Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) 09:24 - Jul 14 with 3125 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 12:09 - Jul 14 with 634 viewspointofblue

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 11:26 - Jul 14 by itfcjoe

Not Wayne Brown after his spell at Maldon who are almost their feeder club?

For Colchester fans, Brown is a bit of a risk politically after he claimed to have voted for the BNP when at Leicester in 2010.

McGreal was not highly rated by those on the forums, at the very least, with most happy to see him go. They think he’s underachieved with the squad available to him.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 12:23 - Jul 14 with 606 viewsLibero

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 12:09 - Jul 14 by pointofblue

For Colchester fans, Brown is a bit of a risk politically after he claimed to have voted for the BNP when at Leicester in 2010.

McGreal was not highly rated by those on the forums, at the very least, with most happy to see him go. They think he’s underachieved with the squad available to him.

That was quite a while ago and he's worked in football ever since, I don't expect that will even enter the clubs thinking when selecting a first team manager.
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:11 - Jul 14 with 555 viewsSharkey

"McGreal was not highly rated by those on the forums"; that's very probably true, but the U's are not blessed with a good line in forums, even for a club that size. ( Unless you know of a forum I don't.) I think a lot of fans liked the attractive football that was played, and remember a lot of sparkling performances in league games and this season some very resolute performances against Premiership sides.

I think a lot of fans will be very sorry to see John McG go, although if he'd got the Tranmere job it would have been a good thing all round. (I can only think that the chairman was hoping he'd get that job, so all could end amicably, and expect Tranmere to appoint someone else very soon.)

Interesting to see who comes in next. Joe Cole is an interesting name mentioned, though the statement suggests it will be someone from within the club. Personally I'd like to see Geraint Williams brought back,at least as assistant, but I wonder if he has the appetite for the huge amount of travelling league management involves.
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:28 - Jul 14 with 535 viewshoppy

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 09:44 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

I heard this was on the cards some while ago. Doesn't seem to have fitted into the plans of Tony Humes, the director of football, and the other management staff.

What would've happened if he had managed to steer them up through the playoffs? Would they have still maintained that McGreal wasn't aligned to their new academy focussed plan?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:37 - Jul 14 with 516 viewsPhilTWTD

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:28 - Jul 14 by hoppy

What would've happened if he had managed to steer them up through the playoffs? Would they have still maintained that McGreal wasn't aligned to their new academy focussed plan?

Would have been a difficult decision, wouldn't it? Hard to sack a head coach when he's won you promotion but equally if he's not he man you see taking the club forward in the manner you want then you have to make the change.
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:38 - Jul 14 with 509 viewsLibero

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:37 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

Would have been a difficult decision, wouldn't it? Hard to sack a head coach when he's won you promotion but equally if he's not he man you see taking the club forward in the manner you want then you have to make the change.

Is McGreal to Tranmere off? I assumed he was leaving Colchester whatever happened in the playoffs after seeing him linked with them.
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:43 - Jul 14 with 496 viewsPhilTWTD

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:38 - Jul 14 by Libero

Is McGreal to Tranmere off? I assumed he was leaving Colchester whatever happened in the playoffs after seeing him linked with them.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Tranmere job coming up, has been on the cards for months.
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:56 - Jul 14 with 469 viewsLibero

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:43 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

I don't think it has anything to do with the Tranmere job coming up, has been on the cards for months.

Weird that they wouldn't hold out and wait for a Tranmere approach in order to recoup some compensation.

That suggests to me that Colchester may be looking at an outside hire and that time is off the essence, as if you're going to appoint from inside the club you'd surely just wait!
Login to get fewer ads

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 14:43 - Jul 14 with 429 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I'm surprised to think that they believe he has underachieved.

Finished 1 place outside the play-offs, then this year they make the play-offs, think they have made steady progression.

I think the top end is much of a muchness up there, nothing too much in squad quality. Think he has done well to have them up there 2 years on the bounce.

Would be surprised if they're top 10 next year.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 15:04 - Jul 14 with 420 viewsPhilTWTD

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 13:56 - Jul 14 by Libero

Weird that they wouldn't hold out and wait for a Tranmere approach in order to recoup some compensation.

That suggests to me that Colchester may be looking at an outside hire and that time is off the essence, as if you're going to appoint from inside the club you'd surely just wait!

True and someone has just said similar to me, that they may be looking outside rather than in-house so my De Souza suggestion and Wayne Brown might well be off the mark.
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 15:10 - Jul 14 with 405 viewsLibero

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 15:04 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

True and someone has just said similar to me, that they may be looking outside rather than in-house so my De Souza suggestion and Wayne Brown might well be off the mark.

You've worked with Dyer before Phil, can you rule him out of the running for this job?
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 15:14 - Jul 14 with 403 viewsPhilTWTD

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 15:10 - Jul 14 by Libero

You've worked with Dyer before Phil, can you rule him out of the running for this job?

You make it sound like I'm Terry Connor to his Mick McCarthy. I could see its attractions from his perspective at this point in his career.
John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 15:19 - Jul 14 with 393 viewsLibero

John McGreal sacked by Col U (n/t) on 15:14 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

You make it sound like I'm Terry Connor to his Mick McCarthy. I could see its attractions from his perspective at this point in his career.

I'm just giving you the digital shake down, you knew McGreal was off early doors, thought you'd be well placed to know if Kieron was in the running for the job!
Give it to Sol. (n/t) on 15:42 - Jul 14 with 369 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024