Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amateur retirement 22:43 - Jul 21 with 4705 viewsRobTheMonk

I think I've just retired from 11 a side at the grand old age of 33. I've been doing a bit of pre season with the local team and the body no longer seems to do what the brain says and I can barely get out of a trot because of what I suspect is tendinitis in my knee.

Two things kept playing over in my head earlier today in training:

- I don't want to be the one who holds back others.
- This one is going to sound a little weird. But I got a months free WWE Network subscription to see the Undertaker documentary. It was incredibly sad to see this man keep coming back for one last match, but not being able to perform at the level he used to. I don't want to be that guy. I'm happy going out on my own terms. The training has been a great catalyst for me to try to get fitter, but I can't play like I used to. I used to play in goal for years but shoulder injuries screwed that one up.

I think I've got a some years left in 5 a side but I think it helps that my 5 a side team are all of a similar age and we mainly do it for a bit of fitness and a laugh which is all I really want these days.

Oddly liberating. I'm sure others have experienced similar.
Amateur retirement on 22:45 - Jul 21 with 3789 viewsCoco

No worries Cole, I'm sure Lambo will have you involved in the coaching set-up.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Amateur retirement on 22:48 - Jul 21 with 3775 viewsBluefish

I had a few retirements and comebacks. It was brutal at times to know in mind what I wanted to do but my legs not keeping up. You do adapt your game and the speed comes back with fitness.

I was a much better player as a crock in my 30s than I was when super fit and getting paid as a teenager. If only I could have combined the 2.

I joined a 5 aside league just to get the element of competition back because kick about dont really replace it. I still pine for 11 a side, due to my knees i also pine to play on the litch in competitive 5 a side again

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Amateur retirement on 22:55 - Jul 21 with 3744 viewsMattinLondon

Amateur retirement on 22:48 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

I had a few retirements and comebacks. It was brutal at times to know in mind what I wanted to do but my legs not keeping up. You do adapt your game and the speed comes back with fitness.

I was a much better player as a crock in my 30s than I was when super fit and getting paid as a teenager. If only I could have combined the 2.

I joined a 5 aside league just to get the element of competition back because kick about dont really replace it. I still pine for 11 a side, due to my knees i also pine to play on the litch in competitive 5 a side again

What standard of football did you play at?
Amateur retirement on 23:00 - Jul 21 with 3720 viewsBluefish

Amateur retirement on 22:55 - Jul 21 by MattinLondon

What standard of football did you play at?

Played at jewson level as a teenager but left to go to my local side at cambs junior division 2 level. Went up to kershaw senior b with them and then left to go to kershaw prem. I wasted my best years in the lower leagues but I wouldn't swap it. Obviously all of it is along way off a particularly decent level

Amateur retirement on 23:01 - Jul 21 with 3720 viewsRobTheMonk

The lads were on about going to one of those party islands when it's all back up and running. Give me camping in the Peak District any day of the week!

I like the five a side format. Short game midweek, down the pub after to watch the game and then off home to watch Agents of Shield with Madge.

No training, no Saturday commitments, body can just about handle the shorter games.

Madge will be happy though!
Amateur retirement on 23:07 - Jul 21 with 3691 viewsMattinLondon

Amateur retirement on 23:00 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

Played at jewson level as a teenager but left to go to my local side at cambs junior division 2 level. Went up to kershaw senior b with them and then left to go to kershaw prem. I wasted my best years in the lower leagues but I wouldn't swap it. Obviously all of it is along way off a particularly decent level

Impressive.
I only played Sunday League but fairly often played against players who also played at an higher standard. I was quite surprised that the actual playing ability wasn’t as high as what I had thought it would be. Their Fitness and speed of thought were much much higher though.
Amateur retirement on 23:14 - Jul 21 with 3677 viewsBluefish

Amateur retirement on 23:07 - Jul 21 by MattinLondon

Impressive.
I only played Sunday League but fairly often played against players who also played at an higher standard. I was quite surprised that the actual playing ability wasn’t as high as what I had thought it would be. Their Fitness and speed of thought were much much higher though.

I think that is more apparent now, they are all complete athletes now. In my teen years they had bellies

One of the best players I've ever been on a pitch with barely seemed to move but was incredible. Never seen anyone control a ball like it.

When I was at my best through various ages the game happened in slow motion for me. When I wasn't at my best it didn't

I absolutely adored the game and took years to get over it. I wish I was still playing

Amateur retirement on 23:19 - Jul 21 with 3668 viewsMattinLondon

Amateur retirement on 23:14 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

I think that is more apparent now, they are all complete athletes now. In my teen years they had bellies

One of the best players I've ever been on a pitch with barely seemed to move but was incredible. Never seen anyone control a ball like it.

When I was at my best through various ages the game happened in slow motion for me. When I wasn't at my best it didn't

I absolutely adored the game and took years to get over it. I wish I was still playing

Sounds like it’s hard to stop playing when you’ve been good at it.
Login to get fewer ads

Amateur retirement on 23:25 - Jul 21 with 3656 viewsBluefish

Amateur retirement on 23:19 - Jul 21 by MattinLondon

Sounds like it’s hard to stop playing when you’ve been good at it.

not necessarily that I played with some amazing players that gave up easily. I was fully invested in the team that I stepped down to play for, it was my home village and a very small village. We just had an incredible side and were very close.

I've read lots of footballers books and I can relate to how many went into depression when they stopped the game. It is an enormous void. All week would be the countdown to the weekend for me but I didnt know it at the time.

Sunday league is way more fun than higher level but the game is all about being part of the right team where you all fit together. We all had our roles and were better than we ever should have been. Learn each others game well and have an extremely strong spine.

Amateur retirement on 23:31 - Jul 21 with 3641 viewsThe_Last_Baron

You've done well making it to 33.

I was 18 when my knee was done. Played two seasons in the top league in local football, won a league winners medal at 17 and scored 28 goals in 55 games so it was good while it lasted.

I bet you'll miss playing.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Amateur retirement on 23:33 - Jul 21 with 3630 viewsRobTheMonk

Amateur retirement on 23:25 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

not necessarily that I played with some amazing players that gave up easily. I was fully invested in the team that I stepped down to play for, it was my home village and a very small village. We just had an incredible side and were very close.

I've read lots of footballers books and I can relate to how many went into depression when they stopped the game. It is an enormous void. All week would be the countdown to the weekend for me but I didnt know it at the time.

Sunday league is way more fun than higher level but the game is all about being part of the right team where you all fit together. We all had our roles and were better than we ever should have been. Learn each others game well and have an extremely strong spine.

This is so true. If you can find like minded people it makes everything so much better. Part of the reason I went to carry on with the 5 a side is that I've played in the same team for nearly 9 years and it's a good catchup with some mates.
Amateur retirement on 23:36 - Jul 21 with 3623 viewsfabian_illness

I gave up in my mid thirties due to a couple of nagging injuries I just couldn’t get over.
I was ready to pack up and never missed the playing side, however the dressing room humour and relentless p1ss taking was something I really missed.
I did a couple of years coaching after but decided it wasn’t really for me.
Played at a good standard but my final year when I knew I was done I played with mates in sil 1 and that was the best Fun I’ve ever had.
Amateur retirement on 23:46 - Jul 21 with 3615 viewsStNeotsBlue

Amateur retirement on 23:14 - Jul 21 by Bluefish

One of the best players I ever played with was fat as and barely left the centre circle. But he always managed to find a yard or two of space, was impossible to knock of the balla nd could land the ball on a teammates preferred toe from anywhere on the pitch.

Apparently in his youth, clubs up and down the land were chasing him but he just wasn't bothered. He just liked beer, birds and having a laugh.

In retrospect he was probably scared to make the leap from being a big fish in a small pond which is half the battle.
Amateur retirement on 23:47 - Jul 21 with 3605 viewsSpruceMoose

You are proof that decent players often make terrible pundits

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Amateur retirement on 00:07 - Jul 22 with 3579 viewsLibero

I’m 32 and playing is a huge part of my life, I’d be gutted if I had to give it up, has got me through some very difficult times.

I know what you’re saying about the body though, I used to be a flying winger up until about 21, I had a few years break from playing but when I returned at 24/25 I started playing centre midfield in a three, before eventually dropping back between defence and midfield where I use my positioning a lot more than I use my legs. That being said, I still regularly break the lines with a little dribble, but I much prefer a nice cross field ping or through ball, easier on the knees.

I’ve had real issues with one knee in particular over the last couple of years, as well as my ankles getting into little habit of rolling on occasions, is bloody frustrating at times but similar to what blubfish said about his own experience, I know I’m a much better player in my 30’s than I ever was in my teens and early 20’s.
I’m coming to terms with the fact I won’t cover as much ground as I used to, but that when I get on the ball I make sure I play to my strengths and when not in possession of the ball I'm positioning myself carefully, directing and supporting others/making myself available/etc.
If I suddenly started losing the ball a lot, or couldn’t thread a ball anymore it’d be a problem.

I haven’t played regular Saturday football in years, mostly due to work situ, I probably will always feel like I should have played more Saturdays but did get around a decent number of SIL clubs between 16 to 28, if a mate asked me I’d give it a bash again, in one of the lower divisions, obviously.
Whatever level, I want to play on well into my 40’s, my old man stopped playing Jewson in his late 20’s but played on in various SIL and played and managed Sunday clubs until he was in his late 40’s!
Usually manage to get him out for a couple of games of fives a year, although at 65 and judging from lady years Mark Fish like performance I think he’s finally done...

Sounds like you’ve got yourself a good group going for fives that works for you, we’re lucky in that the friendly fives we play is full of lads who are very competitive, it makes a real difference. Sometimes it’s the highlight of my week having a run around on a Wednesday night with the group.

What outfield position did you play in eleven a side? Can’t adapt your game at all to carry on I’m guessing?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 0:18]
Amateur retirement on 08:59 - Jul 22 with 3288 viewsDecageBruce

I'm 38 in October and still going.

At 33-35 I stepped back from Saturday football (County standard) as I knew that I was slowing down and that I was frustrated with myself and not being able to contribute as much as I would like.

I dropped to playing pub Sunday league which I have loved. Turn up hungover, play, few pints after and then home to ache for 3 days. I also joined a really good Vets set up who train/5 a side once a week and then (when able) play league games.

My game definitely changed once I hit early 30s. Was a pacey/tricky winger/forward for most my time but found that my legs and feet just couldn't keep up with my brain. Now more of a wide midfielder, or CM in a 3. Lets the wipper snappers do my running and just try and pass the ball around and use them. The Vets that I am involved with also have an over 50s team so who knows if I'll still be going by then.

I had 3 years off 27-30 and regretted that ever since
Amateur retirement on 09:09 - Jul 22 with 3257 viewsRobTheMonk

Amateur retirement on 00:07 - Jul 22 by Libero

I’m 32 and playing is a huge part of my life, I’d be gutted if I had to give it up, has got me through some very difficult times.

I know what you’re saying about the body though, I used to be a flying winger up until about 21, I had a few years break from playing but when I returned at 24/25 I started playing centre midfield in a three, before eventually dropping back between defence and midfield where I use my positioning a lot more than I use my legs. That being said, I still regularly break the lines with a little dribble, but I much prefer a nice cross field ping or through ball, easier on the knees.

I’ve had real issues with one knee in particular over the last couple of years, as well as my ankles getting into little habit of rolling on occasions, is bloody frustrating at times but similar to what blubfish said about his own experience, I know I’m a much better player in my 30’s than I ever was in my teens and early 20’s.
I’m coming to terms with the fact I won’t cover as much ground as I used to, but that when I get on the ball I make sure I play to my strengths and when not in possession of the ball I'm positioning myself carefully, directing and supporting others/making myself available/etc.
If I suddenly started losing the ball a lot, or couldn’t thread a ball anymore it’d be a problem.

I haven’t played regular Saturday football in years, mostly due to work situ, I probably will always feel like I should have played more Saturdays but did get around a decent number of SIL clubs between 16 to 28, if a mate asked me I’d give it a bash again, in one of the lower divisions, obviously.
Whatever level, I want to play on well into my 40’s, my old man stopped playing Jewson in his late 20’s but played on in various SIL and played and managed Sunday clubs until he was in his late 40’s!
Usually manage to get him out for a couple of games of fives a year, although at 65 and judging from lady years Mark Fish like performance I think he’s finally done...

Sounds like you’ve got yourself a good group going for fives that works for you, we’re lucky in that the friendly fives we play is full of lads who are very competitive, it makes a real difference. Sometimes it’s the highlight of my week having a run around on a Wednesday night with the group.

What outfield position did you play in eleven a side? Can’t adapt your game at all to carry on I’m guessing?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2020 0:18]

I played in goal up until 22 and loved it. I'd get that satisfaction of scoring a 30 yard volley from making a ridiculous save. 3 shoulder operations later and that became a no go.

Moved slightly forward in to CB role as I can still pass a ball around with both feet, but the lack of pace kills me and since my third shoulder operation I'm more sensible with what I do with my body, so am reluctant to do a slide tackle that I would have done at 21.

The 5's is great though. We play in the local Powerplay league and there's a core of teams including us who've been playing for near 10 years, so a lot of the teams are of similar age and ability. You get the odd wonder team full of kids, but then our team treats it as a competitive laugh.
Amateur retirement on 09:13 - Jul 22 with 3256 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amateur retirement on 09:23 - Jul 22 with 3213 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amateur retirement on 09:13 - Jul 22 by Kieran_Knows

Hadn’t seen that, incredible 🤣

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Amateur retirement on 09:31 - Jul 22 with 3189 viewsIpswichKnight

I was thinking about semi-retiring from hockey this season as I could see loads of really talented younger players coming through and they need the spaces to play. Much to my surprise our club captain messages me and says he wants me to captain the 3s side I play in.... thanks but no!

I played a couple of games for our vets side and actually really enjoyed it might play a few more times for them ( I turn 45 in February ) that and umpiring will be quite enough for me this season.
Amateur retirement on 09:47 - Jul 22 with 3149 viewsLibero

Amateur retirement on 09:13 - Jul 22 by Kieran_Knows

Real-f*cking-talk.
Amateur retirement on 13:12 - Jul 22 with 3042 viewsLeBlue

I played for the same Sunday League team from when I was 16 until I gave it up at 43.

The guys I was playing with at the end weren't born when I started and I played with lots of their Dads.

The whole club was like a family to me, made loads of friends along the way. As others have said, its juist a shame that the head of the 43 year old couldn't be on the legs of the teenage me as reading the game became so easy, doing something about it less so.

Looking back, I pretty much limped through the last couple of years, so feel it was right to give up.

Bizarrely, this was a couple of years ago and I cannot bring myself to go and watch them still. Still meet up with a few of the lads for a pint or two but that's it.
Amateur retirement on 14:17 - Jul 22 with 2970 viewsSwansea_Blue

Amateur retirement on 23:07 - Jul 21 by MattinLondon

Impressive.

There used to be quite a few (decent) ex pros floating around in the Ipswich/Suffolk leagues back when I was playing in the late 80s. Some from the Towen too if my vague memory is right, but I can't remember names.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Amateur retirement on 14:35 - Jul 22 with 2956 viewsCoastalblue

I never played football at any decent level, I preferred it but was a much, much better rugby player and so that's what I ended up doing until my mid 20's to a reasonable standard.

From about 30-35 I played football Sunday mornings and really enjoyed it, it was preseason at age 35 I played a game on a rock hard pitch and jumped over a tackle landing OK but hard. The sole of my foot felt bruised for weeks after. I'd already been finding that the knocks from last week were still being felt this week and being self employed at this stage didn't feel able to continue.

I do iss playing competitive team sports a lot though, regardless of the game there is something unique about the changing room environment that you find nowhere else in life.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Amateur retirement on 15:23 - Jul 22 with 2908 viewsIpswichKnight

Amateur retirement on 14:17 - Jul 22 by Swansea_Blue

There used to be quite a few (decent) ex pros floating around in the Ipswich/Suffolk leagues back when I was playing in the late 80s. Some from the Towen too if my vague memory is right, but I can't remember names.

We turned up once to a 7 a side mixed tournament to find one of the teams from Reading Hockey Club was basically a mixed GB international side ( bar the keeper who was Reading mens 1s keeper ) they did smash us 12-1 but I did get to nut meg Alex Danson!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024