Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nature never ceases to amaze 20:03 - Jul 14 with 1842 viewsPendejo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53400876

Flight recorders found one bird flew for five hours without flapping, covering about 172km (107 miles)

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Nature never ceases to amaze on 21:12 - Jul 14 with 1781 viewsOldsmoker

Some people see colours coming from musical instruments when people play them. Its called sound-color synesthesia.
Could it be that the Condors see thermals and air currents in the same way and that is how they are so adept at finding them.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nature never ceases to amaze on 21:19 - Jul 14 with 1758 viewsmonytowbray

Wait until you hear about planes, they don’t flap their wings at all. ;)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Nature never ceases to amaze on 21:41 - Jul 14 with 1719 viewsStokieBlue

This is great:

https://www.ocearch.org/?list

Just pick a shark, turtle or whatever and see where they have been over the last few years and where they are now.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Nature never ceases to amaze on 21:54 - Jul 14 with 1703 viewsNthQldITFC

Nature never ceases to amaze on 21:41 - Jul 14 by StokieBlue

This is great:

Just pick a shark, turtle or whatever and see where they have been over the last few years and where they are now.

SB

Probably in a bowl of fcuking soup in China.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Nature never ceases to amaze on 22:09 - Jul 14 with 1675 viewslightuser

Nature never ceases to amaze on 21:12 - Jul 14 by Oldsmoker

Some people see colours coming from musical instruments when people play them. Its called sound-color synesthesia.
Could it be that the Condors see thermals and air currents in the same way and that is how they are so adept at finding them.

I'm sure that many years ago I read that some blind people can echo locate like bats (making clicking noises with their tongue)?

Also, with regards to your post, some savants see numbers as colours too.
Nature never ceases to amaze on 22:40 - Jul 14 with 1637 viewsbournemouthblue

Before or after hallucinogens?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Nature never ceases to amaze on 22:42 - Jul 14 with 1636 viewsNthQldITFC

Nature never ceases to amaze on 22:40 - Jul 14 by bournemouthblue

Before or after hallucinogens?

I'm always after hallucinogens.

Nature never ceases to amaze on 22:45 - Jul 14 with 1634 viewsNthQldITFC

Nature never ceases to amaze on 21:41 - Jul 14 by StokieBlue

This is great:

SB

That looks great, thanks. Not sure if I'm brave enough to cross-reference my PADI logbook against those tracks but!

Login to get fewer ads

Nature never ceases to amaze on 00:09 - Jul 15 with 1588 viewsRyorry

Nature never ceases to amaze on 22:45 - Jul 14 by NthQldITFC

That looks great, thanks. Not sure if I'm brave enough to cross-reference my PADI logbook against those tracks but!

Wow, you just reminded me - had forgotten about my BSAC one for the past 28 years, think the ex must have had it when we split up as he looked after all the diving gear!
[Post edited 15 Jul 2020 2:52]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Nature never ceases to amaze on 08:26 - Jul 15 with 1484 viewsgordon

Bird eyes / sight is a really interesting topic.

Most birds can see UV light as well, and in lots of species where we can't easily tell the males / females apart on plumage (Blue Tits, Robins, Swallows etc.) there are patches of UV reflective feathers which are only present on males (normally) which mean the birds can easily tell if it's a male or female.

There is also a protein in birds eyes with electromagnetic properties which is likely the key to how birds navigate - we have no idea how it works (as far as I'm aware) but they will likely 'see' the Earth's magnetic field somehow.

One of my favourite ornithology experiments is where in the 1930s, a Cambridge Professor who was interested in how birds navigate went to Lundy (in Bristol Channel) and collected up some nesting adult Manx Shearwaters, put them in a car, and drove back to Cambridge, took them up to the top of a tower in the University. As seabirds, they would never have been to Cambridge before, couldn't possible know where they were, recognise landmarks etc.

He released them (with coloured rings on), and upon release they all immediately flew directly West-South-West, and about 6 hours later (his colleague on Lundy reported) they were all safely back at their nesting burrows.

It's extraordinary to try and conceive of how they could do that - until, many years later, the electromagnetic protein was discovered in bird's eyes.
Nature never ceases to amaze on 09:25 - Jul 15 with 1450 viewsRobTheMonk

We have loads of Red Kites near us. They just glide around off the thermals, sometimes look like they're hovering. I always find birds in general a really cool animal to watch - apart from the ones in kebab shops at 2am.
Nature never ceases to amaze on 09:30 - Jul 15 with 1442 viewsKeno

pah!

I got stuck behind a cyclist who was wasn't peddling the other day he covered about 500 yards in what seemed like an eternity

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Nature never ceases to amaze on 10:17 - Jul 15 with 1402 viewsWeWereZombies

Five hours without flapping - I think you have to go back to Paul Cooper to have seen that at Town...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Nature never ceases to amaze on 10:19 - Jul 15 with 1398 viewsKeno

Nature never ceases to amaze on 10:17 - Jul 15 by WeWereZombies

Five hours without flapping - I think you have to go back to Paul Cooper to have seen that at Town...

very good!!

Nature never ceases to amaze on 11:00 - Jul 15 with 1377 viewsWeWereZombies

Nature never ceases to amaze on 10:19 - Jul 15 by Keno

very good!!

This follow up would have been better if it had occurred to me forty minutes earlier, but

I guess that was my Condor moment...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Nature never ceases to amaze on 11:01 - Jul 15 with 1373 viewsKeno

Nature never ceases to amaze on 11:00 - Jul 15 by WeWereZombies

This follow up would have been better if it had occurred to me forty minutes earlier, but

I guess that was my Condor moment...

being that slow is more like a Jonathon Douglas moment

Nature never ceases to amaze on 11:28 - Jul 15 with 1362 viewsOldsmoker

Nature never ceases to amaze on 08:26 - Jul 15 by gordon

Most birds can see UV light as well, and in lots of species where we can't easily tell the males / females apart on plumage (Blue Tits, Robins, Swallows etc.) there are patches of UV reflective feathers which are only present on males (normally) which mean the birds can easily tell if it's a male or female.

There is also a protein in birds eyes with electromagnetic properties which is likely the key to how birds navigate - we have no idea how it works (as far as I'm aware) but they will likely 'see' the Earth's magnetic field somehow.

One of my favourite ornithology experiments is where in the 1930s, a Cambridge Professor who was interested in how birds navigate went to Lundy (in Bristol Channel) and collected up some nesting adult Manx Shearwaters, put them in a car, and drove back to Cambridge, took them up to the top of a tower in the University. As seabirds, they would never have been to Cambridge before, couldn't possible know where they were, recognise landmarks etc.

He released them (with coloured rings on), and upon release they all immediately flew directly West-South-West, and about 6 hours later (his colleague on Lundy reported) they were all safely back at their nesting burrows.

It's extraordinary to try and conceive of how they could do that - until, many years later, the electromagnetic protein was discovered in bird's eyes.

Good post.
Nature never ceases to amaze.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nature never ceases to amaze on 09:03 - Jul 16 with 1278 viewseastangliaisblue

Nature never ceases to amaze on 08:26 - Jul 15 by gordon

Turtles also use the Earth's magnetic field, to find their way to the beach they were hatched on. Something to do with coastlines having their own magnetic signature, that the Turtles somehow remember. They also use the invisible lines of the magnetic field to navigate at sea. Fascinating stuff.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 9:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024