Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge 19:21 - Jul 14 with 3204 viewsPinewoodblue

Sorry it's Daily Mail but it is 100% right.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/columnist-1020688/Martin-Samuel-Sport-Daily-Ma

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 10:28 - Jul 15 with 574 viewsMeadowlark

Can we start another group for Norwich related posts? The increasing number of budgie related posts on here is both depressing and annoying.
I know I don't have to read them.
I don't read them, but I still see them.
3 in 3 days......? on 10:41 - Jul 15 with 544 viewsBloots

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 10:28 - Jul 15 by Meadowlark

Can we start another group for Norwich related posts? The increasing number of budgie related posts on here is both depressing and annoying.
I know I don't have to read them.
I don't read them, but I still see them.

.....you are very easily "depressed and annoyed".

Anyone that doesn't get at least some pleasure out of them being relegated (from whatever league) is a totally joyless individual.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:05 - Jul 15 with 518 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 10:20 - Jul 15 by tractorboy1978

£54m of that was on Berge (signed in January) and McBurnie.

My point is they've not totally renovated their side. It's largely the same team and they've had huge success whilst Norwich simply haven't done the same.

Mousset and Robinson weren't cheap either. Pretty sure they would both have been record signings if not for the huge sums spent on the other two. Whilst they haven't entirely overhauled their squad they have spent big money to improve it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:49 - Jul 15 with 479 viewsoldburian

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:05 - Jul 15 by Herbivore

Mousset and Robinson weren't cheap either. Pretty sure they would both have been record signings if not for the huge sums spent on the other two. Whilst they haven't entirely overhauled their squad they have spent big money to improve it.

Norwich will be relatively much stronger next season and will probably walk the Championship and then they will have better resources to be a mid-table Premier side. It is a long term plan that stands every chance of succeeding, unfortunately.

I just wish we were in that same position instead we a mid-table 3rd Division side, totally embarrassing.
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:55 - Jul 15 with 471 viewsrickw

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:05 - Jul 15 by Herbivore

From what I can see it was
Robinson 8m
Mousset 10m
McBurnie 18m rising to 20m
Berge 22m

Berrge was perhaps only signed as they knew they'd be in the PL next season, so they spent around 40m in the summer.

As you get around 100m more per season in the PL I would say a 40m spend is about the right balance - to give yourself a chance of survival but also to clear some debts/prepare for relegation.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:57 - Jul 15 with 469 viewsgiant_stow

What an utterly stupid article, devoid of all context.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 12:00 - Jul 15 with 468 viewsrickw

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:49 - Jul 15 by oldburian

Norwich will be relatively much stronger next season and will probably walk the Championship and then they will have better resources to be a mid-table Premier side. It is a long term plan that stands every chance of succeeding, unfortunately.

I just wish we were in that same position instead we a mid-table 3rd Division side, totally embarrassing.

I'd be surprised if they do.
For all but about a 7 month spell Farke has struggled - I think when we first played them last season they were below PH's Ipswich in the league with talk Farke was gone if they lost, they then went on a great run and got promoted.

Teams that get relegated often struggle at first in the Championship as they've had all confidence knocked out of them - especially if they've lost 1 or 2 star players.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 12:02 - Jul 15 with 465 viewsgiant_stow

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 09:22 - Jul 15 by PrideOfTheEast

Norwich have no wealth behind them in the scheme of things so what choice do they have. If they'd spent £100m and got relegated and then not promoted again quickly they'd be bust.

Not sure it's fully appreciated the difficulty they would have been had they not got promoted last season.

A more imaginative bit of journalism would have pointed to this as being what's wrong with the system.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 9:22]

This this this. Its not hard.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 12:37 - Jul 15 with 448 viewsBluefish

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:36 - Jul 14 by waveneyblue

So you are supporting the Norwich model. Get promoted, get relegated, get promoted repeat.

And for that getting paid 40 million to do just that.

It's what creates the farce of finances in the Championship

I support that model and it is ehat I have said we should do if we ever went up. It is part of the reason that I don't wish to go to the Premier League. It isnt football anymore

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Blub (n/t) on 13:34 - Jul 15 with 420 viewsBloots

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:57 - Jul 15 by giant_stow

What an utterly stupid article, devoid of all context.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 14:53 - Jul 15 with 384 viewsSamWhiteUK

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:36 - Jul 14 by PJH

Although they do seem to have gone into the season, on their own admission, thinking 'we have got no chance of staying up so we will not bother to try'.

And they have made themselves look bloody stupid for it, as Sheff Utd are doing a pretty good job of staying up
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 15:00 - Jul 15 with 382 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 11:55 - Jul 15 by rickw

From what I can see it was
Robinson 8m
Mousset 10m
McBurnie 18m rising to 20m
Berge 22m

Berrge was perhaps only signed as they knew they'd be in the PL next season, so they spent around 40m in the summer.

As you get around 100m more per season in the PL I would say a 40m spend is about the right balance - to give yourself a chance of survival but also to clear some debts/prepare for relegation.

Add another £15m or so for Freeman, Osborn and Robinson. So that's £55m in the summer and another £20m on one player in January. That's decent spending. Not necessarily reckless but certainly pretty hefty. It's probably not far off being more than we've spent on fees in our entire history. One important difference between Sheffield United and Norwich is that, in addition to parachute payments, United have an owner with deep pockets to cushion them should they fail.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024