Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) 12:39 - Jul 18 with 2234 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/18/english-councils-call-for-smokin

Oh no 1: we're effectively banishing smokers from pubs now?
Oh no 2: I'm on the Govt's side (OH MY!)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 12:42 - Jul 18 with 1937 viewstrueblue1970

Makes sense in current climate
Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 12:44 - Jul 18 with 1923 viewsgiant_stow

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 12:42 - Jul 18 by trueblue1970

Makes sense in current climate

Can we not leave it up to individual pubs to organise?

For instance, there's a pub near me that bans kids (inside or out). I wouldn't dream of going there (even if I didn't have the nipper), but to others, I'm sure its a pubby paradise.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:23 - Jul 18 with 1883 viewsDebsyAngel

They can sod off. I make sure I never have one near someone eating. Take away all our freedoms (not that I am going to pubs at the moment).
Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:27 - Jul 18 with 1874 viewssparks

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:23 - Jul 18 by DebsyAngel

They can sod off. I make sure I never have one near someone eating. Take away all our freedoms (not that I am going to pubs at the moment).

Lots of people do have one near people eating and near kids. They dont care and have the "its my right" attitude, whilst utterly failing to acknowledge that its others' right not to be imposed upon...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:31 - Jul 18 with 1855 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm fully supportive of the ban inside pubs etc but outside seems a bit much.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:33 - Jul 18 with 1848 viewsDebsyAngel

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:27 - Jul 18 by sparks

Lots of people do have one near people eating and near kids. They dont care and have the "its my right" attitude, whilst utterly failing to acknowledge that its others' right not to be imposed upon...

Yes, sadly there are a lot of people like that, but I try to be considerate to others and sit well away.
Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:38 - Jul 18 with 1832 viewssparks

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:31 - Jul 18 by J2BLUE

In may pubs with smaller gardens, it effectively bans non smokers and kids from the outdoor area.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 14:32 - Jul 18 with 1746 viewsbluebud

Ban children from pubs and their entitled lazy boozy parents.....there's just no need for kids to be in pubs and certainly not dictating how people behave around them.

Family Diners
Leisure centres
Social Clubs
Play centres
The outdoors.

...these are all places that will serve you booze or you can get a carry out if you want to go outdoors.
Login to get fewer ads

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 14:37 - Jul 18 with 1737 viewsHerbivore

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 12:44 - Jul 18 by giant_stow

Can we not leave it up to individual pubs to organise?

For instance, there's a pub near me that bans kids (inside or out). I wouldn't dream of going there (even if I didn't have the nipper), but to others, I'm sure its a pubby paradise.

The pub is no place for children. Anyone who can't stand a round shouldn't be there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 14:45 - Jul 18 with 1729 viewssparks

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 14:32 - Jul 18 by bluebud

Ban children from pubs and their entitled lazy boozy parents.....there's just no need for kids to be in pubs and certainly not dictating how people behave around them.

Family Diners
Leisure centres
Social Clubs
Play centres
The outdoors.

...these are all places that will serve you booze or you can get a carry out if you want to go outdoors.

Good grief.

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 15:13 - Jul 18 with 1693 viewsPinewoodblue

Stayed overnight in Wakefield, not long after the smoking ban was introduced. Had a few pints in pub near to Hotel.

They had a smoke in after closing time, landlord. Asked us if we minded no objections raised by me.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 15:21 - Jul 18 with 1668 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 13:38 - Jul 18 by sparks

In may pubs with smaller gardens, it effectively bans non smokers and kids from the outdoor area.

"Effectively bans" = choice.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 15:24 - Jul 18 with 1668 viewsgiant_stow

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 14:37 - Jul 18 by Herbivore

The pub is no place for children. Anyone who can't stand a round shouldn't be there.

Well if you're ever in Walthamstow, look up the Nags Head in the village - perfect for you, but for my taste, its run by a gaggle of mean old child-catchers! Shame as it has a lovely beer garden.

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 15:26 - Jul 18 with 1666 viewsgiant_stow

Family Diners
Leisure centres
Social Clubs
Play centres
The outdoors.

Its the same as footy - you need to catch the youngsters early and teach them about the pub / footy. Banning them cuts off the future.

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 15:47 - Jul 18 with 1636 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No it doesn’t, it means they have a choice of sitting inside, sitting outside but accepting other people are free to smoke nearby, or going to another pub

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 15:50 - Jul 18 with 1631 viewsSpruceMoose

Have to say, I think something precious was lost when pubs stopped being purely adult spaces and started being more family oriented.

Oh well. At least now your clothes don't stink the next day following a night in the pub I suppose.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 15:51]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 15:52 - Jul 18 with 1618 viewsSpruceMoose

Can't you just stick those ear plugs you carry around up your nostrils?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 16:05 - Jul 18 with 1590 viewsSwansea_Blue

If people expect the Government to keep them safe during a virus pandemic, why shouldn’t they expect them to act on smoking? It kills more than Covid-19 and costs the NHS a fortune.

I wouldn’t have expect this Govt to go down this route. I’d assumed they would buckle to the tobacco lobby (and I suppose they still might).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 16:28 - Jul 18 with 1562 viewsbluebud

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 14:45 - Jul 18 by sparks

Good grief.

You can't handle that or it's a Charlie Brown skit?
Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 16:36 - Jul 18 with 1533 viewsStokieBlue

Is it though?

I find it quite unpleasant sitting outside in many pubs, it's almost always just a cloud of smoke waiting to be passively inhaled or make your clothes smell.

Because smoking isn't allowed inside the outside of the pub can sometimes become a no-go zone for people who don't want to be engulfed.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 16:45 - Jul 18 with 1513 viewsbritbiker

I've just come out of a heart hospital and was speaking to a 35 year old who had just had a stent fitted. The surgeon had told him that they struggled to break the fatty cigarette induced build up in his arteries.
He then told me he had a young kid and that he was going to carry on smoking as he had heard of people that had lived to old age and smoked therefore it was a myth that it was causing his ptoblems.
I couldn't even be bothered to talk to him thereafter as he clearly is stupid and doesnt give a damn about how his kid will cope when he inevitably has a second heart attack.

Sometimes governments have to legislate for the sake of the stupid.
Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 18:55 - Jul 18 with 1413 viewsOldsmoker

It's smokism that's what it is.
Smokers contribute more to the NHS than you non-tokers.
That's tobacco duty, VAT and NHS slice.
Yet we're hounded as if we're pariahs
I'd blow smoke up all your ar*es given the chance.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 19:00 - Jul 18 with 1400 viewsMattinLondon

Family Diners
Leisure centres
Social Clubs
Play centres
The outdoors.

The old fashioned boozer is on its way out. Pubs need families or most of them will go out of business.
Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 19:57 - Jul 18 with 1359 viewssparks

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 18:55 - Jul 18 by Oldsmoker

And you still dont understand that your right to do as you wish, ends at the point you are imposing on others.

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 19:57 - Jul 18 with 1355 viewsRyorry

Possible smoking ban outdoors (Oh no x 2) on 18:55 - Jul 18 by Oldsmoker

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024