Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge 19:21 - Jul 14 with 3217 viewsPinewoodblue

Sorry it's Daily Mail but it is 100% right.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/columnist-1020688/Martin-Samuel-Sport-Daily-Ma

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:25 - Jul 14 with 2603 viewsHerbivore

Much as I like anyone ripping into Norwich I can't get on board with the sentiment of the article. He's simply encouraging reckless spending as a virtue and criticising Norwich for not following that path.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:27 - Jul 14 with 2570 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not clicking that.

But I’ve a forecast. Fast forward 9-10 months when they secure promotion with 5 games to go because they took the money from this season to keep most of the squad together, he’ll be fawning all over them. Def info.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:29 - Jul 14 with 2558 viewswaveneyblue

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:25 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

Much as I like anyone ripping into Norwich I can't get on board with the sentiment of the article. He's simply encouraging reckless spending as a virtue and criticising Norwich for not following that path.

But he is right in the way that they pretty much accepted relegation from day one. Why get a reward for failure?Parachute payments shouldn't even be a thing unless you've been in the league for at least 3 years. Not enjoying your third relegation in about 6 years.
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:29 - Jul 14 with 2563 viewspointofblue

I think the article exposes everything that is wrong with football perfectly. It’s a shame Martin Samuel cannot see it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:34 - Jul 14 with 2523 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:29 - Jul 14 by waveneyblue

But he is right in the way that they pretty much accepted relegation from day one. Why get a reward for failure?Parachute payments shouldn't even be a thing unless you've been in the league for at least 3 years. Not enjoying your third relegation in about 6 years.

If teams have to spend 3 years in the Prem to get parachute payments no side will ever manage it. They wouldn't be able to risk signing players good enough to keep them up. I don't like the idea that a side shouldn't get payments because they've chosen not to spend recklessly.

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:36 - Jul 14 with 2507 viewswaveneyblue

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:34 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

If teams have to spend 3 years in the Prem to get parachute payments no side will ever manage it. They wouldn't be able to risk signing players good enough to keep them up. I don't like the idea that a side shouldn't get payments because they've chosen not to spend recklessly.

So you are supporting the Norwich model. Get promoted, get relegated, get promoted repeat.

And for that getting paid 40 million to do just that.

It's what creates the farce of finances in the Championship
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:36 - Jul 14 with 2503 viewsPJH

Although they do seem to have gone into the season, on their own admission, thinking 'we have got no chance of staying up so we will not bother to try'.
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:37 - Jul 14 with 2485 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:36 - Jul 14 by waveneyblue

So you are supporting the Norwich model. Get promoted, get relegated, get promoted repeat.

It's down to individual clubs to manage their finances.

Login to get fewer ads

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:38 - Jul 14 with 2476 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:36 - Jul 14 by PJH

Although they do seem to have gone into the season, on their own admission, thinking 'we have got no chance of staying up so we will not bother to try'.

Which is fair enough. They weren't good enough and would have had to spend about £100m to be competitive, plus wages. Where would that have left them had they gone down?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:40 - Jul 14 with 2462 viewswaveneyblue

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:37 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

It's down to individual clubs to manage their finances.

We all have our own views I guess. But ignoring that its Norwich, being set up for at least 2 years by not even trying to stay in the Premiership seems pretty wrong to me
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:42 - Jul 14 with 2435 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:40 - Jul 14 by waveneyblue

We all have our own views I guess. But ignoring that its Norwich, being set up for at least 2 years by not even trying to stay in the Premiership seems pretty wrong to me

They would argue they have tried, they've just not been good enough. You seem to be equating trying with spending recklessly. Villa have spaffed a massive wedge of cash and will likely finish only a few points above and be in a much worse position. Is that to be celebrated?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:46 - Jul 14 with 2412 viewswaveneyblue

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:42 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

They would argue they have tried, they've just not been good enough. You seem to be equating trying with spending recklessly. Villa have spaffed a massive wedge of cash and will likely finish only a few points above and be in a much worse position. Is that to be celebrated?

Theres throwing money about and theres a bit of investment. Everybody knew that the defence was pretty weak even in the Championship. To do nothing about it and get 40million quid to have another crack next year is wrong.

This has to be a first, a debate with somebody defending Norwich on TWTD....
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:56 - Jul 14 with 2366 viewsArnieM

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:36 - Jul 14 by waveneyblue

You could most accuse Nodge of lacking any real ambition. They have never gone in to make an impression or compete in the PL . Many other promoted clubs have at least given it a go and not necessarily spent £m’s in that attempt. Nodge have now got the record of 5 relegations usually after just one season in the to flight . I’d say that’s a lack of mbitiln. They are simply a rich Championship Club. Nothing more.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:58 - Jul 14 with 2354 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:46 - Jul 14 by waveneyblue

Theres throwing money about and theres a bit of investment. Everybody knew that the defence was pretty weak even in the Championship. To do nothing about it and get 40million quid to have another crack next year is wrong.

This has to be a first, a debate with somebody defending Norwich on TWTD....

Why is it wrong? They got to the Prem on merit. Nothing I the rules says they have to spaff a load of cash to stay up. I'm not defending Norwich, I'm defending the principle. If this was any other side I doubt people would be bothered by what they'd done.

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:19 - Jul 14 with 2278 viewsjaykay

i think that's the point. norwich didn't risk signing any players.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:21 - Jul 14 with 2266 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:19 - Jul 14 by jaykay

I guess my response to that would be 'And?'.

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:23 - Jul 14 with 2259 viewsChrisd

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:19 - Jul 14 by jaykay

Perhaps they are looking to play the long game, take the money and go again next season? Instead of most promoted sides approach, spend big in the hope they survive and then they are in a financial mess when they get relegated. If Villa go down, they look in serious financial trouble.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:27 - Jul 14 with 2232 viewsgainsboroughblue

It would be very them to go up next time and it then becomes 'closed shop'.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:49 - Jul 14 with 2158 viewshype313

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:25 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

He's not encouraging reckless spending, that's the whole point of the article.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 21:03 - Jul 14 with 2120 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 20:49 - Jul 14 by hype313

He's not encouraging reckless spending, that's the whole point of the article.

It really isn't.

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 21:25 - Jul 14 with 2038 viewsBent_double

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:58 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

Why is it wrong? They got to the Prem on merit. Nothing I the rules says they have to spaff a load of cash to stay up. I'm not defending Norwich, I'm defending the principle. If this was any other side I doubt people would be bothered by what they'd done.

It's an unwritten rule, when you're promoted, "here's your £100m+, now go out a buy quality players to entertain us."

The PL, Sky, BT, clubs, agents and players all benefit from the billions that slosh around their feet every season, they're not interested in clubs getting promoted and not, "playing the game."

Like you, I don't blame Noj for doing it - if by some miracle we managed to get to the PL, I'm sure we would do the same, but we don't need to worry about that for a long time.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 09:22 - Jul 15 with 1687 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Norwich have no wealth behind them in the scheme of things so what choice do they have. If they'd spent £100m and got relegated and then not promoted again quickly they'd be bust.

Not sure it's fully appreciated the difficulty they would have been had they not got promoted last season.

A more imaginative bit of journalism would have pointed to this as being what's wrong with the system.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 9:22]
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 09:39 - Jul 15 with 1631 viewstractorboy1978

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 19:56 - Jul 14 by ArnieM

You could most accuse Nodge of lacking any real ambition. They have never gone in to make an impression or compete in the PL . Many other promoted clubs have at least given it a go and not necessarily spent £m’s in that attempt. Nodge have now got the record of 5 relegations usually after just one season in the to flight . I’d say that’s a lack of mbitiln. They are simply a rich Championship Club. Nothing more.

On the other hand, Sheffield United are sitting 7th whilst relying predominantly on the same players that got them promoted from the Championship. In fact there's been 5/6 regulars that were in their side that got promoted from L1. And that is (quite rightly) billed as a David vs Goliath story every day in the media.
Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 09:58 - Jul 15 with 1561 viewsHerbivore

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 09:39 - Jul 15 by tractorboy1978

On the other hand, Sheffield United are sitting 7th whilst relying predominantly on the same players that got them promoted from the Championship. In fact there's been 5/6 regulars that were in their side that got promoted from L1. And that is (quite rightly) billed as a David vs Goliath story every day in the media.

Are you aware of how much Sheffield United have spent this season? In case you aren't, it's in the region of £60m. No doubt they have done well, but they've invested pretty heavily.

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 10:20 - Jul 15 with 1546 viewstractorboy1978

Martin Samuels not impressed with Nodge on 09:58 - Jul 15 by Herbivore

Are you aware of how much Sheffield United have spent this season? In case you aren't, it's in the region of £60m. No doubt they have done well, but they've invested pretty heavily.

£54m of that was on Berge (signed in January) and McBurnie.

My point is they've not totally renovated their side. It's largely the same team and they've had huge success whilst Norwich simply haven't done the same.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024