Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona virus Challenge Studies 16:46 - Jul 16 with 898 views26_Paz

Really interested to hear people’s views on this. Article below. Basic question; Now we have some degree of confidence in a vaccine should we give it to healthy young people and then deliberately expose them to corona virus to speed up vaccine testing?
I say yes, and as a 33 year old with no underlying health conditions I would have no problem volunteering. What do people think?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53426367

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:49 - Jul 16 with 867 viewsSpruceMoose

I'm happy for you to volunteer too.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:51 - Jul 16 with 856 viewsJ2BLUE

As long as it was purely voluntary then yes.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:52 - Jul 16 with 855 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:49 - Jul 16 by SpruceMoose

I'm happy for you to volunteer too.

Haha, thought you would! Any serious view either way? You think we should do this or would you say it’s immoral?

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:54 - Jul 16 with 843 viewsDanTheMan

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:51 - Jul 16 by J2BLUE

As long as it was purely voluntary then yes.

Basically this. The participants should be made absolutely clear what the risks are.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:55 - Jul 16 with 840 viewsSpruceMoose

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:52 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

Haha, thought you would! Any serious view either way? You think we should do this or would you say it’s immoral?

What do the scientists and ethicists say? I'm happy to factor their opinions into my own.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:56 - Jul 16 with 835 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:55 - Jul 16 by SpruceMoose

What do the scientists and ethicists say? I'm happy to factor their opinions into my own.

Some scientists have been asking to do it. Assume they’ll be some as well who don’t want to ...

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:58 - Jul 16 with 821 viewsSpruceMoose

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:56 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

Some scientists have been asking to do it. Assume they’ll be some as well who don’t want to ...

So far my view on it is in line with Dan's above.

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:00 - Jul 16 with 812 viewsJ2BLUE

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 16:56 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

I would assume it would be quite expensive running a battery of tests on people before they could take part. Not to mention any form of payment for taking part and added safeguards to make sure no one was doing it out of desperation due to finances etc.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:04 - Jul 16 with 795 viewsHerbivore

You're only 33?

I echo Spruce's comments, I am happy for you to participate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:04 - Jul 16 with 795 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:00 - Jul 16 by J2BLUE

I would assume it would be quite expensive running a battery of tests on people before they could take part. Not to mention any form of payment for taking part and added safeguards to make sure no one was doing it out of desperation due to finances etc.

If it brings a vaccine forward even by a month the economic benefits would pay for that many times over

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:05 - Jul 16 with 784 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:04 - Jul 16 by Herbivore

You're only 33?

I echo Spruce's comments, I am happy for you to participate.

Yeah mate. The Paz man is in his prime

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:07 - Jul 16 with 776 viewsSpruceMoose

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:05 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

I assume you mean physically and not mentally?

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:07 - Jul 16 with 776 viewsJ2BLUE

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:04 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

If it brings a vaccine forward even by a month the economic benefits would pay for that many times over

There's a lot of talk about T-cells etc at the moment. Have we established whether people have lasting antibodies yet? Haven't we had many people test positive for the virus, recover and then return negative antibody tests?

Of course, I'd happily see it happen if there was a chance of a genuine breakthrough.

Truly impaired.

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:10 - Jul 16 with 773 viewsHerbivore

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:05 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

Bit depressed by that to be honest. Usually the younger generation tend to be more tolerant and opposed to things like racism and homophobia rather than defending them as you do. I had you down as about 60 and never having left Suffolk.

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:19 - Jul 16 with 745 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:07 - Jul 16 by J2BLUE

There's a lot of talk about T-cells etc at the moment. Have we established whether people have lasting antibodies yet? Haven't we had many people test positive for the virus, recover and then return negative antibody tests?

Of course, I'd happily see it happen if there was a chance of a genuine breakthrough.

I don’t know about that stuff but the scientist who have signed the letter have some impressive records so guessing they’ve factored that in and are still pretty confident it works

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:21 - Jul 16 with 738 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:10 - Jul 16 by Herbivore

Bit depressed by that to be honest. Usually the younger generation tend to be more tolerant and opposed to things like racism and homophobia rather than defending them as you do. I had you down as about 60 and never having left Suffolk.

I haven’t lived in Suffolk for 15 years. I don’t want this thread to go off on a tangent so won’t take the bait too much but I don’t defend racism and homophobia

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:23 - Jul 16 with 730 viewsStokieBlue

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:19 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

I don’t know about that stuff but the scientist who have signed the letter have some impressive records so guessing they’ve factored that in and are still pretty confident it works

I think it really depends on your definition of "works".

I have no doubt they have developed a vaccine which can spark a huge immune response against the virus. The questions at the moment are whether that immune response is remembered by the body for any length of time (some initial studies are saying it's gone after 3 months).

We need to test but I don't think that alters the timescales of the second part of the above even if testing is voluntarily accelerated.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:29 - Jul 16 with 723 viewsHerbivore

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:21 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

I haven’t lived in Suffolk for 15 years. I don’t want this thread to go off on a tangent so won’t take the bait too much but I don’t defend racism and homophobia

I don't want it to go off on a tangent either so will just leave this here as a refutation of your claim that you do not defend racism and homophobia:
Why is PMQs a thing? by SpruceMoose 24 Jun 2020 21:45
So let's summarise.

You don't think the comments about watermelon smiles, bumboys and women looking like letterboxes were offensive.

You're not bothered by the plans to assault a journalist because you don't know much about it (and haven't indicated that you will look into it).

You happy to say that the price you're willing (other people to pay) for all this is getting Brexit.

You don't think supporting someone who laughs about watermelon smiles, bum boys, letterbox women and makes plans to assault journalists reflects badly on you.

I think we had best agree to disagree here, as I think they are actually hugely offensive comments and actions, made even worse by the fact that the man who said them is supposed to represent and fight for every British citizen, regardless of whether they voted (or would ever vote) for the Conservative Party or not. If you don't see that then, sadly, I think that does reflect poorly on you.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:36 - Jul 16 with 712 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:23 - Jul 16 by StokieBlue

I think it really depends on your definition of "works".

I have no doubt they have developed a vaccine which can spark a huge immune response against the virus. The questions at the moment are whether that immune response is remembered by the body for any length of time (some initial studies are saying it's gone after 3 months).

We need to test but I don't think that alters the timescales of the second part of the above even if testing is voluntarily accelerated.

SB

Good point, I didn’t think of that. I assumed it would be vaccine, corona injection, no illness in two weeks and job’s a good ‘un!
Must just be getting desperate!

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 18:14 - Jul 16 with 689 viewsSpruceMoose

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 17:21 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

You just vote for those who embody those concepts.

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 18:25 - Jul 16 with 675 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 18:14 - Jul 16 by SpruceMoose

You just vote for those who embody those concepts.

No, I never voted for Jeremy Corbyn ;)

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 18:25 - Jul 16 with 672 viewsSpruceMoose

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 18:25 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

No, I never voted for Jeremy Corbyn ;)

You think it's a laughing matter?

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 19:18 - Jul 16 with 631 views26_Paz

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 18:25 - Jul 16 by SpruceMoose

You think it's a laughing matter?

A light hearted jape, meant in the same way your comment about me doing the corona trial was. No dramas here.

The Paz Man

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 19:37 - Jul 16 with 617 viewsSpruceMoose

Corona virus Challenge Studies on 19:18 - Jul 16 by 26_Paz

A light hearted jape, meant in the same way your comment about me doing the corona trial was. No dramas here.

Sorry, I don't find racists funny.

And I certainly don't vote for them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024