’t want to.

Lots of outdoor training you can do, like find an old boy with his horse and cart stuck somewhere and drag them to safety. Take your missus to work on a sled...

Gyms are for soft Russians:

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:11 - Jul 15 with 3193 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:01 - Jul 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He’s not wrong though, it clearly isn’t practical. If gyms are not deemed safe to open without a mask then they shouldn’t be opened

I also can’t see that anyone has demanded they should be allowed into them without one, just various posters saying they won’t use them and will cancel memberships if this is the case, which is completely understandable

I think you're asking a wider question really - Should any of this stuff really be open?

I think it's fairly evident that we're putting economics ahead of people's health.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:12]
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:20 - Jul 15 with 3165 viewssparks

Because I don’t want to.

Sounds absolutely fine and reasonable to me. You have a choice- and can exercise it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:22 - Jul 15 with 3162 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:20 - Jul 15 by sparks

Sounds absolutely fine and reasonable to me. You have a choice- and can exercise it.

Absolutely, it's just somewhat difference to the original assertion that anyone that's familiar to exercise knows you can't exercise with a mask, which is b0llocks.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:24]
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:26 - Jul 15 with 3143 viewsRyorry

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 06:56 - Jul 15 by bluelagos

Maybe try a lightweight neck warmer / bandana. I have similar issues on a motorbike when a visor mists up. Bandana over my mouth and nose prevents this.

Cyclist or motorbike shop usually sell them, or just google away.

Saw the earlier post - thanks, will certainly look at new them. Meanwhile have a lightweight neck warmer in drawer to try. I think they'll definitely be easier to manage.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:29 - Jul 15 with 3141 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:11 - Jul 15 by Libero

I think you're asking a wider question really - Should any of this stuff really be open?

I think it's fairly evident that we're putting economics ahead of people's health.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:12]

Of course although I do think economics and heath are linked in the longer run, and that there is a need to get businesses moving where possible - but that’s an entirely different subject really

I just think declaring that masks have to be worn in gyms is completely impractical, in much the same way as it would be if it was a requirement at all times in restaurants and pubs

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:30 - Jul 15 with 3134 viewsRyorry

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:18 - Jul 15 by sparks

If you can get the diy ones- they have a soft metal bar across the nose, which can be pinched to fit and avoids moist air being driven up under your glasses.

I ran out a couple of months ago because I use them for woodworking etc- but they do help.

Thanks - I did think there must be better ones out there - the (pack of 3) I had were an afterthought when buying veg plugs online in March from garden centre - they're meant to be dust masks for gardening - tho the nurse at GP surgery said mine was better than hers!

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:34 - Jul 15 with 3115 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:29 - Jul 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Of course although I do think economics and heath are linked in the longer run, and that there is a need to get businesses moving where possible - but that’s an entirely different subject really

I just think declaring that masks have to be worn in gyms is completely impractical, in much the same way as it would be if it was a requirement at all times in restaurants and pubs

Aye, you're probably right, but so much of what has been recommended is completely impractical, it's no more ridiculous than various other measures and advice put in place.

What's ridiculous is opening them in the first place.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 14:34]
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 14:35 - Jul 15 with 3107 viewsRyorry

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:35 - Jul 15 by stonojnr

but thats the problem, unless you are sanitising your hands everytime before you do that, actually constantly touching your mask and adjusting it means anything your hands have touched ends up on the mask and since that probably includes Covid19 or any germs left on surfaces of doorhandles, worktops, objects youve touched, youve put it directly on your mask so it can more easily infect you and others.

The material's v. thick, I was only touching the outside of it & not touching anything else before sanitising my hands when getting back to vehicle. And surely the virus on the outside of the mask can't jump off it like a flea, then onto something/somebody else!

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 15:27 - Jul 15 with 3079 views26_Paz

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:21 - Jul 15 by Ely_Blue

So you’re happy with people to be in an enclosed space in a gym where they are breathing more heavily, therefore meaning any airborne particles will travel further with no masks? If people are expected to wear them in other enclosed public spaces to protect each other then why should the gym be any different?

No matter what my fan boy on here might say I just don’t see how anyone can work out with a mask on ... if people think that’s going to be comfortable then maybe they’re not working out hard enough! Can’t see it being mandated in gyms for the above reason but if it is I will just not go, my choice.

The Paz Man

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 15:28 - Jul 15 with 3071 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 15:27 - Jul 15 by 26_Paz

No matter what my fan boy on here might say I just don’t see how anyone can work out with a mask on ... if people think that’s going to be comfortable then maybe they’re not working out hard enough! Can’t see it being mandated in gyms for the above reason but if it is I will just not go, my choice.

LOL.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 15:59 - Jul 15 with 3040 viewsitfcjoe

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 13:53 - Jul 15 by Libero

It's clearly massively uncomfortable, as someone who has had to wear masks for work previously iut clearly restricts your breathing and makes things more difficult.

It seems too many people are conflating people anti wearing a mask at all as an invasion of their human rights and those who think wearing a mask is uncomnfortable and something to be avoided if it can be by doing something alternate.

I couldn't do one of my exercise classes in a mask

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:18 - Jul 15 with 3026 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 15:59 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

It's clearly massively uncomfortable, as someone who has had to wear masks for work previously iut clearly restricts your breathing and makes things more difficult.

It seems too many people are conflating people anti wearing a mask at all as an invasion of their human rights and those who think wearing a mask is uncomnfortable and something to be avoided if it can be by doing something alternate.

I couldn't do one of my exercise classes in a mask

Sincerely, it depends what mask you're wearing.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:45 - Jul 15 with 2996 viewsitfcjoe

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:18 - Jul 15 by Libero

There isn't a mask which doesn't make it more difficult to take in air

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:52 - Jul 15 with 2991 viewslightuser

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:18 - Jul 15 by Libero

Guinuinly interested to know which ones you would recommend? I currently use an cloth N95 type, that reduces the airflow too much for any sort of fast carcdio, fitness regime (burpees/sparring etc).
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:56 - Jul 15 with 2981 viewsRyorry

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:52 - Jul 15 by lightuser

Guinuinly interested to know which ones you would recommend? I currently use an cloth N95 type, that reduces the airflow too much for any sort of fast carcdio, fitness regime (burpees/sparring etc).

I'd love a review thread for face masks, including photos.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 17:10 - Jul 15 with 2958 viewsLibero

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 16:45 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

There isn't a mask which doesn't make it more difficult to take in air

I’ve got 3, all for different things. One which I acquired from work wouldn’t be a problem to exercise in, other than getting extra sweaty.

The other two I wouldn’t dream of it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024