Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazon turns 25 years old 13:18 - Jul 18 with 3234 viewsmonytowbray

Let’s hope it doesn’t make it to 30.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 14:33 - Jul 18 with 2174 viewsMattinLondon

Why?
Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:47 - Jul 18 with 2070 viewsJ2BLUE

The Amazon genie is never going back in the bottle.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:50 - Jul 18 with 2057 viewsDanTheMan

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:47 - Jul 18 by J2BLUE

The Amazon genie is never going back in the bottle.

Short of it being forcefully split up, they aren't going anywhere.

Even if they were to completely shut their storefronts, they make so much money from AWS. The operating profit they make off of it is ridiculous.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:53 - Jul 18 with 2052 viewsbluelagos

Lots of issues with the company which I am sure we share. But as a rule, internet shopping, one van goes out and makes 30 odd drops, sometimes 100 yards apart, it does feel a lot better than 30 people getting in their cars and driving to the nearest town to find whatever they want.

So am guessing the environmental impact of internet shopping might be preferable to shop shopping? Maybe someone informed can share any thoughts...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:54 - Jul 18 with 2046 viewsSwansea_Blue

Amazon turns 25 years old on 14:33 - Jul 18 by MattinLondon

Why?

I assume it’s a comment on their lack of ethics. They treat workers like sh*t and use every loophole in the book to avoid paying tax in the countries whose markets they distort.

Not that people care. They want cheaper stuff, whatever the cost (see also China).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 17:05 - Jul 18 with 2017 viewsSpruceMoose

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:54 - Jul 18 by Swansea_Blue

I assume it’s a comment on their lack of ethics. They treat workers like sh*t and use every loophole in the book to avoid paying tax in the countries whose markets they distort.

Not that people care. They want cheaper stuff, whatever the cost (see also China).

Some people just want cheaper stuff, but for many people conditions are such that they can't afford to pay more for the things they need. It's all part of the same cycle though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Amazon turns 25 years old on 17:19 - Jul 18 with 2010 viewssparks

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:53 - Jul 18 by bluelagos

Lots of issues with the company which I am sure we share. But as a rule, internet shopping, one van goes out and makes 30 odd drops, sometimes 100 yards apart, it does feel a lot better than 30 people getting in their cars and driving to the nearest town to find whatever they want.

So am guessing the environmental impact of internet shopping might be preferable to shop shopping? Maybe someone informed can share any thoughts...

I think you are right. I have huge qualms over them- but they have been a godsend over lockdown as well... From a customer perspective they are very very good. I dont think i have ever had a wrong or failed delivery.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 18:31 - Jul 18 with 1903 viewsBryanPlug

Amazon turns 25 years old on 17:19 - Jul 18 by sparks

I think you are right. I have huge qualms over them- but they have been a godsend over lockdown as well... From a customer perspective they are very very good. I dont think i have ever had a wrong or failed delivery.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

Amazon turns 25 years old on 18:52 - Jul 18 with 1869 viewsbluelagos

Amazon turns 25 years old on 18:31 - Jul 18 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I still can't get over how Tesco/Asda send their goods onto the shelves and then pay their own staff to pick them off the shelves for home deliveries.

24 years they have been doing home deliveries...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 18:55 - Jul 18 with 1864 viewsShawsey

Internet shopping is here for a long time to come. Agree with the tax issues regarding them, but they are only going to get bigger.
Amazon turns 25 years old on 19:31 - Jul 18 with 1826 viewsstonojnr

Amazon turns 25 years old on 18:55 - Jul 18 by Shawsey

Internet shopping is here for a long time to come. Agree with the tax issues regarding them, but they are only going to get bigger.

The tax issues arent there problem though, they comply fully with what they are obliged to pay, if people don't
feel that's enough then they should lobby MPs to change it.

But they wont because it's easier to just moan about it on the internet :)
Amazon turns 25 years old on 22:10 - Jul 18 with 1734 viewsbournemouthblue

Amazon turns 25 years old on 19:31 - Jul 18 by stonojnr

The tax issues arent there problem though, they comply fully with what they are obliged to pay, if people don't
feel that's enough then they should lobby MPs to change it.

But they wont because it's easier to just moan about it on the internet :)

I suspect the general public would support Amazon paying more tax

The problem is it needs unilateral support. I can't see all the tax havens who benefit from whatever loophole they can offer these bigger companies will playing sadly.

There's no question it gives them a huge advantage to undercut small and medium sized companies, operating from the country they trade in.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 22:10]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Amazon turns 25 years old on 00:59 - Jul 19 with 1658 viewsMelford

I hardly buy anything direct through them but I have bought literally hundreds of books through the likes of Better World Books and Real World Books though Amazon. Most of them 1p and a couple of quid delivery. Finish a book, read the bibliography at the back. Go on Amazon and look up the books referenced, most of the time you can get them literally for pennies second hand.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 08:57 - Jul 19 with 1497 viewssolomon

The high street is dead, nothing can save it, times change and you have to move with the times. We love our cheap goods don’t we? Sure we tut and shake our heads we are made aware of the human and environmental costs of these goods and promise ourselves we will no longer buy such things but, in the end we still do it, it’s just so easy.

With reduced incomes and other effects of the pandemic I can only see amazon getting stronger, one day the entire planet will be dominated by just a few large corporations.
Amazon turns 25 years old on 10:32 - Jul 19 with 1404 viewsBluefish

Amazon turns 25 years old on 14:33 - Jul 18 by MattinLondon

Why?

stoners against the machine man

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:08 - Jul 19 with 1386 viewsCoastalblue

Due to covid/lockdown etc and not being able to get any government support I needed work and an income extremely quickly.

I've been working for Amazon for about 2 months, I have a 9 month contract which is all they'll do, at that point I can't work for them again for another three months should I decide I want to.

I've spent thousands with Amazon over the years, more than I really want to think about going back to 2002.

I've not spent a penny with them in the last month, and hopefully never will again.

Despicable company where bottom line is the only thing that really matters (and yes I know they convince everybody that the customer actually holds that position)

The hardest thing for me will be losing Prime streaming services when it expires, but fortunately there's plenty of alternatives now.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:25 - Jul 19 with 1363 viewslongtimefan

Interesting coincidence that this thread should turn up on the very day I first noticed that the “My Account” page on Amazon now has a “Member since 2001” entry.
Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:47 - Jul 19 with 1327 viewsmonytowbray

Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:08 - Jul 19 by Coastalblue

Due to covid/lockdown etc and not being able to get any government support I needed work and an income extremely quickly.

I've been working for Amazon for about 2 months, I have a 9 month contract which is all they'll do, at that point I can't work for them again for another three months should I decide I want to.

I've spent thousands with Amazon over the years, more than I really want to think about going back to 2002.

I've not spent a penny with them in the last month, and hopefully never will again.

Despicable company where bottom line is the only thing that really matters (and yes I know they convince everybody that the customer actually holds that position)

The hardest thing for me will be losing Prime streaming services when it expires, but fortunately there's plenty of alternatives now.

I tend to Google what I need and not click the Amazon link these days. You can find next day delivery or fast delivery times away from the Bezosphere.

Amazon rip off retailers too, you’re doing businesses a favour going direct, you can even use Amazon, find the seller name, Google their own site and buy direct.

The tax dodging and treatment of staff as many has highlighted is the real killer for me. Bezos is not successful through grit but by screwing the entire world population over.

But cheap and fast delivery I guess 🤷‍♂️

TWTD never forgets…

Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:57 - Jul 19 with 1316 viewsBloomBlue

Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:47 - Jul 19 by monytowbray

I tend to Google what I need and not click the Amazon link these days. You can find next day delivery or fast delivery times away from the Bezosphere.

Amazon rip off retailers too, you’re doing businesses a favour going direct, you can even use Amazon, find the seller name, Google their own site and buy direct.

The tax dodging and treatment of staff as many has highlighted is the real killer for me. Bezos is not successful through grit but by screwing the entire world population over.

You don't think Google rip off their staff, dodge paying taxes, direct you to companies who pay more money to Google? I'm glad you're helping to keep Google in proof
Amazon turns 25 years old on 12:03 - Jul 19 with 1298 viewsSpruceMoose

Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:57 - Jul 19 by BloomBlue

You don't think Google rip off their staff, dodge paying taxes, direct you to companies who pay more money to Google? I'm glad you're helping to keep Google in proof

I know it's hard for you, but don't be a dïck.

"Oh so you're doing X but you're not doing A,T, Y and Z?! Hah! Your attempts to do X make you a hypocrite' is such a simplistic and smooth brained argument.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:53 - Jul 19 with 1180 viewsRyorry

Not my experience at all - I deliberately try & shop ABA - anywhere but Amazon - and am even willing to pay a little bit more to avoid them - but experiences with more than 50% of other companies are so bad in terms of delayed, incomplete, missing deliveries, inevitably followed by hours/days (months in one case) of hassle trying to locate the missing stuff and/or get refunds, that I often end up going back to the dreaded jungolic ones just for their sheer reliability.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Amazon turns 25 years old on 17:17 - Jul 19 with 1135 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't argue with this but it's such an easy trap to fall into. Pretty much anything you want, cheaper, quicker (including deliveries on a Sunday) and all the benefits of prime.

You know if you order something from Amazon with prime it will be here the next day. Other companies just can't seem to do the same. Half of the time I select next day delivery and pay almost as much as a prime subscription for the privilege it doesn't get dispatched for a couple of days. Holland and Barrett were the latest. Happy to take my money for nominated day delivery but not happy to keep their end of the bargain.

Recently I ordered two batteries from amazon for a couple of quid and they arrived free delivery via prime the next day. It's so hard to look past them.

Oh and yes, I realise I sound like a gushing teenager.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Amazon turns 25 years old on 17:18 - Jul 19 with 1135 viewsmonytowbray

Amazon turns 25 years old on 11:57 - Jul 19 by BloomBlue

If I don’t click the ads in Google and use ad block they only profit off my data.

Being in my industry I’ve written a few blog posts about ethics and Google, can DM you them if you want?

TWTD never forgets…

Amazon turns 25 years old on 17:20 - Jul 19 with 1126 viewsmonytowbray

Amazon turns 25 years old on 17:17 - Jul 19 by J2BLUE

Can't argue with this but it's such an easy trap to fall into. Pretty much anything you want, cheaper, quicker (including deliveries on a Sunday) and all the benefits of prime.

You know if you order something from Amazon with prime it will be here the next day. Other companies just can't seem to do the same. Half of the time I select next day delivery and pay almost as much as a prime subscription for the privilege it doesn't get dispatched for a couple of days. Holland and Barrett were the latest. Happy to take my money for nominated day delivery but not happy to keep their end of the bargain.

Recently I ordered two batteries from amazon for a couple of quid and they arrived free delivery via prime the next day. It's so hard to look past them.

Oh and yes, I realise I sound like a gushing teenager.

Convenience Will Kill Us All, as the Dead Kennedys once said.

It’s harder and harder to do much ethically these days. Anyone who’s watched The Good Place, there’s a proper truth moment when they discover why everybody has been going to hell.

TWTD never forgets…

Amazon turns 25 years old on 19:42 - Jul 19 with 1047 viewsBent_double

Amazon turns 25 years old on 16:53 - Jul 19 by Ryorry

Not my experience at all - I deliberately try & shop ABA - anywhere but Amazon - and am even willing to pay a little bit more to avoid them - but experiences with more than 50% of other companies are so bad in terms of delayed, incomplete, missing deliveries, inevitably followed by hours/days (months in one case) of hassle trying to locate the missing stuff and/or get refunds, that I often end up going back to the dreaded jungolic ones just for their sheer reliability.

I'm the same, I haven't ordered from Amazon for several years now, although I do buy a lot of stuff from ebay, which some might consider the same thing I guess.

Ebay is usually great for me, rarely is there a problem with what I've ordered, and delivery of 3-5 working days suits me fine, I don't get the need to order something and have it the same or next day.

The one thing I'm trying to do more now is not order from any ebay companies that are clearly just importing from China, but with most things made there, that's not easy.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024