Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) 13:01 - Jul 18 with 706 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/tom-hunt-column-black-lives-matter-1-6750788

Perhaps they need to start understanding how all these things tie together rather than screaming HIJACKED BY MARXISTS.

Considering a local Tory MP just quit politics after throwing his toys out the pram for racist FB posts, he should STFU really.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 13:09]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:13 - Jul 18 with 668 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunately people like Hunt are emboldened by an electorate that consistently ignores and/or demonises antiracists.

Genuine antiracists know that these problems are predominantly structural. But those necessary changes would require some sacrifice.

Instead we get posturing, performative antiracism from the likes of Maajid Nawaz only when it is aligned with the wider interests of the establishment. He has been surprisingly silent about the inaction of the current government when the issue of the Uighurs has been raised in parliament over the past couple of years. But now that it ties in with the wider Cold War rhetoric he's pushed himself right to the fore.

It would be nice to see people take racism, injustice and suffering seriously from the start. Rather than paying lip service the majority of the time and then taking the occasional Principled Stand that's absolutely dripping with self-interest.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:29 - Jul 18 with 598 viewstractordownsouth

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:13 - Jul 18 by Darth_Koont

Unfortunately people like Hunt are emboldened by an electorate that consistently ignores and/or demonises antiracists.

Genuine antiracists know that these problems are predominantly structural. But those necessary changes would require some sacrifice.

Instead we get posturing, performative antiracism from the likes of Maajid Nawaz only when it is aligned with the wider interests of the establishment. He has been surprisingly silent about the inaction of the current government when the issue of the Uighurs has been raised in parliament over the past couple of years. But now that it ties in with the wider Cold War rhetoric he's pushed himself right to the fore.

It would be nice to see people take racism, injustice and suffering seriously from the start. Rather than paying lip service the majority of the time and then taking the occasional Principled Stand that's absolutely dripping with self-interest.

Why do you have such a dislike for Maajid Nawaz? Doesn't bother me as I don't have strong opinions on him either way, but he seems to be someone you particularly dislike and I'm never too sure why.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:31 - Jul 18 with 592 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:29 - Jul 18 by tractordownsouth

Why do you have such a dislike for Maajid Nawaz? Doesn't bother me as I don't have strong opinions on him either way, but he seems to be someone you particularly dislike and I'm never too sure why.

Probably because he is consistent on calling out racism from all sides. DK only likes it when it’s the other side being called out.

I also disproved DK’s allegation in his second para last week yet he continues to push it.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 13:34]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:34 - Jul 18 with 567 viewstractordownsouth

Hunt's an absolute weapon and definitely one of the worst new MPs, even among a terrible 2019 Tory intake. However, besides his comment on white privilege, I don't see a massive amount wrong with that article - it's reasonable to support the slogan without agreeing with the organisation's other aims.

There are plenty of sticks to beat him with - accusing the unions of sabotaging childrens' education, dismissing the concerns of a group of nurses at a lack of PPE because they're Labour members, supporting an openly racist PM - but I don't think questioning the other policies of the organisation is one of them.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 13:35]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:36 - Jul 18 with 552 viewsDarth_Koont

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:29 - Jul 18 by tractordownsouth

He's an opportunist grifter who's made a well-paid career out of sheltering the right-leaning establishment from taking responsibility and backs them up by punching left.

And he's a ridiculous narcissist to boot.

I have a similar disdain for George Galloway and Tommy Robinson who are similarly self-promoting polemicists who cash in on the shallow support they can get from their particular part of the spectrum.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 13:39]

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:46 - Jul 18 with 505 viewsDarth_Koont

Ipswich Tory MP failing to understand institutional racism (again) on 13:31 - Jul 18 by GlasgowBlue

Probably because he is consistent on calling out racism from all sides. DK only likes it when it’s the other side being called out.

I also disproved DK’s allegation in his second para last week yet he continues to push it.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 13:34]

Apart from Tory islamophobia it seems. Apart from calling out the current government's actual lack of response to the oppression of the Uighurs when it's been raised in parliament.

Nawaz is your and the establishment's fig leaf. With Trevor Phillips attracting too much heat, I'll bet you he was next on the government's list as a possible head of the race commission.

That's how useful I think he's made himself.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024