Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book Restoration 16:23 - Jul 14 with 924 viewsKropotkin123

I'm in the London area and had a family book from the early 1800s returned to me by a randomer via a family tree website. It was out of the family for a good 40-50 years and has been returned in poor condition, so needs proper care and attention.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone recommend a place from personal experience? I feel somewhat out of my depth!

... Already use google, so don't need a lmgtfy!

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Book Restoration on 16:26 - Jul 14 with 903 viewsfooters

You are JR Hartley and I claim my five pounds.

I do know an old skool bookbinder based in Nodge. I can ask her if she also does restoration work too if you'd like, or knows someone that does.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Book Restoration on 16:35 - Jul 14 with 876 viewsKropotkin123

Book Restoration on 16:26 - Jul 14 by footers

You are JR Hartley and I claim my five pounds.

I do know an old skool bookbinder based in Nodge. I can ask her if she also does restoration work too if you'd like, or knows someone that does.

Because of the condition of the book, I don't really want to entrust the delivery to a third party. So I'd prefer to go somewhere in the London area, so I can deliver it in person.

I appreciate the offer though and if I don't have any luck I will DM you. Thank you.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 16:35]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Book Restoration on 17:18 - Jul 14 with 849 viewsGeoffSentence

I can't help you I am afraid, except to ensure that you avoid the schoolboy error that I made a few years ago in a similar situation. I had an old, but loved book that I felt could do with rebinding perhaps in leather or something nice. This was in the days before the internet was a thing so I looked up bookmakers and binders in the yellow pages and found a place on Foxhall Road and rang them up.

They p1ssed themselves laughing because, of course, they were a bookmaker, as in a bookies, not a bookbinder.

That said I have just looked in the yellow pages again and there is someone listed as the Book Surgeon under bookbinding, in Kesgrave they list their numbers as 07563 709355 and 07921 125119.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Book Restoration on 17:39 - Jul 14 with 820 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Book Restoration on 18:18 - Jul 14 with 781 viewsPerublue

Book Restoration on 17:18 - Jul 14 by GeoffSentence

I can't help you I am afraid, except to ensure that you avoid the schoolboy error that I made a few years ago in a similar situation. I had an old, but loved book that I felt could do with rebinding perhaps in leather or something nice. This was in the days before the internet was a thing so I looked up bookmakers and binders in the yellow pages and found a place on Foxhall Road and rang them up.

They p1ssed themselves laughing because, of course, they were a bookmaker, as in a bookies, not a bookbinder.

That said I have just looked in the yellow pages again and there is someone listed as the Book Surgeon under bookbinding, in Kesgrave they list their numbers as 07563 709355 and 07921 125119.

This was in the days before the internet was a thing so I looked up bookmakers and binders in the yellow pages and found a place on Foxhall Road and rang them up.

I am guessing this would have been Krullind (Now Ladbrokes) next to the closed again Railway pub.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Book Restoration on 21:44 - Jul 14 with 722 viewsJasper

I think one of wife's friends is involved in book restoration, but don't really know exactly what she does (I really need to listen more). Let me check and I'll let you know. Definitely somewhere in London.
Book Restoration on 22:32 - Jul 14 with 701 viewsCoastalblue

I'll be interested to see what responses you get as I'm also in the London area and my Mum has a family bible which has been around since the year dot and has the scars to prove it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Book Restoration on 08:03 - Jul 15 with 638 viewsKropotkin123

Book Restoration on 21:44 - Jul 14 by Jasper

I think one of wife's friends is involved in book restoration, but don't really know exactly what she does (I really need to listen more). Let me check and I'll let you know. Definitely somewhere in London.

Thank you, that would be awesome.

Login to get fewer ads

Book Restoration on 08:59 - Jul 15 with 608 viewsBloomBlue

Book Restoration on 17:39 - Jul 14 by factual_blue

What a fantastic program, the BBC at it's best and they recently did a book restore on a book from approx 1905 if I remember correctly. Plus if they accept you onto it they do the restore for free
Book Restoration on 09:06 - Jul 15 with 594 viewsChondzoresk

Try Tomblands area of Norwich. Plenty of Antiquarian bookshops there.
Book Restoration on 11:04 - Jul 15 with 568 viewsGeoffSentence

Book Restoration on 18:18 - Jul 14 by Perublue

This was in the days before the internet was a thing so I looked up bookmakers and binders in the yellow pages and found a place on Foxhall Road and rang them up.

I am guessing this would have been Krullind (Now Ladbrokes) next to the closed again Railway pub.

That was the one, I couldn't remeber its name.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024